PDA

View Full Version : Explain your hair thickness

GoddesJourney
February 22nd, 2020, 06:29 AM
Is it because your individual hairs are thick or thin? Do your hairs grow ver close together or spaced apart? Do you have a big or small head? Are your hairs textured or straight to create or remove volume?

I have relatively coarse hair and I wonder why I don't have a thicker ponytail circumference. I do have a small head. Hen I cut off all my hair (and had it thinned with thinning scissors to avoid the dandelion look) I actually wore youth size hats. But then I wonder if maybe either my hair just doesn't grow as close together as others? I see little girls with two braids and each one is near the size of my single braid. Sometimes they have wavy or curly hair though, so it makes me wonder if this is just an illusion?

Your thoughts?

lapushka
February 22nd, 2020, 07:57 AM
I have F hair, but a wee head and it's dense on there. My hairs are pretty darn close together, which is why I have such trouble washing my scalp. I have to section in 4 sections to suds, then suds it all together in the end. The 2 sides, the back of the head and the top of the head. That is why it takes 12-15 minutes to wash my hair, granted I massage well, because I weekly wash and it has to be done properly.

blackgothicdoll
February 22nd, 2020, 07:59 AM
My texture is what makes my hair thick. If I straighten my hair, it's actually relatively thin depending on how straight it is. The pockets of air created by curves in each strand greatly expands the physical appearance of how much space the hair takes up.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2020, 08:19 AM
blackgothicdoll, I measure circ when waves are brushed out or when it has been blown-out. If I measure when my waves are freshly washed I get around 4.75 inches, when in reality "all flattened out", it's 4.25". I measure when it's totally compressed, not "fluffed up" from texture. I think that's the idea. Personally. :o

florenonite
February 22nd, 2020, 08:51 AM
I have F hair, but a wee head and it's dense on there. My hairs are pretty darn close together, which is why I have such trouble washing my scalp. I have to section in 4 sections to suds, then suds it all together in the end. The 2 sides, the back of the head and the top of the head. That is why it takes 12-15 minutes to wash my hair, granted I massage well, because I weekly wash and it has to be done properly.

Same here. I wash more frequently (3x/week) so it doesn't take me quite as long, but I have really dense, fine hair as well that can make washing a challenge if I'm not careful. I usually lean my head back while upright, wet my hair, and apply shampoo that way, then bend over so all the hairs are lifted relative to the scalp and scrub until I get a good lather all over my head. I usually find there are gaps that still need shampoo when I do this, as well, so I end up adding some more, especially around the crown. Then I rinse in sections to make sure it's all out.

Bri-Chan
February 22nd, 2020, 09:52 AM
I have a normal head i think ... my hair is F, very F ... and the density depends by the area. My 3'' volume is not equally distributed ... like, I have more hair on the top of my head then near the ears and I have just a little amount of hair near the left ear. I never had troubles with washing but I always had with dye. I needed to do very small sections and I always needed an huge amount of product

GoddesJourney
February 22nd, 2020, 10:04 AM

I'm starting to think this is an issue of attention to detail. I don't have quite as much hair as you do but I also have to section my hair to wash my scalp. I have started doing this with my daughter's f/m i hair and it just washes better. I think LHC-ers pay enough attention to hair and scalp to wash this way.

ExpectoPatronum
February 22nd, 2020, 10:12 AM
I'm actually not sure what makes my hair thick. Maybe it's a combination of factors.

I have M strands and medium density? My strands aren't far apart, but they aren't close either. I think I have a normal-sized head. My hair texture is 3a, though leaning more 2c/3a now that it's getting longer so maybe it's from that? But my hair also loses it's curl very easily and when I measured circumference, it was basically straight. Granted, my hair isn't insanely thick (4.5" circumference) but I don't know where that comes from.

Milady_DeWinter
February 22nd, 2020, 10:29 AM
Got fine but very thick hair. I just have lots of it. My head is medium, a bit on the small side.

My mom had the very same thickness as me years ago and still has at least 4.5" in circunference at 63 and after a cancer. We share a very similar color, but her hair was 1b while mine is 2c/3a. It's just genetics.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2020, 10:43 AM
Same here. I wash more frequently (3x/week) so it doesn't take me quite as long, but I have really dense, fine hair as well that can make washing a challenge if I'm not careful. I usually lean my head back while upright, wet my hair, and apply shampoo that way, then bend over so all the hairs are lifted relative to the scalp and scrub until I get a good lather all over my head. I usually find there are gaps that still need shampoo when I do this, as well, so I end up adding some more, especially around the crown. Then I rinse in sections to make sure it's all out.

