PDA

View Full Version : My hair has been driving me crazy

groovylocks
January 28th, 2020, 08:25 PM
My hair is quite long now, and recently it has been very tangly, it tangles very easily, and breaks and snaps a lot when I comb it, and gets caught on stuff. After a combing, there are a lot of little short broken bits around me. When I run my hands through my hair, they catch, and there feels like in general a lot of resistance when I either finger comb or comb.

My hair is a very mixed bag; on the top and crown of my head, it is fine strand thickness, fairly straight and lays flat on my head, medium stand thickness waves with a few loose curls in the middle to bottom, and a few coarser strand thickness at the base of my neck. The broken hairs seem to be coming more from the fine parts of my hair, the top and crown.

I also wear my hair in loose low single ponytail most of the time, since I need it out of my face, and not falling in my way when I have to bend down and work with something. I find it difficult to do much else with in terms of a hair style, a single braid down my back it too hard for me to do, I have done two braids on either side, also difficult, my arms get tired. I don't do buns because the weight of my hair pulls down any kind of top hairdo.

I sleep on a silk pillowcase, and try to to over comb, although it is needed at least a couple of times a day, since I shed a lot too, and the shed hairs tangle up in the rest of my hair.

My climate is fairly humid, cold and humid in the winter with occasional dry spells with low humidity and winds, and somewhat humid and hot in the summer, I live close to the coast.

Kalamazoo
January 29th, 2020, 12:05 AM
I think my "Hair Tea" could help you. Steep fenugreek seeds, rooibos, rosemary, catnip, & horsetail in boiled spring water. Cool in fridge. Strain before pouring into a spray bottle. Spray on hair. Follow with a tiny, tiny, tiny!!!! amount of the oil of your choice. (I like argan, or black castor, or Earthly Delight Pomade, or .... Well, I have lots of favorites!)

Hair Tea also tastes good as an herbal tea & helps from the inside to grow healthy hair.

I found it useful to replace all my plastic combs with combs made of wood, or horn, or jade, or cellulose acetate. I don't ever brush my hair these days, although I've inherited a boar bristle brush that I might try out.

(Note: Rosemary, black castor oil, & some wooden combs ~ those made of neem, sandalwood, lignum vitae, cherrywood, etc. ~ darken hair. Select other hair-healthy herbs if you don't want that darkening effect.)

Or you could just spray your hair with water before adding a few drops of oil; but I think my Hair Tea has strengthened & thickened my individual hair strands.

Also, I highly recommend S&D-ing (Search & Destroying). I mean, take a sharp pair of scissors that's dedicated to cutting hair, sit in good light, and go through your hair, looking for broken hairs, trimming each individual strand just before the damage starts.

The silk pillowcase is good. And I assume you're super-gentle when combing.

A ponytail is not very protective styling, but if braids & buns don't work for you, then they're out. Maybe a satin bonnet? Or wearing a satin shirt? Or maybe a series of scrunchies for a banded ponytail?

If I run into a tangle when combing my hair, I rub cocoa butter on my comb's teeth, &/or melt cocoa butter onto the tangle (holding the tangle against the cocoa butter & letting the warmth of my hand melt the butter), & then pull the knot apart, one hair at a time. When I get to a knot that I can't separate, I use the S&D scissors & cut off the least hair possible.

By "cocoa butter", I mean 100% pure cocoa butter, with no added ingredients.

I'm sure other oils could also be used as detanglers, but cocoa butter's my current favorite.

Everybody's hair is totally unique, so what works for me, may or may not work for you.

SleepyTangles
January 29th, 2020, 02:33 AM
Just listing the usual suspects:
- Build up? Maybe your hair needs a clarifying wash followed by your fave deep conditioning treatment.
- The comb? Maybe a Tangle Teezer would help you, or switching to a wooden comb with wider spaced teeth?
- I'd also suggest a drop of oil to help you detangle (I prefer to oil over slightly dampened hair).

I also want to add that for me combing carefully took alot time, starting from the very bottom and gradually going up. There was no way to skip it.

lapushka
January 29th, 2020, 02:45 AM
This might be a long shot... I don't know, but if you're a bit like me? Try using heavier conditioners (like the Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences). For me, that always helps after the fact, even when it gets detangled after washing. When I style it, there is a marked difference between styled hair when a light(er) conditioner was used and this one. (But I am using stuff up and have no choice.)

I used a very light conditioner this go-around though (Pantene Pro-V aqua light) and my hair is in *knots*. OMG, the knots... the knots! Ugh!

