PDA

View Full Version : Dark40 Picture

Dark40
March 1st, 2020, 08:28 PM
This is a picture of my dark brown hair.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40465&d=1583118980

Mod Note:

Differences in hair type, thickness, physical height, body shape, posture, mobility, age, and mental acuity all play a role in the appearance of ones hair length and ability to take comparable measurements or photographs. Some of those are considered rude to inquire into.

Asking for clarification of how someone is using definitions to bring clarity to a discussion is one thing, but it becomes unKind to continue down the same path repeatedly when it becomes clear that that the conversation is not capable of going anywhere else.

I would hate to have to close yet another thread and I do not have the time to play whack-a-mole with each individual poster trying to explain the situation.

blackgothicdoll
March 2nd, 2020, 05:08 AM

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40465&d=1583118980

You've got some thick hair! Is this a recent pic I thought you had highlights for some reason.

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 06:08 AM

Neat! This must be a really old photo isn't your hair at waist now? I would love to see a new pic so I can see how it;s changed. :)

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:33 AM
Littlestarface, I love how soft and shiny your hair is :crush: Super healthy looking!

Very pretty color, Dark40!

Thank you! Hey, within a week from now I'm planning on dyeing it dark brown/black again. Because, it's been a while since I've dyed it. It's been 7 months since I've colored it. But when I dye it it's going to look black. Because the dye is called, "Dark brown/black."

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:36 AM
You've got some thick hair! Is this a recent pic I thought you had highlights for some reason.

Yes, it's very thick! Yes, this is a recent pic. No, I had darkened it last year sometime, and I've changed my mind about getting the highlights for right now. I've got some dark brown/black dye to use up in my stash. So, I'm going to use that up first then I'll think about it and see if I want to lighten it.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:38 AM
Neat! This must be a really old photo isn't your hair at waist now? I would love to see a new pic so I can see how it;s changed. :)

Thank you! No, this is a recent pic, and yes my hair waist now with the thickness it makes it look a little shorter from the shrinkage. That's just blow-dried hair but If I flat-iron it it will be at waist. :)

Ylva
March 2nd, 2020, 07:48 AM
Thank you! No, this is a recent pic, and yes my hair waist now with the thickness it makes it look a little shorter from the shrinkage. That's just blow-dried hair but If I flat-iron it it will be at waist. :)

Surely it can't... double in length from blow-drying it straight to flat ironing it? :confused: I mean, it looks very straight already in this photo. Anyway, pretty colour! Is this your natural colour or dyed?

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:49 AM
Aw you're sweet. I wish you had some pictures. I'm betting your WL hair now is amazing! :)

Aww, you're welcome. Oh, I have some pictures! I just posted 3 of them last night on my profile, and on the thread that says, "Show me your dark brown/black hair." Now, I do want to warn you even though I've just relaxed it it is still very thick, and in these photos it was just blow-dried not flat-ironed. So, you're probably going to see a little shrinkage even though I've relaxed it a week ago but if I flat-iron it....it would be at waist! :)

littlestarface
March 2nd, 2020, 07:54 AM
Aww, you're welcome. Oh, I have some pictures! I just posted 3 of them last night on my profile, and on the thread that says, "Show me your dark brown/black hair." Now, I do want to warn you even though I've just relaxed it it is still very thick, and in these photos it was just blow-dried not flat-ironed. So, you're probably going to see a little shrinkage even though I've relaxed it a week ago but if I flat-iron it....it would be at waist! :)

If hair has been relaxed then wouldn't it be stretched out?

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 08:05 AM

Huh. In this photo it looks like it's grazing APL. That's some crazy shrinkage even for a short person. Hair is so weird.

MusicalSpoons
March 2nd, 2020, 09:19 AM

Dark40 those are the best pictures we've seen of your hair; I think you should make one your avatar pic or put it in your signature.

BerrySara
March 2nd, 2020, 10:00 AM

Not necessarily. Relaxed doesn't mean pin-straight. Most of us still retain some texture.

Dark40, I agree with MusicalSpoons, your latest photos of your hair are great, they show off your length and hemline.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 10:22 AM
Surely it can't... double in length from blow-drying it straight to flat ironing it? :confused: I mean, it looks very straight already in this photo. Anyway, pretty colour! Is this your natural colour or dyed?

Yes, even though it's already straight in this photo blow-drying to flat-ironing does stretch it a little. I did not say it will double the length :whistle: Anyway, thank you! Well, it's close to my natural colour, and yes it's dyed. Because, I'm covering the grays.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 10:23 AM
Huh. In this photo it looks like it's grazing APL. That's some crazy shrinkage even for a short person. Hair is so weird.

Yeah, I know. It is crazy shrinkage. No, you can see the longest hairs are past APL. Yeah, hair is weird isn't it? With my hair type being 2c/3a even though it's relaxed I have a lot of crazy shrinkage from the thickness and curls. Because, 22 inches I measured last month is a lot longer than APL from the hairline.

littlestarface
March 2nd, 2020, 10:31 AM

It looks shoulder length to me. Your hair is darker than you say too, its like your describing someone elses hair when you talk about your hair in other posts.

Thanks everyone for compliments I apprciate them very much.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 10:49 AM
It looks shoulder length to me. Your hair is darker than you say too, its like your describing someone elses hair when you talk about your hair in other posts.

Thanks everyone for compliments I apprciate them very much.

No, it is dark brown/black dyed, and no I am not describing someone else hair. This is my own hair. The color looks darker because of the lighting from my mother's camera, and my hair length cannot be shoulder length with my measurements being at 22 inches long. So, explain that.

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 11:01 AM
No, it is dark brown/black dyed, and no I am not describing someone else hair. This is my own hair. The color looks darker because of the lighting from my mother's camera, and my hair length cannot be shoulder length with my measurements being at 22 inches long. So, explain that.

I agree with littlestarface. I have an explanation for what is going on here but I'm not sure how to state it.

Aerya
March 2nd, 2020, 11:13 AM
You guuuuys... I get what you're coming at but can we leave it, please? :flower:

Lovely hair, everyone. Your deep colours make me want to dye my hair so badly! Too bad my hair refuses to hold dye.

Littlestarface, your hair looks SO SOFT! And the change in colour in different lighting is so cool.

BerrySara
March 2nd, 2020, 11:18 AM
You guuuuys... I get what you're coming at but can we leave it, please? :flower:

Seriously :brickwall It's like a broken record. :brainbleach:
Does it affect you in any way? No? Maybe just walk on by then.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 11:50 AM

Lovely hair, everyone. Your deep colours make me want to dye my hair so badly! Too bad my hair refuses to hold dye.

Littlestarface, your hair looks SO SOFT! And the change in colour in different lighting is so cool.

Thank you seriously! Awww, that's a shame that your hair refuses to hold dye. :flower:

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 11:55 AM

Yes, it would be!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 11:57 AM
Dark40 those are the best pictures we've seen of your hair; I think you should make one your avatar pic or put it in your signature.

MusicalSpoons Awww, thank you! You are so sweet. Yes, I think I will make it one of my avatar pic or put it in my signature.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 12:02 PM
Not necessarily. Relaxed doesn't mean pin-straight. Most of us still retain some texture.

Dark40, I agree with MusicalSpoons, your latest photos of your hair are great, they show off your length and hemline.

Thank you BerrySara for explaining that to her. Relaxers do stretch the hair sometimes depending on how long you leave it in but if you're "Texlaxing," it doesn't stretch the length at all. You still have some texture.