I apply shampoo (a palm full, honestly a dime size is not gonna cut it), to every section. The two sides is one glob, divided into two. So 3 palm fulls of shampoo. I'm not even ashamed. :D When I wash it, I go all out! I have to, the SD (seborrheic dermatitis) has something to do with it as well.

poojasilk
February 22nd, 2020, 10:52 AM
My hair is straight, but it's coarse, and its very dense, especially on the crown of my head. My ponytail thickness is 5" when weighed down and not fluffy after washing. I actually haven't ever measured it straight after washing.

blackgothicdoll
February 22nd, 2020, 10:56 AM
blackgothicdoll, I measure circ when waves are brushed out or when it has been blown-out. If I measure when my waves are freshly washed I get around 4.75 inches, when in reality "all flattened out", it's 4.25". I measure when it's totally compressed, not "fluffed up" from texture. I think that's the idea. Personally. :o

Makes plenty of sense. I've never measured my hair because I know I'll get different measurements, between freshly washed with no product, washed with product, blown out, brushed out, flat-ironed on a normal day, flat-ironed on a humid day, etc. I really have no idea how thick my hair is. I state it's iii because on most days, that's how it's behaving since I do not straighten or blow it our the majority of the time.

I apply shampoo (a palm full, honestly a dime size is not gonna cut it), to every section. The two sides is one glob, divided into two. So 3 palm fulls of shampoo. I'm not even ashamed. :D When I wash it, I go all out! I have to, the SD (seborrheic dermatitis) has something to do with it as well.

My hair is also dense (very close together) and I have to wash in sections as well. I do four sections, two in the front, two in the back. Each section gets a squirt of shampoo, and I use an extra squirt along the parts to make sure I can get in those. I don't even have SD but it's been working very well for me since I've started doing this. Washing my hair all at once, it was literally impossible to wash all of my scalp.

eta: to quell my curiosity I measured my hair as it is now, in post-wash braids. That's about as compact as it can get, but two of my braids aren't long enough to fit into a ponytail. The circumference I got from that was 4.25 inches. I guess I'll just have to wait until my hair is long enough to measure all of it.

Maybe I'll try once my hair dries, but still, no measurement is really accurate for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hedwig
February 22nd, 2020, 11:00 AM
I have a lot of different textures on my head, there's some really fine and straight ones and then really coarse and thick ones all mixed together. Multiple hairdressers have told me that I have a lot of hair and that it's really thick, but honestly, I don't really think so? I find it so interesting that some people really have the same hair type all over their head!

Ylva
February 22nd, 2020, 11:07 AM
Right now, my hair is average thickness, but once I recover from all the chemical damage and my huge shed (after which my ponytail circumference was the same as at a previous measurement, which makes me think it had thickened up in between), I think I might be able to reach my old thickness which would be something like ii/iii. My hair is very fine and sleek and it compresses a lot, so it's just that there are many strands. I think I have a relatively big head.

Belgrade Beauty
February 22nd, 2020, 11:21 AM
I have thicker hair on the left side of my head. When I split my hair on the half of my head I can see in the circumference of my pony as well as on my braid that right side is thicker. Also when I comb with my fingers I can feel the difference. My hair is thinner near my forehead and you can see my scalp on some places, especially directly above my ears. The back side of my head has more hair but not much more. There I can feel strands on my fingers,wheres on the front of my had I touch the scalp pretty much immediately. All in all, before high school my hair was thicker (iii) and I couldn't touch my scalp,when it was winter my head wasn't cold. Now I wear caps and hats...

lapushka
February 22nd, 2020, 04:47 PM
Makes plenty of sense. I've never measured my hair because I know I'll get different measurements, between freshly washed with no product, washed with product, blown out, brushed out, flat-ironed on a normal day, flat-ironed on a humid day, etc. I really have no idea how thick my hair is. I state it's iii because on most days, that's how it's behaving since I do not straighten or blow it our the majority of the time.

It's odd and difficult to figure out when to measure. It is. And with a tight texture it's especially difficult. :flower:

My hair is also dense (very close together) and I have to wash in sections as well. I do four sections, two in the front, two in the back. Each section gets a squirt of shampoo, and I use an extra squirt along the parts to make sure I can get in those. I don't even have SD but it's been working very well for me since I've started doing this. Washing my hair all at once, it was literally impossible to wash all of my scalp.

eta: to quell my curiosity I measured my hair as it is now, in post-wash braids. That's about as compact as it can get, but two of my braids aren't long enough to fit into a ponytail. The circumference I got from that was 4.25 inches. I guess I'll just have to wait until my hair is long enough to measure all of it.

Maybe I'll try once my hair dries, but still, no measurement is really accurate for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just make sure you didn't add the circumference from the 2 ponytails, because that's not how it works. There is a mathematical formula around here that tells you how to accurately "add" them; but I kind of forgot where that is at. :hmm:

The Lizard Wife
February 22nd, 2020, 09:12 PM
My head is small too--presumably child-sized hats (any hat my mom oopsed on knitting that turned out too small for anyone to get on their head has been perfect for me), definitely child-sized glasses with the arms viciously cut shorter to make them fit. But my hair grows pretty densely on my scalp. As far as I can tell I have the whole range of individual strands--fine, medium, thick, and in later years a scattering of kinky-coarse. I don't know what this affects, or if it's just because it's straight, but while my hair is fluffier after washing and looks thinner after it's dirty, my ponytail circumference measurement is always the same. It always packs into the same size ponytail no matter how much volume it would have hanging loose.

I never got very good at washing in my hair in sections (though I have always had to split it up to get it wet), which is why my current amazing strategy is to put my hefty handful of shampoo into a separate bottle, fill it partway with water in the shower, shake it up, and dump the suds on my head so they're much easier to work in and actually get to my scalp.

CopperButterfly
February 22nd, 2020, 11:10 PM
I have mostly medium strands of hair, and based on what some of you are describing, I don't think my hair is super dense. But I do have a big head, the average woman's hat is too small for me. I find this thread fascinating!

blackgothicdoll
February 22nd, 2020, 11:15 PM
It's odd and difficult to figure out when to measure. It is. And with a tight texture it's especially difficult. :flower:

Just make sure you didn't add the circumference from the 2 ponytails, because that's not how it works. There is a mathematical formula around here that tells you how to accurately "add" them; but I kind of forgot where that is at. :hmm:

Oh no, I just excluded the two braids that were not long enough, no addition done here. That's why I figure I'll just leave it until it's all long enough to accurately measure :o

lapushka
February 23rd, 2020, 02:07 AM
Oh no, I just excluded the two braids that were not long enough, no addition done here. That's why I figure I'll just leave it until it's all long enough to accurately measure :o

Ah OK. I totally misunderstood! :o Sorry! All good!!! :thumbsup:

Stray_mind
February 23rd, 2020, 02:14 AM
My hair is f/m and very fluffy, which makes it appear thicker than it is. I actually lost nearly half an inch in thickness during the years and it went from 3.14 to 2.76... It is discouraging but what can one do but accept it.....

imalda
February 23rd, 2020, 02:55 AM
I have medium to coarse strands of hair so that helps with my thickness. My hair is also dense though and grows quite evenly all over my head, as if a hair farmer planted them in rows all over my head. That is probably where I get most of my thickness from. Looking at my scalp, the gap between my hairs is barely the width of the hairs themselves. My head is on the smaller size for adults. When I buy hats and there's a choice between small, medium and large, I am usually a small or in between a small and medium.

leayellena
February 23rd, 2020, 02:58 AM
my stands are f and they compress into a bun/braid. my hair falls flat because my strands are f. my pony circ. varies from freshly washed at almost 4" to barely 3.50" (I think I make my ponytail too tight). a cinnabun on freshly washed hair means I can't wrap my hair because it's too thick for my small hands. on 2nd day my hair is too slippery for a cinnabun. on freshly washed hair I have to ponytail my hair, then braid it, then bun it. a french braid at night and the next day helps a bit but my hair will soon be too heavy and slippery for french braids on freshly washed hair. according to this article (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/3-ways-to-figure-out-your-hair-density-once-and-for-all) I have dense hair. I still can't decide if I should call it ii/iii

Simsy
February 23rd, 2020, 03:38 AM
I have a larger than average head, and a fairly low hairline at the front; so there’s a lot more surface area that gets covered. I have very fine, thin strands; and lots of them. I have natural “Shirley Temple” ringlets, that curl from the base and can get perfectly horizontal if they are light enough (up/down to about shoulder length is quite capable of ignoring gravity if not pinned into submission). My buns are fairly large by normal standards, but they do compress very well; and more so as the week goes on and the texture stretches.

Extensions are socially acceptable now (unlike a few decades ago when they were seen as cheating or lying); and almost socially expected. Women (occasionally men as well but more so women) use extensions to give the impression of thick hair because it’s desirable as a marker of good health and/or wealth (this is not a new idea). Thick hair isn’t generally achievable with poor health or restrictive diets; and it’s even harder when bleaching, heat styling, teasing, and generally abusing/mistreating hair. Hair extensions used to be heinously expensive so to use multiple sets was a mark of prosperity. That’s the old, historical-ish explaination.

The styles that are posted by influencers are using extensions to make them look more impressive. Other women and girls get extensions because that’s how you recreate these styles without going mad or dedicating a significant chunk of time to growing out your hair. At a certain point, it’s considered almost impossible to look healthy without extensions because they are so prevalent that anyone not using them has thin, limp looking hair by comparison.

florenonite
February 23rd, 2020, 05:43 AM
my stands are f and they compress into a bun/braid. my hair falls flat because my strands are f. my pony circ. varies from freshly washed at almost 4" to barely 3.50" (I think I make my ponytail too tight). a cinnabun on freshly washed hair means I can't wrap my hair because it's too thick for my small hands. on 2nd day my hair is too slippery for a cinnabun. on freshly washed hair I have to ponytail my hair, then braid it, then bun it. a french braid at night and the next day helps a bit but my hair will soon be too heavy and slippery for french braids on freshly washed hair. according to this article (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/3-ways-to-figure-out-your-hair-density-once-and-for-all) I have dense hair. I still can't decide if I should call it ii/iii

Haha I have this problem with so many buns. I have child-sized hands and most of the length is in the palm, so any buns that involve wrapping around a few fingers or holding loops with your fingers? Not happening :p

GoddesJourney
February 23rd, 2020, 07:42 AM
Haha I have this problem with so many buns. I have child-sized hands and most of the length is in the palm, so any buns that involve wrapping around a few fingers or holding loops with your fingers? Not happening :p

This! I have small hands and finger wrapping is a joke even though I don't have super thick hair. It really requires serious concentration and multiple tries to get those buns to work and they often end up messy because I lost some strands.

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2020, 08:56 AM
Average. Average density, average strand thickness (the majority on the fine side of medium but with some strands from babyfine through to coarse), average texture (in the middle of straight and wavy with some areas rather more textured), average sized head ... yep, distinctly unremarkable. Oh, and it tapers almost from the start, from middling ii to not even the width of a pencil.

But! It is it what it is and it also means I don't have to hunt for (and spend more on) huge hairtoys even at knee or calf length, and it's easy to handle. I think ideally I'd love to have just a quarter or half an inch extra circumference so I'd hopefully have more hairs at the very end of the lengths, but beyond that I've learned to love what's on my head for what it is, even if it's unremarkable in every way except the length (and here, even the length isn't so unusual - but that's a good thing! :D Without it being normalised here, I'd never have thought I could grow this long).

Dark40
February 23rd, 2020, 12:41 PM
Have relaxed thick hair. When it's relaxed it turns to fine hair but a lot of it. When it's not relaxed it's 2c/3a.

My mom's thickness is much more thicker than mine. Even after taking meds but she is more like a 3c almost 4a when she's not relaxed.

TreesOfEternity
February 23rd, 2020, 12:48 PM
My hair is fine. I had lots of it as a kid but when hitting puberty I lost thickness.

Now I have less density around my face, and a big forehead, which makes me have obviously less strands (people with small foreheads have more area where hair grows).

Suortuva
February 23rd, 2020, 12:56 PM
Have relaxed thick hair. When it's relaxed it turns to fine hair but a lot of it. When it's not relaxed it's 2c/3a.

My mom's thickness is much more thicker than mine. Even after taking meds but she is more like a 3c almost 4a when she's not relaxed.

Texture and thickness are two separate things. Hair can be thick or thin, it doesn't matter if it's 1, 2, 3 or 4. It's too possible to have thick hair but thin (=fine) individual strands or thin hair with thick (=coarse) individual strands.

GoddesJourney
February 23rd, 2020, 02:46 PM
My hair is fine. I had lots of it as a kid but when hitting puberty I lost thickness.

Now I have less density around my face, and a big forehead, which makes me have obviously less strands (people with small foreheads have more area where hair grows).

My husband says I have a high forehead. Looks like my daughter does, too. I have definitely seen people with very low hairlines and it probably adds another four or maybe five square inches of hair follicles.

We should start a thread of close up root and scalp pictures. I would love to see visual references for different hair densities. It sounds like some people have hair density like a sea otter! I wonder if that makes you overheat. I wonder if such people have genetic origins from places with very cold weather.

jane_marie
February 23rd, 2020, 02:50 PM
My husband says I have a high forehead. Looks like my daughter does, too. I have definitely seen people with very low hairlines and it probably adds another four or maybe five square inches of hair follicles.

We should start a thread of close up root and scalp pictures. I would love to see visual references for different hair densities. It sounds like some people have hair density like a sea otter! I wonder if that makes you overheat. I wonder if such people have genetic origins from places with very cold weather.

My hair is coarse, dense and I have a small forehead. I can conform that I find myself overheated quite often. Anything over 80F is really uncomfortable. At 90 I feel like I might die and over 100 I refuse to go outside.

Summer is unbearable for me.

Ligeia Noire
February 23rd, 2020, 02:59 PM
Explain thickness? hummm
My hairs are fine, the bulk is thick. So, probably lots of it is the reason of the iii category.
Texture adds volume, so a good way to know if your thickness is more due to texture or bulk is braiding it. A simple English braid will compress down the waves or curls and will show its thickness more accurately.
My thickness changed throughout the decades too and it still varies throughout the seasons.

blackgothicdoll
February 23rd, 2020, 04:47 PM

My scalp is not visible. At all. I manually make a part, as I do not naturally have one. Manual part creation requires the rattail end of comb.

I overheat normally so I've never blamed my hair for it. My genes definitely are not from somewhere cold, and if they are it would be far too small of a percentage to effect my hair, I don't think :o

unheardletters
February 23rd, 2020, 05:55 PM
My hair is coarse, close together, and I have a big head. My ponytail circumference varies depending on shedding and bouts of trichotillomania. Right now it is about 4” but it’s been as high as 6” and as low as 3.5”.

florenonite
February 23rd, 2020, 08:36 PM

My hair is VERY insulating. I can't even wear a ponytail at shorter lengths (shoulder to APL) to work out because it's too hot on the back of my neck, and I cringe when I see people lifting in half-ups; I need my hair OFF my neck to lift because it's so warm. I'm Scottish :p

Ylva
February 24th, 2020, 12:00 AM

I think the primary purpose of hair is protection from the sun. I think, on average, people from colder areas have thinner hair than people from hot areas. Over here, the average thickness is probably i/ii, with the middle of ii being considered rather thick. Of course, there are people with iii hair here, too. I tend to associate Sámi genetic influence with thicker hair, but I'm not sure if the Sámi people actually have thicker hair than the other Nordic folk.

Milady_DeWinter
February 24th, 2020, 12:24 AM
I think the primary purpose of hair is protection from the sun. I think, on average, people from colder areas have thinner hair than people from hot areas. Over here, the average thickness is probably i/ii, with the middle of ii being considered rather thick. Of course, there are people with iii hair here, too. I tend to associate Sámi genetic influence with thicker hair, but I'm not sure if the Sámi people actually have thicker hair than the other Nordic folk.

This. I'm quite sure my genetics are mostly mediterranean (olive green eyes, medium tawny brown hair, yellowish/olive skin that tans a lot in summer and is difficult to sunburn), my thickness is over the average in my country but I see more people from i up to iii here. Also my hair is finner than usual: is is very fine with some medium hairs here and there, but are probably 1% or less so I don't count them.

leayellena
February 24th, 2020, 12:50 AM

exactly! a thread like this would be amazing. I just can't count how many times I see comments like thin and fine or superthick but it's actzually curly or damaged. we need such a thread and your idea is brilliant

imalda
February 24th, 2020, 12:52 AM
My head definitely gets hot, especially in the Australian summer! But I don't need a hat in winter and if I haven't worn enough layers, I can let my hair down and wrap myself in it for extra warmth.

