PDA

View Full Version : Dying hair purple with gentian violet

January 26th, 2020, 03:37 AM
https://youtu.be/A_H7WMQHwDI

https://tattwa.pl/2013/03/jak-zostac-wyrzutkiem-o-dziwnych-wlosach-instruktaz.html

I assume it'll kill your hair, heheh. Pretty interesting though. I wonder if it does anything good for dandruff... Bleeds like hell everywhere though, I'm sure. And drying, no?

Obsidian
January 26th, 2020, 04:57 AM
I've been using gentian violet to tone my blond hair for a few months now. Just takes a few drop in conditioner to make a nice lavender.
I did try to do a pastel lavender once when my hair was still bleached, followed a youtube video. Hair came out super splotchy, had to fade it.

Its never dried my hair but again, I just use a few drops. It doesn't bleed the way I use it but dang, don't let the straight liquid touch anything.

I actually need to tone again, I should try to make a little purple streak and see what happens.

Ylva
January 26th, 2020, 05:18 AM
Is this the stuff that I remember some of my friends and classmates having on their warts when we were kids?

January 26th, 2020, 05:21 AM
Is this the stuff that I remember some of my friends and classmates having on their warts when we were kids?

Yeah, yeah. That's why I thought it might be beneficial in dandruff and some cases of hair loss if it's fungal... Maybe. Dunno. Or it's just crazy idea and it'll bleed everywhere and dry my hair out.

Ylva
January 26th, 2020, 05:24 AM
Yeah, yeah. That's why I thought it might be beneficial in dandruff and some cases of hair loss if it's fungal... Maybe. Dunno. Or it's just crazy idea and it'll bleed everywhere and dry my hair out.

Frankly, this sounds like a much better idea to me than conventional hair dye (especially anything that doesn't just stain), even if it might be a little drying when you do it!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 26th, 2020, 05:25 AM
Sounds better to me too! As long as you can bear the mess it makes everywhere.

SleepyTangles
January 26th, 2020, 10:21 AM
https://youtu.be/A_H7WMQHwDI

https://tattwa.pl/2013/03/jak-zostac-wyrzutkiem-o-dziwnych-wlosach-instruktaz.html

I assume it'll kill your hair, heheh. Pretty interesting though. I wonder if it does anything good for dandruff... Bleeds like hell everywhere though, I'm sure. And drying, no?

Pravana Chromasilk Violet has a one and only dye molecule: methyl violet, aka gentian violet.
As most synthetic dyes, it's not the best healthwise but It has antimicotic and antimicrobic properties.

I also was wandering if the reason I didn't suffer from dandruff episodes this year Is because I've started using It.
As for ease of use, inside a deposit dye Is neither drying nor damaging. The damage comes from the Bleach I have to use beforehand.

Stub
January 26th, 2020, 10:24 AM
I put a gentian violet streak in my hair once years ago. It sadly did not last through a couple shampoos.

Kalamazoo
January 26th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Webmd says gentian violet has been withdrawn in Canada, due to safety concerns. All I know is what I found from :google:-ing "gentian violet ingredients". Various websites say: "Don't cover it with plastic, this increases the risk of skin irritation;" "Do NOT get it in your eyes!" "Minimize skin contact;" "Do NOT use on large areas of skin," etc.

So it's kind of a neat idea, but there are risks involved. (It's above my personal comfort level of risk tolerance, so I personally won't try it.)

Just do your research.

Ylva
January 26th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Webmd says gentian violet has been withdrawn in Canada, due to safety concerns. All I know is what I found from :google:-ing "gentian violet ingredients". Various websites say: "Don't cover it with plastic, this increases the risk of skin irritation;" "Do NOT get it in your eyes!" "Minimize skin contact;" "Do NOT use on large areas of skin," etc.

So it's kind of a neat idea, but there are risks involved. (It's above my personal comfort level of risk tolerance, so I personally won't try it.)

Just do your research.

Then again, how bad is conventional hair dye in that regard? :laugh:

Wavelength
January 26th, 2020, 11:07 AM
Webmd says gentian violet has been withdrawn in Canada, due to safety concerns.

