PDA

View Full Version : Washing someone else's hair

Elodea
March 13th, 2020, 01:33 PM
Have you ever done this? If so, what was it like? I'm thinking more along the lines of washing a friend's hair rather than a child under your care, or a customer at a hair salon (the latter two situations are somewhat more expected/typical situations in which someone would wash another person's hair).

Also, how do you feel about having your own hair washed by someone else?

The other week, I convinced one of my friends to let me wash their hair the sink for the heck of it. Plus I had some shampoo I wanted to use up because I don't like it for myself.

Personally, I find it relaxing to have my hair washed by someone else, as long as they aren't too rough and the water is a good temperature.

SleepyTangles
March 13th, 2020, 01:56 PM
I did quite a lot of times, actually! Whenever it was for helping a friend with henna, or a deep treatment, or other little things. Itīs a bit like giving a shoulder massage: if you are gentle itīs easy and is always very appreciated :D
My one advice: if you wash their hair upside down, keep a tangle teezer and a detangling spray handy: its a bit more knotty than washing hair in the same direction is growing.

Ylva
March 13th, 2020, 02:18 PM
I occasionally wash my boyfriend's hair. It's not like he can't do it himself, but he enjoys the pampering and I find it fun to wash his hair.

I'd love to wash one of my friends' hair. He is a type 4 and never conditions his hair, so I'd love to see what I could do to it with conditioners and care.

oldrocker
March 13th, 2020, 07:22 PM
Did anyone ever see the movie, Out of Africa? Robert Redford washed Meryl Streep's hair out in the lawn....

Pretty sure it didn't register in many men's opinions, but, it might have been more remarkable in the lady viewers minds....

O.R.

Elodea
March 13th, 2020, 08:35 PM
I did quite a lot of times, actually! Whenever it was for helping a friend with henna, or a deep treatment, or other little things. Itīs a bit like giving a shoulder massage: if you are gentle itīs easy and is always very appreciated :D
My one advice: if you wash their hair upside down, keep a tangle teezer and a detangling spray handy: its a bit more knotty than washing hair in the same direction is growing.

I occasionally wash my boyfriend's hair. It's not like he can't do it himself, but he enjoys the pampering and I find it fun to wash his hair.

I'd love to wash one of my friends' hair. He is a type 4 and never conditions his hair, so I'd love to see what I could do to it with conditioners and care.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has done/thought of doing this! I was also curious about how the shampoo and conditioner I chose to use would affect my friend's hair since he said he usually just uses a 2 in 1 product. Now I kind of want to try and wash the hair of as many of my friends who'll let me do it haha.

Dark40
March 13th, 2020, 08:50 PM
I washed one of my girlfriend's hair one time many years ago. She really loved the way I did it! She told me that I would make a good hair stylist someday. I also think it's relaxing when someone else washes my hair too. Especially, when they are not too rough with it.

lapushka
March 14th, 2020, 03:42 AM
I can't respond to this without getting into the nooks & crannies of my disability, so I'm not going to.

Suffice it to say that when I say "I wash my hair", it's not me that does it all by myself.

lunalocks
March 14th, 2020, 04:07 PM
I washed my mom's hair weekly for the last 3 years of her life. It was quite a process. Short, permed hair. Shampoo x2, condition, towel dry, mousse. I guess that's not too complicated. Always gave her a good scalp massage. Every time she would tell me how good it felt and how much better it was than a professionals. She said the very first time she would visit a salon they would fuss over her and give her a good scalp massage, but in the next visits it would never be as good. I would also help her shower and slather her with lotion and massage her back and feet and legs. I'm so glad I was able to give her this assistance and pleasure.

I used to love having my hair washed by someone else, but now I am too anxious since it is so long.

MusicalSpoons
March 14th, 2020, 04:59 PM
I don't like other people touching my head, and I've never been interested in playing with other people's hair, so no ... but if my health went downhill to the point of needing help to wash, I'd have to deal with it because I am Not cutting my hair!

As for someone else, well if they needed help and it was a way I could assist then of course I'd be very willing, but it's not something I'd likely do otherwise.

KokoroDragon
March 14th, 2020, 08:21 PM
I've washed two of my friends' hair! One of them had curls as a toddler and we decided to try the curly girl method to see if we could restore them. I washed her hair once a week for a few weeks in a row, and will probably continue to in the future.
My other friend has shoulder length, frizzy hair that quite clearly wants to curl, but he doesn't take care of it. So I applied the knowledge that I gained from washing my other friends hair, and he liked the results so much he took my advice and started taking better care of it! Last time I saw him he had 2b/2c/3a waves/curls. Still frizzy, but much less so than before.
I actually really like washing other people's hair, I feel like it's a nice way to hang out and bond. I'm planning on washing my brother's hair next time he visits as well, since his hair is now past shoulder length and it's becoming wavy! I guess because my own hair is straight, I live vicariously through my wavy/curly friends!

Bri-Chan
March 15th, 2020, 01:22 AM
I never did... I helped with styling but not washing.
On me, usually the hairdresser. I find it neutral, but the after...seems like none can detangles my hair instead of me

Zesty
March 15th, 2020, 08:13 AM
I was washing my husband's hair for him pretty regularly for a while, kind of to teach him how to do it. I didn't take any particular pleasure in it other than feeling like we were bonding, it was just a thing.

I wouldn't trust many people to wash my hair. I did have it washed at the salon in December but it's a long hair salon and they have a special sink and everything. Again though, it was just a thing, I didn't have strong feelings about it either way.

Hedwig
March 15th, 2020, 08:44 AM
I sometimes wash my boyfriend's hair when we shower together but it's less because I love washing other peoples' hair, it was more of a bonding thing. It was also kind of funny.

Elodea
March 15th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I washed one of my girlfriend's hair one time many years ago. She really loved the way I did it! She told me that I would make a good hair stylist someday. I also think it's relaxing when someone else washes my hair too. Especially, when they are not too rough with it.
Yes, I definitely find it relaxing to have my hair washed by someone else as long as they aren't violently yanking at it or something.

I don't like other people touching my head, and I've never been interested in playing with other people's hair, so no ... but if my health went downhill to the point of needing help to wash, I'd have to deal with it because I am Not cutting my hair!

As for someone else, well if they needed help and it was a way I could assist then of course I'd be very willing, but it's not something I'd likely do otherwise.
I'm the opposite; I kind of like touching/playing with other people's hair (with their permission, of course, not as in randomly grabbing at strangers' hair to touch it!) and I also don't particularly mind if someone I know wanted to touch/play with my own hair. If it were a random stranger that asked, I'd probably say no, but as for my friends, they can have at it if they want (as long as they aren't doing things that would make it tangly).

I've washed two of my friends' hair! One of them had curls as a toddler and we decided to try the curly girl method to see if we could restore them. I washed her hair once a week for a few weeks in a row, and will probably continue to in the future.
My other friend has shoulder length, frizzy hair that quite clearly wants to curl, but he doesn't take care of it. So I applied the knowledge that I gained from washing my other friends hair, and he liked the results so much he took my advice and started taking better care of it! Last time I saw him he had 2b/2c/3a waves/curls. Still frizzy, but much less so than before.
I actually really like washing other people's hair, I feel like it's a nice way to hang out and bond. I'm planning on washing my brother's hair next time he visits as well, since his hair is now past shoulder length and it's becoming wavy! I guess because my own hair is straight, I live vicariously through my wavy/curly friends!
It's so interesting to hear other people's stories about this! My friend whose hair I washed is probably like a 2b or 2c, maybe 3a when his hair is longer (it's currently short enough so it just looks sort of puffy from the waviness, but not long enough to really show full waves/curls), so rather similar to one of your friends, it seems like. I was definitely curious about what the effects would be from the particular shampoo/conditioner I used when I washed his hair. I kind of want to wash it again some more times, perhaps using different products to see what effect that would have.

I was washing my husband's hair for him pretty regularly for a while, kind of to teach him how to do it. I didn't take any particular pleasure in it other than feeling like we were bonding, it was just a thing.

I wouldn't trust many people to wash my hair. I did have it washed at the salon in December but it's a long hair salon and they have a special sink and everything. Again though, it was just a thing, I didn't have strong feelings about it either way.
It's been nearly a year now since the last time I went and had my hair washed and trimmed at a salon, though I never really worried about having it washed at the salon before. As long as the person washing it isn't too rough, I'd be fine with having them wash it. I think my only concern now if I were to have it washed in a salon is that they might end up using a shampoo that doesn't agree with my hair -- all the times in the past, I didn't have any input over which shampoo they used, not that I really minded (though perhaps in the future, I suppose I could request they use a specific one if I wanted to?).

Dark40
March 15th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Yes, I definitely find it relaxing to have my hair washed by someone else as long as they aren't violently yanking at it or something.

I'm the opposite; I kind of like touching/playing with other people's hair (with their permission, of course, not as in randomly grabbing at strangers' hair to touch it!) and I also don't particularly mind if someone I know wanted to touch/play with my own hair. If it were a random stranger that asked, I'd probably say no, but as for my friends, they can have at it if they want (as long as they aren't doing things that would make it tangly).

It's so interesting to hear other people's stories about this! My friend whose hair I washed is probably like a 2b or 2c, maybe 3a when his hair is longer (it's currently short enough so it just looks sort of puffy from the waviness, but not long enough to really show full waves/curls), so rather similar to one of your friends, it seems like. I was definitely curious about what the effects would be from the particular shampoo/conditioner I used when I washed his hair. I kind of want to wash it again some more times, perhaps using different products to see what effect that would have.

It's been nearly a year now since the last time I went and had my hair washed and trimmed at a salon, though I never really worried about having it washed at the salon before. As long as the person washing it isn't too rough, I'd be fine with having them wash it. I think my only concern now if I were to have it washed in a salon is that they might end up using a shampoo that doesn't agree with my hair -- all the times in the past, I didn't have any input over which shampoo they used, not that I really minded (though perhaps in the future, I suppose I could request they use a specific one if I wanted to?).

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's no reason for anyone to violently yank on your hair. There's one person's hair I would love to wash and do! And, that's my girlfriend from high school. She had hip/tailbone length hair.

Yalena
March 16th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I love washing other people's hair! I've done it quite a few times, and my ex boyfriend had waist length hair that he even let me henna. I like having mine done, but it's so thick and curly that I'm quite fussy about how they do it...

AutobotsAttack
March 16th, 2020, 05:07 PM
I love washing my husbands hair. It’s really a nice learning experience considering he’s of European ethnicity with 1A straight hair, and I’m African American ethnicity with a mix of 3b-4a coils. His hair is fine like mine, but behaves quite a bit differently. I will say that it’s much easier to get to his scalp than it is mine. And I don’t need nearly as much conditioner. Brushing/detangling his hair is a breeze as well. Only way I can detangle my hair is under running shower water with tons of conditioner and my Wet Brush.

As for someone else washing my hair? Nope. Absolutely not. In general, everyone who’s ever touched my hair has done so quite roughly. I have very fine hair that’s almost exactly the same texture as a soft cotton ball. I treat it as very fine and delicate fabric, and having anyone else handle my hair just irritates me because their touch just isn’t as gentle as mine. The ONLY person who handles my hair gently is my husband. I’ve never let him wash it, but he has helped me finger detangle a small section once.

ZoeZ
March 17th, 2020, 06:35 AM
No, not a fan of other people washing my hair (hence I hat going to salons) and I have never washed anyone else's hair (no kids) so I can't really imagine that. My husband had a military cut so never did that either, although I might have enjoyed that.