PDA

View Full Version : Could silicones be causing my breakage? :0

aenigmatica8
February 3rd, 2020, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

I recently (maybe three weeks ago) started using silicone containing hair products after a year or two of not using them, and I’ve been noticing worse and worse breakage! My hair FEELS great but when I brush my hair, I’ve noticed more breakage than I’ve seen in years. I mean like 7 inch long segments! Needless to say I am NOT happy about this! I’ve been using Elvive conditioner and Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave In, along with my usual oils.

Have you noticed anything like this? I haven’t found any scientific evidence that silicones can weaken hair, but my hair is feeling very fragile. It is color treated, by the way. I really couldn’t care less about build up because I had plenty of that without cones- It’s just the breakage that really bothers me! Any advice is appreciated.

paulownia
February 3rd, 2020, 11:54 PM
I sincerely doubt it. Silicone can do a lot but I don't think it would cause breakage.
Which Elvive conditioner are you using?
My first though was that you could be having too much proteins in your product. Protein overload can cause dryness, and result in breakage.

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 12:03 AM
Do you clarify at all? Heavy silicones which are non-water soluble such as Dimethicone and especially if it's at the top of the list will build up and will need strong detergents.

I ditched silicones a year ago and couldn't be happier.

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 12:07 AM
Also buildup from silicones is different than oils etc. Silicones add a plastic layer and may inhibit penetration of oils. Everyone reacts differently but for me it made my hair dull long term while short term it made the hair tangle free.

Mass Manufacturers love anything with long shelf life. I also don't like adding to the microplastics pollution ethically so it's been no brainer for me.

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 12:15 AM
Here is some Wendy's science to refer to and how Silicones build-up and differences between Silicones

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/riffing-on-silicones.html

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/detergents-which-remove-silicones.html

Also what paulownia says it would be good to track the proteins. Wendy's science-y blog also has tons of read about protein balance.

The-Young-Maid
February 4th, 2020, 12:30 AM
Hmm. I don't believe silicones alone would cause breakage like that. My first thought was protein overload. But you said your hair feels nice so maybe not. It may just be cumulative damage from coloring but it's odd for that to all happen at once. Sleek & Shine give me protein overload every time.

Ylva
February 4th, 2020, 12:44 AM
If it's not protein overload, could it be that the added slip is just bringing out more of those hairs that have broken off, resulting in you noticing them more frequently?

GoddesJourney
February 4th, 2020, 06:46 AM
When I used to use silicones, I thought it was making my hair nicer because it was smooth and the coating made my individual hairs feel thicker. However, under that layer my hair was drying out like it was caught in a dust storm. Just one or two applications of coney product is enough to dry out my hair and cause permanent damage. I used to keep my hair between APL and BSL before joining LHC because the ends would start to curl and break off by then and I had splits everywhere. I trimmed a lot. Eventually, I started noticing the people who said their hair hated silicone products, which was perplexing to me because I couldn't see how it would do anything but help. So I stopped using them for a while and I liked the new hair growing in. I grew out all of the damage over a couple of years and I've never had that problem again. I can grow it long and it no longer curls and splits. I used to have split ends that looked like plant roots.

So consider that, although silicones can be a miracle for a certain head of hair, another head of hair can be damaged by them. Maybe your hair is like mine. If not, then maybe it is a protein issue as others have said.

Bri-Chan
February 4th, 2020, 09:07 AM
I don't think so ... I've been using silicones after years of silicone-free hair care routine and I can't see any new damages. Also, it is not just "silicones", but the formulation is the most important thing, because also in silicones-free product there are several formulation and not all suits to everyone

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 10:48 AM
When I used to use silicones, I thought it was making my hair nicer because it was smooth and the coating made my individual hairs feel thicker. However, under that layer my hair was drying out like it was caught in a dust storm. Just one or two applications of coney product is enough to dry out my hair and cause permanent damage. I used to keep my hair between APL and BSL before joining LHC because the ends would start to curl and break off by then and I had splits everywhere. I trimmed a lot. Eventually, I started noticing the people who said their hair hated silicone products, which was perplexing to me because I couldn't see how it would do anything but help. So I stopped using them for a while and I liked the new hair growing in. I grew out all of the damage over a couple of years and I've never had that problem again. I can grow it long and it no longer curls and splits. I used to have split ends that looked like plant roots.