That's news to me! My husband picked some up at the pharmacy a couple of months ago. He doesn't remember if he had to ask the pharmacist for it or not, but he didn't have any trouble.

Different provinces have different rules -- I'm not sure WebMD has the most recent (or complete) information.

January 29th, 2020, 02:41 AM
Pravana Chromasilk Violet has a one and only dye molecule: methyl violet, aka gentian violet.
As most synthetic dyes, it's not the best healthwise but It has antimicotic and antimicrobic properties.

I also was wandering if the reason I didn't suffer from dandruff episodes this year Is because I've started using It.
As for ease of use, inside a deposit dye Is neither drying nor damaging. The damage comes from the Bleach I have to use beforehand.

Thank you, that's really interesting! I *knew* they must have used it in some commercial dye, it's so pigmented. Very interesting.

Then again, how bad is conventional hair dye in that regard? :laugh:

Well, for someone with really, REALLY virgin hair who never used dye (only henna/amla for a while), flat irons, curling irons, (uh... Maybe I'm more tomboyish that I get credit for o_O) etc, etc it's a bit different. I haven't used much cosmetics on my face/body either and I tell you, most 'healthy', 'gentle' things just don't work on me because my skin and hair gets crazy. At most I can use baby lotion and wash my hair with water, so yeah. But the same cosmetics worked wonders on my mom and grandmother who used cosmetics and dyes for years, they made their skin and hair healthier. So YMMV. I also did tons of DIYs and some are fantastic, some... Not so much.

Still, it's pretty cool and very pigmented... Dirt cheap too. I'm mostly worried it's drying or maybe poisonus if used in too large quantities (I have thick hair so would probably use a lot).

Just do your research.

Oh no. Thanks. Yeah, I've been worried about potential toxicity... Still, was hoping it'd disinfect my head. But maybe it's too harsh :(. My mother was worried about that and tried to convince me to not do it, heh.

SleepyTangles
January 29th, 2020, 02:52 AM
Thank you, that's really interesting! I *knew* they must have used it in some commercial dye, it's so pigmented. Very interesting.

Well, for someone with really, REALLY virgin hair who never used dye (only henna/amla for a while), flat irons, curling irons, (uh... Maybe I'm more tomboyish that I get credit for o_O) etc, etc it's a bit different. I haven't used much cosmetics on my face/body either and I tell you, most 'healthy', 'gentle' things just don't work on me because my skin and hair gets crazy. At most I can use baby lotion and wash my hair with water, so yeah. But the same cosmetics worked wonders on my mom and grandmother who used cosmetics and dyes for years, they made their skin and hair healthier. So YMMV. I also did tons of DIYs and some are fantastic, some... Not so much.

Still, it's pretty cool and very pigmented... Dirt cheap too. I'm mostly worried it's drying or maybe poisonus if used in too large quantities (I have thick hair so would probably use a lot).

Oh no. Thanks. Yeah, I've been worried about potential toxicity... Still, was hoping it'd disinfect my head. But maybe it's too harsh :(. My mother was worried about that and tried to convince me to not do it, heh.

I think asking for a dandruff medication to your MD Is going to be less bothersome than gentian violet. Even inside a dye Is mighty strong.
What about ACV rinses? My sensitive but dandruff probe scalp used to like them a lot.

Well, since we are talking about gentian violet... A bit of purple galore :o
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39989&d=1580291893

Kalamazoo
January 29th, 2020, 06:30 AM
For scalp health problems, maybe Thyme Out? https://www.victoriahealth.com/product/Thyme-Out/12830 ... but it won't dye your hair purple, and that really is a lovely color!

But, as 01 said, "Well, for someone with really, REALLY virgin hair who never used dye (only henna/amla for a while), flat irons, curling irons, (uh... Maybe I'm more tomboyish that I get credit for o_O) etc, etc it's a bit different. I haven't used much cosmetics on my face/body either and I tell you, most 'healthy', 'gentle' things just don't work on me because my skin and hair gets crazy. At most I can use baby lotion" ... um, no, I can't even use baby lotion ...

For me, Thyme Out is good. But if I want purple hair, I'll just buy a wig. I think I would tire of it very quickly! and want my own hair back again the next day. I'd only want purple hair as part of a costume, not for everyday real life.