PDA

View Full Version : How do you massage your scalp?

MagusBride
March 25th, 2020, 08:59 AM
For those of you who massage your scalp, how do you do it?
Do you focus on certain spots of your head, is there a pattern you use for stimulating scalp circulation, or do you just randomly rub where it feels best?
Do you need to rub all over the entire scalp, or are their certain points to focus on?
Do you use fingers or prefer a tool?
How often do you do it? Once a day, several times a day, a few times a week, etc.?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 25th, 2020, 09:10 AM
I just do it when I think about it. I do it at random, no particular areas get more attention than any others. I rest my fingertips on my scalp with my fingers spread out a little, and I move the scalp in a circular pattern, then move my fingers to the next spot and repeat. Hopefully that makes sense!

Begemot
March 25th, 2020, 09:11 AM
I usually massage my scalp before washing. I massage all over my scalp and use both palms and fingers. I believe the important part is to actually move your scalp with your hands instead of moving your hands over you scalp (I'm probably explaining this very poorly...).

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 12:48 PM
During the shampooing process. That is when I feel the spots where my bun has been the entire week (bit weak feeling, those sore spots, you know). I focus on the entire scalp, thoroughly, because shampooing takes a while for me.

SnowSpot
March 25th, 2020, 02:33 PM
I try to remember it every day. My scalp is somewhat oily and my main washing method is WO. I feel it's important for me to do the massaging and preen/brush the sebum to my lengths. If I do the massage at least 4-5 days a week, my scalp feels a lot better than if I don't.

My main focus is on the temples (it helps with stress) but I do massage the whole scalp. Like Begemot said, I also feel it's important the scalp moves against the skull - that's how the blood circulation is activated and relaxation works, at least for me. I use my fingers and do a small circular movement. My method is pretty similar to Sarahlabyrinths. :)

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 03:20 PM
I massage my scalp with coconut oil every 2-3 washes, an hour before shampooing. I slowly "draw" little circles with my fingers.
Recently I am trying also some fenugreek/methi massages between a wash and another, but it's early to see some effect

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 03:46 PM
When I was a teen, in between wearing high ponytails (a lot), I used to massage my scalp, but no product no oil, so I might have also been "pulling" at the strands a bit instead of "gliding" somewhat due to an oil or product. I lost a lot of hair each time, so I stopped doing that after a couple times, and just washing more frequently. Back then it was right on the cusp of washing once a week to twice/3 times (because I needed it). I think I was 15 or so and it wasn't that long (about a year) after the tragedy of losing my hair (up to a couple bald spots).

But I have had such a bad experience with it that I am careful of manipulating my scalp in any way, so that is why I keep it to when I shampoo, when I tend to lose more hair anyway.

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 04:04 PM
lapushka my scalp is sensitive to manipulation. I mean, I dyed and bleached my roots thousand times and I never had problems. But I have if I massage a lot. I tried the inversion method that "only" increase my dry dandruff. I also tried a 15 minutes indian scalp massage (to do everyday for about forever) and I had troubles with my scalp for months after only few weeks of massages.
So I am very careful with massages and that's why with the fenugreek I am experimenting.

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 04:19 PM
lapushka my scalp is sensitive to manipulation. I mean, I dyed and bleached my roots thousand times and I never had problems. But I have if I massage a lot. I tried the inversion method that "only" increase my dry dandruff. I also tried a 15 minutes indian scalp massage (to do everyday for about forever) and I had troubles with my scalp for months after only few weeks of massages.
So I am very careful with massages and that's why with the fenugreek I am experimenting.

Maybe try it while you are shampooing? It takes 12-15 minutes to shampoo my entire scalp, so I "get in there" quite thoroughly. Gently of course, always!

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 04:29 PM
Mh I can try ... I don't need a lot of time to shampoo my scalp, that's why I thought about massages. Also, I red that fenugreek and coconut oil can be helpful in promoting the hairgrowth so I think they are supposed to not be immediately washed out.

