PDA

View Full Version : Looking for minimalistic/simple hair routine. Low maintenance folks plz come here.

March 22nd, 2020, 04:16 AM
Every hair routine vid is like this:
https://youtu.be/wb_KykAIqvQ

I just can't guys... It's like continuation of my am-i-more-tomboy-than-i-think rant... I'm just really trying but I CAN'T do all these things. I just won't and at some point I realized that if I want the hair of my dreams (which is low maintenance hair, btw, that's like a priority over everything else) I need to do realistic things that:
1. Don't give me crazy allergies or even worse reactions (because, like, sensitive to everything, and I can only do like water only or egg yolk or lately having success with baby shampoo),
2. I will actually do. And that's the point, I won't do everything because I DON'T WANT TO. Ok? Often it's also due to health (I'm so tired I don't have any energy left for extra, it's terrible) but I realized sometimes it's behavioral... Like, I don't want to spend so much time on my hair. I just want low maintenance hair. I want healthy hair, but I want washing/styling routine to be quick, easy hairstyles that keep hair off my face...

I just don't want my life to revolve around my hair and at this point even looking at these vids is like a chore... Not a fun hobby... Having curly hair seems like a curse because apparently I'm supposed to spend whole ****in day on making them look decent :/.

Right now my hair grown out a bit (I trimmed really short again, slightly longer than buzzcut and it worked great for winter, I stopped being so cold lol), it's still short so I don't have to detangle yet. I used to wash with water only but started using coffee before a wash to get thicker hair (still dealing with some hair loss, but a lot less, buzzing helped a lot). I usually rinse with coffee and leave it in the hair and bathe, then rinse it out after a bath. Now due to the flu (I don't know if corona or not, I had terrible infections during the winters before the pandemic so I assumed it's the usual, not corona, dunno) I'm really sweaty and disgusting so I started using some kid's shampoo with cookie ice cream scent xD (I tell you, children's products rock xDD).

The main problem I'm having right now is that with WO I have curly hair without product but it's oily/wet look but with that kiddie shampoo I have fluffy clean hair but it's straight. Like, it's beautifully curly while wet but dries straight. I was thinking maybe if I used DIY gellatin hair gel, anyone tried that? Or any other styler for people allergic to absolutely anything and everything?

Any people with simple routines here? Like, one step? Or two or max three step/product routines? Not ****in ten and wash day taking a literal day + sleeping in rollers (oh my god, do you people want to kill me or what... I just can't...). What your routine is like?

Also any tips from people who don't detangle, do it infrequently or have some hacks for quick detangling because without that it's unlikely I'll ever grow past my shoulders again... And I'd like to, sometime in the future. Hell, I even saw some girl on yt that lives on a boat and keeps her hair in afro braids all the time and unbraids once a month or so, detangles and braids again... And I tell you, she had less hair fall than I was getting detangling 1-2 times a day, dunno how's that even possible.

lapushka
March 22nd, 2020, 04:58 AM
If you can't do long hair, then just... don't. It's not worth it, the hassle.

It's as easy or difficult as you want to make it. You could just wash and go (for real) and just let it dry, no issue. Short hair can handle that. How long is your hair now, or did I read over that (sorry, I can't handle long texts).

March 22nd, 2020, 05:08 AM
Yeah, I was asking about short hair, actually. Do I need to put some styler in to have short curls? Can I have curly hair in two product/step routine? Like, shampoo, rinse it out, and then leave gel in?

My only long hair question was about detangling. I *still* have problems with absolutely everything else other than detangling on short hair. >> My hair are still naturally very high maintenance even when short, somebody help. <<

lapushka
March 22nd, 2020, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I was asking about short hair, actually. Do I need to put some styler in to have short curls? Can I have curly hair in two product/step routine? Like, shampoo, rinse it out, and then leave gel in?

Yes! For sure! Just wash, put some gel in, go. No problem and short curly hair = pretty! :)

My only long hair question was about detangling. I *still* have problems with absolutely everything else other than detangling on short hair. >> My hair are still naturally very high maintenance even when short, somebody help. <<

It's thick, right? Maybe detangle in sections. Divide it into 4, half the head, and then those two halves in half again. Easy, and then clip the rest out of the way, and do one part at a time. Works wonders, and it is faster than doing the head in one go!

