PDA

View Full Version : Oddly shaped hairs mixed in. What does that mean?

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 07:25 AM
My strands are mostly very thick but I have a few here and there that go from being thick to thin and back. It's hard to explain....

Imagine an hourglass, it's wide on the top and bottom but thin in the middle. I have quite a few hairs that are shaped like that.

Why?

Is this normal?

Is it a sign that my hair is in need of something?

I'll add a photo if I can find one online that illustrates what I'm talking about.

Here's a a quick picture I drew up.

https://i.imgur.com/SFXOqHv.png?1

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 07:31 AM
whoops I added a post to the thread instead of editing my initial post.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 27th, 2020, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure that it means anything, it's probably part of normal hair variation and just one of those things. IMO.

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure that it means anything, it's probably part of normal hair variation and just one of those things. IMO.

Okay, I thought that maybe it might be a sign that those parts are damaged or that maybe my body was slightly under nourished when that part of the hair was made. :shrug:

TreesOfEternity
January 27th, 2020, 07:38 AM
I have plenty of those! No idea what it means either.

My hair is fine and the wide parts of those hairs is very very coarse and rough to the touch.

It snaps more easily as well.

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 07:42 AM
I have plenty of those! No idea what it means either.

My hair is fine and the wide parts of those hairs is very very coarse and rough to the touch.

It snaps more easily as well.

How interesting! My hair is coarse and I find that breakage often happens at the thinnest part of the strand! Sometimes I even get mid hair splits just in those parts.

I wonder if that's because those thinner parts can't hold up to my coarse hair routine and for you the thicker parts aren't suited for what do for fine hair.

blackgothicdoll
January 27th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Most of my hairs have fluctuating widths, often very closer together. Others are completely smooth. I have no idea either, it's odd.

lapushka
January 27th, 2020, 08:32 AM
It's been in so many threads already. Variation in hair is perfectly normal, jane_marie.

I have a mole on my head, and right next to it, I have a thick, black, coarse, 4c zzz hair growing. It grows about 10 inches and then usually I find it among the sheds. It's odd that way. Follicles can do weird tricks on you, due to damage, or other factors.

But we all have this variation on our heads. No need to worry. :flower:

shelomit
January 27th, 2020, 02:12 PM
I've had these my whole life. The only notable thing about them is that they seem to develop split ends much more often than the rest of my hair, which I have always figured is just because they are very tightly kinked (more curl = less strength = more damage). But it's a very small minority of hairs, so I don't worry about it either way.

lapis_lazuli
January 27th, 2020, 02:44 PM
My first impression was that you had a few random coarse hairs but then I realized your overall texture is C. I have several very textured strands scattered throughout my hair, and some are like what you drew. I always play with them between my fingers. I think you don't have to worry; hair can be weird. :)

MusicalSpoons
January 27th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Oh yes, the kinky wiry hairs - for many of us they're much coarser than the rest of our hair, but it sounds like for you the main difference is in the texture (though of course they could still be coarser than the majority of your hairs). Do they feel very different?

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Oh yes, the kinky wiry hairs - for many of us they're much coarser than the rest of our hair, but it sounds like for you the main difference is in the texture (though of course they could still be coarser than the majority of your hairs). Do they feel very different?

I've never noticed them feeling different but I just isolated one and ran it between my fingers and you can feel the bumps whereas the others are quite smooth. The main thing is that they seem to be just a tiny bit wavier than the others. where the strand is thinner seems to be where that hair changes direction.

GoddesJourney
January 27th, 2020, 04:00 PM
I have these. They are random kinky 4s I have on my head. My hair is relatively thick (each strand) and dark, but these are course and darker. They don't seem to grow quite as long and they're usually around the crown area. Is what it is. They stick up sometimes. Haha.

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 04:09 PM
I have these. They are random kinky 4s I have on my head. My hair is relatively thick (each strand) and dark, but these are course and darker. They don't seem to grow quite as long and they're usually around the crown area. Is what it is. They stick up sometimes. Haha.

That's interesting. Mine are pretty close to the wave pattern of the rest of my hair (maybe closer to 2a/2b than 1c/2a) they are just inconsistent widths. I mostly worried they might be indicative of intermittent improper nutrition but it seems like that's not the case. :shrug:

MusicalSpoons
January 27th, 2020, 06:11 PM
I've never noticed them feeling different but I just isolated one and ran it between my fingers and you can feel the bumps whereas the others are quite smooth. The main thing is that they seem to be just a tiny bit wavier than the others. where the strand is thinner seems to be where that hair changes direction.

Yes, that's exactly what mine do, and I think hair with all-over more texture is more likely to do that as well - I want to say torsion? But I'm not sure and can't think too clearly right now.

In terms of texture, mine are consistently kinky (not type 4, just lots of changing direction) and many of them are curly as well. However most are tightly wavy but not really with a regular wave pattern, if that even makes sense - they wave at whatever angles they want, not a nice regular ~~~~~~. They certainly are interesting!

TreesOfEternity
January 27th, 2020, 10:08 PM
That's interesting. Mine are pretty close to the wave pattern of the rest of my hair (maybe closer to 2a/2b than 1c/2a) they are just inconsistent widths. I mostly worried they might be indicative of intermittent improper nutrition but it seems like that's not the case. :shrug:

I’ve thought about that for a while. That, or the result of a hair expanding because of mechanical damage, then coming back to its original form, thus some parts becoming thin after the forced elongation and it’s structure being disrupted.
I’m really curious about what the real reason is. What I know is that I didn’t have these, or I don’t remember having these, when my hair was short.

lapushka
January 28th, 2020, 02:20 AM
I’ve thought about that for a while. That, or the result of a hair expanding because of mechanical damage, then coming back to its original form, thus some parts becoming thin after the forced elongation and it’s structure being disrupted.
I’m really curious about what the real reason is. What I know is that I didn’t have these, or I don’t remember having these, when my hair was short.

If it's short, you can't "study" it as much. ;)