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2020, 05:05 PM
I tend to scritch, so usually with fingernails - but gently! - whenever I feel like it (and have the energy to lift my arms for more than a minute), and wherever I feel like it. Sometimes I do it most days, other times only the day or two before washing, sometimes only just before washing. Manipulation does make more hair shed (but I think less then comes out in the wash) and does definitely dislodge any flakes so if I have to go anywhere I make sure to leave my scalp well alone! Even combing with a fine-tooth comb doesn't get out all the little flakes, only a good thorough washing does. Manipulation also makes my scalp more oily so I need nothing extra in that department!

kelsia.lee
March 25th, 2020, 05:41 PM
I use the inversion method for 5 minutes all over the scalp focusing on my hairline and the sides of my skull

EdG
March 25th, 2020, 06:28 PM
I lie down with my head over the edge of the bed and run my fingers through my hair. I do this to remove tangles near the roots, but it also gives my scalp a good massage.
Ed

FrayedFire
March 25th, 2020, 07:06 PM
I lie down with my head over the edge of the bed and run my fingers through my hair. I do this to remove tangles near the roots, but it also gives my scalp a good massage.
Ed

Do you lay on your stomach or back?

EdG
March 25th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Do you lay on your stomach or back?/I lie down on my back with the edge of the mattress about where my nape hairs begin.
Ed

FrayedFire
March 25th, 2020, 07:17 PM
I lie down on my back with the edge of the mattress about where my nape hairs begin.
Ed

So like your head is supported, but just barely, mostly hanging off the bed but not freely? I use a few different methods, but I don't usually lay down.

EdG
March 25th, 2020, 07:28 PM
So like your head is supported, but just barely, mostly hanging off the bed but not freely? I use a few different methods, but I don't usually lay down.Yes. The benefit is that I can untangle for long periods of time (30 minutes) without becoming tired. It is also a way to lull myself back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. :sleep:
Ed

Stray_mind
March 29th, 2020, 12:15 AM
I usually massage my scalp on wash day before washing.

Sometimes i use only my finger tips the other times i scritch to losen up the dead skin particles. I tend to run trough my hair with my hands too in order to spread the sebum and oils trough the length.

Faraniel
March 29th, 2020, 03:18 AM
When I feel like it I do it every day but I usually don't keep up with it because I get lazy. I usually put my fingers on my scalp and sort of move it around (the scalp) if it makes sense. When I moved the fingers it tangled my hair. I try to do the whole scalp.

LadyMikaelson
April 14th, 2020, 08:54 PM
I only just started them, but I use my finger tips and sometimes switch to the length of my fingers if it feels like I'm not moving my scalp enough. I start at the nape of my neck and work my way to the crown, the sides, and then the top. I do little circular motions for a few seconds in the same area then move my fingers to the next spot just above where I just was. Once I feel the hair start to tension around my fingers I take 'em out of my hair and place them back down on my scalp. This helps me avoid the hair tangling around my fingers. I do this on dry hair with clean hands. :)

Kalamazoo
April 16th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Sometimes I massage my scalp with my finger tips, moving back and forth in short, straight lines. But my preferred method is to bend forward from the waist (standing on a stepstool, to keep my hair off the floor), while using two fine-toothed wooden combs, one in either hand, to massage vigorously in small straight lines. Usually I do this with dry hair, but I may add stuff like oil, or witch hazel, or aftershave, or ... whatever I feel like. If the additional product is too watery & makes my hair too wet to use wooden combs, then I switch to ox horn fine-toothed combs.

Note: My hair likes being detangled with a fine-toothed wooden comb. I add oil to each knot to work through it. And I oil the comb. And I keep my S&D scissors handy in case I have to use them. But usually, I can oil my way out of 99% of my tangles.

I tried using a wide-toothed comb, but it's just not for me. My hair does great with fine teeth, 8 teeth/inch.