So consider that, although silicones can be a miracle for a certain head of hair, another head of hair can be damaged by them. Maybe your hair is like mine. If not, then maybe it is a protein issue as others have said.

Maybe our hair is similar then! Maybe I’m suffocating my hair. Thank you!

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Thank you all for the replies! I’ve been using the color protect conditioner from Elvive. I do clarify but maybe once a month usually. I don’t use products with significant amounts of protein as far as I know? In fact, I remember when I did an aphogee treatment months ago it really helped with the breakage. It definitely is new breakage, because I hear the snap and then see what broke off. Maybe the Sleek and Shine Leave In is the problem?

lapushka
February 4th, 2020, 02:44 PM
aenigmatica8, are you still heat styling your hair? Using straighteners, or curling tongs? Or have you done so in the past, and if so, how long ago was it?

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 02:51 PM
aenigmatica8, are you still heat styling your hair? Using straighteners, or curling tongs? Or have you done so in the past, and if so, how long ago was it?

Hi lapushka! I haven’t touched heat tools (other than a blow dry once in a while on low heat), in many years!

lapushka
February 4th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Hi lapushka! I haven’t touched heat tools (other than a blow dry once in a while on low heat), in many years!

How many? Because if it's 2/3 years that damage is still in your hair and "could" potentially account for the pieces breaking off. Any change in a routine can "cause" those hairs to break off, the ones that are weakest. I mean, I'm going off on a limb here. I don't know how many years ago it was. But hair grows slowly and if your hair is about BSL/MBL, damage that was 5 years ago can still be in there!

Dark40
February 4th, 2020, 03:28 PM
I agree with the others. I doubt that it's the silicones causing the breakage. I use silicones on my color-treated hair all of the time. You might damaged from coloring it too often.

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Here is some Wendy's science to refer to and how Silicones build-up and differences between Silicones

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/riffing-on-silicones.html

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/detergents-which-remove-silicones.html

Also what paulownia says it would be good to track the proteins. Wendy's science-y blog also has tons of read about protein balance.

Thanks for the scientific links! I can’t explain why these cones may be causing problems for me- Maybe it’s the other ingredients! I don’t think I’m protein sensitive though.

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 04:01 PM
How many? Because if it's 2/3 years that damage is still in your hair and "could" potentially account for the pieces breaking off. Any change in a routine can "cause" those hairs to break off, the ones that are weakest. I mean, I'm going off on a limb here. I don't know how many years ago it was. But hair grows slowly and if your hair is about BSL/MBL, damage that was 5 years ago can still be in there!

Hmm well if I had to guess the last time was maybe three years ago? But the most I was doing it before then was once or twice a year, so nothing that should cause significant damage.

lapushka
February 4th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Hmm well if I had to guess the last time was maybe three years ago? But the most I was doing it before then was once or twice a year, so nothing that should cause significant damage.

Have you ever checked your hair for white dots up a strand, so even those 7 inches high, 2/3 inches? Just see if they are there. The hair will form a very sharp angle there indicating future (possible) breakage. If you pull slightly it will certainly let go. But that would be heat damage.

It does not matter how often you heat style, even once can be enough if you did it hot enough to cause damage.

Ligeia Noire
February 4th, 2020, 06:47 PM
I would definitely be looking to the heat, and actually not so much the heat if it was just blow drying but the dye, more closely than silicones, sure silicones prevent anything from entering the hair cuticle if not clarified, but cause that much damage? I do not think so. Only one way to know, ditch silicones for a month, use the most natural conditioner you can find and see if that makes a difference.

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Have you ever checked your hair for white dots up a strand, so even those 7 inches high, 2/3 inches? Just see if they are there. The hair will form a very sharp angle there indicating future (possible) breakage. If you pull slightly it will certainly let go. But that would be heat damage.

It does not matter how often you heat style, even once can be enough if you did it hot enough to cause damage.

I checked and I don’t see any!

aenigmatica8
February 4th, 2020, 08:55 PM
I would definitely be looking to the heat, and actually not so much the heat if it was just blow drying but the dye, more closely than silicones, sure silicones prevent anything from entering the hair cuticle if not clarified, but cause that much damage? I do not think so. Only one way to know, ditch silicones for a month, use the most natural conditioner you can find and see if that makes a difference.

The only thing that irks me is that this only started happening the moment I switched to cone heavy products! I’m going to have to do some experimenting.

Ligeia Noire
February 4th, 2020, 09:32 PM
The only thing that irks me is that this only started happening the moment I switched to cone heavy products! I’m going to have to do some experimenting.

Yeah it might be. There's only one way to know.

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 10:17 PM
Also low porosity can cause hair cuticle to make it hard to open up and if one uses cold water this will just make the hair not drink the hydration while the products sit on top of the cuticle weighting it down and doing nothing.

Some people have gone as far as buying hair steamers to get the hydration in and one culprit could be that one is showering in cold water meaning the cuticle never opens to allow the penetrating products (and hydration) to go in.

Another extreme is when the hair gets waterclogged but this is where the pre-poo oils come handy where as film-forming sealing oils at the end serve the sealing function. Also not all oils are equal just like glycerin as humectant tends to work only between limited dewpoints (where as in humid very hot weather it frizzes moisture in and where as in very low dew it takes the moisture out of hair)

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 10:21 PM
Also just a warning - there are some who claim Baking Soda (alkaline) will change porosity from low to medium but I wouldn't touch the stuff and there is plenty of others warning about this. Instead I use ACV (acidic) rinse twice a month but not for this cause.

YOLO
February 4th, 2020, 11:10 PM
One more thing,

What hardness the water is around there?

Here in Australia, Sydney it is considered "soft" by council authority's words.

But even here it can be hard on the neighbouring house while it's soft the next one.

You can hear all the barista's checking and complaining about the water quality on their area and putting filters in :)

But since it's a new thing and you never moved my bet is still on build-up and the camel's back just broke when changing the formulation(s) as different types of build-ups can complement each other in nasty way.

I try to clarify if I change the products and there is a lot of stuff that cause build-up especially when products are mixed since the formulations between poo/conditioner are supposed to complement each other for different concerns.

I especially cannot understand why some manufacturers put non-water soluble heavy silicones on shampoos as well making conditioners in mixed situations potentially not work after shampooing.

Especially the heaviest non-water soluble such as dimethicone appearing at the top of the list making consumers think their hair is healthy where as it's only coated on plastic layer vs formulation with less shelf-life boosting ingredients doing the same thing that are not plastic.

All I had to ask myself is would I leave a plastic bag on my head until my next wash day :p

It also took me long time to figure out to stay away from Glycerin despite many overseas celeb stylists saying it's good - Sydney is hot and humid but surprisingly some people still like it here but my hair doesn't at least if it's at the top of the list.

btw some people have been raving about Malibu C hard water treatment if that is of concern

btw2 if one likes "silicones" this could be water soluble (goes away with rinsing) instead of the heavy water-insoluble ones like dimethicone (goes away with certain anionic surfactant's only) meaning it's important to differentiate between silicones such as dimethicone/amodimethicone/PEG *cone and their concentration (how high it's on the ingredients list) as well as their co-ingredients when comparing.

The-Young-Maid
February 4th, 2020, 11:21 PM
Did you clarify before you began using silicone products? Maybe it's more from the previous products than the new ones???? Like maybe you have build up that won't let the silicones work properly?

aenigmatica8
February 5th, 2020, 04:10 PM
One more thing,

What hardness the water is around there?

Here in Australia, Sydney it is considered "soft" by council authority's words.

But even here it can be hard on the neighbouring house while it's soft the next one.

You can hear all the barista's checking and complaining about the water quality on their area and putting filters in :)

But since it's a new thing and you never moved my bet is still on build-up and the camel's back just broke when changing the formulation(s) as different types of build-ups can complement each other in nasty way.

