PDA

View Full Version : Hair experiments during quarantine?

Laurab
March 18th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Hi guys, hope everyone's fairing well.
So with my job right now I'm mostly going to be staying indoors to help reduce the spread of the virus.
There's only so much work I can do at home, I can't go to the gym, go hang out with friends, go out for dinner.
So, since there's all of this time indoors by myself, I thought it might be a good time to try some hair experiments.

I think first I'm going to attempt the curly-girl method best I can (pretty darn sure my hair's 100% straight but we shall see :laugh: ) and then experiment with various braid waves and other heatless curling methods. I've been really curious about this stuff, but I don't want to do it and then have it look too weird to go into public with.

I thought I'd share what my experiences are and see if anyone else is trying new stuff.

It's a really scary and difficult time, but I'm hopeful we can all get through it without too much trouble.

So is anyone else attempting new hair stuff stuff in quarantine?

jane_marie
March 18th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Getting our minds off of this mess and relaxing is one of the best things we can do for ourselves while taking the other recommended measures. Good for you!

I don't plan on doing anything new but I will be washing, perking up my color and doing a leave in treatment later. I would like to do SMT but I don't have any aloe vera. :shrug:

squirrrel
March 18th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I’m hoping to be able to spend more time learning what my hair does and doesn’t like, and whether the extra dry ends are due to how hot the office is.

SleepyTangles
March 18th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Guilty of that. In two-ish weeks of lockdown i DC, bleached, moisturized and dyed. I think right now they'd enjoy a bit of benign neglect lol ;)

HaMalka
March 18th, 2020, 01:42 PM
I was planing on dying my pink bits purple, experimenting with hairstyles (I'm wearing Amish Braids today, not really new but only the second time I've done them), and giving my mother a haircut.

blackgothicdoll
March 18th, 2020, 01:42 PM
I went from having zero time to do my hair to all of the time - that may not be a good thing :lol: I'm typically better off leaving it alone.

Maybe I can start working in inversions and the like, but my hair seemed to fair well from general neglect.

MissMarmiladka
March 18th, 2020, 01:44 PM
I will absolutely start oiling my hair and doing treatments. I was supposed to do this since January but this never happened haha, so now is the time!

clandestine
March 18th, 2020, 01:47 PM
I'm oiling my hair a bunch and plan on doing a SMT after I clarify tomorrow. I'm trying to see this time as an opportunity to rest, clean, cook, and enjoy my hobbies.

Ylva
March 18th, 2020, 01:52 PM
I'm mostly experimenting with products from my stash that I haven't tried before, especially shampoos.

Reyn127
March 18th, 2020, 02:04 PM
This is either going to be really good for our hair, or we’re going to overload it with experiments and make a mess! Lol.
I don’t have anything in particular planned for my hair, but I did just trim it because I had extra time.

Shorty89
March 18th, 2020, 02:19 PM
This is either going to be really good for our hair, or we’re going to overload it with experiments and make a mess! Lol.
I don’t have anything in particular planned for my hair, but I did just trim it because I had extra time.

:lol: Exactly .

I don't have too much planned except maybe not washing as much. There's no one to see it anyhow. I will likely be fermenting more rice water but that's not too new. I just might leave it for longer.

plonter
March 18th, 2020, 10:03 PM
I love this thread! 2 days into working from home I already gave myself a self trim :p it was only half an inch, but it made a big difference in the health of my ends. I'm gonna dye streaks or maybe the whole thing fuschia (my hair is medium-dark brown so it won't be too drastic!)... and other than that I'm running out of experiments! It is less exposed to the elements which might improve its condition. I wash it about twice a week, once with a shampoo bar, and I don't think I'm gonna try to reduce that amount any further. Maybe vinegar rinses are next on the docket... or maybe I'll chop off half my hair in an asymmetrical manner... who knows... :D

I am also watching a lot of braiding videos from this channel, theyre so sweet, the braidee's hair is absolutely gorgeous, and the braider is amazingly creative and talented! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn4_KJIfEy2QAs9wahIBykQ

LittleHealthy
March 19th, 2020, 01:26 AM
I bought some temporary pink dye to put through my daughter's hair, and decided to mix a little bit with some conditioner. So now I have slightly pink ends in my hair which is fun!

menninkäinen
March 19th, 2020, 01:33 AM
I trimmed my fringe (normally someone else trims it for me, now I was brave) :D

I think I'll practice new hairdos. Tutorials, here I come.

leayellena
March 19th, 2020, 01:59 AM
I'm experimenting with letting my hair down more often. or in a braid. S&D more, oil more.
I am considering washing my hair with water only and oiling my hair afterwards, in case covid_19 will be so high to stop any product delivery or production. I don't try any fancy updo with my hair because I can't I stick with my go to's when I go shopping.

Bri-Chan
March 19th, 2020, 02:09 AM
I am trying different ways to style and drying my hair. I'm also stretching my washdays, because I usually washed when it became a mess to see, but still clean on the roots.
I also finally found a way to make the methi works on my mane (I have a stash of methi).

Lucy McLucyFace
March 19th, 2020, 02:16 AM
I wanted to try some new stuff like hairtoys and solid shampoos but we're budgeting while quarantined and I'd rather avoid unnecessary contact with shipping company workers if I can help it.
So for now I've been trying different braids to keep things interesting

Hasse
March 19th, 2020, 02:25 AM
I'm going to trim half an inch off the ends and try to wash not too often. I really like washing and pampering my hair, but I've got a good rhythm going of washing twice a week. Maybe it's good to focus on updo's and braids more the coming weeks/months

Laurab
March 19th, 2020, 09:11 AM
An update on my curly girl experiment.
It's going uhhhhhhhhhh interestingly. Pretty sure I won't be doing this again :laugh:

Here it is soping wet with a ton of gel in it. I'm like ok, there's potential maybe
https://66.media.tumblr.com/925f8a63068ae755734c8705aa74c167/1ddb6e5226da81bd-b9/s1280x1920/1e20544f6ec7ad6108edfb4ca4f9ad96c1ffdf63.jpg

But it started falling as it was drying, so I bothered my mom's diffuser. Part-way dry, it was actually looking like something? Maybe successful?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0c1295981fbb6e38756c1f1ed9b23c03/1ddb6e5226da81bd-1f/s500x750/3d9d56254ae0d4b25044da1e6873a6147c1afe0d.jpg

Buuut now I"m like 60% dry and it's all falling pretty steadily. My front pieces are basically straight, the parts of my hair closest to the neck never curled (or rather waved) at all, and the overall look is a pretty big mess.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/bb015d16cfba740e3ad1edda75e457b1/1ddb6e5226da81bd-15/s500x750/3cd4b1b048091d6ed5d501459b9ef05d28e87a8f.jpg

Oh well! at the rate this is going I think any and all curl is gonna fall in an hour or two. It was worth a shot, time to try heatless curls.

Bri-Chan
March 19th, 2020, 09:28 AM
On me cgm doesn't work... especially the gel thing, it is not enough for me

lapushka
March 19th, 2020, 11:26 AM
An update on my curly girl experiment.
It's going uhhhhhhhhhh interestingly. Pretty sure I won't be doing this again :laugh:

Here it is soping wet with a ton of gel in it. I'm like ok, there's potential maybe
https://66.media.tumblr.com/925f8a63068ae755734c8705aa74c167/1ddb6e5226da81bd-b9/s1280x1920/1e20544f6ec7ad6108edfb4ca4f9ad96c1ffdf63.jpg

But it started falling as it was drying, so I bothered my mom's diffuser. Part-way dry, it was actually looking like something? Maybe successful?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0c1295981fbb6e38756c1f1ed9b23c03/1ddb6e5226da81bd-1f/s500x750/3d9d56254ae0d4b25044da1e6873a6147c1afe0d.jpg

Buuut now I"m like 60% dry and it's all falling pretty steadily. My front pieces are basically straight, the parts of my hair closest to the neck never curled (or rather waved) at all, and the overall look is a pretty big mess.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/bb015d16cfba740e3ad1edda75e457b1/1ddb6e5226da81bd-15/s500x750/3cd4b1b048091d6ed5d501459b9ef05d28e87a8f.jpg

Oh well! at the rate this is going I think any and all curl is gonna fall in an hour or two. It was worth a shot, time to try heatless curls.

I think that's pretty! :)

Maybe you are wavier than you think.

I would for sure do a hairtyping if you have some time.

CG often refers to the method of washing the hair (with conditioner or a sulfate-free wash), and even 1s can do this!

Laurab
March 19th, 2020, 11:53 AM
On me cgm doesn't work... especially the gel thing, it is not enough for me

Same, ha.
A few hours later, here's all that's left of my experiment after letting it dry fully and combing through it with a wide-toothed comb.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/6049b0da7f2bcc479ba6c2fa1e0f92d4/ae7b9a03029eaab1-5a/s1280x1920/f6567bc710d6e1f4addc2f6bd4d3bea507abe068.jpg

I actually kinda like the outcome lol. But I don't think anyone would say I secretly have wavy hair. This is straight hair with a slight wave forced into it.
Alsas, no natural curls for me. I thought there might be a sliiiight possibility because my mom, aunt, and older brother are all curly. But I've got my dad's hair.

Shorty89
March 19th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I'll be watching my natural roots grow until things settle down. I'm out of cassia/henna and I'm not venturing out to get them. :lol:

Bri-Chan
March 19th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Same, ha.
A few hours later, here's all that's left of my experiment after letting it dry fully and combing through it with a wide-toothed comb.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/6049b0da7f2bcc479ba6c2fa1e0f92d4/ae7b9a03029eaab1-5a/s1280x1920/f6567bc710d6e1f4addc2f6bd4d3bea507abe068.jpg

I actually kinda like the outcome lol. But I don't think anyone would say I secretly have wavy hair. This is straight hair with a slight wave forced into it.
Alsas, no natural curls for me. I thought there might be a sliiiight possibility because my mom, aunt, and older brother are all curly. But I've got my dad's hair.

