PDA

View Full Version : Anyone share my trepidation regarding hairsticks?

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think sticks are pretty and unusual... but I don't see them as something I want in MY hair. I don't know why; it's like some sort of prejudice or even a minor fear. I don't feel this way about clips, barrettes, scrunchies, or even hair jewelry. Anyone who can relate? (On the plus side: think of all the money I'll save!)

I think it has to do with the pointy, fierce nature of sticks. I like to think of my hair as a soft surface and sticks seem to cut into that. That's the best explanation I can come up with :)

Bene
November 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
i know what you're talking about, i'm a stick and fork user (there's something so simple and organic about them), but i kinda feel that way about barrettes. they've got those moving parts so they're unnatural. also, they look ok on little girls, but i think they kind of look tacky on adults. it's totally a prejudice, but yeah, barrettes have no place in my hair.

AutumnLeaves
November 10th, 2008, 06:25 AM
And I am that way about Ficcares for some reason. I think it is the fact that they look like bird bills to me that have been taken off of the bird! LOL My only problem with sticks is that they do not hold my hair for long. It usually all tumbles out fairly quickly, no matter how tight I initially get them inserted!

mellie
November 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Same with me, my hair loves escaping from such devices!

Curlsgirl
November 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I am that way about barrettes now. If it has a clasp then I don't tend to like it because I am afraid it is going to take my hair with it when I take it out. :shudder:

Carolyn
November 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Are you thinking that hair sticks are something you could harm someone else with or that the sticks will harm your hair? I don't really understand what your fear is. I'm kind of afraid that the clamping type barrettes could hurt my hair but I don't have those fears with hair sticks or forks. My hair sticks just glide into my hair and the pretty ends decorate my buns. They are hair jewelry. Personally I prefer a decorated bun to a non-decorated one. I think a bun just looked more "finished" with sticks or a fork in it.

joyfulmom4
November 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I can't say they bother me, but I do have trouble getting them to hold my hair up well. I've been getting better at it though. And I also supplement the hairsticks with a bunch of hairpins to keep the hair more secure.

Katze
November 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I only have trouble getting hairsticks to stay in my hair and look good. I'm working on this with my one Ketylo, but this morning picked the Ficcare instead - less hassle.

Your feeling about sticks echoes mine about scrunchies. No matter what, I can't ever wear one out of the house. Too many bad '80s memories I guess...they just have a certain look to them that looks outdated, unattractive, sloppy. Which is a shame, because I've been enjoying sleeping with my hair in one in a bun!

Melisande
November 11th, 2008, 03:10 AM
No snap barrettes any more in my hair, either. Scrunchies - only at night and at home, yes. I own a pair of metal hairsticks that look really dangerous, and I use them rarely. They look too fierce. Somebody could use them as a weapon against me...

But my wooden hairsticks are lovely and have a gentle tip. They are very smooth, too, and don't they damage my hair. The same is true for forks. I didn't expect them to work well in my hair. But they do.

And I was sure scroos were a crazy idea but since I have to try crazy stuff, I tried them. And I was amazed that they do work well and are gentle, too.

The plastic hair stuff in normal drugstores can't compare to good hair toys, and I don't even look at it any more.

vampodrama
November 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I think I would rather die than wear a scrunchie.

I can't for the LIFE of me imagine myself wearing a scrunchie... they are way too awful IMHO :D

kinda like Crocs. yikes.

(a thousand apologies to all scrunchie and Crocs lovers, nothing against you personally, just the things you wear :P)

Melisande
November 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Here I sit, a scrunchie bun on my head and gray crocs on my feet! But nobody ever sees me like that, only my cats and my kids, and they don't care :)

aisling
November 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
And I am that way about Ficcares for some reason. I think it is the fact that they look like bird bills to me that have been taken off of the bird! LOL My only problem with sticks is that they do not hold my hair for long. It usually all tumbles out fairly quickly, no matter how tight I initially get them inserted!

Same with me, my hair loves escaping from such devices!