I try to clarify if I change the products and there is a lot of stuff that cause build-up especially when products are mixed since the formulations between poo/conditioner are supposed to complement each other for different concerns.

I especially cannot understand why some manufacturers put non-water soluble heavy silicones on shampoos as well making conditioners in mixed situations potentially not work after shampooing.

Especially the heaviest non-water soluble such as dimethicone appearing at the top of the list making consumers think their hair is healthy where as it's only coated on plastic layer vs formulation with less shelf-life boosting ingredients doing the same thing that are not plastic.

All I had to ask myself is would I leave a plastic bag on my head until my next wash day :p

It also took me long time to figure out to stay away from Glycerin despite many overseas celeb stylists saying it's good - Sydney is hot and humid but surprisingly some people still like it here but my hair doesn't at least if it's at the top of the list.

btw some people have been raving about Malibu C hard water treatment if that is of concern

btw2 if one likes "silicones" this could be water soluble (goes away with rinsing) instead of the heavy water-insoluble ones like dimethicone (goes away with certain anionic surfactant's only) meaning it's important to differentiate between silicones such as dimethicone/amodimethicone/PEG *cone and their concentration (how high it's on the ingredients list) as well as their co-ingredients when comparing.

Thanks for your super thoughtful reply! To my knowledge the water here is pretty soft (NYC). I believe that my hair is of normal porosity but the ends are super porous. I’ve been using products with amodimethicone because I read somewhere that the amino group makes them not build up on the hair. I think the garnier fructis leave in may be the problem- I dunno. So do you never use hydrophobic cones? And yikes, I always use baking soda to clarify! Other than raising up the cuticles, is there something else damaging about it?

aenigmatica8
February 5th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Did you clarify before you began using silicone products? Maybe it's more from the previous products than the new ones???? Like maybe you have build up that won't let the silicones work properly?

I did! I clarified super thoroughly. Sadly that’s not it. :/

lapushka
February 5th, 2020, 04:31 PM
What's the exact brand of the products you were using before (shampoo/conditioner) and now, with the silicones? It's not... Devacurl, is it?

Ligeia Noire
February 5th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Bakind soda to clarify and you are worried about silicones?

YOLO
February 5th, 2020, 08:06 PM

Could you list the products or their full list of ingredients before and after and I can perhaps try poke the formulation for you for anything obvious?

What kind of method of application do you use to apply each of the products and on wet or either soaking hair I presume?

I know the application sounds silly but I always go thru thinking that if I find a product too heavy to my super fine hairs :)

Is it the Elvive Dream Lengths Detangling Conditioner after you switched?

Aqua / Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Niacinamide, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil / Castor Seed Oil, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Phenoxyethanol, Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, Isopropyl Alcohol, Alphaisomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum / Fragrance (F.I.L. B227575/1).

Also is it the Garnier Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave in Conditioner you use after too?

AQUA/WATER/EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, AMODIMETHICONE, CETYL ESTERS, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, PYRUS MALUS FRUIT EXTRACT/APPLE FRUIT EXTRACT, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, TRIDECETH-6, ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HCl, HEXYL CINNAMAL, CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE, CITRIC ACID, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM EXTRACT/SUGAR CANE EXTRACT/EXTRAIT DE CANNE A SUCRE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, LINALOOL, AMYL CINNAMAL, TOCOPHEROL, HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM LEMON PROTEIN, CI 19140/YELLOW 5, CI 15985/YELLOW 6, PHENOXYETHANOL, CITRUS LIMON PEEL EXTRACT/ LEMON PEEL EXTRACT, LEUCONOSTOC/RADISH ROOT FERMENT FILTRATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT

Leave-in has the amo- at the top end and also seems heavy with isopropyl alcohol (can be drying)

Rinse-out has some amo- and a lot of proteins and also has some isopropyl alcohol (again drying)

At least it's not the heaviest (dimethicone) silicone :)

It would be good to know what the products before had for the formulation for comparison?

