PDA

View Full Version : Long hair?

kelsia.lee
March 23rd, 2020, 09:50 AM
How long have y'all wanted long hair, and how long do you want your hair to be when it is fully grown out to your dream length.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2020, 10:05 AM
How long have y'all wanted long hair, and how long do you want your hair to be when it is fully grown out to your dream length.

Well I'm at my goal length. ;)

I had classic length as a young teen (age 10) and always wanted to go back to that, so when I turned 44, September 2015 I reached it. I did cut back to hip November 2016, because I didn't realize I had to carefully maintain classic length (longer is too much and makes me want to chop it all off). Now I have a good system in place.

2x a year or so, I cut my layers in, and in between I just do Feye's self-trimming method. Works for me!

I think I'm a long-haired girl at heart.

Plenty of experimenting though, even on this board, and in my teens and 20s!

Dark40
March 23rd, 2020, 10:10 AM
Well, I've always wanted long hair all of my life. :D I've had long hair as a child but during my adolescent years it was a lot shorter than MBL. Then, during my teenage or high school years it was pretty long at BSL, and during graduation year I chopped it off shorter to a chin length bob, and I've worn that bob for 6 years, and ever since I've joined here at LHC my hair was SL, and now it's WL.
I'm trying to grow mine out to terminal length. Or, trying to see how long it will grow, and once it grows there if I can handle it or like it there I will maintain it there, and if not I will maintain it at mid-thigh length.

TatsuOni
March 23rd, 2020, 10:11 AM
I've wanted long hair since I was 15. My goal is terminal or ankle. Whatever comes first :)

Ylva
March 23rd, 2020, 10:12 AM
I had long hair as a child (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40568&d=1583757819), and then had it shorter for a number of years for practicality. In my later teens, I let it grow out again out of disinterest and self-isolation. It's been hip-length or longer since perhaps 2013, and hip-BCL is what I call my limbo length because I "maintained" it there for so long without particularly trying to do so.

I don't particularly WANT long hair but I don't know what else I might want, either. It's been long a lot of my life so that's fine, it can be that way. I will maintain somewhere between TBL and classic once it gets there to get rid of damage.

squirrrel
March 23rd, 2020, 11:32 AM
I always thought my hair didn’t grow past around BSL/mid back as a child and when I was around 10 I didn’t believe someone who told me she had had hair long enough to sit on when younger. I guess I thought hair only grew so long against the body. I think I have always been interested in long hair, but not strongly enough to not chop off length when others suggested that a different cut would be better.

I discovered the forum when investigating no poo, and the SO wash method. I even tried it for a good few months, until I realised I wasn’t spending enough time on it. Now I am either ignoring my hair beyond wash, braid, put up, or focusing on it, and on gaining length. Probably since discovering the site, and finding out what is possible then.

MusicalSpoons
March 23rd, 2020, 12:36 PM
Forever? My hair was kept in a bob until I was 5 or 6 for practicality (to take tap-dancing exams, if it was longer it had to be put into a bun, which when attempted on my hair at that time ended up more pins than hair and still didn't stay :lol:) but apparently I wanted to grow it out insistently enough that I was allowed to after that. I kept it long, between hip-TBL as I thought it didn't grow longer than that (thank you very much, hair elastics :rolleyes:) until I discovered LHC.

When I discovered LHC, knee was a fantasy wish when I discovered it was actually possible for actual living humans, then as it became a realistic prospect, my goal shifted to calf. Now I'm happy with that, but ankle is tempting just to try, and maybe floor, just to see whether my hair can make it - but I fully anticipate my hemline being too wispy for my liking even if it can grow that long, so in the long run I think calf will be my happy length anyway :)

Todd
March 23rd, 2020, 01:10 PM
I remember a day back in 3rd Grade where my hair had accidently grown out longer than it had ever been, like maybe collar length, and my mom encouraged me to comb it and when I looked in the mirror afterwards I was briefly horrified that I looked like a girl... But I soon decided it was preferable to the usual short hair that everyone else had at the time. From that day forward I decided long hair was my favorite.

hennalonghair
March 23rd, 2020, 01:16 PM
How long have I wanted long hair?
Always and I had long hair for most of my life except for high school. The longest it’s been is TBL and it’s there again only this time it silver-grey. A great base colour for adding other colours to like pink, purple, blue etc., Its fun!

Gwyned
March 23rd, 2020, 01:59 PM
I've always preferred long hair on myself. I am growing to terminal length because my hair is super tightly curly and has a lot of shrinkage.

KokoroDragon
March 23rd, 2020, 02:13 PM
My older cousin used to have hair so long she could sit on it, and I wanted so badly to be able to do that as a child. I managed to get it barely long enough to sit on if I tilted my head back before I got frustrated with tangles and chopped it all off. Now I'm back to growing out my hair and still have the same goal - to be able to sit on it. :)

AmaryllisRed
March 23rd, 2020, 04:01 PM
I only want long hair half the time. The rest of the time I put up with it because if I cut it, I'd have to wait years to have it long again. Long hair is not for the fickle. :)
My goal is knee.

Puffer Fish
March 23rd, 2020, 06:44 PM
I've always wanted waist length braids. My mom forced me to have a pixie cut as a child, which made it worse. After I got her to stop doing that, I grew my hair out with reshaping cuts to be about armpit length by freshman or sophomore year of high school. I had such dysphoria to it that I thought it was barely collarbone length!

I got it cut to my chin then, and hovered within chin to collarbone for years before meeting LHC and trying to grow it out again. I made it back to APL, but got very depressed and decided to trim it. Then the chop urges kept coming. I ended up with my first willing pixie of my adult life and grew that back out. I've worked on the depression, and am doing much better too. I had the grow out of that looking really nice, but then I got the idea that a short bob with blunt bangs would look cute on me because I found girls that kind of looked like me with it on Pinterest.

They did not. That was this past February. Now I'm finally in a stable emotional place and am prepared to be annoyed at my hair until it's long enough to do something with. The goal is still waist, but I'm willing to allow waist length loose if I like it. Otherwise, gonna keep going until I have a waist length braid!

Regardless, all of this has taught me that bangs are mandatory for my face. Plus I think they're fun.

Servana
March 23rd, 2020, 06:44 PM
I've always preferred long hair. Before school age I had beautiful long hair. Extremely shiny and straight, with loose ringlets at the ends. However, my mother disliked long hair and had no idea how to deal with my very thick hair because she had very thin, fine and short hair.

So she always forced me to get it cut short. 1. To prevent lice (which was always going around at school) and 2. Because she couldn't manage it.

Once I got to high school I was allowed to make my own hair decisions and I pretty much always had long hair from then on. Always between waist and hip.

Since leaving high school though I've gone through cycles of growing my hair out to waist/hip and then cutting back to somewhere short like MBL or APL.

Currently I'm back at waist length after cutting to shoulder 1.5 years ago and having several trims in between. My goal is hip and probably no longer than that because I'm not a fan of the look of butt-length hair personally and I find once I'm at hip it gets caught in absolutely everything and becomes quite irritating.

GlacierLacie
March 23rd, 2020, 07:21 PM
Always wanted/loved long hair since I was young. Even went through multiple hairstyles to see if it's what I truly want. Now that I'm 21 I want my hair to be knee length.

AutobotsAttack
March 23rd, 2020, 10:55 PM
Wanted long hair since forever. Currently have what I call “somewhat long hair”. My current goal is mid-thigh length, but I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna grow it as long as it will go for the rest of my life. I might try to see how long it will get natural, since I’m currently relaxed, but I’ll more than likely transition, instead of chopping off significant amounts of hair, because I’m sure I’ll hurt my own feelings if I do that.

leafygreens18
March 24th, 2020, 09:30 AM
I did always sort of want long hair, but it wasn't ever something I had the resources to do. I didn't really get interested in wanting looong hair until middle school - but I still didn't have the resources to grow it until the past year or so.

Iyashikei
March 24th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Pretty much since I was a teen. I never really went with it until now because of peer pressure though.

Siv
March 24th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Since I was little I guess, or I always had long hair but never made it past waist because heat damage. Lately it's taken on a weird spiritual aspect or something, like, commitment, personal development, patience, I dunno. Makes me appreciate how my body works, biology, the world around us.

Reyn127
March 24th, 2020, 07:40 PM
I started wanting very long hair about 9-ish years ago, after I buzzed my head. The idea was to buzz it, and grow it out to be longer than it had ever been before as a contrast. I started really focusing on growing about 5 years ago, around then I stopped trimming it so often.

Originally my goal was classic, which I honestly didn’t think I’d reach. Now my goal is in the knee/upper calf range, and I’ve been at/past classic for a little over 6 months now.

ArtOfNoot
March 24th, 2020, 08:58 PM
Your little bangs are the CUTEST :heartbeat

ArtOfNoot
March 24th, 2020, 09:00 PM
I had long hair as a child (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40568&d=1583757819), and then had it shorter for a number of years for practicality. In my later teens, I let it grow out again out of disinterest and self-isolation. It's been hip-length or longer since perhaps 2013, and hip-BCL is what I call my limbo length because I "maintained" it there for so long without particularly trying to do so.

I don't particularly WANT long hair but I don't know what else I might want, either. It's been long a lot of my life so that's fine, it can be that way. I will maintain somewhere between TBL and classic once it gets there to get rid of damage.