Thank you for the advice. I agree with MusicalSpoons too! Awwww, thank you sweetie. Yes, those photos do show off my length and hemline. I am so excited that I've come this far with length and growth! This is the longest it has ever been!

Aerya
March 2nd, 2020, 12:06 PM
Seriously :brickwall It's like a broken record. :brainbleach:
Does it affect you in any way? No? Maybe just walk on by then.

Edit: oh I TOTALLY misunderstood this, lol! Sorry! I blame the glass of wine I've had.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 12:24 PM
I agree with littlestarface. I have an explanation for what is going on here but I'm not sure how to state it.

Well i'm sorry. I don't agree with either of you. My hair is wayyyyyyyyyyy much longer than shoulder length. I don't know or understand what's going on here either but the both of you have forgotten where shoulder length falls to. I'm gonna show you or remind you of an example of what shoulder length hair is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shoulder+length+hair&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrkePCwPznAhWCY98KHfHQDF0QsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1422&bih=688&dpr=1.13#imgrc=SOHvP6bV0kfSTM

Now you tell me.....my hair does not fall in this category or length. My hair is wayyyy much longer than shoulder or APL length.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 12:30 PM
littlestarface and jane_marie? Who cares about what length it is in this thread? We are not talking about length in this thread. We are talking about hair color.

The-Young-Maid
March 2nd, 2020, 01:06 PM
Okay but do you know where waist length is?

The-Young-Maid
March 2nd, 2020, 01:20 PM
6 days ago I have retained a lot of length! I've grown 6 inches in 6 months! And, I'm now 2 or 3 inches brushing hip length! Yay!!! :D

I'm just gonna leave this here.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2020, 01:42 PM
It's about time we see a picture of your hair! :)

Awesome! No matter what length! ;)

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 01:42 PM
Okay but do you know where waist length is?

Would you say my hair is at waist (sig pic) I thought it was but now I'm questioning it.

Edit - Someone said my hair is only at BSL which is why I ask. I always feel like it's BSL so now I'm curious if I am seeing the photos incorrectly. :neutral:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2020, 01:46 PM
Would you say my hair is at waist (sig pic) I thought it was but now I'm questioning it.

Yup, you're sitting on waist! :D

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 01:48 PM
Yup, you're sitting on waist! :D

Oh thank you! I was feeling self conscious.

Ylva
March 2nd, 2020, 01:48 PM

It looks about mid-thigh to me.

Ah well. I do think that colour is nice, and your thickness is neat, Dark40.

The-Young-Maid
March 2nd, 2020, 01:51 PM

Edit - Someone said my hair is only at BSL which is why I ask. I always feel like it's BSL so now I'm curious if I am seeing the photos incorrectly. :neutral:

Nah your hair is definitely waist. It's right at the smallest part of your torso. I think once it gets to the bottom of that white belt it'll feel like waist. If I remember correctly you are growing out layers?

lapushka
March 2nd, 2020, 01:56 PM

I am looking at your signature picture. That's waist, jane_marie. :thumbsup: :D

jane_marie
March 2nd, 2020, 02:00 PM
Nah your hair is definitely waist. It's right at the smallest part of your torso. I think once it gets to the bottom of that white belt it'll feel like waist. If I remember correctly you are growing out layers?

Yeah I'm growing out some crazy David Bowie in the Labyrinth style layers. It was feeling like waist then I cut off some damage.

haha Well, actually I'm at calf it just doesn't look like it because of a temporal distortion; Give it twenty years you'll see. :P

Thanks for responding I was told it's BSL which is a literal nightmare I have been having.

Gwyned
March 2nd, 2020, 02:12 PM
You have some growth there! I can tell from the last time I saw your hair. Keep doing whatever you're doing, girl!

MusicalSpoons
March 2nd, 2020, 02:17 PM
MusicalSpoons Awww, thank you! You are so sweet. Yes, I think I will make it one of my avatar pic or put it in my signature.

Please do, it's always useful to see people's hair when they post to give an idea of where they're coming from, especially when they post experiences about different products, routines, styles, etc. I am glad we've seen an accurate picture of your hair from the back instead of trying to work out from your posts what it looks like! :)

Nope, not at all! If it was a non-LHC person I'd take any length observations with a pinch of salt because generally people don't know where their own body markers are, let alone someone else's. Someone once saw my hair down at around mid-thigh and said to me 'ooh, you'll soon be able to sit on it!' :rollin:

haha Well, actually I'm at calf it just doesn't look like it because of a temporal distortion; Give it twenty years you'll see. :P

:spitting:

lapushka
March 2nd, 2020, 02:19 PM

Thanks for responding I was told it's BSL which is a literal nightmare I have been having.

:lol: ;)

Don't feel so bad about it. I'm sure we can see things accurately. :thumbsup:

pisinoe
March 2nd, 2020, 02:25 PM

:popcorn:

Agreed!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 03:00 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Yes, I know where waist length hair is. Waist length hair on people with different heights on the body is different. I'm very short 4'11" or 5', and I've just done research on google on how many inches it is, and my measurement is 22 inches, and waist length measurement is 23-4 inches. So, I'm an inch off but I can grow that inch in a month or 2.

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 03:04 PM
Maybe my hair in the photo doesn't look like it's at WL because of how I was standing and the way I was holding my head?

The-Young-Maid
March 2nd, 2020, 03:08 PM
Maybe my hair in the photo doesn't look like it's at WL because of how I was standing and the way I was holding my head?

That could definitely be why. Lots of curly girls hold a small section down in the back for a more accurate measurement. Do you think you could try that in your next picture, Dark40?

MusicalSpoons
March 2nd, 2020, 03:12 PM

That could definitely be why. Lots of curly girls hold a small section down in the back for a more accurate measurement. Do you think you could try that in your next picture, Dark40?

I disagree. You'd have to pretty much be looking at the floor to have that kind of discrepancy.

AmaryllisRed
March 2nd, 2020, 03:31 PM
It does look about 22" to me.

hayheadsbird
March 2nd, 2020, 03:41 PM

I'd agree, measuring from front hairline I'd be about the same body marker at 22 inches. Waist on me is about 30 inches, and I'm 4' 11.
24 inches would be about bsl for me.

Fab photo Dark40, you should def make it your avatar or sig pic.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2020, 03:44 PM
I definitely agree you should put the picture in your signature or avatar, Dark! You've got nice, good quality thick hair, and it really does not matter what length it finally is. :flower: Not to me, in any case. ;)

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 03:48 PM

Ok, I didn't know that curly girls do that for more accurate measurement...yes, I can try that in my next picture, dear!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 03:51 PM
I'd agree, measuring from front hairline I'd be about the same body marker at 22 inches. Waist on me is about 30 inches, and I'm 4' 11.
24 inches would be about bsl for me.

Fab photo Dark40, you should def make it your avatar or sig pic.

Thank you, hayheadbird! Yes, I will make it my avatar or sig pic. Thanks for the advice on doing it. :)

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 03:53 PM
I definitely agree you should put the picture in your signature or avatar, Dark! You've got nice, good quality thick hair, and it really does not matter what length it finally is. :flower: Not to me, in any case. ;)

Thank you lapushka, Yes, I will take that advice and put the picture in my signature or avatar. Thank you on having nice, good quality thick hair, and no it does not matter what length it finally is. :flower Awww, you're so sweet. ;)

bokeh
March 2nd, 2020, 04:36 PM
Dark40, your hair is unique and lovely! What is your favorite updo?

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 05:38 PM
bokeh, thank you! My favorite updo is the chignon and the cinnabun, and I also love ponytails too! Especially, when you wear them to the side of your head. What are your favorite updos?

Ligeia Noire
March 2nd, 2020, 05:55 PM
Looking great Dark! I am still harvesting the wish that you will share a picture of your natural curls. Even if by private message. Looking at your texture I bet they are awesome!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 06:11 PM
Thank you, Ligeia! Yes, I bet you are still harvesting that you wish i would share a picture of my natural curls in a private message. I don't have no problem doing that. One day I'll freshly wash my hair and don't blow dry straight. Because, when I let my hair air dry naturally that's when I get my natural curls. :) Yes, it is awesome!

Ligeia Noire
March 2nd, 2020, 06:13 PM
Thank you, Ligeia! Yes, I bet you are still harvesting that you wish i would share a picture of my natural curls in a private message. I don't have no problem doing that. One day I'll freshly wash my hair and don't blow dry straight. Because, when I let my hair air dry naturally that's when I get my natural curls. :) Yes, it is awesome!

ahah yay!
Remember me when you do that.
Keep up the good work ;)

Entangled
March 2nd, 2020, 06:50 PM
It’s so neat to see your lovely hair! It seems pretty thick, as other posters have said, and it’s helpful to have a clear picture of what you’re working with. Happy growing!

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:37 PM
ahah yay!
Remember me when you do that.
Keep up the good work ;)

ahah yay!
Ok, I'll remember you when I do that.
Ok, I will :D

Dark40
March 2nd, 2020, 07:39 PM
It’s so neat to see your lovely hair! It seems pretty thick, as other posters have said, and it’s helpful to have a clear picture of what you’re working with. Happy growing!

Thank you so much! Yes, it is very thick. I'm glad I've learned now how to post pictures on here. :)
Thank you! Happy growing!

littlestarface
March 2nd, 2020, 10:03 PM

Thank you aerya! :cloud9:

These posts are nuts except that one ^ lol i'm just gonna scratch my head and stand by my comment I made earlier.

YvetteVarie
March 2nd, 2020, 11:27 PM
Dark40 your thickness is great. It seems as if your hair takes to relaxers pretty well.

Ylva
March 3rd, 2020, 01:48 AM
The new photo looks good as your avatar!

Kalamazoo
March 3rd, 2020, 05:40 AM
That's a good-looking head of hair there, Dark40!

Vacurlylady
March 3rd, 2020, 08:09 AM
Your hair looks beautiful Dark40! It is VERY thick! I know how you feel about finally learning how to post pictures. I’m glad your mom was able to be your photographer. Hope you have a great day! 🥰

lapushka
March 3rd, 2020, 08:22 AM
Hey Dark, I just had an idea. That is, if you're fine with it. No sense doing it if you don't want to!

You can have your natural texture in your signature. And then the straight one in the avatar. Just thought that would be a nice "mix up" of textures. But you have to do what you want, in the end, if it's not comfortable for you to share, then please don't. :flower:

FennFire911
March 3rd, 2020, 09:03 AM
Hey Dark, I just had an idea. That is, if you're fine with it. No sense doing it if you don't want to!

You can have your natural texture in your signature. And then the straight one in the avatar. Just thought that would be a nice "mix up" of textures. But you have to do what you want, in the end, if it's not comfortable for you to share, then please don't. :flower:

I for one think this is a great idea, Lapuska.

Very nice thickness and texture, Dark40! :)

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 09:55 AM
Dark40 your thickness is great. It seems as if your hair takes to relaxers pretty well.

Thank you! Oh yes, my hair has always taken to relaxers pretty well, and I've decided to stretch my relaxers out to every 6 months. Instead of doing them every 3 or 4 months. 6 months works best for me. Because, I retain a lot of length. Plus, it will be less chemicals I'm using....because I also dye my hair as well.

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 10:00 AM

Hey Lapushka, Yes, I think that's a great idea. Thanks for thinking of it! I would love to share my natural hair texture in my signature, and also share the straight one in the avatar. :flower:

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 10:01 AM
I for one think this is a great idea, Lapuska.

Very nice thickness and texture, Dark40! :)

Thank you FennFire911! :) Yes, it's always been very thick for many years. Even as long as I've relaxing it.

bokeh
March 3rd, 2020, 11:08 AM
bokeh, thank you! My favorite updo is the chignon and the cinnabun, and I also love ponytails too! Especially, when you wear them to the side of your head. What are your favorite updos?
I just learned to do the Nautilus and I think it’s going to be a favorite! I also love the Lazy Wrap Bun. Oh, and all kinds of braids!
I love your new avatar picture. I will soon get up the nerve to post some photos myself. It’s the least I can do after enjoying (and learning from) all the photos posted by other people.

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 12:09 PM
The new photo looks good as your avatar!

Thank you!

Kalamazoo, awwww, thank you! You are so sweet!

Vacurlylady, Yes I know! My hair has always been this thick for many years. Even as I chemically-treat my hair. Yes, I'm so glad after being a member here for so many years I finally learned how to post pictures! Yes, I'm also glad that my mom is around to be the photographer too. Ok, hope you have a great day too! :flower:

Wendyclaire
March 3rd, 2020, 12:31 PM
Maybe it’s the picture or that you’re leaning forward but your length is barely to your shoulder blades so it looks like you’d have to have at least 4 to six inches of growth to be waist.

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 12:31 PM
I just learned to do the Nautilus and I think it’s going to be a favorite! I also love the Lazy Wrap Bun. Oh, and all kinds of braids!
I love your new avatar picture. I will soon get up the nerve to post some photos myself. It’s the least I can do after enjoying (and learning from) all the photos posted by other people.

Ok, cool! I've been hearing a lot about Nautilus on here and the Lazy Wrap Buns too! Awww, that's sweet that the Nautilus is going to be your favorite! I was wondering if I had enough hair to do it?! :Lshrug: Oh, I also love all kinds of braids too! Awwww, thank you about my new avatar picture. Yeah, I know the feeling of getting up enough nerve to post photos. I had to get up enough nerve to post these. Everybody has been telling me it's been a year since I've posted one. So, I needed to update my photos. Over the years from seeing other people's photos I have learned a lot too, and their photos of their hair is amazing!

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 12:35 PM
Wendyclaire, It's 22 inches long. So, for my height which is 4'11 or 5'...that is very close to waist or it is at waist on me. I agree with you that it must be because I'm leaning forward, and that is what causing my hair to look shorter than waist.

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 12:57 PM
Maybe it’s the picture or that you’re leaning forward but your length is barely to your shoulder blades so it looks like you’d have to have at least 4 to six inches of growth to be waist.

Yes, I agree with you that it could be the picture or that I was leaning forward. Well, I've measured my hair from the hairline, and it is 22 inches long. I'm very short which is 4'11" or 5" tall, and that is close to waist or it is at waist on me. In order for your hair to reach it has to at least be 23 inches.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2020, 01:55 PM
Hey Lapushka, Yes, I think that's a great idea. Thanks for thinking of it! I would love to share my natural hair texture in my signature, and also share the straight one in the avatar. :flower:

Awesome! :D

lapushka
March 3rd, 2020, 01:56 PM
Yes, I agree with you that it could be the picture or that I was leaning forward. Well, I've measured my hair from the hairline, and it is 22 inches long. I'm very short which is 4'11" or 5" tall, and that is close to waist or it is at waist on me. In order for your hair to reach it has to at least be 23 inches.

Yes now that I see that; you are leaning forward *quite a bit*!

Garnetgem
March 3rd, 2020, 02:20 PM
Liking your avatar photo,you have such thick hair its lovely! :)

BerrySara
March 3rd, 2020, 02:37 PM
Dark40 regardless of body position or body markers, as so many have mentioned, your hair is lovely and thick! And for you to enjoy!
I see you added your photo to your avatar, it looks great :)

Its good you have a measurement of your hair. That's really all you need to track progress if you choose so.

Dark40
March 3rd, 2020, 05:41 PM
Garnetgem, Thank you! :)

BerrySara, Yes, you are very right. Thank you! Yes, that is very right! For me to enjoy! Yes, I did add it to my avatar, thank you :)

Yes, I've started measuring my hair a couple of weeks ago. Yes, again you are right. That's all I need to track progress if I choose so.

desisparkles
March 4th, 2020, 01:08 AM
Dark40, I admire your positivity and grace. I’m a pop off kinda gal and strive to be more calm and composed when I feel confronted but it doesn’t come naturally for me. I’m taking tips from you :)

Great progress on your growing!

amiraaah
March 4th, 2020, 08:18 AM
I’m sorry but i have a hard time believing what’s going on here! Your hair does look thick and beautiful dark and that’s awesome but the posts here make me feel like i have something wrong with my sight. Everybody is saying Your hair is beautiful (it is) “regardless of the length” as if we are the ones hating on short hair. Think about it the other way nobody thinks short hair is bad dark is the one who seems to look down on Short hair to the point of claiming that her hair length is waist when it’s just at APL. everyone should think whatever they want about their hair but for us to back this up is not good and this is just my opinion. My hair is 2c/3a as well. it’s just impossible that such hair would have that amount of shrinkage to begin with let alone after being blowdried. .

Ylva
March 4th, 2020, 09:19 AM
I’m sorry but i have a hard time believing what’s going on here! Your hair does look thick and beautiful dark and that’s awesome but the posts here make me feel like i have something wrong with my sight. Everybody is saying Your hair is beautiful (it is) “regardless of the length” as if we are the ones hating on short hair. Think about it the other way nobody thinks short hair is bad dark is the one who seems to look down on Short hair to the point of claiming that her hair length is waist when it’s just at APL. everyone should think whatever they want about their hair but for us to back this up is not good and this is just my opinion. My hair is 2c/3a as well. it’s just impossible that such hair would have that amount of shrinkage to begin with let alone after being blowdried. .

Wise words, amiraaah. I think, if it was anyone else, it would be totally different. If I suddenly claimed my hair was mid-thigh length but it looked BCL in my photos, I'm sure people would call out my BS, for a totally valid reason.

I get the thing about looking down but still, it's BSL at longest.

Ligeia Noire
March 4th, 2020, 10:14 AM
It certainly does not look waist at all. Not going to be hypocritical about is but it looks the longest I have ever seen Dark's hair and it looks great. I would love to see it all curly because it does look curlier than 2c/3a but what does she care if I think it looks shoulder or my classifications...
I certainly know my 2c shrinks a couple of inches but I don't know how much a 3/4 would shrink.
No experience. Not going to scrutinize to the bone. Whatever floats one's boat.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 10:29 AM

I appreciate your comment on my hair but look, from my number measurements I get 22 inches long, and I've already done my research on how long waist is on google, and it says on most women it is 23-4 inches long, and I am very close to it. Haven't you seen my earlier post in here on the research I've done on it? I am not hating or downing Short hair but my hair is not APL. Because, the number measurements I get are much longer than APL.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 10:42 AM

Thank you for saying that! Because, those are the accurate measurements I get, and I've learned that waist is close to that.

Ylva
March 4th, 2020, 10:51 AM
I appreciate your comment on my hair but look, from my number measurements I get 22 inches long, and I've already done my research on how long waist is on google, and it says on most women it is 23-4 inches long, and I am very close to it. Haven't you seen my earlier post in here on the research I've done on it? I am not hating or downing Short hair but my hair is not APL. Because, the number measurements I get are much longer than APL.

They are probably not measuring the LHC way which is starting from the front hairline and over the head. You have to see where waist is ON YOURSELF. Google can't tell you that.

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Ahhhh!

I think I've figured it out! Google might say average length of waist is 23-24 inches, but I doubt that's from FRONT hairline. I'm 4'11 as well, and from front hairline to waist I'm almost 30 inches. Waist as a body marker for hair is the natural waist, so that bit that dips in between where you ribs end and hip bones start. Everyone's body is different, so YOUR measurement is unlikely to be the Google average, even from the hairline at the nape of your neck.
If you're measuring from front hairline and getting 22 inches, that's closer to APL length on our petite body's.

If you want to find your goal length for waist, try trying a scarf round your natural waist, then run the tape measure from front hairline over your head and down your back to see how many inches till tape measure meets the scarf. That will be the waist length goal for you.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Wise words, amiraaah. I think, if it was anyone else, it would be totally different. If I suddenly claimed my hair was mid-thigh length but it looked BCL in my photos, I'm sure people would call out my BS, for a totally valid reason.

I get the thing about looking down but still, it's BSL at longest.

Yes indeed, generally this is a haven for truth and fact about hair but if someone is absolutely adamant that the truth is far removed from what very clearly appears to be the reality and won't be swayed even by visual proof, it's easier and much less stressful for all just to let them be and let their hair speak for itself :meditate:

I appreciate your comment on my hair but look, from my number measurements I get 22 inches long, and I've already done my research on how long waist is on google, and it says on most women it is 23-4 inches long, and I am very close to it. I am not hating or downing Short hair but my hair is not APL. Because, the number measurements I get are much longer than APL.

I Googled 'how long is waist length hair?' and it turns out the results around 22 inches were for extensions, not measuring the LHC way. One generic graph put 32 inches as classic length!! :rollin: But the thread here for classic length showed most people - short, tall and medium, interestingly - measure it at around 40-42" inches, so those kinds of results from a Google search are clearly not reliable.
But we've also had a whole thread about how long waist length is for us measuring the LHC way, anyway :)

It certainly does not look waist at all. Not going to be hypocritical about is but it looks the longest I have ever seen Dark's hair and it looks great. I would love to see it all curly because it does look curlier than 2c/3a but what does she care if I think it looks shoulder or my classifications...
I certainly know my 2c shrinks a couple of inches but I don't know how much a 3/4 would shrink.
No experience. Not going to scrutinize to the bone. Whatever floats one's boat.

I wanted to end on a positive so yep, I agree. Not that I've been here very long, but still - and like I said before, it is good to actually see it rather than trying to visualise from what's written in Dark40's posts :)

EDIT: Hayheadsbird you posted while I was still typing, so can I just say I am So Happy you chimed in as someone the same height as Dark40 claims to be :cheer: :happydance: Finally, indisputable and reliable measurements!
(Incidentally at 5'6" 22 inches is also about APL on me too)

Edit 2: Nope, I was wrong about the graph, it put 30 inches as classic length. The only explanation I can think of is maybe they're measuring from the nape? But that doesn't explain the 8 inches :bigeyes: Weird, weird, weird *shakes head in disbelief*
Here it is https://allaboutwigsandweaves.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hair-length-chart.gif Just totally bonkers :confused:

jane_marie
March 4th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I had to take a break from this thread but I'm feeling a bit more level headed so I'd like to chime in with an additional consideration.