I think you should give it a second try. My hair, compared to when I started, looks so much wavier also just airdryed without any styling.

Laurab
March 19th, 2020, 12:37 PM
I think that's pretty! :)

Maybe you are wavier than you think.

I would for sure do a hairtyping if you have some time.

CG often refers to the method of washing the hair (with conditioner or a sulfate-free wash), and even 1s can do this!

Thanks!
I think I might have some slight wave in my hair, but not all together, if that makes sense.
My mom's like, 2C or curlier in front 2A or less in back.

I also think if I were to try again I'd wait until my hair gets longer, I really was not able to scrunch the nape of my hair, too short.

Maybe I will try a hair typing in my time off! I've got literally nothing scheduled outside for all of next week, just some videoconferences

squirrrel
March 19th, 2020, 01:00 PM
I have found I have more of a recognisable wave with longer hair, so it might well be something that makes a difference. I also find that the waves depend upon what I wash with. A shampoo bar is great for me, but I don’t scrunch things through I. Drying hanging down pulls waves out, but if my hair lies flat behind me , like on the bed above my head, the waves hang around a little longer.

FrayedFire
March 19th, 2020, 01:10 PM
Same, ha.

I have to disagree - that is much wavier than my hair without even combing. My hair acts maaaaaybe 1b with CG, you got into 1c/2a territory even after handling.

MusicalSpoons
March 19th, 2020, 01:15 PM
I have found I have more of a recognisable wave with longer hair, so it might well be something that makes a difference. I also find that the waves depend upon what I wash with. A shampoo bar is great for me, but I don’t scrunch things through I. Drying hanging down pulls waves out, but if my hair lies flat behind me , like on the bed above my head, the waves hang around a little longer.

Ohhhh that might explain the discrepancy for me between a typing picture and airdrying overnight - I thought it was because the ends are essentially 'plopped' overnight, but the ends are still wavy in a typing picture anyway, it's just a random stretch in the middle that falls foul of gravity.

[I keep trying to comment in this thread but I think the site doesn't want my little moan and things keep happening to stop me posting :lol: so I'm not even going to try.] As it turns out, my one routine reason for leaving the house two or three times a month had been cancelled, so unless I get so antsy I resort to trying to go shopping (!!) I won't be leaving the house, which makes it a good time to finally try a streak or two of Manic Panic. If it goes horribly wrong I won't have to worry about making sure it's completely hidden in a bun! :D

Laurab a typing pic would be great! I am impressed with the wave left, and the diffuser result looked amazing! But yeah, I agree, no secret curls - but that still doesn't rule out the possibility of clandestine waves, especially with more length ;)

Jane99
March 19th, 2020, 08:58 PM
I’ve been wanting to say something about the virus to you all on here, you are in my mind and heart, but also treading lightly as this forum is like an oasis away from the craziness and I wouldn’t want to take that away for some, so this thread is a good place for these sentiments. Love and solidarity to all who are affected by this, which must be very close to everyone in the world. Things are just starting to turn here in upstate New York, and not nearly as pervasive as in the city, but the feeling of panic and uncertainty is here. We will remember this time until our last breaths, and therefore I will remember you.

As for hair experiments, I plan to start making my own conditioner! I have emulsifier and preservative, arrived in the mail earlier this week. I want to experiment with some bases and oil mixes to find a good consistency and then play around with some tea mixes and herb infused oils. I’m thinking catnip, nettle, gotu kola, cloves, Senna. The combinations are endless and a good distraction for me. I’ve been putting a couple cloves in my tea rinse lately and I love the smell.

I also tried fenugreek water as a final rinse this morning and though my hair didn’t feel as slippy as I expected, my hair does feel thicker and stronger. I have the soaked seeds in the fridge waiting for the next experiment.

I also would like to use this time to adjust my hair from daily washings to every other day. The greasiness I would accumulate halfway through day 2 has kept me from doing this, but now that I don’t have face to face contact with clients in the public, a little greasiness won’t bother me like it was. And maybe my oils will adjust.

My stepdaughter and I went grocery shopping today and we are stocking up on food as much as is reasonable. I was having a hard time getting things to fit in the freezer, since we had already stocked up on some staples like big yogurt tubs that we are freezing, just in case the supplies run lower... And I am not wanting to reduce my hair concoctions frozen in the freezer but at the same time... food... the struggle is real!

I have noticed that on several occasions when I wanted to check out the site, the server was too busy! Everyone wants to get on here and away from the news! I love it. It’s because this forum is the best.

Anyways stay safe healthy and happy everyone! I look forward to reading your posts and seeing all your beautiful hair!

ynne
March 19th, 2020, 10:02 PM

Your hair definitely looks wavy to me! It looks lovely no matter the typing, though. :) Have you looked into CGM modified for wavy hair, or did the general principles, minus combing? There's a lot on youtube, the routines usually differ from tighter curl patterns from the little I saw.

Ylva
March 20th, 2020, 04:02 AM
I also would like to use this time to adjust my hair from daily washings to every other day. The greasiness I would accumulate halfway through day 2 has kept me from doing this, but now that I don’t have face to face contact with clients in the public, a little greasiness won’t bother me like it was. And maybe my oils will adjust.

I have noticed that on several occasions when I wanted to check out the site, the server was too busy! Everyone wants to get on here and away from the news! I love it. It’s because this forum is the best.

I'm actually doing the opposite, hah. I'm considering the occasional daily wash because I have the time for it. My getting oily schedule is very similar to yours - ideally, I should probably wash "every day and a half", as in Monday morning, Tuesday evening, Thursday morning, Friday evening...

Unfortunately, the issues with the server are because we are sort of under attack. You can read more about it in this thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151934). :)

paulownia
March 20th, 2020, 04:18 AM
Well, I'm not doing anything differently lately;) I'm on my usual routine. There is no quarantine where I live just right now, so I just go on about my days as usual.
I have henna planned for Sunday and that's that :o

Belgrade Beauty
March 20th, 2020, 04:19 AM
I'm probably just gonna use the shampoo today so I can see what my hair needs,hydration or protein(cause it feels horribly dry lately)...I've found that post somewhere in Nightshade's articles..To determine what your hair needs,just wash it and let it dry naturally ..So...Fingers crossed..

CopperButterfly
March 20th, 2020, 07:19 AM
I cut bangs. I had a side swept bang and I cut a bit more and turned them into curtain bangs. Figured if I hated it, hardly anyone would see it. They are growing on me, though I think I'd prefer them a bit longer. Fortunately, hair grows. :)

lapushka
March 20th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Thanks!
I think I might have some slight wave in my hair, but not all together, if that makes sense.
My mom's like, 2C or curlier in front 2A or less in back.

I also think if I were to try again I'd wait until my hair gets longer, I really was not able to scrunch the nape of my hair, too short.

Maybe I will try a hair typing in my time off! I've got literally nothing scheduled outside for all of next week, just some videoconferences

Oh smart, yes that's true. It actually needs to be around APL for waves to show up the best!

SleepyTangles
March 20th, 2020, 08:40 AM
I'm drying my hair in the sun, on my balcony 8)
It's so warm I can't even keep my hoodie on, it feels like we're in late May...

Laurab
March 20th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Your hair definitely looks wavy to me! It looks lovely no matter the typing, though. :) Have you looked into CGM modified for wavy hair, or did the general principles, minus combing? There's a lot on youtube, the routines usually differ from tighter curl patterns from the little I saw.

I kind of winged it based on a few videos I saw.

I did a sulfate wash to get out the silicones in my hair, then a silicone free conditioner, used that as my leave in (the product's made to be used as both, it's the garnier treats one minute mask), and scrunched in gel. I ended up doing a lot of scrunching with an old t-shirt, and like I said diffusing.

Looking at the pictures, it's definately wavier than I thought. I think I was focused on the top of my head which looked straight, but the ends really held a lot of wave.
Day two that's basically all gone, but I slept on them and brushed them through, so it's not a completely fair judgement.

I'll try looking at specifically wave pattern videos!
I don't think it's something I'll be doing every day. To get straight hair all I have to do is comb it, a lot easier than all of the scrunching and specific drying stuff.
But I really love how curls and waves look, so it would be nice to have the option of a different style

ynne
March 20th, 2020, 10:49 AM
I kind of winged it based on a few videos I saw.

I did a sulfate wash to get out the silicones in my hair, then a silicone free conditioner, used that as my leave in (the product's made to be used as both, it's the garnier treats one minute mask), and scrunched in gel. I ended up doing a lot of scrunching with an old t-shirt, and like I said diffusing.

Looking at the pictures, it's definately wavier than I thought. I think I was focused on the top of my head which looked straight, but the ends really held a lot of wave.
Day two that's basically all gone, but I slept on them and brushed them through, so it's not a completely fair judgement.

I'll try looking at specifically wave pattern videos!
I don't think it's something I'll be doing every day. To get straight hair all I have to do is comb it, a lot easier than all of the scrunching and specific drying stuff.
But I really love how curls and waves look, so it would be nice to have the option of a different style

Yeah, there's... a lot of info out there, it can be a bit hard to pick but your base sounds quite good! My hair is curlier but the top part is easily weighted down & it's the first part to become straight, too. :)

Did you see this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSsiu4InXc)? I think she appears really high in searches, her videos seem popular, so you probably did. Still, I really like her channel so I wanted to mention her!

And I hope you have a lot of fun; it's great that you can go for wavier or straighter hair based on what you feel like doing that day, so much variety! :) That admittedly used to be my dream, as my hair doesn't do well with combing.

cestlavie
March 20th, 2020, 11:12 AM
I'm planning to do regular oil treatments because I forget them all the time. Also, I'm going to try to wash my hair less.

poli
March 20th, 2020, 12:06 PM
I did trim my hair back to hip, considering going even shorter. I was thinking about stretching washes but my scalp disagree.

Iyashikei
March 20th, 2020, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately I have to work through the entire quarantine because I basically work in a supermarket. That means high risk on getting infected and not being able to experiment as much with my hair as I want to. I hope you guys stay safe and that your experiments are succesfull.

Belgrade Beauty
March 20th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I used Pantene Micelar Purify and Nourish shampoo. It's the only one available to me that has some agent against hard water. No conditioning until fully air dried. And the result was shocking. I combed easily. My ends are a bit rough and hair is frizzy after being brushed with Tangle teaser. But I expected it to be much worse. Turns out my hair is not as damaged as much as I thought. I guess my routine will focus on ends only. Oiling and conditioning. Any ideas for some cool experiment that doesn't include trimming and dyeing??

SleepyTangles
March 20th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately I have to work through the entire quarantine because I basically work in a supermarket. That means high risk on getting infected and not being able to experiment as much with my hair as I want to. I hope you guys stay safe and that your experiments are succesfull.

Best luck Iyashikei, thanks to people working in supermarkets and essentials services like you, our life has not descended into Chaos yet. All my appreciation and gratitude.

Laurab
March 20th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Best luck Iyashikei, thanks to people working in supermarkets and essentials services like you, our life has not descended into Chaos yet. All my appreciation and gratitude.

I second this, we're all really lucky to have you.
Hopefully you can get your mind off of some of the stress here.

rhosyn_du
March 20th, 2020, 04:04 PM
I'm using this time to experiment with new conditioners. I have a couple that are okay (Nature's Gate Aloe & Macadamia, but I hate, hate, HATE the stupid pump bottle it comes in, and Brite Bar None Hydrating Conditioner Bar), but I'm still looking for something my hair loves as much as it loved old formula Garnier Triple Nutrition or old formula AO Honeysuckle Rose.

Iyashikei, I hope you stay safe, as well. Thank you for helping keep our food supply chain running!

Winter Fox
March 20th, 2020, 04:15 PM
I use the hermit life to experiment with my selfmade hair soaps but I don't seem to get good results so far. At least no one sees the failed washes except for some dog owners that see me when I'm walking my dog.
Other than that I try to keep it simple with my routine but I do try to brighten up my days by wearing a different flexi (the only hair accessoire I use now that I'm at shoulder length) each day. :)

curly girl fla
March 20th, 2020, 05:17 PM
Thank you for your service, Iyashikei. Please stay safe.
Working from home has become my platform for air-drying. Still washing daily-I'm trying to keep my routine the same, getting up early (minus travel time), etc. but I haven't been using stylers, no conditioner today, and no diffusing. It's actually drying faster than it used to, but my hair is frizzier. Still, I found I can get volume if i scrunch after it's dry. Not too bad, and maybe I'll have a bit more retention. I think it's time for another henna/cassia session this weekend, experimenting with more cassia than last time. `I would love to have a streak of blue or purple-i wonder how hard it is in to bleach a group of strands, and where on my head should i do this? ugh. maybe i'm too old to be messing with this.

Shorty89
March 20th, 2020, 05:33 PM
I'd forgotten that I'd bought some Pantene Charcoal conditioner a little while back when it was on clearance. It's silicone free and not super expensive unlike most of the newer silicone free conditioners coming out. I'll probably try it tonight or tomorrow.

Gaalsong
March 20th, 2020, 07:38 PM
I put pink streaks in my hair yesterday (it's been three years) and teal streaks in my daughter's hair. I will have pictures, soon, hopefully!

Laurab
March 20th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Ok update on my waves, ha.
Thanks everyone for the tips and comments! I appreciate each and every response, for real.
I scrunched A LOT more gel into my hair but while it was dry, and then added some more water, and scrunched some more, and it's staying a lot wavier than it was before.
It's still not perfect, I think it's too much gel now, but it's definately wavier.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/567d16ae5a60b7528df3fbd65af4867b/310f133963023780-1a/s1280x1920/86006ee1e995e32eb493d374b015e3e54d98ea4f.jpg

I think you can pretty clearly see it's holding a lot more in the front, so I am sticking with the idea that once it's longer it'll be better. Based on advice here, APL seems to be the length I'll be trying this again.

I also thought this was funny

Me: I'm experimenting with my hair. What do you think?
My mom: I think it looks like you're experimenting with your hair.

Edit: Also, sorry the pictures keep turning out so huge :/ I'll try and figure out how to shrink them...

oldrocker
March 20th, 2020, 10:02 PM
my quarantine plan is the same as before....no cuts/trims/anything, except benign neglect...and more of the Trader Joe Tea Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Anyone with me on this???

O.R.

Nox_Inber
March 20th, 2020, 10:35 PM
Everything. I am experimenting on everything lol. Admittedly this has been going on pre-quarantine though. I'm trying to eliminate my "why is my hair so stringy and awful" problem. I'm beginning to think it's because of how broken off the whole length is, the shorter pieces might be causing all the tangling and clumping. Then my hair looks extra thin on the bottom 4 inches and it's already thin there to start. I've tried a stronger sulfate shampoo, less conditioner, more conditioner, no aloe vera gel, with AVG, diffuser, no diffuser, encouraging waves, encouraging it to be straight, less cones, more cones in my conditioner, brushing, combing, ect. I straight stripped my hair of everything for henndigo today. So I think it's safe to say this isn't a product problem. Everything shoulderish up feels fantastic but everything below that hates existence.

Moving forward from that, the only thing left to eliminate is the citric acid rinse. I tried upping the concentration to no avail so it's definitely not too weak. Tomorrow I'm omitting it entirely. In prior experiences my hair always went greasy roots and dry ends from the hard water as my final rinse but hey, why not try again to confirm lol? I might mess around with oils again while I'm at it. I've had decent luck with ROO in the past. I'm going through a full run down of all the steps like a madwoman. Might as well evaluate the whole routine at once! :eek: Plus if none of this makes a positive difference then that tells me I either need to learn to live with my hair until it grows and fills back in, or cut it way back and grow it out all at the same length.

Good thing I have to wear my hair up for work and can wear a hat (I start Sunday!) so if this turns into a total disaster then nobody will know the difference ;)

Laurab your hair is goooooorgeous wavy! Absolutely love it.

Iyashikei
March 20th, 2020, 11:03 PM

Thank you.

I second this, we're all really lucky to have you.
Hopefully you can get your mind off of some of the stress here.

Thank you. I actually can and I'm grateful for that.

I'm using this time to experiment with new conditioners. I have a couple that are okay (Nature's Gate Aloe & Macadamia, but I hate, hate, HATE the stupid pump bottle it comes in, and Brite Bar None Hydrating Conditioner Bar), but I'm still looking for something my hair loves as much as it loved old formula Garnier Triple Nutrition or old formula AO Honeysuckle Rose.

Iyashikei, I hope you stay safe, as well. Thank you for helping keep our food supply chain running!

Easier said than done but, as a wise lady once said, wir schaffen das, both in the safety and the food supply chain.

Thank you for your service, Iyashikei. Please stay safe.
Working from home has become my platform for air-drying. Still washing daily-I'm trying to keep my routine the same, getting up early (minus travel time), etc. but I haven't been using stylers, no conditioner today, and no diffusing. It's actually drying faster than it used to, but my hair is frizzier. Still, I found I can get volume if i scrunch after it's dry. Not too bad, and maybe I'll have a bit more retention. I think it's time for another henna/cassia session this weekend, experimenting with more cassia than last time. `I would love to have a streak of blue or purple-i wonder how hard it is in to bleach a group of strands, and where on my head should i do this? ugh. maybe i'm too old to be messing with this.

Thank you.

Khristopher
March 20th, 2020, 11:22 PM
Today I tried a mix of oils for my scalp, but I got a ton of shedding so I'm already sort of regreting it. Oils used were coconut and EVOO as base, some castor oil, some almond and a few drops of jojoba. Oh, added a few drops of nettle tincture now that I think about it. A bit on the heavy side I guess, I massaged on my scalp and put the rest on the lenghts and ends. I'm washing it tomorrow morning and hennaing my roots. This quarantine is good for making skin care routines like dermarolling and retinol, and homemade goops too. I hope I don't get to bored with it though as I might hack half of my hair or something drastic haha :silly:
On a more serious note, I hope you're all fine and healthy. Stay inside and in contact with family, this will pass sooner or later.

MusicalSpoons
March 21st, 2020, 06:23 AM
Well, I may have made a mistake. I tried both the scrub (a face and body scrub which I tried a couple of times on my body to try to make sure it wasn't too harsh) and combing wet in the same wash ... the mistake was combing with conditioner straight after the scrub rather than letting it sit and before rinsing the conditioner out had got rid of some remaining walnut shell bits :doh: I did it then because I thought the slip from the Garnier Hair Food would be good, but it would have been better if I'd let it sit for sure. I also don't know if the scrub hurt my hair but my scalp is okay, slightly itchy in places but certainly tolerable, and I haven't found any leftover bits from the scrub so yay.

Combing wet worked! I shall see how long I can go without combing, though it might only be one day, but it's a start seeing as day 1 is when my hair very much most definitely least likes to be combed.

vpatt
March 21st, 2020, 08:46 AM
Maybe I will finally do my January trim, lol.

I hope you all stay safe and well. Thanks to those who are working to help all of us. I have a nurse in the family (my baby) so she will be working throughout this crisis.

SpottedBackson
March 21st, 2020, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, time to break out the aloe vera gel and see if I can make me a really big mohawk! :o

HoneyDayTripper
March 21st, 2020, 10:00 PM
I'm going to minimize washing, using products, and over-oiling. I'm going to wash it as little as possible, not use dry shampoo, or really do much at all. I will be wearing it in two braids most of the time, and trim split ends whenever I spot one. I'm using less products to minimize going to the store and possibly exposing others. I'm almost out of my favorite conditioner, but I'm going to try to use all the blah ones I have before I buy anything. I will also be cutting my husband's hair, beard, and both of my dog's hair. This is also weirdly a "great" time for me to be growing out my bangs.... even though let's be real, this is not a good time. Hoping everyone has a peaceful quarantine, as much as that can be possible. <3

0xalis
March 22nd, 2020, 12:32 AM
I'm stretching washes, only washing once a week at this point. I had been washing about twice a week because I'd been swimming at the YMCA on my wash days, any more often than that and my skin and hair hate me! But I looove swimming so I'm not giving it up for anything :P But now that everything's shut down for god-knows-how-long I have no reason to wash my hair if I'm not going to be seen by anyone other than my wife, who couldn't care less!

jane_marie
March 22nd, 2020, 04:45 AM
Yesterday I tried out a sample that I had lying around and I am in love. My hair is so soft and shiny now.