Kalamazoo
January 29th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Since you have different hair textures, perhaps you need to section your hair & treat each hair type the way it prefers? Maybe someone with lots of different hair types could advise you. Cjk? Please pick up the red courtesy phone in the lobby...

Arciela
January 29th, 2020, 07:09 AM
Mine did this when I bleached it! I had to cut the damage off slowly ; ; have you tried the lazy wrap bun with a hair stick or nautilus bun? My hair is very thick and heavy yet when I do those buns it feels rather weightless.

I am not too great at learning hairstyles so it took me a few tries of watching videos to do it but in the end I managed and now I can do it with my eyes closed :flower:

cjk
January 29th, 2020, 07:32 AM
Maybe someone with lots of different hair types could advise you. Cjk? Please pick up the red courtesy phone in the lobby...

I wish I had a suggestion, specifically, but I don't. Though I might at least be able to give a little guidance.

Clarifying wash. It's like a reset. If nothing else it helps strip the hair of any coatings or build-up, allows moisture to penetrate, and over time increases the health and improves the condition of each individual strand.

Unfortunately my solution to dealing with multiple textures is to overpower them. On my last wash day I did dutch braids which, when removed, had set braid waves into my hair. It disrupts my natural curl pattern but imposes a very kinky wave on the straighter hairs, essentially it evens out my texture.

Sectioning for multiple hair textures. It's not a bad idea, intuitively I started doing something similar. My braided half up is one way that I regularly deal with this since the hairs on top are straighter, underneath are ringlet curls.

In my case, I think my canopy is the oldest and most environmentally damaged hair that I have, and no amount of conditioner or treatment will make that hair pop into curly ringlets.

Though while experimenting I did discover that flaxseed gel applied to my hair activated the curl pattern in ways that nothing else did. Provided me almost no hold, but my curls were popping.

Except for the lazy octopus on top of my head.

In your case I would bet that the damage was mechanical, combing multiple times a day for instance. And rubbing against the collar of your coat.

I don't even usually comb when I braid. My hair does not tangle, but I attribute that to my hair being in generally good condition.

One thing I've seen mentioned on this forum and others is velcro ends. Basically, split hairs and damaged ends have a tendency to wrap around each other and make little knots.

It's possible you need to trim those out.

And though I've not tried it I've seen mention of catnip tea. A forum search should turn up lots of information.

MusicalSpoons
January 29th, 2020, 08:06 AM
What comb do you use?

What products do you use? (I'm thinking protein - maybe you need something with enough protein or the right type [perhaps amino acids, specifically] to hold moisture and elasticity better. Or maybe you need less of it, I don't know.)

Have you tried detangling wet with lots of conditioner? For many curlies that's the only way to do it.

The resistance you mention signifies something is probably quite off if you didn't have that before. Maybe clarifying is the best starting point.

Faraniel
January 29th, 2020, 09:20 AM
My hair gets easily tangled too but that's probably because I dye it a lot.

Dark40
January 29th, 2020, 03:10 PM
I agree with SleepyTangles. Maybe you need to use a clarifying shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner with cones in it, and also a good detangling spray. Like, "Mane N Tail." It really works wonders on my mother's hair! Hers is always tangled after every wash. She has to use a special conditioner and the Mane N Tail Detangling Spray. Then, her Isoplus Leave-In Conditioner. It's also a wrap lotion as well but you can use it for a lot of things.

WonderGirl
January 29th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Do you ever sit with your hair against the sofa or chairs? Maybe you can wear your hair to one side instead of in a bun. A side bun is nice because you have control of making the braid with ease and it looks nice with long hair. In winter, the static can make hair brittle so always put oil on last 7 inches, just enough oil to coat the weakness. I put Keri lotion on my ends and they look like new. Change your hair brush to a different material perhaps. Your low ponytail is rubbing against coats and clothes and gets static so many wear it in side braid and that way it's easy to coat with rich lotion or oil on the braid part and no one can tell and your hair can be stronger that way.

WonderGirl
January 29th, 2020, 05:09 PM
My hair gets easily tangled too but that's probably because I dye it a lot.

That's why products with silicones can save your hair and make life easier. Silicones make it easy to comb your hair and protects and coats it. I like OGX coconut serum as long as it has silk proteins because it is thicker and silkier for hair coating. Tangles mean you need to give hair a coating of some kind slip so that it doesn't break. That's why I love products with mineral oil because it coats hair beautifully and makes it look healthy. The mineral oil or heavy oils fill in the bonds that are broken in hair and makes it look nice

GoddesJourney
January 29th, 2020, 05:37 PM
The dreaded velcro ends. I would say buildup, but it may be just friction damage since it is long enough to rub on everything and the ponytail doesn't help you with that. That is likely the case since you say you are having breakage.