So that's my version of The Inversion Method. I may do it as long as 30 minutes at a stretch, & I may do it several times a day. Every day. I think my method should be called "high manipulation". I read about all these folks doing low manipulation, and all I can say is, I'm doing the opposite. It's what makes my hair happy.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Do what works for you.

Flittingsis
November 21st, 2021, 09:55 AM
When I massage my scalp it is to move/remove the scalp gunk so I use my fingertips and make small circular motions over the top of the scalp. I usually add a couple drops of oil to my fingertips to help break up the gunk. I like the Denman scalp brush for daily use, but find my fingers really work better. Because I use oil I usually only do this the evening before wash day. I start my massage at the hairline and work toward the center of the back of my head. So I'll start at ears and work in then start at the temples and work in. Continue that process until I've done my whole scalp. I've never really tried just moving the scalp around since the purpose of my massage is to remove gunk. The manipulation is not too much for my hair. I have less fall out the morning after a thorough oil massage than usual.

Pouncequick
November 21st, 2021, 12:27 PM
Maybe try it while you are shampooing? It takes 12-15 minutes to shampoo my entire scalp, so I "get in there" quite thoroughly. Gently of course, always!

I really need to level up my shampooing game. I take about that long while conditioning but rarely take very long to smack shampoo all over my head. Not even for the medicated stuff that I leave on for 5ish minutes. Lately I've been trying to wash my scalp more similar to how I would wash it during my brief CO experiment since that completely rid me of itchies and gunk for a month. This is inspiring to go all in with massaging that shampoo everywhere and as thoroughly as possible.

How do you do this? Head upside-down without the water on after getting it damp?

7up
November 21st, 2021, 07:14 PM
I massage my scalp 2-3 a week and do a version I saw on a YouTube video. Basically I’ll just do different hand motions from the top of my scalp to the very nape and repeat it a few times and then repeating the whole process with the different motions. It takes me 3-5 minutes at most. it’s hard to describe the hand motions on text but it’s a series of pressure points, circles, zigzags, and dragging the fingers all over.
If I feel up to it I’ll do it with the inversion method but I’m usually not to be honest, I get so dizzy! I enjoy also using oils like pure coconut or my own oil I make with rosemary, coconut, castor, Argan oil, and lavandel essential oil. Sometimes I use the ordinary hair density serum as well. I don’t use oils every time though!

In my experience I have found that while my hair doesn’t really grow faster with the scalps I get incredible relaxed and my scalp feels amazing which is a positive enough for me to keep going. However The nape hairs that never use to grow past like 2 inches have almost caught up to past my collar bones which has never happened before! I have no idea what I did or used to attribute to this but I’m guessing it’s a combination of everything. I love scalp massages so I will continue doing them.

JasminxCat
November 21st, 2021, 10:04 PM
I massage it sometimes but rarely. I use my finger tips (not nails) and mainly focus on the areas that are slower in growth. I'll drag my fingers across by pulling through my scalp, or open and and close motions with all fingers

sipnsun
November 29th, 2021, 10:41 AM
I bought a scalp massager from Amazon awhile back and I love it. The tips are very soft and rubbery but don't grab or tangle my hair. I oil pretty heavily and then bend at the waist hanging my head upside down and massage little circles over my whole head for a few minutes before shampooing.

Noetsie
December 1st, 2021, 09:30 AM
I just use the tips of my fingers, or sometimes my tangle teaser, but I'm definitely thinking of buying a scalp massager

SaveTheTapirs
December 1st, 2021, 10:30 AM
I usually comb with a wide-tooth wooden comb, then either use my fingers with some oil, or use a scalp exfoliator brush I got on Amazon. It has hard plastic bristles, not silicone, so it gets rid of any buildup and definitely increases circulation.

cutie-pie
January 14th, 2022, 11:16 AM
On the day I wash my hair I put warm oil on my hair, section by section and do the inversion method with head massage.

spidermom
January 14th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Most of the time I bend forward with hair falling toward my feet and comb over my entire scalp while pressing teeth into scalp. My comb has rounded teeth so it doesn't scratch or hurt at all.