March 22nd, 2020, 04:54 AM
Yeah, I've been doing coffee rinses for my hair loss, and hell, it really thickens hair and makes them grow super fast but I'm not sure if it's doing anything for my bald patch. Will try it for longer and see how it goes.

sipnsun
March 22nd, 2020, 08:11 AM
I'm heavy oiling as I type... I used a mixture of Jojoba, argan, castor, shea nut and almond oils. It feels weird to be home so much but it has been great for my hair and my house has never been cleaner. Plan on trying the CGM this week because I've noticed a lot of wave on my under layers lately. Outer layer is still pretty straight but it has highlights and gets the most abuse so that may be why the texture is different. Just waiting on my products to come in from Amazon to get started.

FrayedFire
March 22nd, 2020, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, time to break out the aloe vera gel and see if I can make me a really big mohawk! :o

Pics if you do!!

kelsia.lee
March 22nd, 2020, 09:55 AM
I really recommend trying this hair mask i used last night, 2 tbs of honey, 4 tbs of vegetable oil, 2 eggs, 1 tbs of cinnamon. I used it in place of conditioner and it made my hair softer than any conditioner I have ever used before.

Nox_Inber
March 22nd, 2020, 12:45 PM
Good thing I have to wear my hair up for work and can wear a hat (I start Sunday!) so if this turns into a total disaster then nobody will know the difference ;)

It's now Sunday. Last night I used a weak dilution for my CA rinse, also applied my new Hask Argan Oil 5 in 1 spray and blunt cut about 3/4ths of an inch off. I woke up with AMAZING hair today. It's soft, shiny, not tangling and the piecey-ness isn't nearly as noticeable. I hope this is going to be a continued result because wow I love it.

Talk about hair mood swings :crazyq:

Laurab
March 22nd, 2020, 02:03 PM
It's now Sunday. Last night I used a weak dilution for my CA rinse, also applied my new Hask Argan Oil 5 in 1 spray and blunt cut about 3/4ths of an inch off. I woke up with AMAZING hair today. It's soft, shiny, not tangling and the piecey-ness isn't nearly as noticeable. I hope this is going to be a continued result because wow I love it.

Talk about hair mood swings :crazyq:

Yay! Congrats on the progress.

March 22nd, 2020, 05:59 PM

Please do xD

Nox_Inber
March 22nd, 2020, 10:48 PM
Yay! Congrats on the progress.

Thank you! I can't believe one product made such a big difference. I've tried oiling/leave ins before but to no success. I guess I just needed a lighter weight product. Crazy how things work out sometimes!

browntatis
March 23rd, 2020, 12:00 AM
Im the opposite.
I used to wash my hair every day because my hair is very oily, so I had to wash it often to be able to go out and be presentable, but now Im just feeling so down that Im letting my hair go in a sense, Im stretching washes as much as possible, Im washing my hair about every 3 or 4 days and staying with a messy bun every day.

KokoroDragon
March 23rd, 2020, 10:42 AM
I’ve been wanting to say something about the virus to you all on here, you are in my mind and heart, but also treading lightly as this forum is like an oasis away from the craziness and I wouldn’t want to take that away for some, so this thread is a good place for these sentiments. Love and solidarity to all who are affected by this, which must be very close to everyone in the world. Things are just starting to turn here in upstate New York, and not nearly as pervasive as in the city, but the feeling of panic and uncertainty is here. We will remember this time until our last breaths, and therefore I will remember you.

As for hair experiments, I plan to start making my own conditioner! I have emulsifier and preservative, arrived in the mail earlier this week. I want to experiment with some bases and oil mixes to find a good consistency and then play around with some tea mixes and herb infused oils. I’m thinking catnip, nettle, gotu kola, cloves, Senna. The combinations are endless and a good distraction for me. I’ve been putting a couple cloves in my tea rinse lately and I love the smell.

I also tried fenugreek water as a final rinse this morning and though my hair didn’t feel as slippy as I expected, my hair does feel thicker and stronger. I have the soaked seeds in the fridge waiting for the next experiment.

My stepdaughter and I went grocery shopping today and we are stocking up on food as much as is reasonable. I was having a hard time getting things to fit in the freezer, since we had already stocked up on some staples like big yogurt tubs that we are freezing, just in case the supplies run lower... And I am not wanting to reduce my hair concoctions frozen in the freezer but at the same time... food... the struggle is real!

Anyways stay safe healthy and happy everyone! I look forward to reading your posts and seeing all your beautiful hair!

I'm also experimenting with making my own conditioner! I tried one, but added too much oil for the amount of water I used, so it works better as a body lotion. My hair was coated in oil for two days before I decided to rinse it out, but during that time it was so easy to brush (even if it didn't look presentable). I did try using it as a leave in though, so maybe I should try it as a rinse out before making a batch of something else.

I'm super curious how your conditioner experiments are going as well!

GrowingOut
March 23rd, 2020, 01:04 PM
Probably gonna leave in an oil mixture for like 4 days because I'm not leaving my house and my hair could use the TLC.

honeybee93
March 23rd, 2020, 01:14 PM
Ooh, I like this thread. First and foremost, I hope everyone is staying healthy as are your loved ones!

I tried the Briogeo "Don't despair, repair" mask yesterday. Oh my gosh...I understand the hype. I would have never tried it due to cost but I received a sample. I only decided to splurge on buying the full size at $36 because I had a gift card. It really made my hair feel lovely; my brush glides through my hair and it feels so lush, hydrated, and strong. I can't stop touching it!! Thankfully, for my work I'm a programmer so I just throw my hair up for hours at a time and forget about it. :p

I also bought a panthenol spray (looks like a mousse) from the Ukraine (Amazon.com) and a hair stick from WoodEverImagine on Etsy! I started a hair instagram (code_andGrowLong) and have picked up so many at-home hair recipes from other accounts. One woman showed how to use the panthenol spray as a treatment; she coats her dry hair with it, then tops it off with avocado oil, washes out with shampoo, and uses a mask for conditioning. The end result was glistening hair. I'm hopeful the panthenol helps strengthen up my hair before I go to the hair dresser for partial highlights in April (if it's even open for business by then.) Needless to say, I feel so fortunate to be able to work from home and try out these TLC luxuries.

honeybee93
March 23rd, 2020, 01:20 PM
Im the opposite.
I used to wash my hair every day because my hair is very oily, so I had to wash it often to be able to go out and be presentable, but now Im just feeling so down that Im letting my hair go in a sense, Im stretching washes as much as possible, Im washing my hair about every 3 or 4 days and staying with a messy bun every day.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down, browntatis :heartbeat I get into very low moods somewhat regularly and in those times, doing anything to my hair is a chore. I hope you're able to practice some self-care even when it feels so impossible to do that.

MusicalSpoons
March 24th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Combing wet worked! I shall see how long I can go without combing, though it might only be one day, but it's a start seeing as day 1 is when my hair very much most definitely least likes to be combed.

Detangled today, day 4. I think it's safe to call it a success! I did put the comb through the very uppermost of my canopy to smooth it out to look presentable for a video call on day 2 but I am super pleased how well my hair responded to being combed today - a couple of knots extra than I'd usually expect (detangled easily with fingers) but no grumping otherwise. Definitely something to be repeated! :happydance:

browntatis
March 24th, 2020, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down, browntatis :heartbeat I get into very low moods somewhat regularly and in those times, doing anything to my hair is a chore. I hope you're able to practice some self-care even when it feels so impossible to do that.

Thank you so mych for your words, yes, its hard to stay positive during this situation of the virus and the quarantine, so stressful and depressing but nothing we can do but stay inside.
Today I put on a moisturizing face mask and a hair treatment, it made me feel so much better, I even put on makeup lol.
Please everyone stay safe!

SnowSpot
March 24th, 2020, 11:55 PM
In these 3 months I’ve been here, LHC has become a place for my escapism so I will definitely be spending some more time here :)

I think I have enough to do in my ”2020 goals” which include trying out new hairstyles/buns and shopping for hairtoys... I’m constantly experimenting the world of hair sticks and have found a couple of ways to wear them in everyday life.

squirrrel
March 25th, 2020, 12:42 AM
So one of the things I have been doing is upping my scritching. I realised late on the 23rd that it was probably about time I did a wash, and so did a straight wash on the 24th. Before that I did a deep treatment, wash, and oil on the 19th. I might well still Oil. The 24th I mixed the hair wash with bathing. Seems to me like the times I wash my hair only I get far more waves.

Jane99
March 25th, 2020, 11:10 AM
I'm also experimenting with making my own conditioner! I tried one, but added too much oil for the amount of water I used, so it works better as a body lotion. My hair was coated in oil for two days before I decided to rinse it out, but during that time it was so easy to brush (even if it didn't look presentable). I did try using it as a leave in though, so maybe I should try it as a rinse out before making a batch of something else.

I'm super curious how your conditioner experiments are going as well!

thats exciting that you’re trying conditioner too!! My first batch also came out quite greasy... I used shea butter for 1/3 of the oil so maybe it’s just too heavy of an oil. Or maybe too much oil, I don’t know! It was only like 10% of the total weight so I thought it would be light but I guess not. I hadn’t thought about using it as lotion— good idea :)
I’m using BTMS 25 as the emulsifier. It worked well.
More experimentation is needed to nail down a good ratio!

