PDA

View Full Version : coconut oils

Sossity
March 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
I have read alot of positive posts about coconut oils, what is the best type to get? right now I have some essential oil/perfume oil called Tribal coconut with Tahitian vanilla in a little 1/2 oz glass bottle I bought from a hippy/head shop. Want something that smells good, to use as a leave in conditioner after washing, not too heavy or oily, not too expensive, & easy to find. My hair is medium to course strands, & ii-iii

Sossity

sapphire-o
March 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Coconut oil is a cooking oil. Usually some solid white stuff in big jars, looks kinda like lard. :) You can probably find them in most health food stores for a few bucks. I paid $5 for mine and it'll last forever. Your nice smelling stuff might not be pure coconut oil. Of course it probably doesn't hurt to try it on your hair.

Sossity
March 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM
If I get the solid coconut oil in the jars, how would I apply it to my hair? do I have to melt it down? would I just apply it straight out of the jar to my hair?

Sossity

marajade
March 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Coconut oil is solid/semi solid but as soon as you put it on your fingers/palms it melts like butta, lol!!! Anyways, it is easily spreadable in your hair. My advice is start out with small amounts and build it up until you get the right amount. Also, be aware of the fact that it will crispyfy ( is that a word- just kidding!) your hair when you go outside in really cold temperatures-- not good. But, any leave in or oil will do that at the right temperature.

Sossity
March 24th, 2008, 01:45 AM
what happens in cold whether with this oil & other hair oils? what should I do before going to the mountains/snow to go skiing? if I don't have time to wash my hair & wash out the oil? I live on the warmer coast but I do go skiing in my local mountains.

Sossity

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I don't imagine it would solidify if it's cold, because you just put a very small amount in, so your hair should soak it up easily.

khyricat
March 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I've never had it turn crispy in my hair (with one exception- when I had way too much in! but i was going for a heavy oiling thing..) And I've even overoiled a bit in MI winter.. greasy/stringy when there is too much yes.. but even in the cold MI temps there has never been crispyness.. and it melts at skin temp.. so that helps too..

lora410
March 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
what happens in cold whether with this oil & other hair oils? what should I do before going to the mountains/snow to go skiing? if I don't have time to wash my hair & wash out the oil? I live on the warmer coast but I do go skiing in my local mountains.

Sossity

Throw your hair into a bun, and put a hat over it. If anything it will protect your hair from the damage cold weather can cause. Also, between your head heat with a hat on it probably wont soldify and if it does it will belts again once you get indoors.

yogachic
March 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Walmart carries tub of unrfined coconut oil in the vitamin isle. Your local health food stores also carry unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined is untouched and better for use in your hair. It costs about $9.99 at walmart, at the local heath food store I payed $14.99.

ladystar
March 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Great advice I have been trying to find this oil and have not been able to. But thanks =)

lora410
March 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Great advice I have been trying to find this oil and have not been able to. But thanks =)

Any walmart will carry it; look by the pharmacy in the vitamin area. i found mine on the very bottom shelf and I think the stuff goes fast because i got the last one.