PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea for putting curls in longer hair!

jojo
March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
being the incurable insomniac i am, i have been letting my mind work overtime, trying to think of the many different ways curls and body could be added without heat and would benefit those of you with long hair.

Heres what i have come up with, toilet roll holders! if you put them in nearly dry hair, like rolled them round the tube and secured with a grip/bobby clip surely once the hair dried you would have some big curls?

Anybody want to be a guinea pig and try my invention out? you could also experiment with smaller tubes-kitchen rolls, cling film, tin foil rolls!

Obviously dont do this with dripping wet hair, else you will just get paper mache!

morningstar
March 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
It sounds great except my hair never wants to curl unless it is wet. It never stays curled long either. (that is why I used to perm the life out of it.)

Chromis
March 23rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I did rag curls for my wedding. Worked like a charm, though I probably should have not taken them out so early, my hair doesn't hold curl well.

jojo
March 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
i wonder if you put cling film round the tube, if that would work?

jojo
March 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
oh i love rag curls, my mum used to do these when i was little, wish my hair was longer to try these all out!

Chromis
March 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Your hair is plenty long enough for rag curls I'd think and it would be a lot easier than mine (past tailbone, I really out to update my stats on the new board!). If not, you should still be able to do pin curls :)

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
In the 70's they used to make big smooth plastic rollers in various sizes. (My dad used to call them torpedo tubes.) You could put your hair up wet and get some body and a little wave, but not actual curls. Gotta admit, I don't know if they make those any more.

About that same time some people I knew were using orange juice cans (back then they were made out of metal, but I think some now are plastic and would work). Those were smaller and gave more wave without being overly curly. One woman I knew used a single coffee can on top of her head with all her hair wrapped around it, which gave her a straight-ish, smooth result with good lift and a hint of a wave.

Of course, all these options were done with wet hair, so we were combing while wet, which is generally frowned upon now.

morningstar
March 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
oh i love rag curls, my mum used to do these when i was little, wish my hair was longer to try these all out!

Yes your hair is certainly long enough for rag curlers. I wish to try that sometime. I bought some twisty tube thingies at Sallys for making curls. I just never try much anymore.

jojo
March 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Your hair is plenty long enough for rag curls I'd think and it would be a lot easier than mine (past tailbone, I really out to update my stats on the new board!). If not, you should still be able to do pin curls :)
im shorter now than my siggi, only by an inch or so but i prefer the look of curls on long hair, looks so romantic and lucky you tailbone length i cant wait to get to those lengths, pin curls sound quite fun though!

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
have you herd of pincurls, because that is done useing the same method, except i use my fingers instead of toilet rolls to curl my hair around and secure it to my head with bobby pins, see my avatar?
That is a pin curl bun! i just made it look all pretty. When i let it out i got big loose bouncy curls. It all depends how loose or tight you do the curls. I misted it first too. IT WORKS basically!

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
being the incurable insomniac i am, i have been letting my mind work overtime, trying to think of the many different ways curls and body could be added without heat and would benefit those of you with long hair.

Heres what i have come up with, toilet roll holders! if you put them in nearly dry hair, like rolled them round the tube and secured with a grip/bobby clip surely once the hair dried you would have some big curls?

Anybody want to be a guinea pig and try my invention out? you could also experiment with smaller tubes-kitchen rolls, cling film, tin foil rolls!

Obviously dont do this with dripping wet hair, else you will just get paper mache!

One of the hairdressers I used to work with did this when she was a girl. She had TB length, thick hair, and she said she would wrap it around TP rolls, or empty soda cans. She prefered the soda cans because she could put her hair up while still wet, then blow dry it on low and get lots of loose curls from it.

jtl45
March 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
My sister who has hair my length has been using empty frozen concentrated orange juice cans for years!!
Jim :)

coppercurls
March 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
[quote=Morag;28138]In the 70's they used to make big smooth plastic rollers in various sizes. (My dad used to call them torpedo tubes.) You could put your hair up wet and get some body and a little wave, but not actual curls. Gotta admit, I don't know if they make those any more.

Sally's still carries those. They will straighten curly hair with using heat.