Bri-Chan
March 25th, 2020, 03:12 PM
I am experimenting with the methi as a restyler. I understood that it works but just one time between a wash and another, otherwise it dries the hair.

KokoroDragon
March 26th, 2020, 12:23 PM
thats exciting that you’re trying conditioner too!! My first batch also came out quite greasy... I used shea butter for 1/3 of the oil so maybe it’s just too heavy of an oil. Or maybe too much oil, I don’t know! It was only like 10% of the total weight so I thought it would be light but I guess not. I hadn’t thought about using it as lotion— good idea :)
I’m using BTMS 25 as the emulsifier. It worked well.
More experimentation is needed to nail down a good ratio!

I've heard BTMS has good conditioning qualities! I went with an olive-derived emulsifying wax because I'm trying to be as natural as possible.

I don't have a proper scale, so I'm using volume measurements. I know that's not the "proper" way, but I'm sure it will work with some experimenting :) For 1 cup of water base, I used about 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil base. I'm thinking just a couple teaspoons might be a better amount for next time.

I also used shea butter. Less than 1/3, but still quite a fair amount. Maybe about 1/4? It seems to provide a nice coating to my hair, masks split ends, and my hair likes it, BUT it also leaves even the ends of my hair looking like greasy roots. I'm thinking I'll leave it in, just reduce the amount by a lot.

I did an experiment with it last night, trying to use it up so I can experiment with a new batch: I put it all over my dry hair, left it in for about 30 minutes, then shampooed my scalp as usual. My lower length and ends are still pretty greasy, but since no one's going to see, I'm just leaving it. The upper part of my hair feels smooth and silky, even though I didn't condition after washing. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the result. If I can get the oil out of the lower half of my hair, I may come back to this recipe/conditioning method.

Jane99
March 26th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Kokorodragon, what’s the name of the emulsifying wax you’re using? I’ll use up the btms but am also trying to stay as natural as possible. I washed my hair this morning with egg to get out the residual greasiness from my length and it feels so nice and soft... maybe this is a “pre poo” conditioner

So my next idea, since maybe there’s some magic in chemical conditioner to make it wash out nice... one of the recipes I found had an extra surficant in it to make a “cleansing conditioner” so I was considering maybe using soapnut liquid as the water base? But soapnuts are so conditioning themselves would adding them to conditioner be “guilding the lily” ?

Darian Moone
March 26th, 2020, 07:45 PM
I'm thinking of finally ending the bleached blonde hair for good and coloring my hair to my natural brunette and leaving it the heck alone. I'll have a few white/grey streaks to deal with, but that will be so much easier than the blonde. My hair grows so fast I'm constantly touching it up. Also, I'm sick and tired of the constant battle against splits from the bleaching.

jenn14
March 26th, 2020, 10:43 PM
My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator. I work as a nurse in a hospital and i have almost classic length hair that I like to wear up in a bun so it's completely out of my way at work. My buns are about 6 to 6.5 inches in diameter and they don't work at all under the respirators I've been having to wear pretty frequently at work now. An english braid works well but the braid shedding after a 12 hour shift is pretty bad! I've been experimenting with a hawser braid which has been fun and so pretty! However even in a braid it's so long it gets in the way at work, I can't have it swinging over my shoulder as I try to start an IV! All the hairstyles I bothered to learn as my hair got long were different types of buns, so now i'm quickly trying to learn new braids that don't shed a lot. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

cjk
March 27th, 2020, 06:54 AM
Three appointments yesterday were at hospitals. Apparently I'm essential.

One of them, specifically, requires the little pleated paper masks to be worn at all times even though they are completely ineffectual. Needless to say my beard makes that a challenge. And no, I have no intention of shaving.

Anyway, this was my answer.

Ladies, you asked about braiding my beard? Here you go.

https://i.imgur.com/GHb2quC.jpg

lapushka
March 27th, 2020, 07:44 AM
I'm thinking of finally ending the bleached blonde hair for good and coloring my hair to my natural brunette and leaving it the heck alone. I'll have a few white/grey streaks to deal with, but that will be so much easier than the blonde. My hair grows so fast I'm constantly touching it up. Also, I'm sick and tired of the constant battle against splits from the bleaching.

Sounds like a great idea to me. In my case when I went from light to "my own" color again, I tried to get box dye as close to my own hair color as best as possible, but I still got roots; and it is so tempting to want to touch that up, hence the cycle goes on.

Don't be tempted! Wishing you the best! Tell us how it goes. :D

Shorty89
March 27th, 2020, 10:51 AM
My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator. I work as a nurse in a hospital and i have almost classic length hair that I like to wear up in a bun so it's completely out of my way at work. My buns are about 6 to 6.5 inches in diameter and they don't work at all under the respirators I've been having to wear pretty frequently at work now. An english braid works well but the braid shedding after a 12 hour shift is pretty bad! I've been experimenting with a hawser braid which has been fun and so pretty! However even in a braid it's so long it gets in the way at work, I can't have it swinging over my shoulder as I try to start an IV! All the hairstyles I bothered to learn as my hair got long were different types of buns, so now i'm quickly trying to learn new braids that don't shed a lot. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Have you tried a crown broad or milk maid braids? They should be flatter and might work. You could also try the vortex bun.

KokoroDragon
March 27th, 2020, 12:14 PM
Kokorodragon, what’s the name of the emulsifying wax you’re using? I’ll use up the btms but am also trying to stay as natural as possible. I washed my hair this morning with egg to get out the residual greasiness from my length and it feels so nice and soft... maybe this is a “pre poo” conditioner

So my next idea, since maybe there’s some magic in chemical conditioner to make it wash out nice... one of the recipes I found had an extra surficant in it to make a “cleansing conditioner” so I was considering maybe using soapnut liquid as the water base? But soapnuts are so conditioning themselves would adding them to conditioner be “guilding the lily” ?

It's just called olive derived emulsifying wax, I don't think it has another name.

Adding soapnut liquid sounds like it could work! I used thin flaxseed gel and AVG for my water base, since I know my hair loves them already. I don't have soapnuts, but if I did that would probably be my next experiment! Maybe I could soak some lye soap in the water for a bit, just to get a tiny bit in there? I feel like that would probably help with the grease problem, too.

cjk
March 27th, 2020, 04:09 PM
My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator.

What is the problem you have with the respirator? I'm happy to admit that my knowledge of hospital respirators is extremely limited.

For instance, when I'm in a hard hat the adjustment screw is dead center in the back. Anything that makes a bulge at that point becomes problematic for me.

If the same thing is happening to you, use a hairstyle that doesn't add bulk in the back.

Twin dutch braids work beautifully. So would double space buns. Or even a single large but low bun at the nape of your neck.

March 28th, 2020, 06:12 AM

One of them, specifically, requires the little pleated paper masks to be worn at all times even though they are completely ineffectual. Needless to say my beard makes that a challenge. And no, I have no intention of shaving.

Heh.

What's up with face masks paranoia? Everyone wants them... They don't really do much.

cjk
March 28th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Heh.

What's up with face masks paranoia? Everyone wants them... They don't really do much.

I do computer work, including at hospitals. And while you and I know that face masks, particularly the little pleated paper ones, really don't do much, they do comfort the uninformed.

Let's face it, it's probably a thing with the lawyers. Oh, at least we did something, we can't be held liable.

Particularly with my beard there is absolutely no way anything would seal anyway. I would need the beard friendly Israeli masks and while they are available on the market, I don't have one.

Wouldn't protect my eyes either.

Anyway I just thought folks might enjoy this. All of us with long hair have braided at some point, often with the intention of getting it out of the way for some justifiable reason. But long braided beards are a definite oddity in this group.

squirrrel
March 28th, 2020, 11:23 AM

The beard is fab. ETA I know someone who made thie decision to shave as his (more effective) PPE won’t fit properly with one.

Siv
March 28th, 2020, 12:30 PM
So these bangs just happened

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40758&d=1585420064

I'm super happy about them, usually I'm not spontaneous, but quarantine is making me do funny things :shrug:

Ylva
March 28th, 2020, 12:47 PM
They suit you nicely, Siv!

cjk
March 28th, 2020, 01:06 PM
I know someone who made thie decision to shave as his (more effective) PPE won’t fit properly with one.

Obviously I would never say never. If it really did get to that point, I could understand his decision. But I do find that very sad.

Beards are part of the male immune system. Like the little hairs inside the nostrils, the cilia, they enhance filtration. But also more. They have natural antibiotic and antiviral properties. They even found a new strain of phage which may revolutionize antimicrobial treatments.

And I know from personal experience, the times that I've shaved my mustache I get sick. Every freaking time!

I am demonstrably, measurably, healthier with my beard than without.

There are jokes going around some beard communities, that the virus was released by the Gillette corporation. Haha

Siv
March 28th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Hey thanks! :D

Laurab
March 28th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Tried using gel again!
It turned out well, I'd say.
The biggest difference was I squeezed a lot of water out of my hair before putting gel in. My hair seems to like that a lot better.
It still straightens out almost completely in front, but everywhere else held more wave, even after combing. Which, I know you're suppose to avoid when trying to get curls/waves, but I like how it looks a lot better when I've combed through.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/ad9ea6f23c699f7fa10b5353fbd77d6b/b00e9958d3923eb2-d6/s250x250_c1/40b0146f0da75b3e144e38135e804d43218b61d8.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/482c685059253c62dc0bb25364248dfc/b00e9958d3923eb2-0a/s500x750/5d830c2e15ddc15cd7c6992b6f728e91dd3088da.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/2571d5ceffd26dd920da67b72dca3d8c/b00e9958d3923eb2-39/s500x750/7bafbf0de61af16b64b51d6551ae72d928eb1e85.jpg

0xalis
March 28th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Laurab, your hair is sooooo pretty!! :inlove:

Laurab
March 28th, 2020, 08:57 PM
Laurab, your hair is sooooo pretty!! :inlove:

Thank you <3 <3 <3
I think this is the most I've enjoyed my hair.
I like how it looks short, but actually figuring out how to use products and make it wave has been great.

squirrrel
March 29th, 2020, 03:43 AM
Obviously I would never say never. If it really did get to that point, I could understand his decision. But I do find that very sad.