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2020, 06:20 AM
Two step truncated/ modified version of Curly Girl method:

Conditioner-only washing/ a 'cleansing conditioner' should leave your curly hair much easier to manage/ much less tangly compared with shampooing. With your sensitive scalp opt for a product that is fragrance-free or very lightly fragranced. From experience CO-washing can remove heavy sebum build-up or heavy oil treatments.

After that a slippy leave-in conditioner applied to soaking wet hair by smoothing, scrunching and/ or 'squishing' can act as conditioner and styling product all-in-one. OR you might order a custom curl defining cream that is basically conditioner plus flaxseed gel (say).***

To keep off your face use small claw clips or soft fabric hairbands. Ideally do not brush/ comb/ detangle curly hair at all between washes. That creates pouf, frizz and damage, which often leads to more snarling and to breakage ....

If you absolutely must detangle dry hair between washes apply a slippy detangling spray or a few drops of a natural oil first - fractionated coconut oil is 'thin' and lightweight - then use your fingers. Yes that is a third product, sorry!

*** 'Sweet Curls Elixirs' springs to mind. Alissa Ponder has chronic health problems herself IIRC, and has suggested to others who are overwhelmed/ confused by options/add-ins for a custom product that they simply message her.

I *think* Alissa has an Etsy shop, but SCE definitely has a Facebook page and she is active under her own name on the Wavy Hair Community (also on FB).

patchoulilove
March 22nd, 2020, 07:19 AM
Out of curiosity, was your routine super involved back when it was long or something? (Your sig reads it used to be tailbone length). Maybe use shampoo bar and diluted vinegar rinse then whatever gel or leave in you like. That would be a simple routine.

March 22nd, 2020, 07:35 AM
Thank you so much, Firefox :).

I'll check her out. Is it EU based? I don't like paying crazy customs, heh. My hair doesn't like flaxseed gel, or at least didn't like it when I made it, that's why I'm planning to try with gellatin, esp. since I do like lanolin as lip balm, even through I ate vegan stuff for last few years (I guess that's past now, with coronavirus craze I live on chicken soup now, huh).

Any conditioner recommendations would help... Something accessible in Europe if her store isn't. I really struggle with finding ANY conditioner that won't literally make me faint in the shower. I liked lightening condish from Polish eco brand Fitomed but it gave me a rash... Had perfect loose ringlets after using it, though, it was amazing... One product wash, lol, I wish I didn't had a reaction to it, *sighs*. That said I'm also not sure if CO will work for me because my hair are either crazy dry or crazy oily. Like, complete oil slick, and nobody talks about it on these curly hair tutorials... Only curly hair's dry because sebum can't travel blah blah... And then I look at my head during oily days and I'm like are these people nuts or what *facepalm*. That's why I'm not sure if I should stay with shampoos and add styler to that to keep the curls *shrugs*, so complicated. Because when I use kids shampoos my hair is normal, not dry, after shampoo without conditioner, my sebum is enough... But it won't curl back without styler/leave-in.

I do have Curly Girl book and read it twice or thrice but it just doesn't seem relevant, I don't know... Just can't figure anything out from it, either I'm retarded or I need to tweak it or use something else completely.

March 22nd, 2020, 07:40 AM
Out of curiosity, was your routine super involved back when it was long or something? (Your sig reads it used to be tailbone length). Maybe use shampoo bar and diluted vinegar rinse then whatever gel or leave in you like. That would be a simple routine.

I was WO washing and oiling my hair on top of that to make it straight then combing twice a day (and each combing session took 1,5 h) to make it straight and remove dandruff flakes then braided/bunned it and never worn it out :(. Oh, I henna-ed every 3 months and then I'd let them loose for few days and then bun again :(.

When they're short they're straighter and the longer the curlier they get... On short hair I can just comb the curls out dry and I have straight hair, on long hair I have 3b/c coils and dry combing gives me white afro, lol.

FrayedFire
March 22nd, 2020, 08:09 AM
How often do you wash? Part of minimizing my routine is just... doing it less. It's a pain and my hair looks worse when I wash it too often anyway, so that's a win-win for me.

If your hair liked WO but looked too greasy for you, perhaps you might have some luck with more experimenting with CO? My hair likes it about half the time, which is much better than the way it responds to shampoo, but YMMV and it depends on the conditioner and day... I can't help with European brands, but I bet someone would be willing to help you with ingredients to look for and avoid.

I'm sorry you have such severe reactions, that must be even more frustrating than when they don't work. I know that some people use... either straight glycerin or aloe vera for a simple gel?

As far as detangling goes, sectioning and going bottom to top really is the way to go. What tool(s) to do you use to detangle?

Wendyclaire
March 22nd, 2020, 02:21 PM
You say your hair is very short now? Guess I don’t understand your issue if it’s not long?

cjk
March 22nd, 2020, 04:32 PM
You say your hair is very short now? Guess I don’t understand your issue if it’s not long?

particularly when it's curly, long hair and short hair present different challenges.

They both have challenges. They're just different.

Other than curly, she didn't actually identify her hair type. Is it a type four afro curl? Or is it loose spirals, more like mine?

And is it mostly a single texture or does she have a mix of everything all in one?

Sounds silly, but details matter.

The most simplified version of curly girl that I can suggest is to do a final wash with an extremely cleansing shampoo. Sulfate based, to get off any build up.

And condition, condition, condition!

The gel is used to help support the curls, it's a personal choice as to whether or not you use it.

But you wash your hair, you condition it beyond anything you can imagine, and then you leave it alone. You don't brush it, comb it, pick it, or even scrunch out the crunch if you used gel, until it is totally dry.

Noticed that word again. Totally! Totally dry.

Curly hair is so beautiful. But it's also very delicate.

March 22nd, 2020, 05:58 PM

I give up, lol. Did you guys ever had short hair? It only solves the combing, other problems stay the same. I still have picky scalp, still have thick hair that are hard to manage... I just don't have to comb and bun, that's a plus.

I don't get it, how YOUR hair acts when it's short?

I don't know how this hairstyle is called, buzz cut grown out into bangs covering my forehead, hair at the sides covers my ears and in the back covers my neck. Hope this explains something *shrugs*.

cjk
March 22nd, 2020, 09:46 PM
I don't know how this hairstyle is called, buzz cut grown out into bangs covering my forehead, hair at the sides covers my ears and in the back covers my neck. Hope this explains something *shrugs*.

I crawled through your water only album, it looks like you and I have similar textures. Curly, but loose spirals.

The haircut you describe sounds like a grown-out version of a Caesar cut.

I remember when my hair was that length, I also grew out from a shave. How can I help? What problems are you actually having?

I'm not sure what you mean by picky scalp.

March 23rd, 2020, 09:24 AM
I crawled through your water only album, it looks like you and I have similar textures. Curly, but loose spirals.

The haircut you describe sounds like a grown-out version of a Caesar cut.

I remember when my hair was that length, I also grew out from a shave. How can I help? What problems are you actually having?

I'm not sure what you mean by picky scalp.

I have different patterns depending on how long my hair is and what I do to them/how much product I put in. I wrote earlier in this thread. I have 1a-3b/c (yes, really). When it's long it's hard to get it straight though. Before it hits my shoulders I can comb everything out straight dry without a straightener. After it passes my shoulders it goes 3b/3c. In my WO album it's all oil straightened and not conditioned (unless you count henna). It's very hard to get so not-curly when long and takes me many hours of combing :/.

Not sure what's so ****in hard to understand about picky scalp. It's picky, it pukes everything out, I can't use anything and have god-knows-what on my scalp all the time. What's so hard to understand about that? Jesus...

Like, I don't know, some people don't have basic reading comprehension, I give up...

Youtube suggested me this, looked pretty ok, I'd skip the oil... Of course I don't have access to these products, etc:
https://youtu.be/_tNvvxJOU6g

At least she didn't put in 50 products, I'm impressed.

