PDA

View Full Version : Tried Olive oil for the first time

zashin66
March 5th, 2020, 07:53 AM
I have been feeling that my hair was too dry. I tried extra conditioning but then my hair was too tangly. I think maybe there was too much goop on my hair. I still need to use conditioners with silicon to help with that aspect. What I had been doing was using a shampoo for moisturising and then the matching conditioner and then a conditioner for sleek as a second conditioner. That was mostly working but lately I noticed that my hair would just get crunchy on the ends. The ends are getting older as my hair grows longer. I do like to wear my hair down so they haven't been as protected. So I thought I'd try Olive oil as a deep conditioning. I haven't done too much of that if at all. My hair tends to be very porous and rough. Thick and the curl is more of a rough wave. The wave has been getting curlier as I go through the hormonal changes of that time of life. My three sisters have had a similar effect to varying degrees. Mine is the least curly. I think that might be because mine is the thickest and heaviest of every one. Anyways, here is a quick picture today outside in the bright morning sun. I didn't really arrange my hair so you can see the uneven sides. And I am leaning forward slightly... I confess I was holding my arms in so the flab of my upper arms in the back would not be highlighted. :wink:

Do you think I got good results? Did it do what it should have? I'm asking those who use it regularly

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40510&d=1583418914

FennFire911
March 5th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Well it looks absolutely beautiful! How does it feel, does it feel better to you?
Olive oil is too heavy for my hair, even though I'm becoming curlier with my age. I'll go a few months doing my usual routine and eventually my ends get crunchy feeling, and then I'll realize that duh, I need to chelate every so often because I have well water.
But yea, your hair looks very shiny and soft to me. That's definitely the look I go for when I oil my ends. Perfect! :)

zashin66
March 5th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Well it definitely feels a little thicker but didn't feel coarser. I think it did get a little softer. It is still drying in the longer part at the back of my neck . If you look at the picture it is the section that looks a little darker at the lower end of the picture. It's hard to completely tell until absolutely dry. I was just wondering what changes I'm supposed to look for. I guess that's also up to interpretation for each individual. I think it did help. Last time I tried this was in summer of 2017. I tried coconut oil at that time. Didn't have much of a success then with the coconut oil. I tend to be a minimalist about most things, so I don't like long involved treatments. I have been feeling guilty though about not caring for my poor ends enough.

Dark40
March 5th, 2020, 03:25 PM
I also think it looks absolutely beautiful too! Yeah, I know the feeling of feeling guilty for not caring for those ends. Don't neglect those ends! Because, if you do over time they are going to get split or damaged, and you will have to cut off more than what you have to. I also love to wear my hair down a lot too. I also have to use conditioners with silicones in it too with my thick hair.

lapushka
March 5th, 2020, 05:00 PM
How out of it are you when you read the title and go, "for cooking"? :lol:

zashin66
March 5th, 2020, 08:34 PM

Hahahahahahaha:misskim:

zashin66
March 5th, 2020, 08:35 PM

ExpectoPatronum
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 PM
You've reminded me that my hair actually likes olive oil. I just oiled with rosehip, but I think next time I'll use olive.

Your hair looks great! So long and shiny! Does it feel soft and is it less tangly?

Chromis
March 5th, 2020, 11:53 PM

*raises hand*

Clearly it is bedtime here :lol:

Ylva
March 6th, 2020, 06:22 AM

EVOO - good for you both internally and externally! :)

zashin66
March 6th, 2020, 07:48 AM
So this morning now I love my hair. It took all day yesterday to finish drying. (I'm thinking because of the Olive oil). I will be more aware of that hidden quirk next time. This morning my hair is so soft. I. am. loving. it. No sign of the greasy-ness I was fearing. No crunchy-ness either.

Here is a picture right before I took my kids to school. My DD too the photo. I cropped it a little.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40527&d=1583505510

Even the split ends are feeling healthy this am. I did have it in a braid for sleeping so you can see some those braid waves.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40528&d=1583506259

ExpectoPatronum
March 6th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Looking good, zashin66! I love your hair color. It looks very shiny and even the ends look healthy. :thumbsup:

Ylva
March 6th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Super pretty, zashin!

Shorty89
March 6th, 2020, 12:53 PM
I'm always amazed at how many people can use olive oil on their hair with good results. It's way too heavy for me. But, so many people love it. Your hair looks gorgeous by the way.

lapushka
March 6th, 2020, 01:39 PM
*raises hand*

Clearly it is bedtime here :lol:

:hifive: Oh yeah!

zashin66
March 6th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Looking good, zashin66! I love your hair color. It looks very shiny and even the ends look healthy. :thumbsup:
Thank you ExpectoPatronum! That is very kind of you to say. The lighting was that pretty morning light.

Super pretty, zashin!
Thanks Ylva. Not quite as pure a tone as yours:o

I also think it looks absolutely beautiful too! Yeah, I know the feeling of feeling guilty for not caring for those ends. Don't neglect those ends! Because, if you do over time they are going to get split or damaged, and you will have to cut off more than what you have to. I also love to wear my hair down a lot too. I also have to use conditioners with silicones in it too with my thick hair.

Thank you so much Dark40. I think I do like it the second day after the deep conditioning. The first day I really couldn't feel much difference because a major portion underneath was still too damp to tell. The hair on top was dry and kind of fly away. The next day with everything dry and after being braided all night it felt really wonderful all day today.

zashin66
March 6th, 2020, 02:45 PM
I'm always amazed at how many people can use olive oil on their hair with good results. It's way too heavy for me. But, so many people love it. Your hair looks gorgeous by the way.

Well I can say that my hair does not like coconut oil. Thank you for your kind words.

lapushka
March 6th, 2020, 03:24 PM

Sometimes I crack myself up. LOL! :lol:

Love your pictures; the accent braids are lovely. :D

FennFire911
March 6th, 2020, 07:30 PM
So this morning now I love my hair. It took all day yesterday to finish drying. (I'm thinking because of the Olive oil). I will be more aware of that hidden quirk next time. This morning my hair is so soft. I. am. loving. it. No sign of the greasy-ness I was fearing. No crunchy-ness either.

Here is a picture right before I took my kids to school. My DD too the photo. I cropped it a little.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40527&d=1583505510

Even the split ends are feeling healthy this am. I did have it in a braid for sleeping so you can see some those braid waves.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40528&d=1583506259

Totally thud-worthy! It's beautiful. :D

ynne
March 6th, 2020, 08:46 PM
It looks so beautiful and smooth!! It's wonderful that olive oil works for you. I've read above that it doesn't like coconut oil; mine also doesn't like it, for some reason, but olive oil on wet hair seems to be OK in moderation. Still searching for the best oil & application process for the best result. :)