PDA

View Full Version : Washing long hair in the bath

JuniperTree
March 20th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Hey guys 😀 due to the coronavirus I've moved back to my parents and whilst I now have all the hot water I'm not paying for, they don't have a shower. My hair is now just past waist length, and I'm pretty short, so washing it in the bath is an excersise in not letting the ends get rinsed immediately. I'm trying to compensate by using a leave in conditioner and/or oiling but if any one has any tips I would love to hear them!

florenonite
March 20th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Can you clip your hair up while the conditioner soaks in? I do that even in the shower because the skin on my back breaks out otherwise.

Suortuva
March 20th, 2020, 01:23 PM
I don't have that long hair, but I take baths often and I just gather my hair to a top knot while I have conditioner or mask in it. Mine stays there, but I think some kind of plastic clip or acrylic stick will help if you have something like that.

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Consider washing your hair separate to your body, standing up but bent over, head upside down. Over the bath rather than in the bath.

lunalocks
March 20th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Consider washing your hair in a bucket! One bucket full for getting hair wet and soaping and rinsing out soap, 1/2 or one bucket for condition and a final bucket for a final rinse.
I've noticed that when I wash in the bathtub, I never get all the soap out. It worked when my hair was above shoulder.

squirrrel
March 20th, 2020, 02:14 PM
I agree with the washing your hair separately thing. If you can afford a shower attachment for the bath, that can help with rinsing. Otherwise I also usually put my hair out of the road after putting the conditioner on. It can soak as I do whatever other washing tasks, and come back to it later on.

ynne
March 20th, 2020, 02:19 PM
Consider washing your hair separate to your body, standing up but bent over, head upside down. Over the bath rather than in the bath.

Seconded this. :) I never lived in a place that had a separate shower, but I got used to washing my hair separatedly as it only needs washing 1-2 times a week. I find it easier to keep the hair dry when bathing instead of showering, since you can just put it up and the water can't get there. I sometimes start washing my hair during a bath, condition it, put it up and finish it after getting out.

MusicalSpoons
March 20th, 2020, 03:16 PM
If your hair is okay with being washed in the bath, I'd say just put it up with the conditioner on until you want to rinse it out. If your hair isn't quite happy with being washed in bath water - but if it's almost okay - you could do a final rinse with clean water from a jug or something. Or any of the other suggestions for washing it separately :)

Elodea
March 20th, 2020, 03:59 PM

This is what I do; I wash my hair separately in the sink. Then I put it in a bun so it doesn't get that wet again when I take a shower/bath.

lapushka
March 20th, 2020, 04:19 PM

You'd at least need to have a handheld shower head, and maybe OP doesn't have that? Or, I don't think there would be that much of an issue. :)

MusicalSpoons
March 20th, 2020, 04:33 PM
You'd at least need to have a handheld shower head, and maybe OP doesn't have that? Or, I don't think there would be that much of an issue. :)

A jug and/or washing up bowl or bucket would do as well. Depending on the type of taps on the bathtub, there might also be a simple attachment to buy, which just goes over the spouts of the taps (like this https://images.app.goo.gl/3DVbfE2TmsiWiT8J9) but I am also assuming OP doesn't already have/use something like that.

Lucy McLucyFace
March 27th, 2020, 05:52 AM
you could try a mermaid bath if you're confident enough in your gymnastic abilities... or just wash it in the sink

KokoroDragon
March 27th, 2020, 01:50 PM
When I have to wash my hair in the bath, here's what I do: wash my body and shampoo my hair, then try to get as much of the soap/shampoo out as possible. Then I'll drain the tub, rinse it out, and refill. I put conditioner in while I'm waiting for the bath to fill, then rinse it out in the fresh water. I don't fill the second bath very full, it just needs enough water to rinse with. After that, if I feel like my hair still has some conditioner in it, I'll dunk my head in the sink or under the tub tap.

If you have a bucket, that idea sounds like it would work really well. And use up less water, which is a plus.

March 28th, 2020, 06:08 AM
Put it in cinnabun on top of your head... You can check these afro bantu knots tutorials on YT and if you have curly hair and do that with one huge bun (instead of many small ones like in these tuts) it should stay up without a hairtie. Or use a hair tie or stick if you need. You can even dry like this for a while (but unbun later or it'll never fully dry).

lottiealice
March 28th, 2020, 01:24 PM
I'm 4'10 with hair somewhere between waist and hip, and I don't own a shower. I wrap my hair around my neck for a few minutes while the conditioner or mask is on my hair.

Liz_H
March 29th, 2020, 02:43 AM
I used to wash and condition my hair first, then rinse before I got any soap in the bath water. I spent a few minutes rubbing in the conditioner instead of letting it sit. These days I wash in the shower.

cinamio
September 13th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Sometimes I just wash my hair in a bucket. It stops the hair from going down the drain, and doesn’t use as much water. I don’t particularly love the idea of sticking my head in a bathtub that is used by other people and has not been cleaned before I use it

lapushka
September 13th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Sometimes I just wash my hair in a bucket. It stops the hair from going down the drain, and doesn’t use as much water. I don’t particularly love the idea of sticking my head in a bathtub that is used by other people and has not been cleaned before I use it

Are you living in a dorm of some sort, then? Because at home, that would not be an issue.