PDA

View Full Version : How can I protect my hair this winter given my particular set of circumstances?

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 09:46 AM
I need some advice about protecting my hair. I mentioned most of this in the no trim challenge.

It's winter here. The highs have been in the upper teens lower 20s many of the days and it's been -2 to -5 F in the mornings/evenings. It's not a wet cold either. The air is so dry I have been getting daily nosebleeds.

Due to the house remodel we have been sleeping in the basement which gets a draft from the backdoor and is not heated. Heated blankets keep us warm and a humidifier runs 24-7 in an attempt to keep the air moist but the blanket does nothing for my hair and the humidifier runs out of water in the middle of the night. Plus my hair refuses to be effectively bunned still so there is no way to protect it.

My hair was healthy before the temps dropped but now it's covered in splits, Ls, and white dots. :(

Today I'm going to have to cut my hair... at least an inch and a half to get the damage off.

I would love some ideas on how to protect it after I do. At my present length I cant get a reliable bun to work and I'm afraid that's only going to be worse when I cut. Single claw clips are not big enough for my hair (I have made multiple purchases) and my hair is too heavy for multiple clips to hold.

ETA- I plan to put a demi over what I have now. I'm hoping that will provide some protection. Other ideas would be massively appreciated.

2nd ETA- I have layers cut from waist to just below chin so braids shred on me and are not protective at all.

blackgothicdoll
January 19th, 2020, 09:54 AM
Do you oil your ends and keep them tucked at night?

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 09:56 AM
I oil my ends but I'm not sure what I should be keeping them tucked into. My best bun lasts all of two hours tops on me.

I do have satin covers and pillowcases though.

blackgothicdoll
January 19th, 2020, 10:03 AM
What sort of oils do you use? You probably want an oil that can penetrate the strand. Sunflower oil, or an oil mixed with shea butter are good for that. They slowly absorb into the hair as to not leave it greasy forever, but can also be a protective coating while being absorbed.

Tuck the hair into itself, if possible. I tend to sleep with two braids and tuck the ends back into the top of the braid. Not very sexy but it keeps the ends from drying out. You could try multiple satin scrunchies to hold all of your hair up and tuck the ends under the scrunchies. I don't imagine bonnets would be comfortable for you, so even a single braid with the ends tucked into a satin scrunchie or two, however many it takes to cover the ends.

It sounds like satin pillowcase won't do much if the surrounding air is still dry.

As a last resort, some have had good results dealing ends with mineral oil or baby oil.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 10:07 AM
What sort of oils do you use? You probably want an oil that can penetrate the strand. Sunflower oil, or an oil mixed with shea butter are good for that. They slowly absorb into the hair as to not leave it greasy forever, but can also be a protective coating while being absorbed.

Tuck the hair into itself, if possible. I tend to sleep with two braids and tuck the ends back into the top of the braid. Not very sexy but it keeps the ends from drying out. You could try multiple satin scrunchies to hold all of your hair up and tuck the ends under the scrunchies. I don't imagine bonnets would be comfortable for you, so even a single braid with the ends tucked into a satin scrunchie or two, however many it takes to cover the ends.

It sounds like satin pillowcase won't do much if the surrounding air is still dry.

As a last resort, some have had good results dealing ends with mineral oil or baby oil.

I use argan and jojoba oil.

I'm not sure if braids are going to work very well as my hair is layer from waist to chin. so braids result in massive shred. "neutral:

DO you think there is a way I could oil and then wear a scarf to bed?

Kat
January 19th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Warm snood? You could always put a satin sleep cap inside if you're worried there will be friction.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Warm snood? You could always put a satin sleep cap inside if you're worried there will be friction.

Do you have any shop suggestions? I did an etsy search and it's just giving me scarves for some reason.

ETA- Do you think something like this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/549065599/muted-purple-stretch-velour-hair-snood?ref=shop_home_active_16) might work?

spidermom
January 19th, 2020, 10:43 AM
What I do at night is put my hair into a top of head, looped ponytail (don't pull the last loop all the way through) using a scrunchie. I don't know whether or not you use silicone-containing products, but I find they help a lot, both with static and protecting my ends.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Thinking outside the box here, but I have occasionally slept with a plastic bag around my hair, kept in place with a cotton headband (buff-type thing) when my hair was over oiled. I just thought if you managed to moisturise your hair then sleep in plastic (it doesn't have to go over your ears, of course - that can be unbearably noisy) it would certainly retain the moisture.

Ylva
January 19th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Cut out products with humectants.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Cut out products with humectants.

I just checked out a list and the only thing I use on my hair that counts is honey when I deep condition.

Do you think that the honey is problematic?