Trust me, it will get better the longer your hair grows! My slippery hair was impossible to bun with just a stick or fork before a certain length, the more loops and twists and bends I can make, the better the bun holds.

About hairsticks, there are so many different style of sticks that I'd imagine everybody should be able to find one that lookwise will work for them. I don't like very decorative and beaded sticks myself, I prefer simple ones.

Then about the safety of sticks, well made sticks sure are way better and safer for your hair than normal barrettes and small clips from the supermarket.

Hypnotica
November 11th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I have weird dislike to forks with tops that are too round.

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I love the look of sticks, and have a few now, but i rarely wear them, especially in winter. My main issue is that they get knocked alot and the collars of coats or my scarves catch on them in winter (i like to REALLY wrap up). I also find i have to be carefull inserting them as if i don't do it slowly and kind of twist them then i feel hairs snap.
I have to confess i live in a scrunchie bun most of the time....i know some people hate them...but i don't really care, and am not offended by that :)
Those ficcare things i can't work out, i brought one recently and just can't get it to hold my hair...pity as it looks quite nice.

AutumnLeaves
November 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hey! I love my crocs!!! LOLOL

jojo
November 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I love crocs too and my scrunchies!! LOL!!!

Periwinkle
November 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I feel similarly about scrunchies; I just don't like them at all. Too many memories of being forced to wear a scrunchie that matched my blue-and-white-checked school summer dress!

Fantak
November 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I will not use anything except claw clips and silk-satin ribbon in my hair. I am terribly afraid of breakage and even after being told/reading numerous times on LHC that hair sticks, Ficcares, forks even barrettes if covered with fabric are perfectly safe for hair, I can't bring my self to use any of them.

However, I am planning to venture into combs (come to think of it it's probably because they look like half a claw clip >.<).

snowbear
November 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Things that do not go in my hair: Scrunchies, anything found at Claire's, barrettes, butterfly clips, gaudy sticks, sticks with toppers longer than 1".

Things that do go in my hair: Quality hair sticks, Ficcares, Flexi-8. (No forks yet.)

...I've turned into such a toy snob.

RavennaNight
November 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not bothered by hair sticks, I like them, but I can't get them to hold my hair *by themselves.* I always find I need a hairtie or scrunchie to get the style started and pins to hold the tie-around hair in place.

Aisha25
November 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have a fear of this sticks I always think they are ripping through the hairs and will pull the hairs out,scrunchies,I am scared of always seeing hairs come out with the scrunchii,barettes,like the hair might get a stuck in the clasp part then they will get pulled out of my scalp *ouchy*.

papillon
November 12th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I am afraid of hair sticks because I've broken two before. It was not a pleasant experience hearing a loud *snap* and realizing the wood had shattered in my hair. I managed to use a pen once to keep a bun up, but there's still something about having to put the stick through my hair that gets me. I stick to claw clips. I've broken a couple of those before, but somehow it wasn't as terrifying as breaking a hair stick. :(

aisling
November 12th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I will not use anything except claw clips and silk-satin ribbon in my hair. I am terribly afraid of breakage and even after being told/reading numerous times on LHC that hair sticks, Ficcares, forks even barrettes if covered with fabric are perfectly safe for hair, I can't bring my self to use any of them.

However, I am planning to venture into combs (come to think of it it's probably because they look like half a claw clip >.<).

I've never ever found a claw clip that would have been as smooth and safe as a well made wooden or metal hairstick or fork.

Fantak
November 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I've never ever found a claw clip that would have been as smooth and safe as a well made wooden or metal hairstick or fork.

You're right, a lot of them aren't and are made of rigid plastic with jagged teeth, but like pretty much everything else the HE ones are a dream, they have super smooth teeth and a light spring so that it doesn't squeeze the life out of your hair. After much trial and error I pretty much use only Alexandre claw clips. They're great, amazing quality and all different colours and sizes (as well as pretty pretty crystals which are actually built into the plastic not stuck on) ^.^

embee
November 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Huh. I love my Crocs and I sleep in a high scrunchie bun! ;)

I am "afraid" of metal hairsticks, I don't know why, I've never had one, never used one. I don't even find them pretty, although the toppers on them can be wonderful. The ones I see are so thin - they don't really look like they'd stay in my hair, but slide on through!

I *love* my turned wood Catstyle hairstick, it's the greatest. :) My 2 MeiFa sticks are fine and I use them often, but I am wary of the bead toppers: sometimes a hair gets looped on one and then "snap". :( All my sticks are very smooth and there is no damage putting them in.

I have one hairfork, a gift from DD, and it was very damaging until I took serious sandpaper to it one day. Now it is fine, but I when I wear it I am nervous I'll break off the decorative carved topper.

Barettes with hinges are a snagging problem often and that's why I've never spent money for a Ficcare.

Peggy E.
November 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
....And then there's me who will pretty much be open to putting all kinds of weird and unusual gadgets, gismos and thing-a-ma-bobs in my hair (and I have the torn, broken, ripped out hair to prove it....)

I'm not crazy about hair sticks because I find they don't work that well in my hair. The really, really good (re: Expensive!) sticks will hold, but the majority of them will not. My hair's long, not thick, though, and I possess very long "fairy tale ends" which makes it tough for a stick to snag and hold.

The best hold I get is when I do a hairstick wrap, but I don't wear it often, so don't often use my wonderful sticks.

Barrettes have never been a problem, except for the ancient ones with the two wires that fit into a "holder" on one end - I'll take the French clasp over that one any day, thank you!

Maybe my hair doesn't snag hold of these toys like the "normal" head of hair? And I love playing with non-toy things in my hair!

Islandgrrl
November 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I like hairsticks, but lately they have not been doing the job for me. I'm kind of stuck on wood forks and my ficcarissimo right now, both of which I love. But I have some nice hairsticks I'd like to get back to using. I'm thinking some of the wonderful Ketylos I've acquired may have to get swapped - I think they aren't long enough anymore. Bleh.

Tangles
November 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I LOVE scrunchies--small ones don't look all that dowdy. They hold my hair better than regular elastics, and they're safer too (don't snag).

chickpea
November 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I like the look of some hairsticks, but they don't hold my hair as well as a wooden fork or ficcare clip. I have found that 2 shorter hairsticks will hold a bun better for me than one long stick.

spidermom
November 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Long before I knew there were hairsticks, I would use a pencil to hold a quickie bun in place. Hairsticks were a big improvement. I don't ever want to put another Ficarre in my hair, though. Too showy and the one I had pulled out my hair. I don't use french-style barrettes, either. I sleep with a scrunchie bun, but I rarely wear one outside of the house, maybe in the yard; that's about it.

Eden Iris
November 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Love my sticks and forks. I had a hard time believing they would stay in my hair, but they do, and get more secure as it grows. Ficcarissimos and Flexi-8s also work great and look pretty, not too gaudy or like a bird's beak.

I only wear scrunchies to bed and to exercise (at home) because I grew up in the 80s and still have some fashion trauma.

lora410
November 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
I feel this way about Octopus clips. There is just something el creepo and un-natural about them

sneakybea
November 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'll pretty much wear any kind of hair accessory, although I mostly save scrunchies for bed time. The one exception is the claw clip; for some reason, it always pokes into my scalp (not comfortable) or flop to one side or the other (not attractive). I do have one claw which has teeth that flatten out and sit side by side which doesn't do this; it's comfortable and secure, but not as pretty as my hairsticks and forks, so I don't wear it much.

lyria
November 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I agree with Lora, octopus clips freak me out. I like m jaw clips, but the octopus clips look like large spiders to me (which is not so great since i'm kind of arachnophobic).

Tangles
November 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I feel this way about Octopus clips. There is just something el creepo and un-natural about them

OMG I can't stand those. They're ugly and it seems like they TRAP YOUR HAIR!

venividibxtchy
November 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Nothing holds my hair, except two dozen bobbypins, two barrettes, or two elastic bands and luck of the draw.

I've tried hairsticks, but once I get them to stay, I can't...lie down on the couch, for instance.