PDA

View Full Version : vinegar rinse question

intothemist1999
March 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I've always assumed it was a final rinse (?)

I think I must've read something somewhere recently that made me wonder if it comes before conditioning (in a shampoo & condition routine)....or can.

Just wondering.

Thanks!

SilverLocks
March 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I've use it after the conditoner of a CWC, but then add a final leave-in condish.

AlleyKitten
March 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I do it before my final conditioner on the theory that I don't want to rinse out all of my conditioner while I'm rinsing and rinsing to get the vinegar smell out of my hair. Since the reason I do it is to balance the pH of my hair and smooth down all the little "scales", and conditioner is usually a little acidic as well, I figure the conditioner won't interfere with the vinegar.

kimberlily
March 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
My vinegar rinse is the last thing I do before getting out of the shower :)

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I do a vinegar rinse, leave it in, then a lightweight leave-in conditioner.

AJoifulNoise
March 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
I do a vinegar rinse after I condition. Then I rinse it outta my length, but not my scalp... Because that's where I really need it. To fight itchies.

redcelticcurls
March 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you, intothemist1999, for starting this thread. I just started playing with ACV rinses last week and was curious to see what others did.

I see here that it varies, just like everything else.....

It does help with scalp itchies though. I've been trying WO (or is it still WO if you use ACV) on my scalp and have noticed itchies from time to time.

kissedbyfyre
March 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Either or, experiment and see which works best for you.

I've always done it at the end of my routine, I let it sit for a few minutes then I rinse it out. I've forgotten to rinse before and found that for some reason my hair felt stiff and looked piecey later on.

WavyGirl
March 23rd, 2008, 01:57 AM
I'm doing modified WO now in that I rinse with ACV right before stepping out of the shower. I just leave it in - the smell fades as it dries. I did use it when I was CWCing the same way. I always add my leave-ins after the rest of me is dry so they just go on top of the ACV. I have tried rinsing it out, but then it didn't really do anything for my hair, it has to be left in to work for me.

Velvettt
March 23rd, 2008, 02:05 AM
YMMV, as we say here. I have tried several of the variables and what works best for my hair is : wash, rinse, condition, rinse, acv, rinse.

If I leave the acv in, it makes my hair stiff. If I use it before the conditioner, there is no effect whatsoever compared to not using it at all. You just gotta experiment and find out what works for YOUR hair.

edited to add: I also have bad results from using any other vinegars, including white vinegar, even though it's all acetic acid. Go figure.

sibylla
March 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I put vinegar together with condish when I do CO. In this way it lathers good. I leave it in a bun for 5 min. Then I wash it of together and leave a little condish in.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
I use acv in my cwc before the last c.I have both acv and honey in my rinse.

lil_irish_angel
March 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I ACV (with tea tree and rose water) the very last thing I do right before I get out of the shower. And thats right after I use CV bar (avocado Oats & shea) I then do not need a conditioner for the first time in my life

Unicorn
March 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I tend to use the ACV as a final rinse. Pouring over for 5 - 10 minutes as a clarifier.

Unicorn

intothemist1999
March 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I ACV (with tea tree and rose water) the very last thing I do right before I get out of the shower. And thats right after I use CV bar (avocado Oats & shea) I then do not need a conditioner for the first time in my life

Interesting!!

How often do you use your vinegar rinse?

TammySue
March 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I use white vinegar mixed with water after conditioning, then a quick final rinse with just water on the length.

FrannyG
March 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I use ACV as a final rinse, no rinsing with water afterward.

MadPirateBippy
March 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I rinse with vinegars of many types (not balsamic) and then I rinse with ice-cold water from the tub spout on the length only to knock the smell down and give me some more shine and split resistance.