PDA

View Full Version : Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

FrayedFire
January 22nd, 2020, 04:46 PM
It was just a few degrees above freezing today, so I've been wearing this tube headband all stretched out and tied in a knot at the back to wear over my bun as an imprompu... snood? I got complimented and questioned on it, and explained I was wearing it not for religious reasons, but because it was cold, obviously, and because my hair is really long - I offered to show them, and got quite the awed response. They were so nice!

Kalamazoo
January 22nd, 2020, 05:19 PM
Way to go! :bunny:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2020, 05:58 AM
Awesome! Do we get a photo?

FrayedFire
January 23rd, 2020, 06:30 AM
Uhm... yeah, ugh, I hate trying to upload photos... here!

https://ibb.co/PMS6Szz

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2020, 06:42 AM
That does look very pretty, and so protective, too!

Vacurlylady
January 23rd, 2020, 07:00 AM
Love it!!!

Tinyponies
January 23rd, 2020, 07:03 AM
Really nice! Is it a Buff?

FrayedFire
April 10th, 2021, 01:18 AM
Really nice! Is it a Buff?

I guess so! I wasn't sure, but according to Google, it fits the description.

shelomit
April 12th, 2021, 09:16 PM
Aw, that sounds so sweet!

I really like the look/functionality of your "impromptu snood." Ordinarily I wear a headscarf, but sometimes I throw on just a bonnet (the kind you wear under a hijab) or the top half of an al-amira if I'm scrambling to get out the door. This looks like the same idea, but looser and comfier.

FrayedFire
April 12th, 2021, 11:44 PM
Aw, that sounds so sweet!

I really like the look/functionality of your "impromptu snood." Ordinarily I wear a headscarf, but sometimes I throw on just a bonnet (the kind you wear under a hijab) or the top half of an al-amira if I'm scrambling to get out the door. This looks like the same idea, but looser and comfier.

It's super comfy, it's also been missing for months! Hoping it turns up once I get all my laundry done, as I figure that's probably where it is hiding. I was thinking to get some sort of actual underscarf, but I don't know what I want!

shelomit
April 13th, 2021, 10:51 AM
I was thinking to get some sort of actual underscarf, but I don't know what I want!

This (https://middleeasternmall.com/collections/hijab-caps/products/womens-large-khatib-cotton-snood-underscarf-hijab-cap-in-18-colors) is my favorite kind I've ever gotten. I have them in four colors now and wear one most days. The back of it is large enough to accommodate a big ol' bun without feeling at all squished, which is so often a problem!

Many people whom I know prefer the tube type to the cap type, though.

FrayedFire
April 17th, 2021, 12:25 AM
This (https://middleeasternmall.com/collections/hijab-caps/products/womens-large-khatib-cotton-snood-underscarf-hijab-cap-in-18-colors) is my favorite kind I've ever gotten. I have them in four colors now and wear one most days. The back of it is large enough to accommodate a big ol' bun without feeling at all squished, which is so often a problem!

I actually rarely wear a bun when I scarf, I usually just braid it and either let it dangle or wind it around my neck. I'm not sure which style I would prefer, but I love the lacey ones, so pretty!

Kat
April 17th, 2021, 03:00 PM

Oh, I've never seen that kind of cap before... that looks interesting! And tidier to hold the hair.

I actually rarely wear a bun when I scarf, I usually just braid it and either let it dangle or wind it around my neck. I'm not sure which style I would prefer, but I love the lacey ones, so pretty!

Yes, I would love to wear a scarf sometimes, but I don't know what to do with my hair under it. It seems no matter what I do, I end up with a big bump at the back of my head that makes my head either look elongated, or like I'm wearing the scarf to cover up some kind of awful growth on my head. (I know, some people use special padded shapers to purposely achieve this look, but I've never liked it on me; I prefer it to look smooth and sleek and not like "HEY I'M TRYING TO CONCEAL A BUNCH OF HAIR UNDER HERE!" Probably in part because I have a small head, so large hair/hats/scarves overwhelm my head/face... I mean, come on. My hair isn't even thick, so why does it take up so much space in all of the situations I don't want it to and none of the situations where I do?? {Buns and trying to put it under a scarf: annoyingly large. Braids and such: annoyingly thin.)

I've tried buns... I've tried Heidi braids... I've tried tucking braids into a close-fitting snood at the back of my head... no joy. *sigh*

shelomit
April 22nd, 2021, 01:36 PM
Yes, I would love to wear a scarf sometimes, but I don't know what to do with my hair under it. It seems no matter what I do, I end up with a big bump at the back of my head that makes my head either look elongated, or like I'm wearing the scarf to cover up some kind of awful growth on my head. (I know, some people use special padded shapers to purposely achieve this look, but I've never liked it on me; I prefer it to look smooth and sleek and not like "HEY I'M TRYING TO CONCEAL A BUNCH OF HAIR UNDER HERE!" Probably in part because I have a small head, so large hair/hats/scarves overwhelm my head/face... I mean, come on. My hair isn't even thick, so why does it take up so much space in all of the situations I don't want it to and none of the situations where I do?? {Buns and trying to put it under a scarf: annoyingly large. Braids and such: annoyingly thin.)

I've tried buns... I've tried Heidi braids... I've tried tucking braids into a close-fitting snood at the back of my head... no joy. *sigh*

Two thoughts:

1. Coronet braid? Since you can make it fall on the back of the head rather than around the crown, it wouldn't have the "weird growth" effect of Heidi braids. I wear coronet braids a lot, with or without the headscarf, and I find that it conceals the bulk of hair that I have very effectively.

2. I don't recall what this hairstyle is typically called, but if I want to make the back of my head look really "flat" I sometimes put in a ponytail, split it into three or four sections, and pin down each section a la a cinnabun. The kind of thing, I mean, where you pin one curve of one section, and then the same curve of the next section, and so on and so forth, into a spiral. I feel like I'm explaining this so badly, but I know it's a common-ish style and has some sort of name! Ugh.

MusicalSpoons
April 22nd, 2021, 04:21 PM
2. I don't recall what this hairstyle is typically called, but if I want to make the back of my head look really "flat" I sometimes put in a ponytail, split it into three or four sections, and pin down each section a la a cinnabun. The kind of thing, I mean, where you pin one curve of one section, and then the same curve of the next section, and so on and so forth, into a spiral. I feel like I'm explaining this so badly, but I know it's a common-ish style and has some sort of name! Ugh.

Vortex bun?

FrayedFire it looks really good! Sometimes I wish I could stand having things on my head to wear both pretty and practical things like that.

Kat
April 22nd, 2021, 05:30 PM
Two thoughts:

1. Coronet braid? Since you can make it fall on the back of the head rather than around the crown, it wouldn't have the "weird growth" effect of Heidi braids. I wear coronet braids a lot, with or without the headscarf, and I find that it conceals the bulk of hair that I have very effectively.

There's nooooo way I'd ever manage a crown/coronet braid, lol. I've never even tried. I think for the second, you're describing a vortex bun? Those can be a bit flatter for me, but not that much, plus they're huge so I think it might contribute even more to making me look like a have a large elongated head? My head is just weird, I guess. Maybe there's something about the shape of it that accentuates the look.

I'm actually wondering if a tucked French braid might not work... or just might make it worse!

shelomit
April 22nd, 2021, 10:17 PM
Vortex bun?

FrayedFire it looks really good! Sometimes I wish I could stand having things on my head to wear both pretty and practical things like that.

I'm actually wondering if a tucked French braid might not work... or just might make it worse!

D'oh, yes, it's "vortex bun." Thank you!

Honestly, a tucked French braid sounds ideal for minimizing bulk!

FrayedFire
April 23rd, 2021, 12:04 AM
I've done a coronet braid, it's very easy, do sidebraid, then pin around head (I can't French braid much so I don't know how to do a crown but I like the easy version). However, I wouldn't recommend it for a headscarf. If your braid goes annoyingly thin, could you try leaving it loose underneath?

Kat
April 23rd, 2021, 06:21 PM
D'oh, yes, it's "vortex bun." Thank you!

Honestly, a tucked French braid sounds ideal for minimizing bulk!

Kind of, but, it does increase the size of my head and make it look larger in back. But at least it's more consistent than looking lumpy with a bun or something. I'm going to have to try it one of these days...