Beards are part of the male immune system. Like the little hairs inside the nostrils, the cilia, they enhance filtration. But also more. They have natural antibiotic and antiviral properties. They even found a new strain of phage which may revolutionize antimicrobial treatments.

And I know from personal experience, the times that I've shaved my mustache I get sick. Every freaking time!

I am demonstrably, measurably, healthier with my beard than without.

There are jokes going around some beard communities, that the virus was released by the Gillette corporation. Haha

Oh dear! :laugh:

Yeah, it is sad. He seems more himself with his beard, and I know he prefers it, but for the sake of safety... he drives an ambulance, and helps the paramedic whenever possible, so...

I was unaware of the benefits of a beard. That’s very interesting.

lapushka
March 29th, 2020, 04:48 AM
So these bangs just happened

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40758&d=1585420064

I'm super happy about them, usually I'm not spontaneous, but quarantine is making me do funny things :shrug:

They are very pretty! I (secretly) love wispy bangs. :D

Xlena
March 29th, 2020, 06:22 AM
I tried a couple things xd First I used one of those brushes to distribute the oils. The result was not only the roots were oily, half my hair was oily and I had to wash it xD Second I tried the curly girl method. Last time I used a lot of things to set the "curls" and it looked quite pretty, but this time I wanted to try not using them to see if my hair could hold a curl. The answer is no, that was a mess, not even a well formed wave ;););)

Siv
March 29th, 2020, 07:53 AM
Tried using gel again!
It turned out well, I'd say.
The biggest difference was I squeezed a lot of water out of my hair before putting gel in. My hair seems to like that a lot better.
It still straightens out almost completely in front, but everywhere else held more wave, even after combing. Which, I know you're suppose to avoid when trying to get curls/waves, but I like how it looks a lot better when I've combed through.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/ad9ea6f23c699f7fa10b5353fbd77d6b/b00e9958d3923eb2-d6/s250x250_c1/40b0146f0da75b3e144e38135e804d43218b61d8.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/482c685059253c62dc0bb25364248dfc/b00e9958d3923eb2-0a/s500x750/5d830c2e15ddc15cd7c6992b6f728e91dd3088da.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/2571d5ceffd26dd920da67b72dca3d8c/b00e9958d3923eb2-39/s500x750/7bafbf0de61af16b64b51d6551ae72d928eb1e85.jpg

This looks great Laurab!!

They are very pretty! I (secretly) love wispy bangs. :D

And thank you very much! :heart: :flower:

NicoleLionne
March 29th, 2020, 12:25 PM
I have been practicing my up do's. Doesn't matter if my hair escapes half-way through the day :).

Also decided to use up my last bottles of Arctic Fox and grow out my roots (the AF doesn't do anything to my roots at all). After all of this I am going to get my hair coloured back to my original colour, which I haven't seen in 15 years. If no one sees my hair, I don't really care about having very visible roots.

lapushka
March 29th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Here's me doing the same old same old. :lol:

Oh no, wait! I am going to be trying out a hair mask I still had around here. The Dove hair therapy mask (intensive repair + keratin). I can't wait to see what that will do.

FrayedFire
March 29th, 2020, 01:13 PM
I think I'm actually washing my hair more. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I'm due for a /really/ thorough S&D. More inversions, too, with the massaging.

Jane99
March 29th, 2020, 06:08 PM
I had thought about trying the self trim today, but painted a room instead. It was just plain blank white walls and now it’s a light brownish gray called “potters clay” it looks nice! Maybe will trim next weekend but I have more painting I want to do too. I’d like to do a henna gloss next weekend too. Working from home doesn’t give as much project time as I had hoped, but I’m grateful to still have a job.

Jane99
March 29th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Oh! I did shampoo using regular SLS shampoo for the first time in probably 6 weeks because my hair was feeling heavy, like heavy on my scalp almost. It looked brighter and feels lighter now!

blackgothicdoll
March 29th, 2020, 07:55 PM
Quarantine big chop. It's happening.

Laurab
March 29th, 2020, 09:28 PM
Quarantine big chop. It's happening.

Ahhh!!!!
I'm excited to hear about the results. How much are you chopping?

blackgothicdoll
March 29th, 2020, 09:39 PM
Ahhh!!!!
I'm excited to hear about the results. How much are you chopping?

It's super hard to measure because of my hair texture - my main goal was to get rid of the majority of my heat damage, which I think was successful - maybe I got to six inches (stretched) in the longest parts I cut? It's left me with some layers, and a rather short 'fringe' in front. I let my hair dry in braids so stretch out a bit, which takes a day or so, so I'll post pictures once it dries if it turned out alright. Haircuts are rather mysterious with my hair type xD

Laurab
March 29th, 2020, 09:58 PM
It's super hard to measure because of my hair texture - my main goal was to get rid of the majority of my heat damage, which I think was successful - maybe I got to six inches (stretched) in the longest parts I cut? It's left me with some layers, and a rather short 'fringe' in front. I let my hair dry in braids so stretch out a bit, which takes a day or so, so I'll post pictures once it dries if it turned out alright. Haircuts are rather mysterious with my hair type xD

Sounds like it worked out pretty well then! At the very least getting rid of the heat damage must feel good.

My mom was talking about her days cutting her own hair. She's got curls, and the benefit was it disguised it pretty well if she did a substandard job, ha.
Looking forward to seeing the end result.

lapushka
March 30th, 2020, 04:19 AM

Oooh I can't wait to see them. Is your heat damage gone totally now? :)

Laurab
March 30th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Last night I tried the famous SMT.
I get the hype! My hair is SO shiny right now!
Like, it's a shame I'm not going anywhere :laugh:

lapushka
March 30th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Last night I tried the famous SMT.
I get the hype! My hair is SO shiny right now!
Like, it's a shame I'm not going anywhere :laugh:

:lol: Glad you like it. Laurab approved. ;) :p

blackgothicdoll
March 30th, 2020, 11:42 AM
Oooh I can't wait to see them. Is your heat damage gone totally now? :)

It. Is. GONE!!!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40773&d=1585590123

I have teensy bits of pieces here and there that I snip as I find, but for the most part my hair is pretty much all virgin now! :o

Bellalla
March 30th, 2020, 11:51 AM
I'm going to try henna for the first time. Yikes.

Hairkay
March 30th, 2020, 12:01 PM
The only experiment I am doing is leaving my head alone. I last got it combed over two weeks ago. I physically can't comb it right now due to an injury. I am focusing on doing so home physiotherapy since I am my own with that. Hopefully next month I can manage to rinse and comb out half, tie up with many elastics banding style or the loose type of African threading because it will be a while before I can twist properly then progress back to plaits.

bparnell75
March 30th, 2020, 04:04 PM
I am now curling my sideburn short hair. I think I will like it better when it gets a little longer.
What do you think?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718389387_7127e3e5a0_w.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718389267_f5d9b30b05_w.jpg
Remember these velcroy rollers?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718076966_680cbb785a_w.jpg

lapushka
March 30th, 2020, 05:04 PM
It. Is. GONE!!!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40773&d=1585590123

I have teensy bits of pieces here and there that I snip as I find, but for the most part my hair is pretty much all virgin now! :o

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Congratulations on your "new" hair, in every sense of the word! :cheer:

lapushka
March 30th, 2020, 05:05 PM
The only experiment I am doing is leaving my head alone. I last got it combed over two weeks ago. I physically can't comb it right now due to an injury. I am focusing on doing so home physiotherapy since I am my own with that. Hopefully next month I can manage to rinse and comb out half, tie up with many elastics banding style or the loose type of African threading because it will be a while before I can twist properly then progress back to plaits.

I was wondering about how you were doing with that!

I'm glad you got a bit better already. Here's hoping you will improve more soon and can do a bit of your hair at least! Good luck!

KokoroDragon
March 30th, 2020, 05:48 PM
I am now curling my sideburn short hair. I think I will like it better when it gets a little longer.
What do you think?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718389387_7127e3e5a0_w.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718389267_f5d9b30b05_w.jpg
Remember these velcroy rollers?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49718076966_680cbb785a_w.jpg

That's really pretty! It reminds me of regal Victorian ladies.

Hairkay
March 31st, 2020, 03:42 PM
I was wondering about how you were doing with that!

I'm glad you got a bit better already. Here's hoping you will improve more soon and can do a bit of your hair at least! Good luck!

Thanks Lapushka,

it's painful but it's not good to rely heavily on painkillers plus it's a lot better than last month. I can shower now so my head is getting a rinse.

Here's some guys doing DIY hair cuts and having fun.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52095554/how-not-to-cut-your-hair-at-home

Natalia_A00
March 31st, 2020, 03:44 PM
Today I did a SMT treatment and I added some snail moisturizing gel. I liked the results!

poojasilk
April 2nd, 2020, 06:50 PM
I love doing hair rinses and I usually do rice water rinses, or ACV rinses. But since having more free time now, I've started experimenting with herbal tea rinses! I've done rosemary, basil, green tea, black tea, but rosemary is definitely my favorite so far! It makes my hair so soft and I love the smell of it!

Jane99
April 2nd, 2020, 07:03 PM
I love the tea rinses. I feel like an herbal essences commercial.
The homemade conditioner works great as a pre-poo conditioner! My hair feels so nice! I want to make homemade deodorant too. It’s apparently not a big deal and the natural drug store stuff is expensive.
Right now I’m waiting for some tea to brew/cool for some henna for my roots. I LOVE the smell of cloves in the henna mix so have been using cloves in the tea rinses when I do them too. That smell is just so delicious. And cloves are apparently good for hair too. And really good for teeth so I’ve been internet searching for herbal clove toothpaste because it’s apparently very good for decalcified teeth like mine

cjk
April 2nd, 2020, 07:17 PM
Going to try to learn braid-in extensions.

https://i.imgur.com/c9hcvv5.jpg

poojasilk
April 2nd, 2020, 07:17 PM
I love the tea rinses. I feel like an herbal essences commercial.
The homemade conditioner works great as a pre-poo conditioner! My hair feels so nice! I want to make homemade deodorant too. It’s apparently not a big deal and the natural drug store stuff is expensive.
Right now I’m waiting for some tea to brew/cool for some henna for my roots. I LOVE the smell of cloves in the henna mix so have been using cloves in the tea rinses when I do them too. That smell is just so delicious. And cloves are apparently good for hair too. And really good for teeth so I’ve been internet searching for herbal clove toothpaste because it’s apparently very good for decalcified teeth like mine

Ooh I love the smell of cloves too, I'm definitely going to try the clove tea rinse next!

Milady_DeWinter
April 3rd, 2020, 10:48 AM
Not much of a experiment, but I decided not to cut until 1 or 2 days before the quarantine ends, dunno when it'll be but I calculate another month or so (today we made 3 weeks of total lockdown, we can only go out for food or to the doctor, or if you work in very esencial services), may be it'll be much more. I had scheduled a 1/2" self trim for the end of March but I left my hair alone, it well can manage it and I can also cut a bit more to enjoy fresh ends just before being freed. Last trim I did was at the end of December :)

bparnell75
April 3rd, 2020, 10:54 AM
That's really pretty! It reminds me of regal Victorian ladies.

Thank You for the kind comment. I am gong to let them grow for awhile.

MusicalSpoons
April 3rd, 2020, 10:58 AM
Second try of combing during the wash in order to go as long as possible without combing during the week didn't go so well - the combing wet was fine, though I definitely use more conditioner than if I don't, but my scalp was all horrible and itchy and I scritched a lot so I ended up having to comb the scalp hair really exceptionally thoroughly by the end of day 2, and had to comb the lengths too in order to avoid matting around my neck from combing the scalp. I hope, really really hope it's the shower filter having ended its life and that a new one will help. The new one hasn't arrived in time to wash my hair today though, which is a bit annoying. I might have to try miracle water somehow to try to prevent itchiness instead. I don't really have the energy to be messing about with extra steps but my scalp really needs something doing!

SleepyTangles
April 3rd, 2020, 11:28 AM
Going to try to learn braid-in extensions.

https://i.imgur.com/c9hcvv5.jpg

That´s sounds interesting cjk! Keep us updated.
(I also kinda hope you find a way to incorporate them to your beard and give us an epic King-Under-The-Mountain cosplay, but I´m fantasy trash, don´t pay attention to me ;) )

QuietVixen
April 3rd, 2020, 02:43 PM
I've been starting up my SMT routine again. I did my first SMT since a few months ago just at the start of quarantine. My hair feels so easy to detangle now! Also I have been more diligent at putting my hair up.

cjk
April 3rd, 2020, 03:31 PM
(I also kinda hope you find a way to incorporate them to your beard and give us an epic King-Under-The-Mountain cosplay, but I´m fantasy trash, don´t pay attention to me ;) )

Congratulations I don't know that particular fantasy series.

And a Google search turned up the game but no specific characters.

Got any pictures? You've piqued my curiosity.

Shorty89
April 3rd, 2020, 10:16 PM
I look forward to seeing your extensions CJK. I think I may end up with buckets full of rice water. :lol:. I have a bunch fermenting from two batches of rice I've made.

KokoroDragon
April 3rd, 2020, 10:41 PM
I just did a fermented rice water rinse! Waiting for my hair to dry to see the results.

Jo Ann
April 4th, 2020, 01:24 AM
If/When I get quarantined (I'm a cashier, so it's not so much a matter of "If," but "When"), I've got some yellow hair dye I can try. I'm not too keen on how I look in yellow from the neck down, but from the neck up might be a sight :p

Jo Ann
April 4th, 2020, 01:44 AM

Stay safe, Ihashikei! It can be hard at times, but remember you and your co-workers are an oasis for the folks that are in quarantine but still need to get their essentials.

I'm in the same boat you are, but I'm still trying to make my customers feel as appreciated and welcome as can be. I don't know who's more appreciative, though--me, for my customers coming into the store or the customers, because the store is open!

SleepyTangles
April 4th, 2020, 01:59 AM
Congratulations I don't know that particular fantasy series.

And a Google search turned up the game but no specific characters.

Got any pictures? You've piqued my curiosity.

I had NO idea there was a game by that name!! Looks great too!
The King Under the Mountain I was referring to is Thror from the Hobbit :o
https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Thr%C3%B3r

I guess that Thorin Oakenshield was King Under the Mountain for a while, but his beard Is nowhere as epic as his grandpa's ;).
Dain Ironfoot actor's beard was also pretty cool!

cjk
April 4th, 2020, 08:18 AM
https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Thr%C3%B3r

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/3/3b/Thror_4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131203015723

I'm not sure if I should thank you or blame you for sending me down this rabbit hole. LOL

By the way that crown is incredible. Love it. Not sure about the zig zag things are holding his beard down, my guess would be something joined to his armor.

Yep, rabbit hole.

SleepyTangles
April 4th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Muhahaha, it´s so fun to lure people down into my obsessions! :demon:
I bet the beard jewels/zig-zag thingies were glued over the beard by The Hobbit costumists, but the idea seem for the zig-zag thingies to "encase" the layers of Thror´s beard.
I´m trying to find a link to show what I mean but of course nothing will do :justy:
At 00:16 you can kinda see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVIT-yccGU

ETA: in absence of an adequate human example, that probably I wouldn´t have the guts to post anyway due to copyright issues, I´ll use this collectible figurine. Kudos to whoever prepared the mold, that´s some accurate detailing.
https://itakon.it/americane/weta-king-thror-on-throne-16-statue-da-lo-hobbit-in-preordine.html

Fun fact, we have to give credit to Ms. Jamie Leigh for those spectacular beards http://www.jaimeleigh.com/portfolios/film-and-television/

Wusel
April 6th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I have tried a braided top bun today. My best friend, seeing it on videochat, said that it looked 'funny'. Well...

Lunnafindel
April 7th, 2020, 09:08 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/3/3b/Thror_4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131203015723

I'm not sure if I should thank you or blame you for sending me down this rabbit hole. LOL

By the way that crown is incredible. Love it. Not sure about the zig zag things are holding his beard down, my guess would be something joined to his armor.

Yep, rabbit hole.

OMG That zig zag thing is an amazing idea! We should do that for braids in the back - I cringe whenever I see heroines with their hair flying everywhere in battle, but if they had part of their armor that just kept the braid tucked in, it would be perfect!

bparnell75
April 7th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Today I am dong my first ever hair mask in 9 years. My ends feel so dry. I have used conditioner and oil ut not much difference. I am soaking my ponytail in egg with oil.

NicoleLionne
April 8th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Currently experimenting with DIY dry shampoo. I am afraid that the alcohols and perfume in Batiste dry shampoo will damage my hair in the long run. But I have such an oily scalp that I would otherwise have to wash my hair daily. I don't think I have found the right mixture yet, but my hair looks less greasy than with my first attempts! :D

bparnell75
April 8th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Today I am dong my first ever hair mask in 9 years. My ends feel so dry. I have used conditioner and oil ut not much difference. I am soaking my ponytail in egg with oil.

Well, if I was expecting a miracle it did not happen, however it does seem a little softer. Perhaps if I do it once a month?

AutobotsAttack
April 8th, 2020, 04:34 PM

For future reference I’d suggest doing a moisture based treatment. Protein isn’t known for giving that softening effect.

Bellalla
April 8th, 2020, 06:59 PM
For future reference I’d suggest doing a moisture based treatment. Protein isn’t known for giving that softening effect.

I was told here that egg isn't a protein treatment for hair, that it is a moisturizing treatment because the egg protein molecules are too large to penetrate hair.

Mafmi
April 8th, 2020, 07:38 PM
Lately I have been seeing a lot about using no-gluten flours for washing hair (rice, chickpea etc.) I was intrigued to say the least. I read that it was the starch that did the "cleaning" and while I didn't have any appropriate flour on hand, but I did have corn starch... You can probably guess what I did, haha. The application was a little tricky, as corn starch does that weird solid to liquid thing, but once I got it thinned out enough it went in pretty easily. My scalp got nice and clean (which I sometimes have issues with even with regular shampoo), but my hair still looks a touch greasy. It's not 100% dry though, so I will withhold judgement for now. I also did a diluted vinegar rinse afterwards (along with my regular conditioner on the length of my hair) so that might had altered the results. I think it might be worth trying with some actual flour anyways. Just need to get around to going grocery shopping!

AutobotsAttack
April 8th, 2020, 10:59 PM
I was told here that egg isn't a protein treatment for hair, that it is a moisturizing treatment because the egg protein molecules are too large to penetrate hair.

That’s correct concerning the molecules being too large. As far as actually penetrating, there’s layers of the hair that will only let certain types and certain amounts of substances get through. The lighter the molecular weight of a substance, the farther it can penetrate. Only reason egg protein isn’t all that great in its natural egg form is because it hasn’t gone through enough hydrolysis to further break it down, so molecularly speaking, it’s quite heavy. Egg protein is great at coating the hair, but it’s still not a good moisturizing treatment, because again, it’s protein based.

Even if protein treatments have too large of molecules, that doesn’t mean they can’t still coat the hair temporarily. Which is what a normal at home egg treatment will do. It’s still effective at temporarily patching up weak areas along the hair shaft, but as soon as you wash with any regular shampoo, you wash the coating away. But for moisturizing, again, egg protein from regular store bought eggs isn’t great at offering elasticity, slip, or moisturization.

