PDA

View Full Version : Wearing up fine and thin hair

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 04:18 PM
My volume is about 3 inches/ 7,5 cm, so average. But on the sides of the head, between the face and the end of the ears, my hair has a lower density. I usually wear my hair down or in a english braid so it looks actually normal, but if I try to do some high bun or ponytail, in that section of the head you can see my scalp. Like, my hair is so fine and thin there that it isn't enough to cover the skin.
Has someone else this problem?

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 04:24 PM
I have a lower density in those areas as well. I think it's not unusual.

Maybe do different styles? Or make it a looser bun. Maybe try a log roll?

Lucy McLucyFace
March 26th, 2020, 06:39 AM
I've asked hairstylists and they say pretty much everyone has a lower hair density in that area. Lots of british people I've come across also had a visible scalp when wearing it up, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Keep in mind as well that wearing your hair up in a high ponytail will put tension in it and worsen the situation over time. I wore my hair on a ponytail every day for years and it really thinned my hairline.

Also if it makes you self conscious then by all means keep it in a low braid or ponytail or a low updo.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2020, 06:59 AM
It's pretty normal to have less hair/scalp visible in those areas. I have that too, always have.

sapphire-o
March 26th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Oh, that's a British thing? My husband is half English and his hair is less dense on the sides, too. Although now he's old he's not exactly good on top, either. :)

Would a side part help that?

Lucy McLucyFace
March 26th, 2020, 07:16 AM
I used the British as an example because they're the most common tourists around here and the Portuguese tend to be hairier than other Europeans on average. But I've seen this trait here and there in pretty much every ethnic group I've encountered

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2020, 07:28 AM
My volume is about 3 inches/ 7,5 cm, so average. But on the sides of the head, between the face and the end of the ears, my hair has a lower density. I usually wear my hair down or in a english braid so it looks actually normal, but if I try to do some high bun or ponytail, in that section of the head you can see my scalp. Like, my hair is so fine and thin there that it isn't enough to cover the skin.
Has someone else this problem?

https://i.imgur.com/zwMV8zh.jpg

lapushka
March 26th, 2020, 07:49 AM
My sides are definitely my "weaker" spots as well. :(

I just bun it and "fluff" a bit in that area (with fingers).

My mom is i and always needs to preen with a comb (fine tooth) to get the scalp cleavage to go. She wears a peacock twist all the time. And it is always on one side and not the other, which is odd too.

Ylva
March 26th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Oh, that's a British thing? My husband is half English and his hair is less dense on the sides, too. Although now he's old he's not exactly good on top, either. :)

Would a side part help that?

I'm not British (Finnish/Swedish) but I have very little hair in these areas. :D It's completely normal and very common. Practically everybody has very little hair there here so I don't care how it looks in an updo.

squirrrel
March 26th, 2020, 09:56 AM
I couldn’t work out what the question was getting at. I definitely vote for not pulling the hair as tight though. My hair hangs gently when I put it up like that, and I don’t notice much thinness, and I don’t get much above 2.5 circumference, although I don’t know if that has much to do with it. *shrugs*. We all have follicles in different places, so I guess we generally don’t have many at that point.

bparnell75
March 26th, 2020, 10:44 AM
I am French and German but both my grandfathers were quite bald on top. In the last 8 years or so my hair has thinned considerably over both ears as well as the hair line. This is also why i LIKE WEARING A POUF in front. I use Cabooki and eye shadow to help make those areas seem thicker. I apply this after I have bunned the hair. Once applied it lasts until I wash again.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2020, 10:46 AM
What a splendid idea! :D

lapushka
March 26th, 2020, 11:21 AM
I am French and German but both my grandfathers were quite bald on top. In the last 8 years or so my hair has thinned considerably over both ears as well as the hair line. This is also why i LIKE WEARING A POUF in front. I use Cabooki and eye shadow to help make those areas seem thicker. I apply this after I have bunned the hair. Once applied it lasts until I wash again.

I have Spanish roots (historic Spanish roots), but joke in this family has always been that that's where the good hair came from (in the sense of lots of hair). My grandad had quite the head of hair up and into his 80s, my grandad's brother as well, my dad, and now me as well (not that thicker is better), but just to explain this "family" and its workings. ;)

cestlavie
March 26th, 2020, 11:35 AM
I get some scalp cleavage in those areas too and I think it's quite common. It helps to wear styles that aren't too tight and when I bun my hair I fluff up the roots when I'm done.

MusicalSpoons
March 26th, 2020, 03:33 PM
For me it's not quite see-through there but definitely noticeably less dense :) I don't have the energy to care!

lapushka
March 26th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Does it get more difficult for you guys closer to wash days?

For me? Yes! Definitely.

Lucy McLucyFace
March 26th, 2020, 04:42 PM

For me? Yes! Definitely.

Since mine is straight, once it gets oily it's basically impossible to put it up as it sticks straight downwards.

It is on the other hand the best time to do braids, they really stay in place then :o

cestlavie
March 27th, 2020, 03:54 AM

For me? Yes! Definitely.

Yes, for me too and I hate it. But dry shampoo helps.

Bri-Chan
March 27th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Yes, I know that is common to have a lower density in that area. But mine is so thin, that people ask me if I have some hair loss problems. I usually wear my hair down, but if I have the will to do, for example, an high ponytail, I feel not so confident with it.

bparnell75
March 27th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Yes, I know that is common to have a lower density in that area. But mine is so thin, that people ask me if I have some hair loss problems. I usually wear my hair down, but if I have the will to do, for example, an high ponytail, I feel not so confident with it.

That's when you put a little eye shadow that matches you hair on your hair line. Might as well try it during the quarantine.=)

lapushka
March 28th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Could you post a picture of the issue? Maybe it's not as bad as you think? We can probably put your mind at ease, but if it's too difficult for you, please don't post a picture. :flower: