PDA

View Full Version : March 2020: Pincurls

neko_kawaii
March 1st, 2020, 05:09 PM
Pincurls are sections of hair wrapped up, often around a finger or two and pinned to the scalp. They can be used as accents with other styles, clustered to create a style, or use as heatless curl method.

How do you use them?

neko_kawaii
March 1st, 2020, 05:18 PM
I often use pincurls to deal with the extra length left from coronet braids. Sometimes the next day the curls are still distinct enough to display.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4180/35579184776_d0c7971421_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49128473562_57347f1aa2.jpg

AmaryllisRed
March 1st, 2020, 07:23 PM
That's really cute, Neko!

lunalocks
March 2nd, 2020, 05:42 PM
My mom used to put my hair in pincurls with bobby pins (in an X) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT so I would have curls in my long, then blond, hair until I was in the 5th grade. Imagine a helmet of bobby pins to sleep on every night.

Maybe I have sufficiently recovered to try it again.

BerrySara
March 2nd, 2020, 06:49 PM
My mom used to put my hair in pincurls with bobby pins (in an X) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT so I would have curls in my long, then blond, hair until I was in the 5th grade. Imagine a helmet of bobby pins to sleep on every night.

Hehe lunalocks the way in which you wrote that made me chuckle...not at your suffering of course!

Neko that really looks very adorable. The whole hair style frankly, the coronet braids with the flower and the pin curl.

Groovy Granny
March 2nd, 2020, 09:41 PM

TBH this month's style made me cringe :shudder:

My Mother also did TIGHT pincurls on me ...all over my head....for hours and overnight :headache: inspite of protests and crying.

This went on from the time I was in kindergarten until I could rebuff her in my preteen years grade 5/6 also; then she cut it short and did home perms until I was in 8th grade :doh:

I am 68 and have suffered for @63 years with a very sensitive scalp, frequent headaches and migraines with scalp muscle spasms that are tender to the touch, and even laying my head on a pillow is too much some nights.
Forget tight ponytails and barrettes, high buns, or braids; even a strand of hair pulling can set off a headache.

So I will be passing on this one and can't even bear to read the posts, as pretty as the pics are :tmi:

PLEASE don't use pincurls on your little ones ...use gentle foam rollers (when awake) :pray:

My PTSD moment is over...carry on...I'm outta here :run:

AmaryllisRed
March 2nd, 2020, 10:09 PM
My mom and her sisters are about 66-73 and also suffered the wrath of the whole-head pincurls! Although I think their mom (who was a hair stylist) opted for rag curls more often. Might be no coincidence three of the four of them have worn very short styles for many years now!

I will be trying the coronet braid style. I really like that, especially with the flower. I wonder if I can come up with any other ways to use a pincurl as an accent.

neko_kawaii
March 2nd, 2020, 10:16 PM
You poor traumatized dears! My mother consented to do my hair in either rag or pin curls on a few occasions. She (a natural curly) was also traumatized by them as a child. NOTHING is comfortable to sleep in, but I’ll take rags or even pins over rollers.

Ages ago, there was a thread about a wedding hairstyle that was basically just large pincurls. Really beautiful, but it seems like the last time I went looking for it, the pictures were long gone. *sigh*

Nineteenbirds
March 2nd, 2020, 10:34 PM
I, too, suffered from childhood pincurls! It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title for this thread. Ugh! It must have been a '50's thing. Our poor mothers had no idea what trauma they were causing. . .

squirrrel
March 2nd, 2020, 11:51 PM
Sounds like I was very lucky that making my hair curl was only ever attempted with rag curls over night. My mum has stories of brushing ringlets out on her way to school as she prefers the light waves look... not sure whether she was subjected to pin curls though.

Groovy Granny
March 3rd, 2020, 09:41 AM
You poor traumatized dears! My mother consented to do my hair in either rag or pin curls on a few occasions. She (a natural curly) was also traumatized by them as a child. NOTHING is comfortable to sleep in, but I’ll take rags or even pins over rollers.

I edited my comment about FOAM rollers for use WHEN AWAKE only; you're right, they are not comfy either, but somewhat better if done with care.

Those pincurls hurt day or night :nono:

Yup, must have been a 50's thing :grouphug:

The 'Queen of Derailment" is exiting stage right :lol:

Thanks for all the emotional hugs :flowers:

BerrySara
March 3rd, 2020, 10:34 AM
wow I didn't realize the extend of the pin curls. Sorry to hear that.

Growing up my mom would excessively and aggressively brush the heck out of my curls to beat them into submission but I didn't have to sleep with anything in my hair. I cant imagine how uncomfortable that must have been. I tried ONCE to sleep in those long foam rollers and I hardly got any sleep that night. That was the one and only time.

Cg
March 8th, 2020, 08:14 AM
I was lucky. My mother didn't have enough bobby pins for my head of long very thick hair (yes it was, when I was young) so she resorted to both hard and foam plastic curlers. She gave up when she recognized that no amount of work or prayer would make my straight hair curl -- or even wave, for longer than a few minutes. Even those foam things were painful all night, so I'll second GG and recommend you not torture your young ones with nighttime hair-changers.

Nineteenbirds
March 8th, 2020, 07:26 PM
In early high school I slept with my hair wrapped around big purple plastic rollers that were about 2" across. We all did. Thank goodness someone invented electric rollers! That was the end of all that stuff, pincurls and rollers alike.

neko_kawaii
March 12th, 2020, 11:11 PM
I wore a coronet braid with one pin curl secured with a single spin pin all day. Super confey!

spirals
March 13th, 2020, 12:24 AM
Hehe lunalocks the way in which you wrote that made me chuckle...not at your suffering of course!

[
Same here, especially that last line she wrote.

shelomit
January 10th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Well, it wasn't an intentional pin curl. . . but I had my hair up in a coronet most of the week, and upon taking the braid out, discovered this sproingy lil ringlet:
https://i.postimg.cc/h4rHhXW5/ringlet.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xqXs4Tdv)
Being tucked in the "pocket" of braid at the back of my neck had about the same effect as being pinned in place to dry!

Kat
January 10th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Well, it wasn't an intentional pin curl. . . but I had my hair up in a coronet most of the week, and upon taking the braid out, discovered this sproingy lil ringlet:

Being tucked in the "pocket" of braid at the back of my neck had about the same effect as being pinned in place to dry!

How cute!!!

shelomit
January 10th, 2021, 05:47 PM
How cute!!!

Thank you : D

AmaryllisRed
January 10th, 2021, 09:49 PM
So pretty, shelomit!

shelomit
January 10th, 2021, 10:20 PM
So pretty, shelomit!

Thanks, Amaryllis c: