PDA

View Full Version : Scalp oil dilema

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Ok, i know i'm probably being a bit meladramatic, but bear with me....

So, i know i've repeatedly posted this information before, but a quick recap if anybody has missed it....i got ill, lost tons of hair, then gained some of it back (ponytail circumference went up by about 150%) then recently lost a load again, which coincides with a while of intense stress....having to leave my home, moved in with my dad but my old room was full of junk for about 6 months so i had to sleep on the sofa all that time with 2 dogs so never actually got a good nights sleep in that time....had no money and was having to live off my dad, wasn't eating....literally.
So, i kinda know the cause....but here's my issue.....
Last year i brought some Hesh Bhringraj hair oil, and loved it, nice smell, relaxed me, helped me sleep (at my old place). When i moved in here i stopped using it, mainly because it was always solid and i just couldn't be bothered with waiting for it to melt, or i'd fall asleep waiting. I have used it a few times but not at all regularly. Anyway, one thing i've noticed is that my hair growth hasn't seemed as fast as it was, it went from bra strap length to past hip length in 2 years, and while i was using this oil it seemed to grow really fast, even though the growth looked thin but i didn't realise how much the hair higher up was thickening....but i only just realised this the other night.
What i was doing was heavily oiling, with massage, my scalp at night with it and not washing for even a week at a time, but topping up each evening...then when i washed my hair, maybe only leaving a day before heavily oiling again so effectively my hair and scalp were soaking in this oil for months and months on end and i do think that gave me both the growth spurt and possibly thickened my hair up.
So, my dilema....i want to replicate this, and winter is a great time to do it. The thing is, those of you who have read Ktani's thread on Bhringraj will have seen that this oil has been reformulated and hasn't got the same ingredients in it now, plus it has mineral oil which i don't want in a scalp oil at all.
So i thought of trying to make my own version, but, well....here's the ingredients:
Coconut Oil, Maka, Amla, Brahmi, Mehendi, Pudina Phool, Bawchi, Chandan, Dantimool, Ghawla, Ghodawal, Jatamasi, Jivanti Patra, Kapoorkachli, Kapoor, Methi, Rose, Shankhawali, Wala.
Some of those ingredients i know i can't find in the shops and i don't buy online. I think the bhringraj played a part of course, but i think the other ingredients did too......i'm not sure there's even an answer to this, but i'm wondering what other people would do in my situation? I do plan on making a few oil mixes....but maybe i'm just having a childish tantrum but i kind of resent not being able to use this one that i found so good....i have about half a bottle left.
Anybody who has got this far.....i'm both very impressed and gratefull that you got through my ramblings!

ktani
November 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
The main ingredient you are posting about is the eclipta alba.

I started a thread on that that you posted in too here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939

Try to find the ingredients that you can, adding to it, while you search out the others locally.

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM
The main ingredient you are posting about is the eclipta alba.

I started a thread on that that you posted in too here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939

Try to find the ingredients that you can, adding to it, while you search out the others locally.

Yeah, some of them i can get without too much hastle...eclipta alba (bhringraj/maka) i have, amla, brahmi and a few others aren't much hastle either and i have them here....but some that i tried googling i couldn't even find on the net, or if i did, only a vague mention. I might pop to a place called southall which i'm told is the best place here for buying indian things.

ktani
November 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, some of them i can get without too much hastle...eclipta alba (bhringraj/maka) i have, amla, brahmi and a few others aren't much hastle either and i have them here....but some that i tried googling i couldn't even find on the net, or if i did, only a vague mention. I might pop to a place called southall which i'm told is the best place here for buying indian things.

Some of them are no doubt under different names.

mira-chan
November 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I would be miffed at the reformulation too.

I looked at many of the Indian oils and most available to me were with mineral oil so I just started making my own. ( I do buy online.)

I'd make the oil with what I had access to and see how that worked. Jatamansi oil may or may not be possible to find in the Indian stores. Ask, there might be some. That is very helpful in growth I found.

You can also try Kama Ayurveda Neelibringradi (Intensive hair treatment). It's also a bringradj based oil that is mineral oil free. I know you can buy it in England. I rememebr there was one store location but that seems to have dissapeared from their site, there are 3 spa locations:

Myhotel Brighton, Brighton
Myhotel Bloomsbury, London
Myhotel Chelsea, London

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Some of them are no doubt under different names.

Oh god yes, it's a nightmare....on the actual box i have it gives the botanical name along with the....folk name? So i was searching using those

ktani
November 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Oh god yes, it's a nightmare....on the actual box i have it gives the botanical name along with the....folk name? So i was searching using those

The problem with folk names is that they vary with geographical area.

Is there and ayurvedic center or pratitioner that you can go to?

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The problem with folk names is that they vary with geographical area.

Is there and ayruvedic center or pratitioner that you can go to?

Actually, now you mention it, there is a centre in croydon.....it might be worth asking there.

Mira, ideally i'd make my own, and there are some ingredients i'd want to add anyway that aren't in this oil, in a sesame oil base as opposed to the coconut oil because of the solidifying issue.....i still will make some, but i wanted to make sure i could include these ingredients as they seem to work. Doesn't the neelibringradi oil include indigo in it? I've seen that mentioned a few times and have been curious.

ktani
November 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Actually, now you mention it, there is a centre in croydon.....it might be worth asking there.

You know most of the causes of your present situation, stress.

However maybe you need professional assessment and guidance.

It may be cheaper and better to get a formula specific for you and you can ask questions and perhaps purchase ingredients from them.

mira-chan
November 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Mira, ideally i'd make my own, and there are some ingredients i'd want to add anyway that aren't in this oil, in a sesame oil base as opposed to the coconut oil because of the solidifying issue.....i still will make some, but i wanted to make sure i could include these ingredients as they seem to work. Doesn't the neelibringradi oil include indigo in it? I've seen that mentioned a few times and have been curious.

Yes it does. Neeli is a name for indigo. It did not noticibly stain my hair though, then again, it's dark. Kama neeli is in a sesame base, not coconut. KPN neeli is in a coconut base, but that one smells absolutely horrible.

Diamondbell
November 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
That's a good idea Chloe Dharma. I hope you get all the ingredients required. I would do the same like you and not use mineral oil-mixed commercial oils at all. Even if you get a few ingredients it is worth it!

Personally, I have made some oil mixes too, like vetiver+coconut oil and some dried flowers like rose, hibiscus in it. Another Oil I made is sesame oil+ dried fenugreek leaves made into small balls. These two are OK.

But if you can get all those ingredients you mentioned or even some of them for a coconut oil mix, it should be good!

ChloeDharma
November 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the advice :flowers:
I managed to find some more of the old formula today so brought 2 bottles of it :D plus a few others that i got before finding the hesh bhringraj....but that's ok....just gives me more to play with ;)
I'll still make some of my own though, if for no other reason than to give away and just for the fun of it.

tina1025
November 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
You may want to check out the following website for ingredients.

http://www.garrysun.com/bhringrajoil.html

Ok, i know i'm probably being a bit meladramatic, but bear with me....

So, i know i've repeatedly posted this information before, but a quick recap if anybody has missed it....i got ill, lost tons of hair, then gained some of it back (ponytail circumference went up by about 150%) then recently lost a load again, which coincides with a while of intense stress....having to leave my home, moved in with my dad but my old room was full of junk for about 6 months so i had to sleep on the sofa all that time with 2 dogs so never actually got a good nights sleep in that time....had no money and was having to live off my dad, wasn't eating....literally.
So, i kinda know the cause....but here's my issue.....
Last year i brought some Hesh Bhringraj hair oil, and loved it, nice smell, relaxed me, helped me sleep (at my old place). When i moved in here i stopped using it, mainly because it was always solid and i just couldn't be bothered with waiting for it to melt, or i'd fall asleep waiting. I have used it a few times but not at all regularly. Anyway, one thing i've noticed is that my hair growth hasn't seemed as fast as it was, it went from bra strap length to past hip length in 2 years, and while i was using this oil it seemed to grow really fast, even though the growth looked thin but i didn't realise how much the hair higher up was thickening....but i only just realised this the other night.
What i was doing was heavily oiling, with massage, my scalp at night with it and not washing for even a week at a time, but topping up each evening...then when i washed my hair, maybe only leaving a day before heavily oiling again so effectively my hair and scalp were soaking in this oil for months and months on end and i do think that gave me both the growth spurt and possibly thickened my hair up.
So, my dilema....i want to replicate this, and winter is a great time to do it. The thing is, those of you who have read Ktani's thread on Bhringraj will have seen that this oil has been reformulated and hasn't got the same ingredients in it now, plus it has mineral oil which i don't want in a scalp oil at all.
So i thought of trying to make my own version, but, well....here's the ingredients:
Coconut Oil, Maka, Amla, Brahmi, Mehendi, Pudina Phool, Bawchi, Chandan, Dantimool, Ghawla, Ghodawal, Jatamasi, Jivanti Patra, Kapoorkachli, Kapoor, Methi, Rose, Shankhawali, Wala.
Some of those ingredients i know i can't find in the shops and i don't buy online. I think the bhringraj played a part of course, but i think the other ingredients did too......i'm not sure there's even an answer to this, but i'm wondering what other people would do in my situation? I do plan on making a few oil mixes....but maybe i'm just having a childish tantrum but i kind of resent not being able to use this one that i found so good....i have about half a bottle left.
Anybody who has got this far.....i'm both very impressed and gratefull that you got through my ramblings!