PDA

View Full Version : ii/iii at waist

GoddesJourney
January 28th, 2020, 08:06 AM
For those of you who are around the 4" ponytail circumference, what buns worked for you at around 29"? I am now comfortably back at waist after my post pregnancy chop and a few small trims. I've noticed I can finally do the hypno bun. The Spidermom bun doesn't quite work yet. The figure eight and infinity buns now stay okay. Wet hair buns stay better obviously.

I bought some interesting hair sticks and some flexi 8s and I'm enjoying buns for the first time ever. I've been just braiding for years and years. I had it at hip for a bit but I didn't have the time or money for hair toys and updos. My old spin pins for the work buns don't do well for other stuff.

I'm looking to grow to TBL as a goal. If I like it there, I'm considering classic. Anyway, let me know at least in what order each bun started to work for you so I know what to try and when! Thanks.

CopperButterfly
January 28th, 2020, 08:46 AM
My ponytail circumference is 3.75 these days, but I wasn't able to do anything but a disc bun with 29 inches. I now do lazy wrap and orchid bun frequently, so you might try those.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 28th, 2020, 10:10 AM
The Nautilus bun and Lazy Wrap bun worked well for me and I'm 4.25"

jane_marie
January 28th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I have learned that I need to place my bun at the top of my head to avoid headaches.

With this placement and my thickness/layers I can usually manage an untwisted cinnabun. I still can't seem to hold the cinnabun reliably with a single stick but I have found that multiple claw clips or a fork work well. On good days I can get it up with two stick and on bad days the only thing that works is securing the base of the cinnabun with a satin scrunchi then hiding the scrunch under my hair using a hair stick.

ETA. My hair was 27" with a circumference around 5" last time I measured but I'm growing out layers so. :shrug:

leayellena
January 28th, 2020, 11:20 AM
It also depends on how much your hair compresses in a bun (or braid). Should I call it ii/iii at 3.55" (9 cm)?
And of course the taper or layers thins out your hair so you can create buns with high thickness at shorter lengths

jane_marie
January 28th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Mistake please ignore.

jane_marie
January 28th, 2020, 11:58 AM
mistake. double post. ignore please. :)

GoddesJourney
January 28th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention that I have a straight hem and maybe a little bit of one layer left, but it might just be taper from when my postpartum hair thinned out.

CherryFrizz
January 28th, 2020, 02:34 PM
I have a 4 and a bit inch ponytail, and, at 29 inches I could do a nautilus, and I think it's called a spock bun. I needed to use two sticks, instead of one.

But, mainly, I did a cinnabun, using smaller claw clips. It was (and still is) more secure for me.

I had a good amount of taper at 29 inches, though.

But, I'll say, it really didn't take much more length to be able to do quite a few buns. 32 inches, with taper, was pretty magic in that, suddenly, buns held! Now that I’ve trimmed off all my taper, I am back to the two stick buns, though. :(

GoddesJourney
January 28th, 2020, 08:24 PM
I have a 4 and a bit inch ponytail, and, at 29 inches I could do a nautilus, and I think it's called a spock bun. I needed to use two sticks, instead of one.

But, mainly, I did a cinnabun, using smaller claw clips. It was (and still is) more secure for me.

I had a good amount of taper at 29 inches, though.

But, I'll say, it really didn't take much more length to be able to do quite a few buns. 32 inches, with taper, was pretty magic in that, suddenly, buns held! Now that I’ve trimmed off all my taper, I am back to the two stick buns, though. :(

Which buns were you able to do at 32"?

Joules
January 29th, 2020, 12:09 AM
My pony circumference is 3.8 inches and buns at waist are a pain. I can just about manage a cinnamon bun but it takes me a lot of pins to take down the sticking out ends (my hemline is a soft U, V hemline is much easier in that sense) and they never look right. A bun with a hundred pins will never look right. I have a decent amount of taper too, it makes the job a bit easier, but it's still a royal PITA.

None of the buns that requite sticks and forks work, no nautilus, no lazy wrap, no disc, nothing. I pretty much abandoned buns and do braided thingies instead ever since I chopped off my hair back to waist. I can't wait to reach hip. That's the one thing that makes me regret chopping. My ends were disgustingly thin, but they pretty much held my updos. I miss being able to throw my hair in a cinnabun in 30 seconds.

CherryFrizz
January 29th, 2020, 12:19 AM
Which buns were you able to do at 32"?

Unfortunately, now that I've trimmed out my taper, it's basically the same buns at 32 inches as at 29 inches.

But, at 32 with the taper, I started going through the hairstyle of the month threads, and l found I could do so many of them! Granted, my technique wasn’t perfect, but it was fun! Even things you might not consider a bun, such as milkmaid/Heidi braids, elling woman braid/bun.

Arciela
January 29th, 2020, 07:12 AM
The Nautilus bun and Lazy Wrap bun worked well for me and I'm 4.25"

This worked for me as well :)

I'm 6.5" last I checked. At TBL is when it became very easy. I miss that length. Oh well..soon! :flower:

Ophidian
February 4th, 2020, 09:36 AM
I started doing a lot of cinnablobs held with forks around waist :). My hair had just gotten too long for my go-to folded braid with a Ficcare to work, and wasn’t quite long enough for many of the other buns I tried (Gibraltar, spidermoms...) Granted my standards are pretty high—I have to be able to do it in less than 30 seconds and it has to hold all day with a single fork. In addition to aforementioned cinnablob, I got a lot of mileage out of a lazy wrap bun held with flexi—it held well and distributed the weight better than a stick alone. I could also do a figure 8 held with several Amish pins or a Ficcare, but couldn’t get the weight balanced right with the latter and found the former to be too fiddly.

ETA: I have fairytale ends. If they were blunt I think bunning would be a whole different story.

Milady_DeWinter
February 4th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Disc buns should work... They worked for me at waist, and I'm 5,5", but I also had layers so I think that helped; at TBL i still can't achieve a nautilus though. Very thick hair sucks at such things.

The-Young-Maid
February 4th, 2020, 11:20 AM
The only bun I could get to work at that length was a braided bun with u pins. My hair wasn't as thick as it is now though. I had lots of taper back then.