I am short but at 5'3" I am not as short as Dark40. I also carry a bit of extra weight and have a bump from a surgery scar on the back of my neck. Before my last trim my hair was the longest it had ever been in inches but it didn't hit my hip the way it used to when I was a size 2 pre-surgery.

Height is not the only thing that affects how our hair falls on the body. The curvatures of our bodies also make a difference. Any one at waist with an even hemline and a bit of a bust can likely agree that the hair that lays over their bust doesn't hit quite as low as what it looks like from the back. Similarly, I have seen people on here with classic + hair say that their bum can reduce length. So, even if x amount of inches is the standard for y height and z body marker it isn't as simple as all that it depends on how your body is actually shaped.

Natalie Portman and Rebel Wilson are also both 5'3". One of them is much thinner than me and one significantly larger. Because of the change in curvature due to weight distribution my hair would hit very different places on the three of us.

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 11:50 AM
Some hair length charts:

https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths.htm

https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/hair-style/long-hairstyles/hair-length-chart.aspx

https://www.aprillacewigs.com/content/14-hair-length

https://hardmashonatype.blogspot.com/2014/04/demystifying-african-hair-hair-growth.html?m=1

Here's an interesting one! It says "Hip Length" is where the other charts say "Waist Length" is, and what they call "Mid-Thigh" looks like "Classic" to me:

http://fromwacktomidback.blogspot.com/2011/07/hair-length-chart-to-refresh-my-memory.html?m=1

Maybe that's because their target audience might be super-curly-haired folks whose hair has a lot of stretch.

Personally, on me, what I consider Waist Length, coming to the narrowest part of my middle when stretched, is 28".

But my favorite chart? It's these tee-shirts! According to them, my hair's longer than Rapunzel's!

https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop/design/hair+length+chart+womens+t-shirt-D5d8a25682051762642357d8f?sellable=lzd0wMdDXnh0NGk ZZXla-347-8&affiliateid=9441&msclkid=8000c2003ed81e81097e9c5d5fac618c

Isn't it the LHC tradition to let everyone call their length whatever they want? Since the above charts don't agree with each other, do we have a leg to stand on when we're disagreeing with Dark40 over what length she chooses to call her hair?

jane_marie
March 4th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Since the above charts don't agree with each other, do we have a leg to stand on when we're disagreeing with Dark40 over what length she chooses to call her hair?

That's like saying that everyone perceives color a little differently so a person that is claiming the mid day sky is orange most of the time can't be incorrect.

Ylva
March 4th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Isn't it the LHC tradition to let everyone call their length whatever they want? Since the above charts don't agree with each other, do we have a leg to stand on when we're disagreeing with Dark40 over what length she chooses to call her hair?

The location of the waist is hardly debatable, and it would make sense for everyone here to use the same definitions even though you could come up with your own milestones in between them. However, it's very confusing to be calling shoulder length 'classic' all of a sudden.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 12:08 PM
I would think that the length claimed would have to have at least some approximation to reality? Otherwise communication wouldn't achieve its purpose, having agreed meanings of the words used, and the accurate sharing of information.

That's why when my sister told someone that my hair was at waist length I corrected her, because it wasn't at waist, it was at BSL at the time, and that is quite a few inches difference. If anyone could just claim what they wanted, we could all claim floor length hair and nobody could disagree....

The-Young-Maid
March 4th, 2020, 12:09 PM
When you're on LHC you use LHC measurements.

Ylva
March 4th, 2020, 12:13 PM
If anyone could just claim what they wanted, we could all claim floor length hair and nobody could disagree....

I would like to propose the FLOB length - floor length when lying on the back.

Highly versatile and up for grabs!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Generally, yes, otherwise there's no "set" basis to work from so we can have a shared understanding of measurements. Either that or just use body markers, waist, knee etc. and don't worry about the numbers (but do make sure you know where your waist and knees are :p)

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Generally, yes, otherwise there's no "set" basis to work from so we can have a shared understanding of measurements. Either that or just use body markers, waist, knee etc. and don't worry about the numbers (but do make sure you know where your waist and knees are :p)

Totally this. For any meaningful or useful discussion to take place, there has to be a shared understanding the terms used.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 12:20 PM
I had to take a break from this thread but I'm feeling a bit more level headed so I'd like to chime in with an additional consideration.

I am short but at 5'3" I am not as short as Dark40. I also carry a bit of extra weight and have a bump from a surgery scar on the back of my neck. Before my last trim my hair was the longest it had ever been in inches but it didn't hit my hip the way it used to when I was a size 2 pre-surgery.

Height is not the only thing that affects how our hair falls on the body. The curvatures of our bodies also make a difference. Any one at waist with an even hemline and a bit of a bust can likely agree that the hair that lays over their bust doesn't hit quite as low as what it looks like from the back. Similarly, I have seen people on here with classic + hair say that their bum can reduce length. So, even if x amount of inches is the standard for y height and z body marker it isn't as simple as all that it depends on how your body is actually shaped.

Natalie Portman and Rebel Wilson are also both 5'3". One of them is much thinner than me and one significantly larger. Because of the change in curvature due to weight distribution my hair would hit very different places on the three of us.

Indeed. And on a larger person, the same measurement of hair will look shorter than on a smaller person of the same height. So saying 'my hair is the right length (measurement) for this milestone, it just doesn't look it due to body shape' is the same as a tall person saying 'my hair length (measurement) reaches the floor on a shorter person, so I'm calling it floor-length even though it's only calf on me' :rolling:

Well said, The-Young-Maid! :applause: also on LHC we go by visual milestones not how long it *would* be on a different body :D

That said, I stand by my stance of just leaving a person to it if all efforts to explain the truth fail :shrug:

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 12:21 PM

oh my! :spitting: :rollin: :applause

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 12:24 PM
Indeed. And on a larger person, the same measurement of hair will look shorter than on a smaller person of the same height. So saying 'my hair is the right length (measurement) for this milestone, it just doesn't look it due to body shape' is the same as a tall person saying 'my hair length (measurement) reaches the floor on a shorter person, so I'm calling it floor-length even though it's only calf on me' :rolling:

Well said, The-Young-Maid! :applause: also on LHC we go by visual milestones not how long it *would* be on a different body :D

That said, I stand by my stance of just leaving a person to it if all efforts to explain the truth fail :shrug:

I confess that I have had the thought that if I were a shorter person my hair would be floor length already :p If wishes were horses then the poor man would ride....

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2020, 12:24 PM
EDIT: Hayheadsbird you posted while I was still typing, so can I just say I am So Happy you chimed in as someone the same height as Dark40 claims to be :cheer: :happydance: Finally, indisputable and reliable measurements!
(Incidentally at 5'6" 22 inches is also about APL on me too)

Edit 2: Nope, I was wrong about the graph, it put 30 inches as classic length. The only explanation I can think of is maybe they're measuring from the nape? But that doesn't explain the 8 inches :bigeyes: Weird, weird, weird *shakes head in disbelief*
Here it is https://allaboutwigsandweaves.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hair-length-chart.gif Just totally bonkers :confused:

Think they might be measuring from the crown?
Classic for me is 40 inches...

jane_marie
March 4th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Like I said earlier in the thread: My hair is actually calf you just can't see it right now because of temporal distortion. :shrug:

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 12:39 PM
OK, I recall that the LHC hair measurement method is to place the end of the tape measure at the point of the widow's peak or the edge of the hairline front & center if there be no peak, & then over the top of the head & straight down the middle of one's back.

But do we have a standard hair length chart?

Kake
March 4th, 2020, 12:41 PM

That said, I stand by my stance of just leaving a person to if if all efforts to explain the truth fail :shrug:

I totally agree with this. This conversation is an uncomfortable read.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 12:42 PM
OK, I recall that the LHC hair measurement method is to place the end of the tape measure at the point of the widow's peak or the edge of the hairline front & center if there be no peak, & then over the top of the head & straight down the middle of one's back.

I don't think we do, and I don't see how we can because everyone's bodies are so different. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, though!

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2020, 12:59 PM
We could make a chart showing body markers though, actual length would be individual

neko_kawaii
March 4th, 2020, 01:08 PM
I don't think we do, and I don't see how we can because everyone's bodies are so different. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, though!

Correct. There is no chart of specific measurements and which body markers they belong to because bodies are so different.

After some searching, I found that the LHC method for hair measurement was in the articles section (which was lost a few years ago in a server crash). Here it is via the Internet Archive. https://web.archive.org/web/20080316003602/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=9

I'm guessing that a body marker chart was probably in the articles also. Those would be nice things to have as a new thread or article and to link to from the ever useful site announcement. I'm struggling with a recalcitrant jacket pattern, if anyone wants to tackle that.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 01:09 PM
We could make a chart showing body markers though, actual length would be individual

There are plenty of charts online already if you wanted to use one of those.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 01:18 PM

This one that Kalamazoo posted seems to be fairly in line with what's commonly accepted here https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths.htm One just has to adjust for individual proportions, e.g. a higher waist, lower hips, or a larger bottom, etc.

neko_kawaii
March 4th, 2020, 01:30 PM
I hate this jacket.

Aren't there threads that describe how to identify markers on different figures? I know tailbone is often contentious, and where exactly hip is has been discussed ad naussium. It would be nice to collect all that information together (again, presumably it was in the articles before).

C_Bookworm
March 4th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I confess that I have had the thought that if I were a shorter person my hair would be floor length already :p If wishes were horses then the poor man would ride....

I often wonder this is reverse. I had knee length hair when I was a child and my parents marked my height on the wall every 6 months so I even have my exact height (53 inches)...but I’m not sure what current body marker that would translate to! Less than knee, certainly.

I think maybe a simple proportion problem might do the trick...but the whole measuring from hairline thing makes me nervous, since 53 inches is height only, not the actual hair length measurement. :shrug:

Has anyone else tackled a similar problem?

Ligeia Noire
March 4th, 2020, 02:23 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/22/8f/1e/228f1ef387c505c64039f262ddbc1de4.jpg

Something like this perhaps? Because it shows body markers and not where a certain numerical amount of centimetres should fall on a body...
However, while bodies vary, I am of the opinion of starting at the hairline, it does not make sense, to me, to start anywhere else for standard accuracy... what one does individually is up to them though.

Servana
March 4th, 2020, 02:28 PM
I've hesitated to reply to this thread because I don't want to sound mean but yeah that's definitely nowhere near waist. And I get that curly hair can be a lot longer when stretched, but we're looking at the hair straightened so I doubt that it's going to stretch that far.

As for the numbers, you can't just decide that because your hair is XYZ inches that means it's at knee for example, when visually it's only at your butt. It defies logic. I also think even being short 22 inches is extremely short for waist. I am 5'1/5'2 and waist is 29 inches on me.

Anyway, my signature pic is of me with hair just brushing waist length. Your hair is at waist when it hits the narrowest part of your back. Another good way to check is if it reaches or passed your elbows. I'd say that one works on most (although not all) people.

Kind of beating a dead horse but just wanted to add my comment with the pic for reference.

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 02:34 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/22/8f/1e/228f1ef387c505c64039f262ddbc1de4.jpg

Something like this perhaps? Because it shows body markers and not where a certain numerical amount of centimetres should fall on a body...
However, while bodies vary, I am of the opinion of starting at the hairline, it does not make sense, to me, to start anywhere else for standard accuracy... what one does individually is up to them though.

I like that chart. I think it agrees pretty well with the verbal descriptions of hair lengths that we already have at https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874

ETA: To be fair to our curly friends, I think we need to emphasize that these measurements are made on stretched hair, but that you don't have to flat-iron nor chemically straighten your hair to get the measurement ~ just tug your longest strand and hold it while the camera shutter snaps.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 02:49 PM
^ that chart to me looks like APL, BSL, TBL and classic are all too high.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 02:59 PM
I've hesitated to reply to this thread because I don't want to sound mean but yeah that's definitely nowhere near waist. And I get that curly hair can be a lot longer when stretched, but we're looking at the hair straightened so I doubt that it's going to stretch that far.

As for the numbers, you can't just decide that because your hair is XYZ inches that means it's at knee for example, when visually it's only at your butt. It defies logic. I also think even being short 22 inches is extremely short for waist. I am 5'1/5'2 and waist is 29 inches on me.

Anyway, my signature pic is of me with hair just brushing waist length. Your hair is at waist when it hits the narrowest part of your back.

Kind of beating a dead horse but just wanted to add my comment with the pic for reference.

Look, let me tell you something, and I hesitated to comment back you but I'm gonna say this. 22 inches for waist length on a person that stands 4'11" isn't extremely short. BTW, it depends on the person's body shape and size. Waist length doesn't fall on everybody when it hits the narrowest part of your back. That is not the case. Waist length can falls 2 or 3 inches from BSL in the back area depending on the person's height. But when I'm off camera my body mark for my hair measurement is at waist on me. Now, since you're a couple of inches taller than me your measurements are going to be different from mine.

lapushka
March 4th, 2020, 03:02 PM

When lying on the bed? Depends on whether you have a high bed or low bed. I have a hospital bed, that is quite high up off the ground. It would take a long time for me. :lol: ;) :p

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 03:04 PM

Maybe https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths.htm is a better chart?

lapushka
March 4th, 2020, 03:07 PM
Look, let me tell you something, and I hesitated to comment back you but I'm gonna say this. 22 inches for waist length on a person that stands 4'11" isn't extremely short. BTW, it depends on the person's body shape and size. Waist length doesn't fall on everybody when it hits the narrowest part of your back. That is not the case. Waist length can falls 2 or 3 inches from BSL in the back area depending on the person's height.

Say what? :) No. Let me clear up a bit of a misunderstanding here. Waist is the smallest of the back and it comes *after* BSL. Typically waist is: you would not wear your bra that low. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Look, let me tell you something, and I hesitated to comment back you but I'm gonna say this. 22 inches for waist length on a person that stands 4'11" isn't extremely short. BTW, it depends on the person's body shape and size. Waist length doesn't fall on everybody when it hits the narrowest part of your back. That is not the case. Waist length can falls 2 or 3 inches from BSL in the back area depending on the person's height.

Dark40, how do you define where waist length is?

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Dark40, how do you define where waist length is?

I define waist length being at your ribcage or under your boobs.

Suortuva
March 4th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Waist is where your body bend to the side. It's not necessarily the smallest part, can as well be the widest. Not everyone is slim...

