PDA

View Full Version : Tangle Teezers??

beckybourbon
March 12th, 2020, 07:21 PM
What are your thoughts on tangle teezer brushes? I want to buy one but I’ve heard good and bad things. I have fine thick hair so it gets really tangled easily and I get split ends a lot. Help

cm006j
March 12th, 2020, 08:12 PM
They were useless for me, but my hair is very thick and somewhat coarse. Then again, a lot of Black girls I know love them so I don't know if it's thickness that's the issue. But they don't work for me at all :-/

SwanFeathers
March 12th, 2020, 08:52 PM
I have fine+thick hair and I like both my tangle teezers.

blackgothicdoll
March 12th, 2020, 10:09 PM
They were useless for me, but my hair is very thick and somewhat coarse. Then again, a lot of Black girls I know love them so I don't know if it's thickness that's the issue. But they don't work for me at all :-/

Yes, the thick and curly brush I think it's called works like heaven. Better than Denman, wet brush, anything I've ever tried. I only dislike that the bristles warp over time.

Coarse strands here, too.

beckybourbon
March 12th, 2020, 10:34 PM
Does it cause more breakage than a normal brush?

Simsy
March 13th, 2020, 12:08 AM
I like mine well enough; but I do notice the strands get more roughed up with it over a wooden comb. I use mine for hair masks and the occasional detangle in the shower. I get too many splits using it regularly on dry hair. It is very good when I have a lot of tangles and can’t bothered dealing with them slowly.

squirrrel
March 13th, 2020, 12:13 AM
I think, for me, it’s the way I use them as well. If my hair has a lot of loose tangles in it, and I brush straight down them, I can actually turn those into actual knots — especially if my hair has a lot of oil in it. As long as I brush from the bottom, in stages, this bit isn’t an issue.

Simsy
March 13th, 2020, 12:21 AM
Does it cause more breakage than a normal brush?

The shortest and most accurate answer you’ll get is “it depends”. I do get more breakage, but sometimes that’s worth it to be throughly detangled and for product distribution.

Alila
March 13th, 2020, 12:40 AM
I love my tangle teezer. It doesn't cause split ends for me as far as I can tell. I use it on dry hair and detangle from the bottom up. I doesn't rough up my hair strands. (My hair is straight)

SleepyTangles
March 13th, 2020, 02:03 AM
I looove mine, but I always finish my detangling with few strokes of wooden comb to prevent statics!

Ylva
March 13th, 2020, 02:54 AM
It's the only brush I've been using for well over a year now. I would probably be using a Wet Brush if it wasn't for the fact that lint is impossible to remove from it, so the Tangle Teezer wins in the end.

Faraniel
March 13th, 2020, 03:09 AM
I think they are great but I switched to a combined brush and it feels so good.

Yalena
March 13th, 2020, 03:41 AM
I must admit, I've had a few and I don't use them anymore. I wanted to love them, but I did find on my thick type 3 hair they just weren't effective. One problem I had was they just weren't deep enough so it would take forever! I've switched to a plain wood comb and paddle brush, and I love them.

Simpscone
March 13th, 2020, 03:48 AM
I've used them on and off for years and they're definitely the best way I've found to detangle my thick, wurly hair.

Anything else I used takes forever and is much more painful when detangling.

I haven't noticed any breakage for using them but my hair isn't prone to breakage and it sounds like we have quite different types of hair!

I think with all brushes/combs some work for some people and not for others!

Joules
March 13th, 2020, 03:57 AM
Medium thick and medium coarse hair here.

I've been using TTs for exactly 5 years now and I wouldn't change them for the world. I brush my hair wet and dry, it doesn't matter, I even use it to brush my hair when it's covered in a hair mask and it completely changed the way my masks work. The only thing I'd recommend paying attention to is bristles, my hair is on the thicker side of ii and "classic" bristle length was a bit too short for me. It worked ok, but still. I switched to the new wet detangler 6 months ago and it works perfectly (thick&curly also has longer bristles). Compact TTs were totally useless on my thickness.

Siv
March 13th, 2020, 05:15 AM
I've used TT for years now, I currently have... 4 (!!)
1 compact in my school bag for emergencies
1 fine and fragile for everyday dry detangling
1 wet brush for damp detangling
1 "paddle" brush and 1 round brush for blow drying

All in all I'd say I get along the best with the wet brush, for regular detangling as well. The fine and fragile is great too, except I've only had it three months and the bristles are already all bent in different directions.

I haven't noticed more breakage, but I know some people do.

Yalena
March 13th, 2020, 05:19 AM
Medium thick and medium coarse hair here.

I've been using TTs for exactly 5 years now and I wouldn't change them for the world. I brush my hair wet and dry, it doesn't matter, I even use it to brush my hair when it's covered in a hair mask and it completely changed the way my masks work. The only thing I'd recommend paying attention to is bristles, my hair is on the thicker side of ii and "classic" bristle length was a bit too short for me. It worked ok, but still. I switched to the new wet detangler 6 months ago and it works perfectly (thick&curly also has longer bristles). Compact TTs were totally useless on my thickness.

Oh wow! When I had mine there was only one length! I will check them out again, maybe the longer bristles will help. Thanks for this!

eresh
March 13th, 2020, 06:06 AM
I didn't like the regular Tangle Teezer.
But only because I am too clumbsy to hold it while brushing LOLÍt kept flying across the bathroom.

Then they released The Wet Detangler, WITH a handle!!!!
I LOOOOOVE this one so much!!!
I use it on dry and wet hair.
The bristles of the Wet Detangler are a little softer than the regular Tangle Teezer.
I have this one, it is so pretty :)
https://www.tangleteezer.com/eu/all-brushes/detangling/the-wet-detangler/silver-sparkle-the-wet-detangler.html

I would also like to try the Fine&Fragile one, but I'll wait untill (if at all) they release that with a handle.
They now have TT's for each hairtype!

I use the regular TT on my long haired dog and my cats.

lapushka
March 13th, 2020, 06:15 AM
I have TT knock-offs (from Aldi/Lidl) and they are just as good. I use one to detangle my hair pre-wash. Dry. Then I wash, and when my hair comes out the towel damp, I use my Wet brush knock-off. It is even better, but I don't use it on dry hair as I have a lot of lint in my hair and it is harder to clean than a TT.

The key, however, is how you detangle, *more* than any brush you'll use.

You need to start from the ends, and then slowly work your way up to the roots. If you didn't know that already. ;)

Xlena
March 13th, 2020, 08:02 AM
I've used it for years and it's the best I could ever buy for my hair. It's fantastic. I use it on both dry and wet hair

wishy
March 13th, 2020, 08:28 AM
I used wet brushes for years, but I had no idea how much they were ripping out my hair until I got a tangle teaser! I have the fine & fragile one & it's the least damaging brush I've ever used. I really need to order a second one because I panic when I misplace mine!

Servana
March 13th, 2020, 12:33 PM
My sister has a dupe for the wet tangle teezer and it doesn't work for my hair unfortunately. I have iii hair and it doesn't penetrate well enough. I also find it to be quite painful and just not effective at detangling my hair.

My favourite brush is one with very long but bendy bristles, in a paddle style. I've experimented with sooo many brushes over the years and i've found that the traditional paddle brush with the balls on the ends works much better for me than many of the things recommended here - tangle tweezers, BBB, wooden brushes, etc. I don't get damage and it gets the job done. Recently however I got a new one from Lady Jane that is a paddle brush with balls but the bristles (still metal) are extremely bendy. It's the best brush I've ever had! Pain-free and it actually penetrates my hair to the scalp! It's amazing because I tend to have an irritable scalp and it really reduces that. So good!

https://images.app.goo.gl/39tAcWPAKmwi76Jc6

lapushka
March 13th, 2020, 12:56 PM
My sister has a dupe for the wet tangle teezer and it doesn't work for my hair unfortunately. I have iii hair and it doesn't penetrate well enough. I also find it to be quite painful and just not effective at detangling my hair.

My favourite brush is one with very long but bendy bristles, in a paddle style. I've experimented with sooo many brushes over the years and i've found that the traditional paddle brush with the balls on the ends works much better for me than many of the things recommended here - tangle tweezers, BBB, wooden brushes, etc. I don't get damage and it gets the job done. Recently however I got a new one from Lady Jane that is a paddle brush with balls but the bristles (still metal) are extremely bendy. It's the best brush I've ever had! Pain-free and it actually penetrates my hair to the scalp! It's amazing because I tend to have an irritable scalp and it really reduces that. So good!

https://images.app.goo.gl/39tAcWPAKmwi76Jc6

That looks like a Wet brush, actually. :)

Entangled
March 13th, 2020, 01:02 PM
I love mine. I’ve been using them for years. Way better than my old ball-tipped paddle-brush hair ripper. I find that I’m more gentle when I use things without handles, so that doesn’t bother me. Mine typically last for three years, I think?