Your little bangs are so CUTE :heartbeat

(sorry for the double post everyone, I've been MIA from this cite for about a month now so I'm a bit rusty on the mechanics haha)

Ylva
March 25th, 2020, 03:12 AM
Your little bangs are the CUTEST :heartbeat

Thank you! :D

Sadly, bangs are a definite no-no these days because my face gets so oily.

Natalia_A00
March 25th, 2020, 10:29 AM
When I was a child I always had chin or shoulder length hair, but I dreamed about having longer hair. My mother always forced me to cut it and put a lot of pressure on me to do it. Now that I'm older I do what I want with my hair, so... I started my long hair journey in 2018 (when it was BSL) and now, it's tailbone length. My goal length is a middle ground between tailbone and classic (maybe wrist length).

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 03:07 PM
I started thinking about a serious growth when I was about 16 I guess... but almost everytime I reached BSL I cut it back to shoulder or armpit because I hate BSL on me. One time I reached WL with the aim of BCL but ending cut it for some reason ... but my deal length is BSL/MBL. I am always tempted to cut back to armpit when I am there :rolling: also the last time, I was soooo near to cut. I basically never longer hair bc of that.

luzimerka
March 25th, 2020, 07:15 PM
I cut it wayy too short a couple years ago, and I will never go back to short hair :-)

unheardletters
March 25th, 2020, 08:03 PM
I’ve wanted long hair for almost 9 years now, but I have had a lot of set backs (mostly due to hair pulling issues), but I am trying once again (third attempt). My goal is currently classic length, but it will very likely change. I dream about fingertip to knee length, but I’m not sure about that as I’ve never even been to classic yet.

Dark40
March 27th, 2020, 07:58 PM
When I was a child I always had chin or shoulder length hair, but I dreamed about having longer hair. My mother always forced me to cut it and put a lot of pressure on me to do it. Now that I'm older I do what I want with my hair, so... I started my long hair journey in 2018 (when it was BSL) and now, it's tailbone length. My goal length is a middle ground between tailbone and classic (maybe wrist length).

Hey, your story sounds like the country singer, 'Crystal Gayle's," story. She said to an interviewer one day that as she was growing up as a child her mom kept her hair cut up to her chin for many years until she was grown enough to move out on here own, and she did. So, as she moved out on her own she started her long hair journey, and she just kept on letting her hair grow. She never knew how long it could grow, and now she keeps it at ankle length.

Juicetine
March 28th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Up until I was in 11th grade, my stepmom kept my hair between MBL and BCL. When I moved in with my mother I cut it shoulder length and then into a pixie. After about a year of maintaining the pixie, I decided to grow it out. It wasn't until two years into growing it out that I decided I wanted long hair again. I am currently at Hip Length but in my brain it's not long yet lol. My goal is Classic Length even though my family won't like it. In Dominican culture, hair down to your hips is beautiful but any longer is considered gross and unkempt.

bparnell75
March 28th, 2020, 10:20 AM
I have enjoyed moderately long hair several times in my life. But I have always wanted to grow old with log hair. I am fulfilling that dream now. I have reached my sweet spot and am maintaining. 3 inches short of classic because I do not like sitting on it. I can do any kind of bun I wish and I still get oohs and awes when I let it down. I am happy with its length.

0xalis
March 28th, 2020, 08:52 PM
I wanted long hair when I was a little kid, and then I had it, and then I wanted change so I went with a bob. I liked that for a while, then I experimented with different short styles, and then I wanted it long again. Rinse & repeat.
So basically on and off my whole life. I have posted my whole hair story elsewhere on here and I have a link to that thread in my profile, lol.

I want it long enough to put it all up into a bun and forget about it, and not so long that it drives me insane. That could be anywhere from APL to floor lol I have no idea what I like yet.
All I know is I want low maintenance and I look a lot better with a bun than a buzz cut.
TBL really appeals to me when I think about hair that is impressively long (by normie standards) but not so long that I can't wear it down in public occasionally.

Jools69
March 31st, 2020, 02:14 PM
How long have y'all wanted long hair:

From my earliest memory, I’ve always wanted very long hair. As a toddler, my mother grew my hair halfway down my back. Then she decided I should have a pixie and so for the next 10 years, I battled to have long hair, varying between short and down to APL. The longest it ever got was BSL at 13, before it was cut short with a perm - it was 1982! :o

For the next 30 years, my hair varied between chin length and shoulder length until 5/7 years ago, I decided to try to grow it at least to waist, but it was really getting any longer, as I was using heat and chemical treatments. So 18 months ago, I started taking better care of my hair and now it’s just past BSL, nearly MBL - the longest it’s ever been. :)

How long do you want your hair to be when it is fully grown out to your dream length:

My interim goal is waist, but I’m tempted to grow it much longer. Perhaps until terminal length. Whatever that is!