Generic manufacturers load of a lot of preservatives for shelf life and some more than others.

Isopropyl Alcohol would be definitely something I would suspect drying things out.

Other stuff I would avoid there myself are things like CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE .. these seem definitely loaded with whats supposedly intended to be preservatives :)

WonderGirl
February 5th, 2020, 08:23 PM
The Garnier sleek and shine makes my hair brittle and break as well. Garnier products really dry my hair out and makes it straw like.

YOLO
February 5th, 2020, 08:42 PM
The Garnier sleek and shine makes my hair brittle and break as well. Garnier products really dry my hair out and makes it straw like.

Yeah a lot of leave ins, gels and what so not have things like Isopropyl Alc at high concentrations so def one I am always looking out.

Curlsbot.com seems to have a good list of detecting the drying/non-drying alcohols if anyone is curious and wants quick way to detect things. It doesn't take into account the concentration (how high specific ingredient is on the list and relative to others) but if its at the bottom then it may not be an issue if you're lucky.

Leave-in's I like: Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave-In and recently Inahsi Naturals Aloe Hibiscus Leave In

aenigmatica8
February 5th, 2020, 09:10 PM
What's the exact brand of the products you were using before (shampoo/conditioner) and now, with the silicones? It's not... Devacurl, is it?

Haha not Devacurl! I was using a rotation of Shea Moisture, 3MM, Maui Moisture. I realized that certain ingredients were causing tons of build up and my hair was tangling really easily, so that’s why I switched back to cones. Now I’m using the same shampoo with the Elvive color vibrancy conditioner and the garnier leave in. I honestly think it might be the Garnier leave in that’s causing the breakage!! Or at least helping. I didn’t use it when I washed my hair yesterday and I’ve only found one one inch break today. Hmmm!

aenigmatica8
February 5th, 2020, 09:14 PM
Could you list the products or their full list of ingredients before and after and I can perhaps try poke the formulation for you for anything obvious?

What kind of method of application do you use to apply each of the products and on wet or either soaking hair I presume?

I know the application sounds silly but I always go thru thinking that if I find a product too heavy to my super fine hairs :)

Is it the Elvive Dream Lengths Detangling Conditioner after you switched?

Aqua / Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Niacinamide, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil / Castor Seed Oil, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Phenoxyethanol, Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, Isopropyl Alcohol, Alphaisomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum / Fragrance (F.I.L. B227575/1).

Also is it the Garnier Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave in Conditioner you use after too?

AQUA/WATER/EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, AMODIMETHICONE, CETYL ESTERS, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, PYRUS MALUS FRUIT EXTRACT/APPLE FRUIT EXTRACT, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, TRIDECETH-6, ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HCl, HEXYL CINNAMAL, CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE, CITRIC ACID, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM EXTRACT/SUGAR CANE EXTRACT/EXTRAIT DE CANNE A SUCRE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, LINALOOL, AMYL CINNAMAL, TOCOPHEROL, HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM LEMON PROTEIN, CI 19140/YELLOW 5, CI 15985/YELLOW 6, PHENOXYETHANOL, CITRUS LIMON PEEL EXTRACT/ LEMON PEEL EXTRACT, LEUCONOSTOC/RADISH ROOT FERMENT FILTRATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT

Leave-in has the amo- at the top end and also seems heavy with isopropyl alcohol (can be drying)

Rinse-out has some amo- and a lot of proteins and also has some isopropyl alcohol (again drying)

At least it's not the heaviest (dimethicone) silicone :)

It would be good to know what the products before had for the formulation for comparison?

Generic manufacturers load of a lot of preservatives for shelf life and some more than others.

Isopropyl Alcohol would be definitely something I would suspect drying things out.

Other stuff I would avoid there myself are things like CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE .. these seem definitely loaded with whats supposedly intended to be preservatives :)

I’ve been using the color vibrancy conditioner which has virtually the same ingredients! And yep, that’s the leave in! It very well may be the isopropyl alcohol.... I noticed a lot of build up from behentrimonium chloride before I switched to cones!

YOLO
February 5th, 2020, 09:15 PM
If one gets tangles without silicones then the application of the product is a suspect as silicones tend to apply easier to the strands to coat it :p

I would lookup things like "squish to condish" or super soaker and anything between :)

Science for the squish to condish is here:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/conditioning-technique-squish-to.html

aenigmatica8
February 5th, 2020, 09:17 PM

I’m glad it’s not just me!! I know it’s a favorite of so many people, but I think I remember my hair breaking a lot YEARS ago when I used to use it then, too! It seems to make my hair dramatically weaker. Maybe it’s the isopropyl alcohol like YOLO said? But it’s probably multiple ingredients.

YOLO
February 5th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Hair often breaks because it's dehydrated. Isopropyl is one of the leading causation agents for dehydration when it comes to these products. Isopropyl alc does not itself break the hair.

But then those products are loaded with questionable preservatives as you say but isopropyl at high concentration still wins my pick for the drying causation effect losing the elasticity and thus breaking :p

Science here about managing elasticity:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

And word about hydration vs oils and whatever else not:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

There is a simple test to test the lack of hydration leading to lack of elasticity related breaking.

Good pointers here:
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curls/safe-and-all-natural-ways-to-improve-your-hair-s-elasticity

The-Young-Maid
February 5th, 2020, 11:48 PM
I’m glad it’s not just me!! I know it’s a favorite of so many people, but I think I remember my hair breaking a lot YEARS ago when I used to use it then, too! It seems to make my hair dramatically weaker. Maybe it’s the isopropyl alcohol like YOLO said? But it’s probably multiple ingredients.

My hair used to love Fructis until they reformulated and put "Active Fruit Protein" in everything. I can't use Fructis at all anymore because even one use turns my hair into a tangled, knotted mess. It's such a trash formula. The shampoo and conditioner both ruin my hair. Instant protein overload for me.

aenigmatica8
February 7th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Hair often breaks because it's dehydrated. Isopropyl is one of the leading causation agents for dehydration when it comes to these products. Isopropyl alc does not itself break the hair.

But then those products are loaded with questionable preservatives as you say but isopropyl at high concentration still wins my pick for the drying causation effect losing the elasticity and thus breaking :p

Science here about managing elasticity:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

And word about hydration vs oils and whatever else not:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

There is a simple test to test the lack of hydration leading to lack of elasticity related breaking.

Good pointers here:
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curls/safe-and-all-natural-ways-to-improve-your-hair-s-elasticity

I think you’re right! Probably the combination of silicones and isopropyl alcohol just dried the heck out of my hair, even though it made it feel silky. Do you have any protein containing products that you would recommend to help put moisture back in? Preferably vegan ones.

aenigmatica8
February 7th, 2020, 10:14 AM
My hair used to love Fructis until they reformulated and put "Active Fruit Protein" in everything. I can't use Fructis at all anymore because even one use turns my hair into a tangled, knotted mess. It's such a trash formula. The shampoo and conditioner both ruin my hair. Instant protein overload for me.

I totally agree! I mean it’s only three dollars but so not worth the health of my hair. Do you have any products that you would recommend? Like leave ins, shampoos, conditioners, treatments etc.? Maybe we have similar hair. :)

The-Young-Maid
February 7th, 2020, 11:15 AM
I totally agree! I mean it’s only three dollars but so not worth the health of my hair. Do you have any products that you would recommend? Like leave ins, shampoos, conditioners, treatments etc.? Maybe we have similar hair. :)

I would stick to something that doesn't have any protein, at least until your hair goes back to normal. An Herbal Essences conditioner like Hello Hydration or Long Term Relationship are protein-free and have excellent slip. They could protect your hair from any more damage and restore the moisture balance. Dove Daily Moisture is an excellent conditioner, but it contains glycerin and should be used with caution in dry climates. I'll return to using it in the summer, but in the winter it sucks moisture out of my hair. Shampoo wise I'd recommend Herbal Essences Smooth or Tresemme Clean & Replenish. I find both of these to be strong enough to cleanse my sensitive scalp but don't make my hair feel stripped. Again, they are protein-free.

I can use proteins but in small amounts so I won't use certain products over a long period. Of course keeping a protein-moisture balance is important so I don't try to cut protein products out completely. I have a tiny bottle of CHI Keratin serum that I like to use occasionally. But for protein-free I've been enjoying Parachute Jasmine coconut oil and Bajaj Almond Drops(both mineral oil based). They really lock in moisture. I'll layer that over coconut oil or jojoba oil on damp hair.

I hope this helps!

lapushka
February 7th, 2020, 11:17 AM
Hello Hydration (Herbal Essences) has protein. Not much, but it does have it!

The-Young-Maid
February 7th, 2020, 11:18 AM
Hello Hydration (Herbal Essences) has protein. Not much, but it does have it!

INGREDIENTS/INGRÉDIENTS : Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Bis Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Blue 1.

??? Not in the US.

lapushka
February 7th, 2020, 04:40 PM
I thought zea mays was protein.

neko_kawaii
February 7th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Looks like it is used for protein in conditioners. https://cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/zea-mays-corn-starch

The-Young-Maid
February 7th, 2020, 09:34 PM
Lol well that's strange because my hair has never reacted to it. Must not actually do much.

Lady Stardust
February 8th, 2020, 01:49 AM
Lol well that's strange because my hair has never reacted to it. Must not actually do much.

I was avoiding protein because I thought my hair is sensitive to it, and then I realised that it lived flax seed gel which has protein. I read this article (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html) on Sciencey Hair Blog and it says that some proteins might be a problem but it doesn’t mean they all are, and you can get different results depending on which products you use.

aenigmatica8
February 8th, 2020, 06:46 AM
I would stick to something that doesn't have any protein, at least until your hair goes back to normal. An Herbal Essences conditioner like Hello Hydration or Long Term Relationship are protein-free and have excellent slip. They could protect your hair from any more damage and restore the moisture balance. Dove Daily Moisture is an excellent conditioner, but it contains glycerin and should be used with caution in dry climates. I'll return to using it in the summer, but in the winter it sucks moisture out of my hair. Shampoo wise I'd recommend Herbal Essences Smooth or Tresemme Clean & Replenish. I find both of these to be strong enough to cleanse my sensitive scalp but don't make my hair feel stripped. Again, they are protein-free.

I can use proteins but in small amounts so I won't use certain products over a long period. Of course keeping a protein-moisture balance is important so I don't try to cut protein products out completely. I have a tiny bottle of CHI Keratin serum that I like to use occasionally. But for protein-free I've been enjoying Parachute Jasmine coconut oil and Bajaj Almond Drops(both mineral oil based). They really lock in moisture. I'll layer that over coconut oil or jojoba oil on damp hair.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for all the recommendations! I love the smell of jasmine so I’m definitely going to have to pick up some of the parachute oil. I haven’t tried tressemme yet but I will! My hair actually loves protein so maybe I will try the keratin serum too!

The-Young-Maid
February 8th, 2020, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations! I love the smell of jasmine so I’m definitely going to have to pick up some of the parachute oil. I haven’t tried tressemme yet but I will! My hair actually loves protein so maybe I will try the keratin serum too!

Let us know how it goes!:o

I ordered my Parachute oil off Amazon, but you should be able to find it at an Indian grocer near you. If you can't find that; Bajaj Almond Drops is really nice too - but the smell is weird and may not be for you. If you have the chance I'd recommend smelling them in a store. I'm thinking of buying Jasmine EO to add to the Bajaj oil lol

aenigmatica8
February 9th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Let us know how it goes!:o

I ordered my Parachute oil off Amazon, but you should be able to find it at an Indian grocer near you. If you can't find that; Bajaj Almond Drops is really nice too - but the smell is weird and may not be for you. If you have the chance I'd recommend smelling them in a store. I'm thinking of buying Jasmine EO to add to the Bajaj oil lol

I do know some Indian stores! I used to use the Vatika coconut oil which I liked a lot but I never wanted to go out smelling like it lol. Your idea with the EO sounds nice. :)