PDA

View Full Version : Braiding Troubles

blackgothicdoll
March 18th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have trouble braiding one side of their hair over the other? I can braid my left side with my eyes closed in 30 seconds and it'll look great, but I slowly do my right side as perfect as I can and it still looks like butt.

Any tips and tricks to doing whatever the bad side is?

LadyMikaelson
March 18th, 2020, 08:45 PM
I honestly don't think I've ever encountered this problem, but my hair is still at shoulder length. Now, the next time I braid it I'm going to have to check and make sure both sides match. :)

cjk
March 18th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Not to the extent that you've described, but I think in my case it has to do with the fact that I am very right-hand dominant.

One side is much easier for me to braid than the other.

Lucy McLucyFace
March 19th, 2020, 02:22 AM
This used to happen to me when I didn't have much practice. The solution is simply to observe how you position your fingers on your left side and mirror that to the right. The rest is up to muscle memory and practice :)

SleepyTangles
March 19th, 2020, 02:35 AM
Yeah, bit I part my hair slightly to the side, so I think this may have a part in It. The thinner side Is easier to handle.
(right side Is also my worst ;) )

YvetteVarie
March 19th, 2020, 08:24 AM
I have the same issue. I always re-do the messed up side until it's vaguely presentable looking

lapushka
March 19th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Does anyone have trouble braiding one side of their hair over the other? I can braid my left side with my eyes closed in 30 seconds and it'll look great, but I slowly do my right side as perfect as I can and it still looks like butt.

Any tips and tricks to doing whatever the bad side is?

Yep, it's counter-intuitive somehow.

Just FYI, I always braid over my left shoulder for a side braid.

shelomit
March 19th, 2020, 03:21 PM
I have no problem doing regular braids on either side, but French or Dutch braids are a different matter. . . if I'm braiding on the right side of my head, my left arm/hand gets tired and cramped very quickly. (I'm right-handed.) This is part of the reason why I don't do close-to-the-scalp braids very often, but I partly suspect that it may just be a matter of practicing it and building up more strength/stamina in whatever weird non-dominant-arm muscles are responsible for French braiding. Apologies that this is not a more helpful response!

Laurab
March 19th, 2020, 05:43 PM
I'm still pretty bad at braiding overall. I think I've only done double-braids I would wear outside like... once.
That being said, they seem to come out more even if I do my "bad side" first.

FrayedFire
March 19th, 2020, 06:57 PM
My major braiding trouble is that no matter even if I put it tightly done on my right side, it eventually migrates over front of my left shoulder.

Spikey
March 19th, 2020, 09:09 PM
I don't notice this at all for normal braids, but for double French, Dutch, etc I used to. Becoming ambidextrous has been a weird goal of mine this year, and so I've been doing a lot of left-handed stuff I don't normally (brushing teeth left-handed, writing as best I can) and it's helped a lot with left handed braiding. Brushing your teeth with your non dominant hand is pretty easy and helped me a lot, maybe try that?

FrayedFire
March 19th, 2020, 10:16 PM
Becoming ambidextrous has been a weird goal of mine this year, and so I've been doing a lot of left-handed stuff I don't normally (brushing teeth left-handed, writing as best I can) and it's helped a lot with left handed braiding. Brushing your teeth with your non dominant hand is pretty easy and helped me a lot, maybe try that?

I'm ambidextrous (with the understanding that society is right-handed), and brushing my teeth is one of the few things I can't do with my left hand.

cjk
March 20th, 2020, 05:31 AM
The trouble I'm having lately is weaving two braid strands into a single strand braid.

I used to be able to do it. It looked perfect. But this is the first time I've managed it in six months, and even after three tries this is the best I got.

Apparently I've forgotten something.

It looks... okay.

https://i.imgur.com/mFeykBJ.jpg

wonhwa
March 20th, 2020, 01:04 PM
The same thing happens to me, and the answer I've found is the same as for anything: practice. A friend taught me to french-braid my own hair by standing beside me in front of a large mirror, so I could look at her and copy what she was doing. Perhaps doing that with a friend who is opposite-sided would help.
Or you could do as I have done, and just keep on practicing until you get the feeling into your fingers.
Good luck!!