PDA

View Full Version : Started growing out a skin fade 6 months ago.

stardust lady
March 22nd, 2020, 05:14 PM
Never had short hair in my life. I have thick wavy hair and got it Japanese straightened last summer. The lady said I could put it in a ponytail after 5 days. Nope. Left a permanent bend. You know the bend you get when you take your hair out of a ponytail? Imagine always having it. Always. Anyways, I cut it to my shoulders after that. The bend caused some ends to just flip out randomly. So I knew I had to cut it again.

Okay so this is where I goofed up. The straight hair didn't really look good on me. I have those wavy hair genes and having pin straight hair looked a little goofy. It made it look thin, despite my hair being pretty darn thick (every hairdresser always says "wow so thick!"). Well for some reason I thought an undercut would be a good idea.

So I got about 3/4ths of my head buzzed. The top was at bob length. I looked like a cool Viking warrior. Got so many compliments. People always asking to take a picture of it. But honestly guys, it's a pain in the butt. Having to style it every day so all the hairs on top lay in one direction. I got that fluffy kinda hair that doesn't lay well, so it was a tall order. Every time the wind blew a little bit I had to adjust it. I love this haircut but it wasn't for me, for practical reasons.

Well I got the top cut to a pixie and had the sides faded so it would grow more "stacked". 6 months later I still have a pixie, but it's a long pixie. It's grown 3 inches, so very average rate.

I plan on doing a nape undercut once I get to bob length, like this: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/BeCYeNbrW_R_kfZ3mk3xw9L4k-38QV17VDC5AJaAXIX6J1Zi4PCXlNYiUY8c5_qB1xgGJ9envOOw 3O8Ohzx0hXA8CeQSlfztdO3EcKZx22o5Bp_FzTbgSA2fzzk71J C8BDXw_CTjHtiB7CM=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu since my nape hairs are curly, which was the entire reason I got it permed.

Anyways just a cautionary tale about permanent straightening.

March 22nd, 2020, 06:04 PM
Wow, perm bent hair o_O.

That cut is so pretty ^_^. Too bad it didn't work out... I feel like this all the time, when I find something pretty the upkeep is just too much...

SleepyTangles
March 23rd, 2020, 02:44 AM
I've always admired the "cool viking warrior" cut, sadly I don't have the head shape to go with It.
I totally love the nape shave you planned, I'm sure It will be a great compromise. You can experiment with new dedigns and colors every few weeks, I'm sure it'll be fun!

DakarNick
March 23rd, 2020, 06:23 AM
Awesome idea. Any pics of the undercut bob?

My wife had an undercut BSL cut. I loved it, especially when she French braided it. After growing it out for a while I cut it to shoulder length and then she let me reshave the back and cut an inverted bob.