Shorty89
April 8th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Lately I have been seeing a lot about using no-gluten flours for washing hair (rice, chickpea etc.) I was intrigued to say the least. I read that it was the starch that did the "cleaning" and while I didn't have any appropriate flour on hand, but I did have corn starch... You can probably guess what I did, haha. The application was a little tricky, as corn starch does that weird solid to liquid thing, but once I got it thinned out enough it went in pretty easily. My scalp got nice and clean (which I sometimes have issues with even with regular shampoo), but my hair still looks a touch greasy. It's not 100% dry though, so I will withhold judgement for now. I also did a diluted vinegar rinse afterwards (along with my regular conditioner on the length of my hair) so that might had altered the results. I think it might be worth trying with some actual flour anyways. Just need to get around to going grocery shopping!

Does it tangle your hair? That's what I'd worry about trying any of those flour type washes.

I'm trying my tangle teaser due this week. I found when I first got it that it didn't go through all my hair, but seemed to be okay. Then, I noticed more breakage. I'm trying it again because my old comb needs some sanding (actually needs to be replaced). But, the shop that has the comb I want is closed due to the virus. So far, it seems better than I remembered although I don't like using it for styling. If that doesn't change after a week, I may invest in the tangle teaser with longer, stiffer bristles. I think it's called the thick and curly.

Bat
April 9th, 2020, 02:54 AM
I'm considered essential, so i still go out and work, didn't stop me from using a hair color remover, I chickened out half away, had a fair bit of hair fall, hairs still really dark but it isnt black anymore, its a very dark red brown,still this experiment nailed home that I need to grow out and not touch hard chemicals for a year or two

Bellalla
April 9th, 2020, 05:48 AM
I'm considered essential, so i still go out and work, didn't stop me from using a hair color remover, I chickened out half away, had a fair bit of hair fall, hairs still really dark but it isnt black anymore, its a very dark red brown,still this experiment nailed home that I need to grow out and not touch hard chemicals for a year or two

Which colour remover did you use? I used ColorOops and it says to only leave it on for 15 or so minutes, but it requires a solid 30 minutes of rinsing and shampooing multiple times for the colour to come out. Did you use a different product?

SleepyTangles
April 9th, 2020, 07:39 AM
I'm iiiiiitching to try Directions Plum. I mean, I have few locks of hair that are already faded (the ones around the ears, that always get extra suds when I wash them).
It would be so convenient, I could properly assess the color :eyebrows:
On the other side, I would like to leave my hair in peace. I have way too much energy and nothing to direct It to.

eresh
April 9th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Directions Tulip was always my favourite :)
Plum sounds gorgeous! Directions are safe to use for your hair right, doesn't do harm :)

SleepyTangles
April 9th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Directions Tulip was always my favourite :)
Plum sounds gorgeous! Directions are safe to use for your hair right, doesn't do harm :)

Oh no, it doesn´t. Only pigments in a conditioner-like base :).
I just feel guilty because during this quarantine I completely forgot the notion of benign neclect :P
Plum is currently soaking in my hair, under a recycled grocery bag and a warm towel :eyebrows: . Can´t resist trying new stuff.

selkieQc
April 9th, 2020, 11:54 AM
For two weeks I stopped washing my hair with shampooing ! I only did it with warm water :') it wasnt that bad because I was rinsing very well, but I was happy to use again shampooing 😂 my hair was really soft :)

FrayedFire
April 9th, 2020, 12:36 PM
My experiment seems to be daily cowashing because I have to go through a cleaning process when I get home from work and since I haven't been covering my hair, just my face, I feel the need to wash it so I'm hoping that my hair likes it cause my body sure doesn't. I always sweat more when I have recently showered, so even though I'm cleaner, I smell worse. :(

Jane99
April 9th, 2020, 04:02 PM
I’m trying to figure out balance with giving my hairs oil for moisture retention but not too much that it makes the hair greasy and heavy. I made another batch of homemade conditioner last night. Hair was a little greasy from oiling the day before. Decided to do an SMT since the dew point was finally high enough yesterday. Hair felt great this morning after drying overnight but too greasy! The store bought condish is so easy. But I want natural stuff and that stuff is too expensive. Still working on my recipe.

Nedertane
April 9th, 2020, 06:33 PM
I might be getting oiling down to a science in the little downtime that I have (I'm an essential worker, and working different hours than normal). I've found that spraying my hair to get it just slightly damp and going in with an oil (argan, pumpkin seed, or jojoba) is working amazingly! How didn't I think of this before??

I... also might try to trim my own hair. And try to keep the layers. 😬 I ordered a pair of scissors from Sally Beauty, so I may as well try 'em out. I wasn't going to do anything like this at first, but the split ends are pretty bad. Its for the health of my hair... right?

Bat
April 10th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Which colour remover did you use? I used ColorOops and it says to only leave it on for 15 or so minutes, but it requires a solid 30 minutes of rinsing and shampooing multiple times for the colour to come out. Did you use a different product?

scott Cornwall Decolour Remover Hair Colour Remover Kit, I usually prefer colorless max remover but my store had run out, what a mistake! but lessoned learned, I'll do it the slow way and grow it out natrually

poli
April 10th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I'm trying brush out pin curls. It's nice fluffy wavy hair. I would say successful experiment.

lapushka
April 11th, 2020, 11:48 AM
I think my mom might try some new stylers when she does her hair Monday. We'll see.

Bri-Chan
April 13th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Today, after weeks of a sulfate-free shampoo, I used a sles very strong shampoo to clarify (kind of) and then I used a mask, detangled, rinsed, mask again and squish-to-condish, then rinsed again, put it in a towel and now airdrying without any kind of manipulation. I'm curious about the result. It's the second time I try to condition twice. I never heard about it before LHC. Well, the last time my hair turned out better then usual. I'm curious about today.

Dark40
April 13th, 2020, 12:28 PM
I've mostly dyed my hair a lighter color than what it was before, and I've deep conditioned it as well. I'm not planning on making any changes to my routine during this difficult time. I'm going to stick to the same routine washing it 2 or 3 times a week, and I'm seriously thinking about switching back to daily washing! my hair was much happier that way. I''m also experimenting with products in my stash that I've never tried or used before too.

Mafmi
April 14th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Does it tangle your hair? That's what I'd worry about trying any of those flour type washes.

It was actually very smooth and slippery when I washed it out, it almost felt like conditioner. But that was corn starch, not flour, so maybe it would. I know if you use flour with gluten it can gum up and tangle in your hair though.

Climber
April 15th, 2020, 06:40 AM
I cut off 7 inches last night, back to tailbone! It was a bit of a whim, but I'm really happy with that. I don't take pictures, so no show and tell.

lapushka
April 15th, 2020, 07:02 AM
I cut off 7 inches last night, back to tailbone! It was a bit of a whim, but I'm really happy with that. I don't take pictures, so no show and tell.

Too bad you don't take pictures. :flower: Not that we want proof. :p It would just be nice to see how you managed the cut and what your hair is like. I don't think I ever saw your hair. :)

Ylva
April 15th, 2020, 07:06 AM
I'd love to see a pic as well! You don't have to post any, of course. Just throwing that out there!

Tailbone is such a nice length. I should be back there in a couple of months' time. I think it's one of those really "balanced"-looking hair lengths.

jane_marie
April 15th, 2020, 07:13 AM
I received a couple of samples of this product (https://www.sephora.com/product/caviar-anti-aging-restructuring-bond-repair-3-in-1-sealing-serum-P435934?om_mmc=ppc-GG_6570985164_82759721430_aud-299050439438:dsa-819642212576__426708436294_9024736_c&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4dr0BRCxARIsAKUNjWTQQrkChBZq_BTvfALN UoSVCJzMHr9Be15C6XCVrbtCXHJt0GfQxVIaAtLaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) from a Sephora order.

I wanted to hate it because it's so expensive but both times it works really well. It was like Olaplex on steroids.

Just a heads up.

Olavi
April 15th, 2020, 07:33 AM
I'm growing my shaved parts out a bit. I have some spots at my hairline that look weird when short, and because I don't want to shave like every week (my scalp couldn't handle it), I will grow all of my hair for awhile, then bleach and dye them, and once I have bit of a roots grown, I will shave again, but this time leave those weird spots longer, and hopefully in time they will mix in with rest of my longer hair.

Bri-Chan
April 15th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Tailbone is such a nice length. I should be back there in a couple of months' time. I think it's one of those really "balanced"-looking hair lengths.
I totally agree. Maybe it's also what I mean when I think "long hair"

kinnyuu
April 15th, 2020, 02:58 PM
I ended up putting manic panic on my ends and it looked terrible. Fail experiment.

elisa101
September 30th, 2020, 01:06 PM
ooooh, During quarantine I have a lot of experiments with the hair of my boy and with my own hair. As for me, I have long curly, very curly hair and I decided to see myself with long straight hair. I've taken hair straightener (https://womenmotorist.com/best-steam-hair-straightener/) and have spend a few hours while I've got something similar to straight hair but with small waves. Speaking about my boy's hair, I have cut letters, hearts, flowers on his head, I shaved off half his hair and said that the shaving machine was empty and whatnot.

leayellena
October 1st, 2020, 03:34 AM
- capillary schedule
- locking in moisture with heavier conditioner (containing oils and/or protein)
- updos for dentist's chair because a big bulky cinnabun is becomming a hard knob on my nape and I can't rest my head on the dentist's chair. it's about flattening updos and looser versions. I'm still blogging about it and I wait for my ordered hair forks to arrive so I can experiment. so far such updos work by placing small claw clips on the sides of the updo and the wider the updo the better (lwb, neoma knot, jjj's hand wrap and their braided versions and of course the ellingwoman. a hairstick might work too but I find it kinda unpractical for slippery hair.
- I also work on bun placement because for some people or in some situations a french or dutch braid might work better than a ponytail base to lean your head on.

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 04:37 AM
During quarantine, I've decided to experiment with apple cider vinegar, castile soap, and Indian powders. It didn't go well.. lol. I am now back to my old simple routine.... shampoo.. condition.. and leave it alone. Works every time. :o