PDA

View Full Version : Slight allergic reaction - should I use up the products?

Hexana
March 21st, 2020, 07:49 AM
Hey guys, I would need your advice. I noticed that 2 of my hair products cause a slight allergic reaction on my skin if I leave the on for 8 to 10 min. After 30min the red spots disappear again.
I tested a 3rd product and it didn't cause a reaction. These are the products:

https://i.ibb.co/MhRdDtv/Alergic-reaction2.jpg

Then I went to checked and compared all the ingredients and noticed that both of the products that cause the irritation have Cetrimonium Chloride and Cetearyl Alcohol in them. But the 3rd product that doesn't cause the irritation doesn't have them. Here is an excel that shows which ingredients are in what product and which ingredients are in 2 or all 3 products:
https://i.ibb.co/R6pr9T2/Sestavine.jpg

Now I am not sure what to do... Since I don't usually leave these two products on my head for long, should I still use them up, or could that still negatively affect my hair follicles and skin? What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Ylva
March 21st, 2020, 08:07 AM
I won't tell you what to do because I don't want to be responsible in case your symptoms get worse, but I will share what I do.

I get an allergic reaction from methyl(chloro)isothiazolinone. It's in a few conditioners that I use occasionally. I can't get away with less than a few minutes of skin contact and that gives me a rash for a couple of hours. I'm still using the products because otherwise, a lot would go to waste, and the reaction hasn't been getting worse. However, I'm not using the products every wash.

Firefox7275
March 21st, 2020, 08:47 AM
People often muddle up allergic contact dermatitis and irritant contact dermatitis. Either way no you should not ignore your skin's early warnings. Contact dermatitis on your hands would be a nightmare with the current advice to wash them more frequently and more thoroughly.

Many of the most common cosmetic allergens and irritants are essential oils and their fragrant components - eg. linalool, citronellol, limonene - some of which become more problematic after exposure to light, warmth and/ or air. All three of those products are fragranced.

Seeshami
March 21st, 2020, 10:17 AM
I agree, absolutely do not do anything that causes discomfort. You're worth more than that and deserve better.

Lucy McLucyFace
March 21st, 2020, 10:29 AM
I don't think it'll damage your hair so long as you don't put it on your scalp. You could always use it up and make sure it doesn't touch your skin when you're applying but as everyone else said is it really worth it if it's going to cause you this much discomfort? Not to mention some skin allergies can get worse with time as you continue being exposed to the agent.

Laurab
March 21st, 2020, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't risk it.
I'd say find a friend to give them to, or find someone to swap with.
Your skin's telling you to stay away from these products. Listen to it!
You don't want to find out the next day you missed a spot or had some residue that ended up causing significant problems.

SleepyTangles
March 21st, 2020, 11:54 AM
Are you allergic to latex? Shea Butter naturally contains latex, as the shea tree produces natural gum.
You can be allergic to lots of things, including plants.
I wouldn't risk, but keep track of the ingredients that may disturb you for further reference.
Also worth nothing that most plant extracts are alcohol based, so this may adding to your discomfort.

lapushka
March 21st, 2020, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't mess about with an allergic reaction. Throw those things out! No joke.

You could take a look at the ingredients' list, but it can be... anything, really. Honey or glycerin is... quite easily tested. If you have some honey at home, patch test (if it's that, rather not want to ingest that either), and if you have glycerin around, also easily tested.

MusicalSpoons
March 21st, 2020, 12:29 PM
So it is just those two in common between the two problematic products? That's pretty good news. Cetearyl alcohol is derived from stearyl alcohol and cetyl alcohol - which are both in the okay product. Interesting!

I personally wouldn't risk it unless you can apply them upside-down and definitely avoid the skin - but then with any allergen, repeated exposure can make it worse so it's really up to you. You know how your skin behaves so you can gauge it better than any of us whether it's worth trying (of course giving them away is safest, but it really is up to you).

Or you could patch test for two of five minutes, something closer to real-world exposure of just a rinse-out conditioner, see what happens, then decide from there.

Mariekeeee14
March 21st, 2020, 01:08 PM
Does it irritate your hands? That is something to consider too. The tops of my hands (what is that called again in English?) are more prone to react, as is my face.

I would say that no product is worth discomfort. Give it away or donate it

lapushka
March 21st, 2020, 01:24 PM
Does it irritate your hands? That is something to consider too. The tops of my hands (what is that called again in English?) are more prone to react, as is my face.

I would say that no product is worth discomfort. Give it away or donate it

Your fingertips? :)

And I agree with this. Like MusicalSpoons said, you could (quite suddenly) get worse of a reaction. No product is worth that hassle. If you can give them away to someone, all the better.

squirrrel
March 21st, 2020, 01:29 PM
Maybe the back of your hand, or the palm? I have discovered that the back of my hand is far more prone to complaining (drying out, or allerging) than the rest of my hands are.

Hexana
March 21st, 2020, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. I was actually thinking the same thing... it's just not worth risking it.
The weird thing is that I didn't really notice the reaction myself. My husband noticed the other day that I had red spots on my neck after showering and washing my hair. There were no reaction on my scalp that day, only on my neck. Which is weird :confused:
So that's why I tested it out today on my neck today. Later today I also tested another hair mask that I have, that has only cetearyl alcohol in it (no Cetrimonium Chloride), and I had the same reaction. So I guess it has to be that?
I was reading about Cetaryl Alcohol and it usually isn't an irritant. Guess the older I get the more sensitive my skin is getting.

Ylva No worries, nobody will be held liable, I just wanted your opinions :)

Mariekeeee14 I never had it on my hands long enough to notice if it irritates them.

lapushka I tested honey out and didn't have a reaction to it. And also the 3rd product has honey in it and I don't get a reaction from that. But yeah I will probably give the products away. :(

MusicalSpoons I was thinking the same thing. The co-wash I definitely cannot use because it has to touch/clean the scalp, but maybe I will try to use the conditioner? I have to think it over...

Mariekeeee14
March 21st, 2020, 04:15 PM
Maybe the back of your hand, or the palm? I have discovered that the back of my hand is far more prone to complaining (drying out, or allerging) than the rest of my hands are.

That is exactly what I meant, thanks!

Oh and your back. It rinses on your back. Something to consider too. My whole back was covered in spots.

SpottedBackson
March 21st, 2020, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't keep using them if they cause a reaction. Reactions can get worse with repeated exposure. You could maybe get a refund or give them away to someone who wants them if you don't want to waste them.

eresh
March 21st, 2020, 10:20 PM
I agree with Lapushka, I wouldn't risk it...

Hexana
March 22nd, 2020, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input!

March 22nd, 2020, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't. It's just money, your health is more important (I'm not saying money isn't, it is too). And if you get a bigger reaction or overdose you could end up paying more due to costs of medication to control the damage.