PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Need To Use Clarifying Shampoo vs. Regular Drug Store Shampoo?

Dark40
February 8th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

I have a question or a concern. Why do you need to use clarifying shampoo vs. regular drug store shampoo? Is there are difference between the two of them? Because, I'v always thought that regular drug store shampoo was also a good clarifier or cleanser. Or, am I wrong? What i want to know is what good is clarifying your hair once a month doing? Other than when you are using regular drug store shampoo 2 or 3 times a week?

Thank you all for your responses!

The-Young-Maid
February 8th, 2020, 08:58 PM
When you have significant buildup it's better to use a specially formulated clarifying shampoo. This is because clarifying shampoos are formulated to remove buildup and not leave residue behind. Normal sulfate shampoos are designed to remove everyday oil and buildup but they also deposit conditioning agents(like cones, oils, plant extracts etc) onto the hair which can inhibit a deep clean that a clarifying shampoo could achieve.

A normal sulfate shampoo is better than nothing, but it would generally take more product and scrubbing/washes to get the job done vs a clarifying shampoo. Both are sulfate based so you're getting a base level of cleansing. But normal shampoos are also meant to condition and smooth the hair, not just clean.

Depending on how much product/oil/stretching washes you do your clarifying needs could change. It's completely individual. I clarify when my hair starts to look stringy. That's when I know my conditioner and oils have built up. Sometimes my normal shampoo is enough tho, I just have to massage extra into my length not just my scalp.

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo

water (aqua), sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide mea, ammonium chloride, fragrance (parfum), hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, tetrasodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, citric acid, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, ppg-9, blue 1 (ci 42090) red 33 (ci 17200).

Dark40
February 8th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Ok, thank for clarifying and answering that for me. That does make sense. I agree that with regular shampoos you would have scrub/wash more and sue more product than you would with a clarifying shampoo.

blackgothicdoll
February 8th, 2020, 09:53 PM
I think drug store shampoos can be clarifying as long as they have SLS and no cones, heavy oils or polyquats that will build up, right?

lapushka
February 9th, 2020, 04:38 AM
A normal sulfate shampoo is better than nothing, but it would generally take more product and scrubbing/washes to get the job done vs a clarifying shampoo. Both are sulfate based so you're getting a base level of cleansing. But normal shampoos are also meant to condition and smooth the hair, not just clean.

Some clarifying shampoos are sulfate-free. So there's not always a sulfate in there.

You *really* have to check the ingredients well on these things these days!

lapushka
February 9th, 2020, 04:40 AM
I think drug store shampoos can be clarifying as long as they have SLS and no cones, heavy oils or polyquats that will build up, right?

Yep. It should suffice for your regular use. I typically use a "volumizing" formula, as it's not got silicones (should not have them). If you really want to bust the big guns out, try the Neutrogena clarifying formula, that (I hear) strips it all really well.

leafygreens18
February 9th, 2020, 08:56 AM
Yep. It should suffice for your regular use. I typically use a "volumizing" formula, as it's not got silicones (should not have them). If you really want to bust the big guns out, try the Neutrogena clarifying formula, that (I hear) strips it all really well.

The Neutrogena is a holy grail in my house. My mother uses it for every wash (but knows nothing of hair either, so). But when I clarify that's always what I use, it will REALLY remove build up and strip your hair. I only clarify when I think I need to, not on a schedule. So that turns out to be once every 3-4 months usually.

lapushka
February 9th, 2020, 11:10 AM
I once bought Pantene clarifying shampoo, yes that existed! I have one more bottle left. Big huge 500ml bottle. I never ever in my life used to clarify. I mean, I always washed with sulfates, changed up my shampoo and it just was never a "thing", and my hair was fine. I mean, I never was aware of any issues. This is my teens & 20s mostly.

Now clarifying has become popular or more of a thing, because of the alternatives: CO-washing, sulfate-mild & sulfate-free.

Since I always sulfate wash, I just once in a while use the clarifying shampoo. I think I'm almost out of it too. Maybe every 3/4 months or every half a year or so. I never feel a difference in my hair after that shampoo, perhaps because my sulfate shampoos aren't bad to begin with. :shrug:

Dark40
February 9th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah, I also remember Pantene's clarifying shampoo. I never did try it. I also clarify my hair whenever it needs it too. Which is not that often. I would say once a month since I do co-wash and use silicones from time to time. My holy grail clarifying shampoos are: ORS CreamyAloe Neutralizing Shampoo and Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo. When I use the Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo J see a HUGE difference in my hair from before I've used it. When it feels sticky and gummy that's when I usually clarify, and I always see a HUGE difference when I use the Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo vs. any regular drug store shampoo.