PDA

View Full Version : Fun article about the inventor of Invisibobble

Entangled
February 16th, 2020, 07:47 PM
http://'I reinvented the hair tie from my uni halls' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51309340

I just thought I’d share this with everybody! Invisibobbles are those hair ties that look like spiral phone cord that are pretty hair friendly.

Laurab
February 16th, 2020, 09:22 PM
The link broke for me, but I googled all of the key words I found and got it :)
In case anyone else is having the same problem, here (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51309340) is where I'm able to read it.
Assuming I've got this right :laugh:

0xalis
February 16th, 2020, 09:42 PM
Oh man, I feel bad because I got mine from scunci. If I realized invisibobble was trying to be a sustainable company I would have put my money over there instead.

Groovy Granny
February 16th, 2020, 09:51 PM
Interesting....

But I have found a few brands on Amazon that are high quality, last long without the need to reshape, come in a greater variety of colors, and sizes.....and at a fraction of their cost.

I have no plans to buy this brand. :shrug:

SleepyTangles
February 16th, 2020, 10:44 PM
I didn't know the founders were (well, are) so young! It makes me appreciate them even more.
I like Invisibobble better than any other telephone cord tie I've tried these years. Better grip, they usually outlive all the others. And the colors are very nice!
As every good magpie, I have a weak spot for the chrome ones.

Rowdy
February 16th, 2020, 11:31 PM
I didn't know the founders were (well, are) so young! It makes me appreciate them even more.
I like Invisibobble better than any other telephone cord tie I've tried these years. Better grip, they usually outlive all the others. And the colors are very nice!
As every good magpie, I have a weak spot for the chrome ones.

I have found this to be true as well. My original 3 invisibobble I got in 2015 (maybe 2014) outlive all the off brand ones I get gifted for the holidays each year. I keep them in a jar so they get used at random. I had no idea about the backstory! That's awesome.

eta: I went to their website for the first time and now they have bobby pins?? I need to try these immediately :thud:

eta2: and now I just saw the 'Bunstar'! Adding that to the list... https://www.invisibobble.com/bunstar/

SleepyTangles
February 17th, 2020, 12:18 AM
I have found this to be true as well. My original 3 invisibobble I got in 2015 (maybe 2014) outlive all the off brand ones I get gifted for the holidays each year. I keep them in a jar so they get used at random. I had no idea about the backstory! That's awesome.

eta: I went to their website for the first time and now they have bobby pins?? I need to try these immediately :thud:

eta2: and now I just saw the 'Bunstar'! Adding that to the list... https://www.invisibobble.com/bunstar/

The Bobby pins aren't bad, definitively gentler than metal Bobby pins... but the material Is plain rigid plastic, not gummy cord. They can't hold more than an amount of hair and eventually break if forced to hold more.

Joules
February 17th, 2020, 01:10 AM
Now I feel happy for choosing Invisibobbles over cheaper hairties :) they aren't as expensive considering how long they last (I still have my very first invisibobbles I got in March 2015, good as new), plus I try to get them on sales. I really respect the founder's ethics and message. I'd happily pay a bit more knowing that no worker from a third-world country was exploited to make it.

florenonite
February 17th, 2020, 05:34 AM

Oohhhhhh, that's clever! I like the inner and outer rings to grip the bun and scalp hair respectively.

I have a few knock-off invisibobbles, but I've been meaning to get some real ones because although these hold great, they've lost shape pretty quickly. And I don't know if these are recyclable like the originals are.

lapushka
February 17th, 2020, 06:10 AM
I almost never shop beyond Lidl or Aldi (sometimes Colruyt (your version of CostCo)). So everything hair I get from there, and yes I got knock-offs. They are fine! :thumbsup:

bparnell75
February 17th, 2020, 11:16 AM
I just saw the 'Bunstar'! Adding that to the list... https://www.invisibobble.com/bunstar/

I think this is a cute idea for small buns. But I like big showy buns and hair toys! If I were military or some job where no tools could be seen maybe. Also I do not like granny buns which small cinnabuns remind of. Why do what any woman can do if I have the hair to be more flamboyant! that is just me!

