View Full Version : Help! What preventative to use to spot-treat where hair strands yanked from root ??

_anya
February 8th, 2020, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone,
I hope this is the right place to post this question....
I accidentally yanked out a couple strands from the root on the back of my head earlier today while detangling. Now, hours later, I’m feeling some soreness and slight inflammation (ie., some warmth and redness) at the site of where said strands came out at the root. It feels like a bump will begin to form... :wail: :sad: :boohoo:

Question: What can I use to spot-treat just that small area of the scalp to avoid a bump from developing and to prevent potential folliculitis/infection (bacterial or fungal) from occurring?

Any advice is very appreciated. I have tried googling but not finding anything definitive.
Thank you so much!

The-Young-Maid
February 8th, 2020, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure if I'd put anything on that besides a bit of Neosporin.

TechnoticEyes
February 8th, 2020, 09:10 PM
Try to keep the area clean and it should be ok! Maybe take an anti-inflammatory to help with the swelling. I'm sorry this happened to you! It sounds like it hurts :(

_anya
February 8th, 2020, 09:48 PM
Aww, thank you - yeah it does hurt more than I expected, especially given that I seem to be prone to this sorta thing happening more than the average long-haired person, lol.
I put a cool compress on it, some neosporin and also popped 1 motrin, per your advice.
I think I too get impatient with my “winter knots” thanks to a combo of wearing hats, a hood, hiking in cold weather, lots of static when coming back to indoor heating, and having super fine hair, thin (strand width) but also incredibly dense = a disaster. :violin: :rolleyes:
Anyway, thank you so much for your reply and kind words. ♡

TechnoticEyes
February 8th, 2020, 09:57 PM
No problem! I wear hats when I go skating every other day and the static is REAL! I hope it all works out in the end :)

enting
February 18th, 2020, 04:22 AM
I was going to suggest something astringent, like witch hazel, but I don't think you need that on top of the antibiotic cream.

VioletIntention
February 18th, 2020, 11:40 AM
maybe some aloe vera? like, pure aloe gel? but if you got antibacterial, yeah should be good. You're gonna feel some soreness, if it was a moderate chunk. that's just your 'cells at work' to prevent bacteria and stuff from entering the open spots left at your now empty roots. Godspeed, good luck, and feel better! D:

Wendyclaire
February 19th, 2020, 05:12 PM
I’d leave it alone and it will heal faster. I pulled out a large hunk of hair in the front of my head a few years ago trying to detangle. Now I’ve got a slight dent in that spot but my hair is wavy so only I know! Very distressing when that happens!

Laurab
February 19th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Ouch! At least it's in the back and should be easy to hide, if it's even noticable. With hair it tends to feel a lot worse than it looks.

I think neosporin alone should be good, you don't want to mix a buch of stuff and risk them interacting or becoming ineffective.