Also, I thought humectants keep moisture in.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2020, 11:44 AM
I just checked out a list and the only thing I use on my hair that counts is honey when I deep condition.

Humectants facilitate 'transfer' (I cannot think of the actual word) of water from wetter to drier. So in something like an SMT, they help pull the moisture from the products to the hair. However if you have just humectant on your hair in a very dry environment, it will help pull the moisture from your hair into the air.

I think it's more of a problem with leave-ins, though if you have conditioner with humectants a way up the ingredients list it could be worth stopping using it for a bit helps. It really depends if the humectant is going to be completely rinsed away or not.

Ylva
January 19th, 2020, 11:44 AM

I would imagine the honey to be a problem, yes.

Humectants only move moisture in if the air is humid. If it is dry, moisture is removed from the hair.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Humectants facilitate 'transfer' (I cannot think of the actual word) of water from wetter to drier. So in something like an SMT, they help pull the moisture from the products to the hair. However if you have just humectant on your hair in a very dry environment, it will help pull the moisture from your hair into the air.

I think it's more of a problem with leave-ins, though if you have conditioner with humectants a way up the ingredients list it could be worth stopping using it for a bit helps. It really depends if the humectant is going to be completely rinsed away or not.

I would imagine the honey to be a problem, yes.

Humectants only move moisture in if the air is humid. If it is dry, moisture is removed from the hair.

Okay thank you both for the advice on that front.

Ligeia Noire
January 19th, 2020, 12:03 PM
A bit of advice here. It has been more than twenty years since i had hair that short but there are octupus claw clips that are large enough for your hair. That Karina one would be sufficient to contain your hair and protect it by putting it on any bun. I need two but one of that style would be sufficient for your type and length and they blend well too. I have always wore my hair up even at shorter lengths and claw clips definetely help. I would say Upins but given your layers that might be easiest.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 12:16 PM
A bit of advice here. It has been more than twenty years since i had hair that short but there are octupus claw clips that are large enough for your hair. That Karina one would be sufficient to contain your hair and protect it by putting it on any bun. I need two but one of that style would be sufficient for your type and length and they blend well too. I have always wore my hair up even at shorter lengths and claw clips definetely help. I would say Upins but given your layers that might be easiest.

I forgot about that karina clip! Thank you so much for the reminder Ligeia Noire!

So do you think that claw clip with ends snugly tucked in the day and one of these snoods at night would be sufficient?
https://i.etsystatic.com/5822326/r/il/77e311/1258106026/il_794xN.1258106026_202y.jpg

Or do you think I should just go all out and wear the clip with the snood over it in the day?

I'm really stressed about the whole thing. I gained a lot of length in the last few months and I don't want to continually have to cut half og the growth off at the end of winter.

Zesty
January 19th, 2020, 12:40 PM
I'd cover it at night and also as much as possible while outside during the day. For overnight, silk/satin cap/bonnet/snood/whatever over lightly oiled hair (I second the recommendation for sunflower oil but most oils will do, whatever your hair likes) leaves my hair feeling really lovely the next day, even in cold dry weather, plus could help keep you warm while you're in the basement! I got my sleep cap from AdorabellaBaby on Etsy (expensive but worth it to me). The ones you've linked look fine to me. Anything with a silky interior is ideal. And a satin-lined beanie (or other type of hat with the lining) would be great for when you're out.

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2020, 02:16 PM
I'd also suggest tying a silk scarf around the pillow.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 02:49 PM
I'd cover it at night and also as much as possible while outside during the day. For overnight, silk/satin cap/bonnet/snood/whatever over lightly oiled hair (I second the recommendation for sunflower oil but most oils will do, whatever your hair likes) leaves my hair feeling really lovely the next day, even in cold dry weather, plus could help keep you warm while you're in the basement! I got my sleep cap from AdorabellaBaby on Etsy (expensive but worth it to me). The ones you've linked look fine to me. Anything with a silky interior is ideal. And a satin-lined beanie (or other type of hat with the lining) would be great for when you're out.

Thanks so much for the help! :)

Ligeia Noire
January 19th, 2020, 05:04 PM
Buy a nice and big claw clip and try both methods and see what works. A french twist, a cinna bun, French braid and clip it. There are so many ways. Bobby pin the layers that might poke out. I have layers too and would do that. Now they are too long to bother. The static around here is madening too and i can't imagine wearing any hair length down in these conditions. I don't like to cover my hair though. So no valid advice there but that claw clip or even the Goody brand ones, that JJJ uses, are huge and they will hold your hair. I think keeping it up is already a good start. A bit of aloe gel to smooth it down would help too.

Kat
January 19th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Do you have any shop suggestions? I did an etsy search and it's just giving me scarves for some reason.

ETA- Do you think something like this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/549065599/muted-purple-stretch-velour-hair-snood?ref=shop_home_active_16) might work?

It looks really comfy! You could even use a beret or a large fleece beanie, depending on how much space your hair takes up

(And yes, in recent years, for some reason I have seen infinity or cowl type scarves called a "snood." I perhaps have been known to yell at my computer screen, "THAT'S NOT A SNOOD!!!")

ETA: examples from Amazon of hats I think might have room to put hair inside (I searched mostly "slouchy hat").

https://www.amazon.com/Be-Your-Own-Style-Cable/dp/B07JVFX8H1/

https://www.amazon.com/muco-Womens-Beanie-Knitted-Beanies/dp/B078MG2V1Q

https://www.amazon.com/Janey-Rubbins-French-Fleece-Winter/dp/B07P5ZWDW6/

https://www.amazon.com/JOYEBUY-Stylish-Cotton-Slouchy-Beanies/dp/B0748H5ZNW/

https://www.amazon.com/Senker-Slouchy-Beanie-Oversized-Women/dp/B07FT2T6K3/

https://www.amazon.com/Fedciory-Slouchy-Beanie-Oversized-Oatmeal/dp/B07W4NFMP3/

Joules
January 20th, 2020, 06:27 AM
I'd suggest keeping the ends heavily oiled. Oil does lock the moisture in. Make sure that the hair underneath the oil is moisturized though (maybe apply oil right after washing first and then as it dries a little apply a bit more). Also, silicones are great.

Other than that, I have no idea. Maybe try to keep it physically protected, like, wear a scarf over it?

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 09:15 AM
I have nothing more to add, all has been said. :)

I just wanted to give you courage and wish you success with the renovations. My parents are going to do that this year as well, and I hope it all goes well. Good luck!

jane_marie
January 20th, 2020, 09:48 AM
I have nothing more to add, all has been said. :)

I just wanted to give you courage and wish you success with the renovations. My parents are going to do that this year as well, and I hope it all goes well. Good luck!

Oh thank you so much! It's bee a real mess.

Apparently once you fix one thing you are obligated to fix everything up to code. It's a real bummer but when it's done the house is going to be so fantastically different.

shelomit
January 20th, 2020, 08:23 PM
I second (third?) everybody's advice about covering your hair. When it's been bitterly cold recently, I've stuffed my hair into a snood and then put a wool cap over it. Sometimes I tie my cap on with a handkerchief under my chin to get it to stay all night. I guess that's sort of like a poor man's satin-lined beanie ( ; Here you can pick up a plain satin snood for about $2 at any drugstore, so I imagine that would be the same in NE (although of course spring for the nice cream one if you like it!). Although I typically braid it and have been experiencing recently with bunning, it works okay with the hair loose, too--when I do that, I just kind of twirl my hair up at the top of my head just before I lie down, and it stays there all night without getting uncomfortable or all that tangly in the morning. I can do the same with a cotton headscarf rather than a snood if I care to, but honestly it's a bit of a pesky scarf-tying technique to manage that without actually securing the hair, and I have a lot of practice when it comes to headscarves : P

I had shared this advice earlier in a different thread, but a Ute friend out here helped me hack the "humectants in dry air" problem. His advice was to use them only when your hair is very thoroughly wetted and to stay in a super-wet environment while it's in your hair. I've been putting in leave-ins in our tiny bathroom with a towel stuffed under the floor and the fan off ( ; And then rinse extremely thoroughly. He advised adding a little oil while the hair's still wet, although I'm currently waffling on whether that's a help or a hindrance to my lighter-weight hair. It makes it hard to do a long deep-condition, but since I've been following his advice my frizz and split-end problems have almost disappeared. I can't imagine that a little honey in a deep treatment once in a while, handled carefully, would be bad for your hair in this weather. I've been attentive to thorough rinsing with my regular conditioners too, since they both have cetyl alcohol, so that may be part of what's helping.

Best wishes, stay warm!

CherryFrizz
January 20th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Have you considered running a second humidifier at night? You could run both at a lower setting, so that they didn't run out of water in the night. Having two would make up for the lower setting, in humidifying power.

Lizabeth94
January 20th, 2020, 10:21 PM
Satin lined sleep cap or winter hat! Also I would leave the damaged ends on if possible if removing them will make it harder to use protective styles. You can always cut them off later down the road. :cool:

Ditzy Rose
January 20th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I feel your pain. I tend to survive winters by doing plenty of deep conditions (weekly, if I have the time), buns, hundreds of hours of search and destroy with my sewing scissors. I just recently reached knee, so I'm trying to hold off on needing a trim til spring or summer so I don't lose length.. but we'll see, I guess. I wish you luck on your endeavors against this disgusting cold.