Rowdy
February 18th, 2020, 01:29 PM
I just saw the 'Bunstar'! Adding that to the list... https://www.invisibobble.com/bunstar/

I think this is a cute idea for small buns. But I like big showy buns and hair toys! If I were military or some job where no tools could be seen maybe. Also I do not like granny buns which small cinnabuns remind of. Why do what any woman can do if I have the hair to be more flamboyant! that is just me!

I just saw they came out with a bigger version of the 'waver' bobby pins last month so maybe they will eventually make a supersized Bunstar :) I was thinking of it for low double buns. They are 9$ at my local Ulta, if a good coupon appears and I can get 2 for 9$ I might try them.

Ylva
February 18th, 2020, 02:00 PM
Now I feel happy for choosing Invisibobbles over cheaper hairties :) they aren't as expensive considering how long they last (I still have my very first invisibobbles I got in March 2015, good as new), plus I try to get them on sales. I really respect the founder's ethics and message. I'd happily pay a bit more knowing that no worker from a third-world country was exploited to make it.

Exactly! I've bought a few packs of these and for the life of me I can't use them to tie ponytails (which I don't really wear, but anyway, sometimes I just need my hair back for a quick second), they always pull on some hairs, which is intolerable, but if I ever need more of them, I'll keep buying the brand instead of knock-offs. :)

lapushka
February 18th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Simple choice for me; I just can't afford the brand. :shrug:

Groovy Granny
February 18th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Simple choice for me; I just can't afford the brand. :shrug:

:thumbsup: especially when the selection of sizes and colors are so limited with INVISIBOBBLE....and none of these get out of shape!

I am every happy with these:
Small: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNPC84Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8G8SR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Medium: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2HR3F1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Large like these (what I bought 1+ years ago is no longer available), but every one is still in good condition, and I use them often!
https://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Telephone-Fluorescent-Elastics-Accessories/dp/B07TZQ9FRP/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?keywords=invisibobble&qid=1582067667&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRU5PUDBVNEtaS09HJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzI0OTg1S0xZUjg5TlIyN0lIJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4Mjc5ODU4UUk1TVBON0hHUUEmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

SleepyTangles
February 19th, 2020, 12:32 AM
Exactly! I've bought a few packs of these and for the life of me I can't use them to tie ponytails (which I don't really wear, but anyway, sometimes I just need my hair back for a quick second), they always pull on some hairs, which is intolerable, but if I ever need more of them, I'll keep buying the brand instead of knock-offs. :)

The grip can be quite tight, yeah. I needed a bit to adjust, I usually skip a loop and this helps balance things out

MusicalSpoons
February 19th, 2020, 04:52 PM
Huh, interesting. I couldn't get on with any of the knockoff types, and taking them out after a failed attempt only made it worse because they tangled terribly just trying to remove them. I don't think Invisibobbles are for me, but it's good to know that they are very long-lasting and that the company takes ethical issues seriously - the Instagram post in the article was quite a shock.

SleepyTangles
February 20th, 2020, 04:21 AM
Soooo... I casually returned home with a pack of bunstars.
My hair is a bit too short and clean right now, but I like how comfy they feel.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40334&d=1582197371
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40345&d=1582233682

unheardletters
February 20th, 2020, 05:30 PM
I have a few invisibobbles, but they can get horribly tangled around in my hair so badly that they sometimes need to be cut out. I don’t wear them anymore.

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2020, 10:18 PM
I bought some today and they totally suck for my hair. They just get tangled and hold my hair in a weird way. The tiny "basic" elastics are nice and I will use them to hold my braid now. They seem sturdy. The ones I buy my daughter in n the big packs are more single use.

Arciela
February 21st, 2020, 08:47 AM
I have a few invisibobbles, but they can get horribly tangled around in my hair so badly that they sometimes need to be cut out. I don’t wear them anymore.

Same here. Mine matted my hair so bad I almost had to cut it! Luckily my MIL somehow cut the invisibobble out and somehow detangled my hair gently. Never again.

Rowdy
February 22nd, 2020, 01:36 PM
Looks good SleepyTangles ! Were they difficult to use? I mainly use an invisibobble base and a 2 prong fork to bun so a bit different than I am used to fiddling with.

I got a pack of the Waver pins and so far they are working much better for me than bobby pins! With a middle part I used one on each side to pin the hair from just below the temples up to half way between the ear and crown. I even pulled the hair so it wasn't flat against my head and it survived a dog walk (mad dash really) with no pulling, sagging or pain. I'll see if they last the rest of the day :)

I had no idea about the tangling issues with the hair ties, I can't say I have ever experienced that. But I also have never had tangling with regular hair ties even as a kid. Things falling out or getting ejected from my hair is my main problem...

SleepyTangles
February 22nd, 2020, 03:47 PM
Looks good SleepyTangles ! Were they difficult to use? I mainly use an invisibobble base and a 2 prong fork to bun so a bit different than I am used to fiddling with.

I got a pack of the Waver pins and so far they are working much better for me than bobby pins! With a middle part I used one on each side to pin the hair from just below the temples up to half way between the ear and crown. I even pulled the hair so it wasn't flat against my head and it survived a dog walk (mad dash really) with no pulling, sagging or pain. I'll see if they last the rest of the day :)

I had no idea about the tangling issues with the hair ties, I can't say I have ever experienced that. But I also have never had tangling with regular hair ties even as a kid. Things falling out or getting ejected from my hair is my main problem...

I definitively need to grow my hair enough to "coil" the tail under the first loop. Right now I can just form a "U", so the bun stays open and unfolds (unless I add a pin, or something). But it felt rather promising, so I´ll keep playing with it :thumbsup:
The plastic is slightly brushed, so it´s not overly slippery.
Yeah, me too: my hair is very slippery, never had hair tangling around an elastic.

Suortuva
June 4th, 2020, 01:16 AM
So I finally got the Bunstar, I have been so curious about it and I like the idea.

But I can't make it work, I just don't understand it!

I've been following the instructions, but... I can't make it to hold my bun, it feels loose and insecure and unravels an/or the Bunstar ends up in the one side of the bun and/or lots of it's visible and somewhere else than in my bun, and the whole thing feels bigger than my puny bun.

Just aaargh!

Feral_
June 4th, 2020, 03:06 AM
So I finally got the Bunstar, I have been so curious about it and I like the idea.

I've been following the instructions, but... I can't make it to hold my bun, it feels loose and insecure and unravels an/or the Bunstar ends up in the one side of the bun and/or lots of it's visible and somewhere else than in my bun, and the whole thing feels bigger than my puny bun.

Just aaargh!

Oh no! I was hoping someone had used it successfully as I’m useless at doing buns and I thought this might be the answer. The only one I can do is twisting it with a scrunchie or invisibobble, and it’s not really a bun, just hair twisted up in a tie lol.

Suortuva
June 4th, 2020, 03:11 AM
Oh no! I was hoping someone had used it successfully as I’m useless at doing buns and I thought this might be the answer. The only one I can do is twisting it with a scrunchie or invisibobble, and it’s not really a bun, just hair twisted up in a tie lol.

Have you ever tested spin pins? They are really great for holding buns! I was hoping this would have been somewhat similar, but nope.

SleepyTangles
June 4th, 2020, 03:20 AM

Just aaargh!

I usually try to stick it as deep as possible and, even though my hair is just little past shoulder, and can barely coil in a full circle, most of the Bunstar is covered! Maybe it takes a bit to find the perfect spot? :hmm:
I don't know how to describe the way I place it, I just play around until I get this :confused:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41570&d=1591262000

BleachedBerry
June 4th, 2020, 06:35 AM
I really like that story.
I love my sprunchie it looks just like a normal scrunchy but it has the invisibobble inside

SleepyTangles
June 4th, 2020, 06:53 AM
I really like that story.
I love my sprunchie it looks just like a normal scrunchy but it has the invisibobble inside

I have just one, bit it's really comfy!

Feral_
June 4th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Have you ever tested spin pins? They are really great for holding buns! I was hoping this would have been somewhat similar, but nope.

Are they the spiral ones? I have some but need to find them. I’d forgotten about those, thank you!

Hairkay
June 4th, 2020, 07:57 AM
I've seen supermarket versions of invisiboble. I don't get them because they look as if they'd tangle in my hair. I'm also a hair minimalist. Most times I don't use hair ties, pins, clips or other hair accesories. My hair can stay in a bun all on it's own and I use plaits and twists to manage my hair.

SelenVinland
June 4th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Very interesting article! I like to hear that they are trying to be a sustainable brand. Perhaps I'll check these bands out when my hair is long enough to use them.

Suortuva
April 19th, 2021, 01:01 PM
I guess this your official invisiboble thread?

The ordinary ones are actually just too much for my hair, I need to wrap them 100 times around my ponytail, and that's just too much.

So I just purchased kids size. I can wrap that 4 times around my pony, but I think 3 rounds probably will work too.

My hair is pathetic...

BuddhaBelle
April 20th, 2021, 03:43 AM
I guess this your official invisiboble thread?

The ordinary ones are actually just too much for my hair, I need to wrap them 100 times around my ponytail, and that's just too much.

So I just purchased kids size. I can wrap that 4 times around my pony, but I think 3 rounds probably will work too.

My hair is pathetic...

try popping them in boiling water! this usually shortens them up.

Suortuva
April 20th, 2021, 04:45 AM
try popping them in boiling water! this usually shortens them up.

I would prefer a option that gives me thicker hair, lol!

Isilme
April 20th, 2021, 10:15 AM
*whispers* I think they're horribly ugly and even the ones which are supposed to match the hair colour are ugly. But the fiancé has problems with tangles in his long hair since he's curly and neglects his hair. I just might get one for him, and a fun coloured one for my braid ends. Do these things hold like high ponytails with a lot of weight? If they do without pulling and giving me a headache they could be a good option for a sock bun. Could they even work for a high messy bun? Also, I like how the founder takes a stand against horrible working conditions! A huge plus in my book.

Isilme
April 22nd, 2021, 12:59 PM
I broke down and bought two packs of Invisibobbles for myself and the fiancé. One black for him and those clear nano thingys for my braid ends. Let's hope they work!

Ylva
April 22nd, 2021, 01:52 PM
*whispers* I think they're horribly ugly and even the ones which are supposed to match the hair colour are ugly. But the fiancé has problems with tangles in his long hair since he's curly and neglects his hair. I just might get one for him, and a fun coloured one for my braid ends. Do these things hold like high ponytails with a lot of weight? If they do without pulling and giving me a headache they could be a good option for a sock bun. Could they even work for a high messy bun? Also, I like how the founder takes a stand against horrible working conditions! A huge plus in my book.

For me, these hair ties pull like there's no tomorrow, but then again, I cannot wear high ponytails in the first place no matter what they're secured with, and most buns cause pulling. :shrug:

Bri-Chan
April 22nd, 2021, 03:12 PM
I think I'm starting to understand the pulling thing. My hair usually isn't slippery, at all, but those rare case it has some good slip when dry, the invisibobble pulls.

Isilme
April 30th, 2021, 07:24 AM
I bought them, and of course he didn't like them because they are hard to take out and tangles his hair. I should have known better, plus they're obviously plastic which we're trying to eliminate. It's just a shame they can't be returned. Oh well, live and learn.

sushiqueen
July 10th, 2021, 02:07 PM

Just aaargh!

I'm also having a hard time with the Bunstar. :P I thought it would be kind of like a spin pin but flattened, but I'm not sure I can make it work for me. I'm having all the same problems as you, except it feels like I have too much hair for it instead of too little. Haha.

Suortuva
July 10th, 2021, 04:07 PM
I'm also having a hard time with the Bunstar. :P I thought it would be kind of like a spin pin but flattened, but I'm not sure I can make it work for me. I'm having all the same problems as you, except it feels like I have too much hair for it instead of too little. Haha.

I have tried them time to time since that, but I still don't get it. I was hoping some day they will just magically work, but nope.

Iyashikei
July 10th, 2021, 10:39 PM
I have the knockoffs from a bigger store here. Didn't even know Invisibobble invented those telephone chord ties. Mine are from the store itself.

I just went to that store's website and saw that they actually sells the originals. Now I feel dumb 😑