///
I really like and am glad for Firegox's suggestions, I will try something two step like she suggests... If anyone has any condish and leave-in condish recs I'd appreciate... Something available in Europe, though, because I'm not planning on immigrating to US to use your hair care products ;] (taxation on worldwide income, no thanks...)

cestlavie
March 23rd, 2020, 09:39 AM
People are trying to help you but it's helpful that you understand each other through written texts. So it's logical people are asking questions about what you are saying to get on the same page and to give the right tips you're asking for in the first place. If you want helpful tips, try to give more details about what you mean by a picky scalp for example and don't insult people right away by their 'reading comprehension'.

I can't give any specific tips because I don't have the same hair type unfortunately but either way you should work with your curly hair using products for curly hair like in the CG method. There a lot of people here who can give you tips on that. Or if you want straight hair you can use heat or heatless methods to straighten it. Like (silk) wrapping it for example. And I agree with Lapushka, you can make it as difficult as you'd like. You can use just shampoo and a styler afterwards. You can use a detangler too to detangle your hair, it's a trial and error process.

Do you like sulfates? Silicone? Non silicone products? Oil or no oil? Experimenting is key Good luck!

March 23rd, 2020, 09:58 AM
That was the point of this thread. I wanted as easy as possible without having to buzz everything off. And first reply was, like, whatever, you don't have to have long hair just cut everything off. :(

I was describing my hair type here since 2016 and with such "great" help I ended up buzzing everything off. Before I joined here and watched YT and earlier also read beauty blogs I had classic length hair. Yeah, damaged, but still. All that beauty advice had such 'good' influence on me that I basically got rid of all my hair, so you know, I'm a bit nervous :/.

I just want simple solutions to my problems and managable hair, not to become a model or something. And all these vids just try to scam me into buying thousand products and spending hours in the bathroom, it's sick. I just bathe in water and use baby lotion afterwards. That's my skin routine, nothing else. I'm looking for something like that for my hair, what is hard to understand here? I put 'minimalistic' in the title. If you don't have/don't know how to create minimalistic routine then why reply? Different people have different needs, maybe someone else needs or prefers more involved routine, but why would I have to read about/watch it?

cestlavie
March 23rd, 2020, 10:05 AM
You're from Poland, right? There's a hair website with a lot of products based on sulfates/non sulfate/silicone/non silicone/moisture or protein like ingredients, also for curly hair: https://napieknewlosy.pl/

Maybe it is easier to pick products from there?
I think there is no one step solution here without a little trial and error with some products otherwise you don't know what is working and what is not. Everyone's hair is different because of hair type, elasticity and porosity. Are there any curly facebook groups you can join also? In my country there are a few and they also share many tips for products from cheap to expensive, simple routines and extensive ones.

March 23rd, 2020, 10:17 AM
I know that store/YT channel... Thank you, though... They spend whole day in the bathroom like everyone else, all tips are for wavy hair and most products just scream 'allergy'. It's quite known channel... To be fair, as far as gellatin goes, she tried using colorful yelly as hair mask, heh. That was pretty cool, I have to say.

I puke at curly anything... Groups or whatever. They're like cults or scams to make me buy tons of products. It'd fine if the products worked but they don't, that's why I'm so angry. Bad advice said over and over again won't magically turn into good advice.

I guess my hair grown into something like that just more unruly xP
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/zxC7Go-b0cTXQDvZMDWKAH_4GMs/0x71:2316x2387/fit-in/2048xorig/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2020/01/10/771/n/1922153/af980a3b5e18b4e9c09895.91748894_/i/mullet-haircut-styling-how-to.jpg
Less hair on the neck.

Dunno if I should stay at this length or cut or let it grow, I'm terrified to even let it grow into a bob TBH...

shaluwm_agape
March 23rd, 2020, 10:55 AM
Honestly I would say that if you want longer hair to find a shampoo and conditioner for curly hair since your hair is already that texture and then all you would need is a styler with a cream or gel that's up to you if you want to go DIY I would suggest flaxseed gel
But since your scalp is picky sulfate and silicone-free maybe the way to go. Simpler products in the ingredients list doesn't have to mean allergies. something like the Cantu line may work.
My sister has curly hair about 3A and the most she spends on her hair is about 20 minutes at the most... and that's even with all the stuff that I recommend LOL

Wendyclaire
March 23rd, 2020, 11:15 AM
I give up, lol. Did you guys ever had short hair? It only solves the combing, other problems stay the same. I still have picky scalp, still have thick hair that are hard to manage... I just don't have to comb and bun, that's a plus.

I don't get it, how YOUR hair acts when it's short?

Of course I’ve had short hair and for me it was wash, dry and go. Easy peasy. I’m all for using less product so a good shampoo, maybe a conditioner and that’s it. If you don’t want long hair then don’t grow it long. Stop looking at YouTube videos and just do what you want to do with your own hair. Sounds like you’re going through other issues other then your hair so maybe your health professional can help you more than people on a long hair forum. Good luck to you.

cjk
March 23rd, 2020, 11:56 AM
I have different patterns depending on how long my hair is and what I do to them/how much product I put in.

So in other words, it's similar to mine. Okay, I might be able to make some suggestions.

I wrote earlier in this thread. I have 1a-3b/c (yes, really). When it's long it's hard to get it straight though.

It didn't jump out at me. And based on other responses, for them either.

Help us help you.

As for the other, straight? You have pronounced curls, why are you straightening it?

I'm confused.

Not sure what's so ****in hard to understand about picky scalp. It's picky, it pukes everything out, I can't use anything and have god-knows-what on my scalp all the time. What's so hard to understand about that? Jesus...

My instinct is to call you some unflattering names, tell you what to do with yourself, and abandon this thread right now.

You're asking for help. No need to be insulting.

Like, I don't know, some people don't have basic reading comprehension, I give up...

The problems you describe can have many causes and diagnoses require detail.

Your inability to communicate properly or provide requested details is not OUR problem.

I understand frustration but, please, watch the attitude.

Youtube suggested me this, looked pretty ok,

Okay, you found something promising. Good!

I made some general suggestions above. Can't help but notice that you choose to ignore that.

Something available in Europe, though, because I'm not planning on immigrating to US to use your hair care products ;] (taxation on worldwide income, no thanks...)

I can't make specific product suggestions, then. Sorry.

MusicalSpoons
March 23rd, 2020, 12:43 PM
cjk posts like yours ^ make me wish with all my being that we had a 'Like' button on here!

OP do you know what ingredients you react to? If not, can you give examples of products you've used that have caused reactions, so that people trying to help have some idea of what level of sensitivity you're dealing with?

AmberWillow
March 23rd, 2020, 03:39 PM
Seems like you just want a low-maintenance hair care routine. I can sympathise.
My hair is 2b/c and it is extremely prone to tangling! Personally, I don't brush mine, but I use deep conditioner on the lengths every time I wash, using my fingers to comb through the lengths. I normally use silicone free stuff, but when my hair is really bad, a coney one works really well. I like the L'Oreal Dream Lengths one in the orange tub. After that, I rinse out and scrunch the ends of my hair with a bit of normal conditioner and/or a leave-in. The two leave ins I have at the moment are the Camille Rose Coconut Water detangling cream, and the Kiehl's Fruit and Avocado Strengthening and Hydrating leave-in cream. They're expensive, though, especially the Kiehl's one, which I got through an offer.

You could also try something along the lines of CGM, which means washing your hair in a cone free conditioner. If your hair is nicely conditioned, it might be easier to detangle.

I don't really have anything to suggest for your scalp, though, as I don't have this problem myself!

The-Young-Maid
March 23rd, 2020, 03:59 PM
Whats so hard about just using shampoo/conditioner/leave in or any combination there of? <Thats all I do. I consider it minimal.

Just find a couple products your scalp/hair likes. Unfortunately, we can't tell you what to use. You'll have to experiment. Use baby shampoo if that's the only thing that works. Make sure you're reading ingredients. Minimal requires a bit of "not giving a f" about how your hair looks/having a easy daily style like braids/bun ect.

This doesn't feel like something we can help with, or even make you happy.

ynne
March 23rd, 2020, 04:53 PM
I had very short hair for most of my adult life. Personally, I found it very easy to look after, besides the need for frequent cuts.

Don't want to detangle or deal with it? Honestly, I suggest you keep it as a pixie, it's a great hairstyle and it's pretty much effortless.
Can't do conditioner? If you think you need it, you can use some rinse instead. Herbal rinse, ACV rinse, whatever your scalp likes; but you should probably consult a doctor on this, not us, as we cannot help or diagnose your skin issues and what's safe for it. Does not require a fancy product.
If baby shampoo works for you, keep on using that; on short hair, that takes a minute. That can be your whole routine if you want.
If it's so short, you don't even need to oil it, since the natural oils should still be able to spread through it, unless, again, you have some skin condition, in which case you should probably treat that first.

I'm not comfortable with your tone in this thread, but still hope this helps.
You will have to figure out what works for you yourself, though, we can only give you tips.

AutobotsAttack
March 23rd, 2020, 11:10 PM
(taxation on worldwide income, no thanks...)

You legit could’ve kept that to yourself. Keep the topic on product selection, not trash talking the United States. Every country has its perceived flaws, but that’s another debacle for another thread on another day.

March 24th, 2020, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry. I should have stayed by myself and shouldn't been talking/writing with anyone on that day.

ynne
May 10th, 2020, 11:52 AM
I was going through my subbed threads and came across this one, and I was just wondering if are you happier with your routine now? :) If it's not better yet, I wish you patience; it's a learning process, but it may be well worth it in the end.

stephy190
May 10th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Honestly I'm so low maintenance with my hair. Just do what works. It depends how high maintenance your own hair is. All I do is shampoo and that's it. My hair doesn't like conditioner lol.. having longer hair actually can actually be lower maintenance as washing it less often is good for it etc. So just maybe don't wash it as much and use whatever products work for you and stick to it? Don't use much heat etc

JennGalt
May 10th, 2020, 07:55 PM
Have you tried the tightly curly method? Or modify it so that you apply your first conditioner and simply don’t rinse it out so it doubles as your leave in/styler and that’s it. Or only a little conditioner if it leaves you too greasy. That way you can still use the shampoo that works for you. It might be worth a try :shrug:

gin
May 10th, 2020, 09:47 PM
I've settled into a pretty minimalistic routine since October/November and my hair and scalp seems to be fine with it. I'm close to TBL/BCL now and it's still growing and is healthy as it ever was.

The ONLY thing I do is I wash my hair every 7-14 days (depending on how lazy I'm feeling). No masks, treatments, oiling, or anything in between washes. I shampoo my roots and use one of those shampoo brushes to lather it up and massage it in. Use whatever shampoo I have (usually Trader Joe's or Avalon Organics). After rinsing out shampoo I put some oil, maybe a total of 10-15 drops, on just the ends (ROO with whatever oils I have available - right now it's some blend from Love Beauty Planet) and then I put a little bit of some Maple Holistics conditioner on the ends over the oil. I use VERY little conditioner, maybe a quarter sized amount total. Then I rinse the oil+conditioner out, followed by a cold diluted ACV rinse (2 tbsp in 16oz water). Towel dry with a microfiber towel followed by a towel turban for 30min. After taking out the turban I have to blow dry just my scalp on medium for maybe 2-3min, due to my sensitive/problrmatic scalp. My roots will be dry and the rest of my hair will just air dry.

No other hair products or anything are used until the next wash. I'll use a wide tooth comb through my hair every couple days. I do have my hair up most of the time for the days in between washes - either in a bun on top of my head or in my sleep style which is a high english braid, and if I'm feeling fancy I'll do double dutch braids and tape them around the crown of my head (which I can also sleep in). Sometimes I take it down and leave it loose for awhile too. These are basically the only hair styles that my scalp can tolerate (I have a sensitive scalp that can develop acne/sores).

I did try a bunch of different hair masks, oiling, and a billion other things for awhile. While I love how low maintenance my routine has become, I have a ton of products that I amassed that I don't need to use anymore (i.e. oils, butters, herbs, waters, and a bunch of other random DIY ingredients). Oh well!