I have to agree that the warmer the climate, the thicker the hair generally (obviously there are exceptions, I seem to be one based on my ethnicity). Where my parents are from, it's quite warm but not extremely so and the average thickness is ii. I am definitely an exception. At least my scalp doesn't get burned under the Australian sun! My friends will burn if they don't wear a proper hat. I can get away with a straw hat or visor.

unheardletters
February 24th, 2020, 03:36 AM
My heritage is from a cold climate (summer is only about a week long and it isn’t even warm), there are lots of people with iii hair, and only a few with i or ii.

Ylva
February 24th, 2020, 06:37 AM
My heritage is from a cold climate (summer is only about a week long and it isn’t even warm), there are lots of people with iii hair, and only a few with i or ii.

I could definitely imagine that Asian-influenced cold areas (like parts of Siberia) or Inuit-influenced areas, for example, would display thicker hair, so in that sense, it's not tied to climate, but I think in Europe, there is a strong tendency towards thicker in the south and thinner in the north.

jane_marie
February 24th, 2020, 06:57 AM
I think my thickness migh have at least a little bit to do with my maternal great grandmother being a Native American but I have nothing to back that up. It's hard to say that is due to heat or cold though since the specifics of my great grandmother's heritage have been lost over time.

My mother keeps her hair short but it has always been amazingly coarse and dense (both denser and coarser than mine. It's certainly not from my dad's side of the family since that branch is largely Nordic and my dad had finer strands of cool toned platinum until his 50's.

GoddesJourney
February 24th, 2020, 08:10 AM
My hair is coarse, dense and I have a small forehead. I can conform that I find myself overheated quite often. Anything over 80F is really uncomfortable. At 90 I feel like I might die and over 100 I refuse to go outside.

Summer is unbearable for me.

I'm starting to think my hair isn't very dense and maybe that is why I will probably never have iii hair or maybe just barely.

I used to run about three miles to half marathon distance in the weather that makes you feel like you're dying. Maybe my head vents nicely? Cold weather starts in the 60s to me. It takes me a few days to acclimate to hot weather and several weeks to acclimate to the cold. This may be a circulation issue or I could just be a cold weather cry baby. I've been doing a cold shower regimen and it's helping.

florenonite
February 24th, 2020, 09:07 AM
I could definitely imagine that Asian-influenced cold areas (like parts of Siberia) or Inuit-influenced areas, for example, would display thicker hair, so in that sense, it's not tied to climate, but I think in Europe, there is a strong tendency towards thicker in the south and thinner in the north.

Yeah, anecdotally a lot of Scots I know have thick hair (I have a friend who often wears her hair in two braids that are BOTH as thick as one of mine, and I'm a iii @_@), but I think people in Nordic countries tend to have thinner hair. My guess would be it's tied to a bunch of genes and not necessarily specific to cold weather or sunny climates.

lapushka
February 24th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Yeah, anecdotally a lot of Scots I know have thick hair (I have a friend who often wears her hair in two braids that are BOTH as thick as one of mine, and I'm a iii @_@), but I think people in Nordic countries tend to have thinner hair. My guess would be it's tied to a bunch of genes and not necessarily specific to cold weather or sunny climates.

That is so weird. :D

giraff
May 2nd, 2023, 05:01 AM
I think, on average, people from colder areas have thinner hair than people from hot areas. Over here, the average thickness is probably i/ii, with the middle of ii being considered rather thick. Of course, there are people with iii hair here, too.

I can confirm this! Nordic hair is "supposed to be" fine and thin. Unless there's a family secret I'm not aware of, I'm Scandinavian going hundreds of years back.. On my yearly visits to the salon, the hairdressers almost seem angry with me for having so much hair. "Your hair is fine, but there's a lot of it".. I am 99% sure that I have fine hair (based on the before mentioned comment), but maybe a big head? Always needed bigger sizes hats, helmets etc - not sure how much the hair is contributing to that, though. And I don't mean to brag, it's actually a bit humbling that the hairdressers never can finish on time, most regular accessories are too small for me post APL, and it's hard to find buns that will hold. But I shouldn't complain, people have it much worse :violin: Had to measure thickness again today, because I was doubting that I could be iii with fine hair. Yes, I sure am: 12 cm circumference ponytail, not including thick curtain bangs :cool: