PDA

View Full Version : Hair ties that look like telephone cords

groovylocks
March 24th, 2020, 10:39 PM
Has anybody tried these? they are those plastic ones that look like telephone cords. I tried these because I read that they are more gentole than hair ties, but I found that they felt like they were ripping at my hair more.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3772985/womens-8-pack-coil-hair-tie.jsp?skuid=43039055&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=UNBRANDED%20JEWELRY&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=43039055&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835852&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzr6EvuO06AIVCYbICh1u7gV_EAQYAyAB EgIeX_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Laurab
March 24th, 2020, 10:50 PM
I know a lot of people like them, but they aren't for me. I'm very tender headed, and I just found them too heavy, though they hold my hair well.

JennGalt
March 24th, 2020, 11:29 PM
A lot of people say they are damage free, but when I tried them they always ended up causing awful tangles and had to be cut out. Maybe that’s just a curly thing? Idk. But I get less tangles using plain rubber bands than those things, so the ones that are left are gathering dust now. I don’t recommend them if your hair is tangly and curly unless you want your hair to knot up around them. Mesh hair ties and satin scrunchies are much better IMO.

moonsista
March 25th, 2020, 12:57 AM
I don't really do ponytails since they tug at my hair at the base of the head too much regardless of the hair tie, but I've been enjoying the little cord ones, Invisibobble Nano's, for the ends of my braids a lot!

squirrrel
March 25th, 2020, 01:13 AM
My hair doesn’t like them at all. It gets caught in the bends, however careful I try to be, and then gets all tangled up. Not for me, this one.

Servana
March 25th, 2020, 01:59 AM
Yeah no they don't work for me. I have some little ones that I like to use on the end of braids but if I use one of the bigger ones for a ponytail my hair gets all tangled in the bends.

Hexana
March 25th, 2020, 03:15 AM
I don't do ponitails at all, but when my hair was a bit shorter I could use them for an occasional (very) low pony. As my hair grew it stated to tangle a bit around them and I had to be very careful when I was pulling them out (and my hair is straight). If you will buy them, I would still recommend the originals (invisibobble) because I had some knockoffs first and they were waaay worse!

Ylva
March 25th, 2020, 03:18 AM
For the life of me, I can't use them to tie ponytails. I get awful tangles and they end up pulling on my hair and feeling really uncomfortable. But the small ones are nice for tying off braids.

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 04:43 AM
They are great for loose low ponytails, but for high ones, my iii hair just *eats* them. :lol:

Lucy McLucyFace
March 25th, 2020, 04:52 AM
Been using them for a few years now and they work wonders for me for braids but not ponytail as it tends to tangle when placed far up. I honestly would not recommend to anyone who doesn't have straight hair as the coiling in the tie can get caught in your waves/curls.

Also don't recommend for anything other than a single braid. With 2 braids it starts to get very heavy over time. I can only keep it on for a few hours and then it gets uncomfortable

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 05:15 AM
Been using them for a few years now and they work wonders for me for braids but not ponytail as it tends to tangle when placed far up. I honestly would not recommend to anyone who doesn't have straight hair as the coiling in the tie can get caught in your waves/curls.

Also don't recommend for anything other than a single braid. With 2 braids it starts to get very heavy over time. I can only keep it on for a few hours and then it gets uncomfortable

Yes, that's very true! I don't have an awful lot of texture, and still... it can get caught already.

If you just loosely can do it, like for a low loose pony, that's all right, still, but a tight style and you have to wind that thing around nice and tight. Ugh. Noooo!

RunOnCaffeine
March 25th, 2020, 05:43 AM
I find them good for a ponytail, no catching or tangling. My hair is wavy and doesn't tangle or knot anyway though. I can't use them to tie off braids because my hair tapers and they unwrap themselves.

Alila
March 25th, 2020, 06:01 AM
I use one in my sports hairstyle. I do karate and muay thai. I can't put my hair up in a bun since it would be in the way for a few things and I would have to use a hairstick which seems like it might be a hazard. An almost knee length braid is super annoying though.