I would suggest throwing your ponytail over your shoulder (to the front) whenever you sit in a chair, couch, car or lean on anything where your hair is between your back and any surface.

A heavy conditioner or lot of oil can help salvage the damaged ends. This will also help keep the velcro ends from damaging itself further due to more friction.

Also, my dad has baby fine hair and it used to break all the time. I gave him a horn comb and it's happy now.

groovylocks
January 30th, 2020, 11:43 PM
Thanks all, I think my hair has been rubbing on chairs and stuff, I have to remember to pull it off to my side.

For a while now, trying to avoid sulfates and silicones. I am also aware that hard water can have a negative affect too. I live in an area with hard tap water and high humidity.

What I have been using for a while is Giovanni triple tea tree treat shampoo; it is a clear sulphate free shampoo that is rated as a more clarifier than regular shampoo. Then I have used Cantu products coconut curling cream, made of coconut oil and shea butter and is made as a leave in conditioner.

To comb, I have been using a Hercules Sagemann large natural rubber black wide toothed comb. During dryer weather, I do get static in my hair.

I use Cantu cocoanut curling cream on my hair after I get out of the shower, while damp, and have used it in place of a rinse out conditioner. This worked while I was using a gym shower; I needed to shower and wash my hair quickly before I caught the bus home, and doing a traditional conditioner to rinse out after a shampoo added more time in the shower for me.

I have also used this routine while using public showers at the beach, I wash my hair after going in the ocean in the summer, but would need to be done quickly as there were usually long lines at the showers on the beach, and I needed to be done quickly. I would shampoo with the Giovanni tea tree shampoo, and then rinse, leave the showers then add the coconut cream when I got back to my beach chair to condition comb my hair with this leave in conditioner.

I have needed to be quick with my hair washing/care, and also, carrying around lots of hair products in their bottles is not practical both at the gym or the beach.

While this has worked for me to some degree, I would and still need a detangler spray aid to comb my hair, I can no way comb it with out trouble even when going slow and starting at the bottom ends the next day after washing.

I read about build up, and changed my routine from what I have described above to see if it would help combat hard water.

Here is a new routine I tried;

I used the same Giovanni tea tree shampoo, I then added Giovanni deep conditioner.

For a lighter detangler I then tried shea moisture coconut oil spray detangler, since I read that coconut oil is lighter, but it was not as effective as the on the go fragrance.

I lastly tried Carols Daughter black vanilla spray detangler, and it seemed to work to begin with, but noticed my hair looked a little duller, and this is when it got very tangly and breaking. After using this detangler and adding the Giovanni conditioner to my routine, seems to be when I began to have some real trouble with my hair.

Out of these detanglers, I have found the shea moisture on the go hair fragrance, with shea butter and frankincense essential oil scent to be the most effective, and have gone back to it. A little of it goes a long way, and it works, it is like combing air after I use it. I do notice my hair feels a little stiff after a day or 2 after using the hair fragrance, but it keeps the tangles down.

For now, I have gone back to my old routine of the Giovanni shampoo, and just using the cantu leave in in place of a rinse out conditioner, and the shea moisture on the go fragrance as a detangler.

What ever routine I use in the shower, I need it to a be a wash and go, fairly simple and quick.

Faraniel
January 31st, 2020, 03:32 AM
That's why products with silicones can save your hair and make life easier. Silicones make it easy to comb your hair and protects and coats it. I like OGX coconut serum as long as it has silk proteins because it is thicker and silkier for hair coating. Tangles mean you need to give hair a coating of some kind slip so that it doesn't break. That's why I love products with mineral oil because it coats hair beautifully and makes it look healthy. The mineral oil or heavy oils fill in the bonds that are broken in hair and makes it look nice

Damn and I stopped buying stuff with silicones thinking it was bad for the hair :D

GoddesJourney
January 31st, 2020, 05:45 AM
Damn and I stopped buying stuff with silicones thinking it was bad for the hair :D

It depends on your hair. Mine gets destroyed by silicones. It dries out and starts to curl and split somewhere between APL and BSL. Other people can't live without it and the effects are only positive.

Obsidian
January 31st, 2020, 07:52 AM
Since you have hard water, you might also need a chelating shampoo which will remove the mineral build up.

Unless your hair is sensitive to sulfates and silicones, there is no reason not to use them. They are perfectly safe and often very helpful.

SleepyTangles
January 31st, 2020, 08:39 AM

My virgin hair reacts super bad to silicones as well. My newly bleach damaged hair seem to like a bit of simethicone here and there.