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 03:16 PM
Waist is below the bottom of the ribcage, though. If you stand up straight, and bend your torso towards the side without twisting or moving your feet, then the part of your torso where the bendy area is, is your waist. If you are not overweight, then it will be at the narrowest part of your torso.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:16 PM
Suortuva, thank you for clarifying that. I agree, and I'm not slim at all. :)

bokeh
March 4th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Usually people on this forum are quite kind. I’m disappointed. Maybe this discussion about milestones belongs in a different thread. Dark40, you and I discussed how it can be a little scary to post a photo for the first time. This is why.

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 03:27 PM
Dark40, your hair's beautiful, and that's a really nice picture for your avatar.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Kalamazoo, thank you! I'm also thinking about taking another photo with my hair freshly washed and air dried with my natural curls.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Kalamazoo, thank you! I'm also thinking about taking another photo with my hair freshly washed and air dried with my natural curls.

That sounds nice, Dark40. Natural curls are so pretty!

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Usually people on this forum are quite kind. I’m disappointed. Maybe this discussion about milestones belongs in a different thread. Dark40, you and I discussed how it can be a little scary to post a photo for the first time. This is why.

Yes, I thought people on this forum were quite kind too. I'm disappointed too. Yeah, this discussion about milestones does belong in a different thread. This thread has nothing to do with or it is not about milestones and lengths. This is about my hair. Yes, we did discuss how it can be a little scary to post a photo for the first time. Yes, this is what I was afraid of. That's why I was hesitant about posting a photo on here in the first place.

The-Young-Maid
March 4th, 2020, 03:41 PM

Did you miss the part where most of her posts are misleading? Sorry but people are going to get annoyed.

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Look, let me tell you something, and I hesitated to comment back you but I'm gonna say this. 22 inches for waist length on a person that stands 4'11" isn't extremely short. BTW, it depends on the person's body shape and size. Waist length doesn't fall on everybody when it hits the narrowest part of your back. That is not the case. Waist length can falls 2 or 3 inches from BSL in the back area depending on the person's height. But when I'm off camera my body mark for my hair measurement is at waist on me. Now, since you're a couple of inches taller than me your measurements are going to be different from mine.

22 inches is extremely short for waist if you measure from front hairline!

I'm 4'11.

https://imgur.com/a/a3ogn

This was my first photo posted here. It's 21 inches.

For comparison, a photo of my hair just touching waist.

https://imgur.com/a/bWGKd you can see the difference in length going by body markers, rather than the number on a tape measure.

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 03:51 PM
When lying on the bed? Depends on whether you have a high bed or low bed. I have a hospital bed, that is quite high up off the ground. It would take a long time for me. :lol: ;) :p

You misread, I think, she said when lying on your back ;) so providing your head can touch the floor if you were to lay down on it (getting back up is a separate issue I know :p) you could call it at fuzz length :rollin:

Maybe https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths.htm is a better chart?

Yes, that's the one I linked from your original list as the one that most closely aligned with what's generally accepted here :D

Waist is where your body bend to the side. It's not necessarily the smallest part, can as well be the widest. Not everyone is slim...

I would dare to say this is the only definition of waist we need :thumbsup:

As for the milestone discussion, well it is relevant to claims made on this thread. But ... :horse:

hayheadsbird

That would be fab! :)

Dark40
That sounds nice, Dark40. Natural curls are so pretty!

Thank you, Sarah. Yes, natural curls are very pretty! After I freshly washed today or even after every wash when I let it air dry the texture is always wavy. I think that's may natural hair texture anyways instead of on the curly side.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:54 PM

I'm 4'11.

https://imgur.com/a/bWGKd you can see the difference in length going by body markers, rather than the number on a tape measure.

Ok, I see that 22 inches is shorter now, and yes it is just touching waist.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 03:55 PM
That would be fab! :)

Oh yeah, and the hair color is dark or black too! :) I'm also planning on dyeing black within 3 days from now as well! :)

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 04:01 PM
Thank you, Sarah. Yes, natural curls are very pretty! After I freshly washed today or even after every wash when I let it air dry the texture is always wavy. I think that's may natural hair texture anyways instead of on the curly side.

:disbelief
*deep breath*

Dark40. You relax your hair. You've even told us it's to make your hair more manageable. Your changed texture from the relaxer is not your natural texture. But this thread is positively littered with dead horses by now so I'm done.

Regardless, I'm sure your naturally dried texture, whatever you want to call it, is very pretty - I personally do enjoy the look of air-dried hair as it usually has more character than blow-dried :)

neko_kawaii
March 4th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Mod Note:

Differences in hair type, thickness, physical height, body shape, posture, mobility, age, and mental acuity all play a role in the appearance of ones hair length and ability to take comparable measurements or photographs. Some of those are considered rude to inquire into.

Asking for clarification of how someone is using definitions to bring clarity to a discussion is one thing, but it becomes unKind to continue down the same path repeatedly when it becomes clear that that the conversation is not capable of going anywhere else.

I would hate to have to close yet another thread and I do not have the time to play whack-a-mole with each individual poster trying to explain the situation.

lapushka
March 4th, 2020, 04:27 PM
You misread, I think, she said when lying on your back ;) so providing your head can touch the floor if you were to lay down on it (getting back up is a separate issue I know :p) you could call it at fuzz length :rollin:

The bed is just below my bum when I go to sit down so, knowing me, I would be half off of the bed and probably bump my head on the floor. :lol:

Dark, would love to see the curly picture! :thumbsup:

Belgrade Beauty
March 4th, 2020, 04:51 PM
So I also calculated my height in feet and it's 5,4. My current hair length is 74 cm aka 29.2 inches and I'm still 1 or 2 inches shy from waist. Just for reference... Also thanks everyone for posting charts and other stuff, I've been looking for those like, forever..:D

MusicalSpoons
March 4th, 2020, 05:11 PM
The bed is just below my bum when I go to sit down so, knowing me, I would be half off of the bed and probably bump my head on the floor. :lol:

Dark, would love to see the curly picture! :thumbsup:

Oh no, I meant if your head touched the floor when lying on the floor ... at least, that's how I interpreted it :grin: I'm not advocating sitting on the bed then putting your head into the floor :laugh:

... but this is definitely off topic now :oops:

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2020, 05:40 PM
I define waist length being at your ribcage or under your boobs.

Actually, if you're talking about an empire waistline dress, yes, that's where the dress' waist is. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=empire+waist+dresses&t=samsung&iax=images&ia=images

Wendyclaire
March 4th, 2020, 05:52 PM

I'm 4'11.

These pictures are not the same hair and a different person then what the OP first posted. This is irritating that a person would do that and it’s so blatant! Whatever!

littlestarface
March 4th, 2020, 05:56 PM
Okay i am shorter than all yall i'm 4'8" and my hair at waist is 28inches and I do not have a long torso. So.....

jane_marie
March 4th, 2020, 05:59 PM
You know... this is a waste of time and effort. We aren't getting anywhere. Frankly, I am starting to wonder if the entire thing is just a farce anyway.

Dark40
March 4th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Did you miss the part where most of her posts are misleading? Sorry but people are going to get annoyed.

The-Young-Maid, my posts are not misleading. What is so misleading about it? Name one thing that is so misleading about. I am being truthful about my height, my number measurements, and I am overweight. You gotta go by the body shape and size. Waist length does not fall in the same area on everybody. It depends on your height, weight, and body shape. Everybody isn't slim like you.

FennFire911
March 4th, 2020, 06:21 PM
The-Young-Maid, my posts are not misleading. What is so misleading about it? Name one thing that is so misleading about. I am being truthful about my height, my number measurements, and I am overweight. You gotta go by the body shape and size. Waist length does not fall in the same area on everybody. It depends on your height, weight, and body shape. Everybody isn't slim like you.

I believe previous posters have named multiple things that make them feel things have been misleading.
To me, it nearly feels like gas lighting. We see with our own eyes where the hem of your hair falls, and you keep insisting it’s something that it simply isn’t.
Whatever. Your colour and texture are nonetheless very lovely.

Wendyclaire
March 4th, 2020, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Wendyclaire;3764174] my bad, these are different people. So confusing!

zashin66
March 4th, 2020, 06:57 PM
I confess I'm jealous of all the shorter stature people because they can reach their hair length goals like BCL and Classic so much quicker than I.:wail:

Ligeia Noire
March 4th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Well, this is actually an interesting discussion about hair length charts, we all know google knows squat about hair and who best than us to compile a chart by making some kind of poll... anyway, JJJ, I knew you had a length chart somewhere and I know this is your personal one but hey, the more the merrier, I need to do one too!
We should compile a bunch and then do an average or something.
Dark, you are always setting our brains on fire :p

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5RMkQU-Mj-U/VVTy9ZoXftI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/7XU8oDjq8fI/s1600/2015%2Bhair%2Blength%2Bchart%2Bchin%2Bto%2Bfloor.J PG

zashin66
March 4th, 2020, 07:30 PM
Well, this is actually an interesting discussion about hair length charts, we all know google knows squat about hair and who best than us to compile a chart by making some kind of poll... anyway, JJJ, I knew you had a length chart somewhere and I know this is your personal one but hey, the more the merrier, I need to do one too!
We should compile a bunch and then do an average or something.
Dark, you are always setting our brains on fire :p

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5RMkQU-Mj-U/VVTy9ZoXftI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/7XU8oDjq8fI/s1600/2015%2Bhair%2Blength%2Bchart%2Bchin%2Bto%2Bfloor.J PG

Oh thank you so much. !!!!! I'm so excited over this picture. I'm 5'7"(used to be 5'8") but ya know how time works..... My hair is similar color so this is so great to see!!! I'm somewhere between fingertip length and mid thigh length. My hair is not is such great shape as her's because I love to wear my hair down. So I guess I have things to work on. Dark40. Your hair is lovely. I would love to see your curls and more pictures would always be fun to see as you grow:)

Crystawni
March 4th, 2020, 07:31 PM
Your hair looks to have grown quite a bit since previous pictures on your profile, Dark40, and it's lovely to see, especially as you've been concerned over stalls. I'm sorry you have such confusion over the measurements and textures and what they translate to in terms of how LHC works, but I'm glad we (as a community) now have a visual of where you are to help guide us as well. Many of us come here for advice and encouragement, and do well with comparisons across the board to help us on our growth journeys. Your own hair is visually different to what you state, and this causes confusion for all, especially those seeking advice regarding their hair with similar statistics to what you believe you have. LHC has a plethora of fantastic information and support, but when it's muddied like this, it takes the shine from the place, unfortunately.

As for waist, yup, I'm an advocate of "bend at the waist" to find it. LHC doesn't use dressmaking measurements to gauge lengths; we're a hair forum and use the Dr George Michael way, I think.

Mentioned by Madora here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=87933&p=1992623&viewfull=1#post1992623).

Shown here (https://sites.google.com/site/habioku/about-hair/hair-measurement).

Lady Stardust
March 5th, 2020, 12:51 AM
Actually, if you're talking about an empire waistline dress, yes, that's where the dress' waist is. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=empire+waist+dresses&t=samsung&iax=images&ia=images

Yes I was thinking the same thing, Dark40 is describing an empire line waist (at the rib cage/under the boobs). That is the narrowest part of the torso for many people so I can see how that can be confusing.

I’m 5’10” which is tall but not remarkably so, and I have a relatively short torso. Even so, I find it impossible to find dresses where the waist hits in the right place. A lot of them seem to be made high waisted these days.

Dark40 it’s great to see photos of your hair and I hope you continue to post progress pictures.

Ylva
March 5th, 2020, 01:11 AM

Actually, on me, TBL and classic fall pretty much exactly like that, but then again, I am a small-butted abomination. I agree about APL being weird on that chart, though, and BSL I think is just a BS measurement in general. :D

Oh no, I meant if your head touched the floor when lying on the floor ... at least, that's how I interpreted it :grin: I'm not advocating sitting on the bed then putting your head into the floor :laugh:

... but this is definitely off topic now :oops:
Indeed, I imagined lying on the floor when I proposed that milestone. :D But certainly lying on the bed with the head touching the floor accomplishes the same, it's just a very extreme way of measuring the milestone I suppose!!

Kindness doesn't mean agreeing with something that obviously is not true, simply to not upset the person. FennFire mentioned that it resembles gaslighting, which I'd have to agree with. Same stuff but less serious context than usual, I suppose.

Dark40
March 5th, 2020, 07:30 AM
I believe previous posters have named multiple things that make them feel things have been misleading.
To me, it nearly feels like gas lighting. We see with our own eyes where the hem of your hair falls, and you keep insisting it’s something that it simply isn’t.
Whatever. Your colour and texture are nonetheless very lovely.

Well, that's just yall's opinions but I have a right to my opinion as well, and like keep repeating like a broken record in my OP that my poster wasn't that good in the picture. I was leaning for like someone had said. But when I'm off camera my hair DEFINITELY falls on my waist to me, and if you saw me off camera you wouldn't think it's misleading. That's why I hate posting pictures. You should also be able to see with your own eyes that my head we tilted forward, and that is what is making my hair or hemline look shorter, and my waist or torso is not as long or narrow as yours. You might be taller and skinnier than me.

Anyway, thank you for the comment on the colour and texture.

Dark40
March 5th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Actually, on me, TBL and classic fall pretty much exactly like that, but then again, I am a small-butted abomination. I agree about APL being weird on that chart, though, and BSL I think is just a BS measurement in general. :D

Indeed, I imagined lying on the floor when I proposed that milestone. :D But certainly lying on the bed with the head touching the floor accomplishes the same, it's just a very extreme way of measuring the milestone I suppose!!

Kindness doesn't mean agreeing with something that obviously is not true, simply to not upset the person. FennFire mentioned that it resembles gaslighting, which I'd have to agree with. Same stuff but less serious context than usual, I suppose.

Look, when I let my hair hair down off camera is falls to my waist. My waist line is not as narrow as yours. So, my length is very true whether you want to believe it or not.

The-Young-Maid
March 5th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Well, that's just yall's opinions but I have a right to my opinion as well, and like keep repeating like a broken record in my OP that my poster wasn't that good in the picture. I was leaning for like someone had said. But when I'm off camera my hair DEFINITELY falls on my waist to me, and if you saw me off camera you wouldn't think it's misleading. That's why I hate posting pictures. You should also be able to see with your own eyes that my head we tilted forward, and that is what is making my hair or hemline look shorter, and my waist or torso is not as long or narrow as yours. You might be taller and skinnier than me.

Anyway, thank you for the comment on the colour and texture.

If you knew the picture wasn't a good representation of your hair then why did you post it? Or at least add that info to your OP.