So I wear a braid, fold it in three with the tassle hanging down and secure it with an invisibobble hairtie. Looks a bit odd but it works.
For this honestly hyper specific scenario I've found that the invisibobble is the only hairtie that doesn't slide out.

SleepyTangles
March 25th, 2020, 06:05 AM
I like them, even when I had waist lenght hair :). Different manufacturers have different grips and holds, so YMMV.
I find them very good for the beach, for showering, and physical activity.

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2020, 08:28 AM
There is apparently a vast difference between the original Invisibobbles and all the knockoffs. Knockoffs tangle terribly for me, but I haven't enough use for hairtie-type things anyway to justify trying the originals.

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 10:20 AM
There is apparently a vast difference between the original Invisibobbles and all the knockoffs. Knockoffs tangle terribly for me, but I haven't enough use for hairtie-type things anyway to justify trying the originals.

I haven't seen the original (would cost an arm & a leg to get), so I can't help but make do with the knock-offs. How can they possibly be that different? :shrug:

bparnell75
March 25th, 2020, 11:37 AM
This is the best use I have found for these.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141968

moonsista
March 25th, 2020, 11:53 AM
They're not THAT different, but the main thing is the knock-offs tend to have some pretty noticeable "seams" where the coil was formed in that round shape, and that can snag at your hair, plus with the original Invisibobble "coils" are thick and round/smooth, while some ones are thinner and "sharper", I guess, and that causes strands to get stuck in them. That's just from what I've noticed.

However, it totally depends on the brand, so it's probably best to buy them offline to be able to see them up close - I have a few knock-offs that are great quality :)

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2020, 12:14 PM
I haven't seen the original (would cost an arm & a leg to get), so I can't help but make do with the knock-offs. How can they possibly be that different? :shrug:

I'm fairly certain was mentioned on a thread about an article about the creators of it - I can't seem to find the thread though :confused: [I know for sure it was mentioned that the originals lasted people longer than the knockoffs.]

KokoroDragon
March 25th, 2020, 12:21 PM
I bought a pack of these a few weeks ago, because I'd also heard they were gentle and caused less breakage. I don't really do ponytails, but they didn't work for the ends of my braids - I think I would need smaller ones for that.

I have found a good use for them, though. My hair is still too short to really bun it, but if I'm taking a shower/washing my face/etc. where I need my hair up and out of the way, I can do a quick "bun" on top of my head with the hair tie. I don't double it up, just place it around my hair. It distributes the weight pretty evenly, and is loose enough that it doesn't tangle with my hair. It probably wouldn't stay for too long, but I don't need it to.

SleepyTangles
March 25th, 2020, 12:44 PM
I'm fairly certain was mentioned on a thread about an article about the creators of it - I can't seem to find the thread though :confused: [I know for sure it was mentioned that the originals lasted people longer than the knockoffs.]

I think you are looking for this thread, Spoons! :D
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151780

curly girl fla
March 25th, 2020, 01:57 PM
those coiled things are the work of the devil imo...tangled in my curls and even in my daughters silky hair. horrendous li'l buggers...i'll stick with my satiny scrunchies and pony-o's.

truepeacenik
March 25th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Not a fan. A few hairs come out each time, heavy and look like jelly shoes.

MidnightMoon
March 25th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I never tried them because I find them very ugly :/ wouldn't leave the house wearing that.

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 02:42 PM
I was very skeptical. But I received them as a gift and what a surprise! My fears were for the tangles, since my hair get tangles very easily, but they don't do them. They ... actually work for my hair type. I use them for a braid or to a high and loose ponytail before going to bad.
Mine are the original Invisibobble

MusicalSpoons
March 25th, 2020, 05:08 PM
I think you are looking for this thread, Spoons! :D
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151780

Yes that's the one, thank you! :flowers:
Maybe the remark about quality was in the article then because I don't see it in the thread. Having felt the difference even between various knockoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but I still can't personally testify for the originals.

0xalis
March 25th, 2020, 05:19 PM
I prefer nylon hair ties the most, but I have some scunci telephone cord hair ties too, just because they're cute :P

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Yes that's the one, thank you! :flowers:
Maybe the remark about quality was in the article then because I don't see it in the thread. Having felt the difference even between various knockoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but I still can't personally testify for the originals.

Same here. Just gotta make do with what you got, I guess. :o

Robot Ninja
March 25th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Not a fan. A few hairs come out each time, heavy and look like jelly shoes.

But do they come in hot pink with sparkles inside? :cool:

I've tried a knockoff brand, they weren't secure enough for a ponytail and I have too much taper to use them for braids, and pantyhose hair ties serve me fine for that purpose anyway. I don't wear ponytails often enough to bother trying to find the "real thing."

JadedByEntropy
March 25th, 2020, 08:20 PM
they work great for my hair type, but the OldNavy brand ones broke really quickly. i like not having dents and can wear my hair down after work and it looks freshly washed, but i also hate how they look like literally a phone cord. I'm of the wrong generation to think that's fashion. :laugh:
They don't have the size for my diameter, so 3x around is too much, 2x is too loose but somehow they hang on and don't slide down easily. I just went back to braids though so they're useless. Only two survived though of the 5 pack so it doesn't matter anyway.

Longlegs
March 25th, 2020, 10:58 PM
I don't like them because they are hard to remove, they pull my hair out, I think having wavy hair makes it harder.

Belgrade Beauty
March 26th, 2020, 02:04 AM
I guess here at LHC for us professional hair careers this is not damage free at all. I bought a few when I first started doing protective hairstyles and this is absolute crap. I can't for the life of me, figure out how this works. It literally rips my hair when I try to take it off. And I read here somewhere that the girl who invented them is making a lot of money blah blah. I don't know how,TBH, ...

windyballoons
March 26th, 2020, 11:43 PM
They just tangle for me.

TatsuOni
March 27th, 2020, 07:00 AM
I don't wear ponytails, but I like them for my braids.

0xalis
March 27th, 2020, 02:34 PM
But do they come in hot pink with sparkles inside? :cool:

Mine do! :D

Entangled
March 27th, 2020, 03:18 PM
They seem popular among those with very straight, slippery hair.

cathair
March 27th, 2020, 06:34 PM
I gave some clear Primark ones a shot. Nightmare to get out of my hair, very very difficult. They did hold my hair pretty securely, that's about the best thing I can say for them. Now they hold bundles of cables instead (badly).

UncommonTart
March 27th, 2020, 09:28 PM
I like them quite a bit. Haven't seen any damage at all, they hold my hair well, and they come in glittery shades, lol.

Also, I've never had one break which is more than I can say for other hair bands. They do stretch out but if you pop them into a glass of hot water they tighten right up again.

LittleHealthy
March 28th, 2020, 05:51 AM
They seem popular among those with very straight, slippery hair.

I have to say, that is my exact hair type but I haaate this type of hair tie!! They've never worked for me, they still feel a bit snaggy and I can't get a tight, neat finish with them (I know that's the point, but on my smooth, straight hair I like some security haha).

Stray_mind
March 29th, 2020, 05:49 AM
It tends to grab my hair and pull it out or break it upon removal, so i am not a fan.

demonamay
April 8th, 2020, 07:03 PM
I’ve been using them for years. They are perfect.

Blue Mermaid
April 9th, 2020, 12:36 AM
The extra large works well as a ponytail holder for me, very secure. I have very heavy, course hair. It doesn't tangle too bad for me if I unwrap it carefully instead of just sliding it through my hair. There is a huge difference between the name brand and the knock offs in my opinion. The knock offs stretch out easily, dont hold tightly, etc.