PDA

View Full Version : Towel Drying Between Washing and Conditioning??

leafygreens18
January 18th, 2020, 04:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone does this? (I WCC) I was watching this video:

https://youtu.be/eDeEzmbSVOQ (see 5:15)

and I've since started drying between shampooing and conditioning, I don't know if it does anything but it feels better. Anyone else?

lapushka
January 18th, 2020, 04:45 PM
I never do that. I think it's an unnecessary step and it wastes a towel. :lol:

Ylva
January 18th, 2020, 05:38 PM
I used to do it in the past but haven't for at least a year now. I use much less conditioner when the hair is soaking wet because the application is so much easier.

desisparkles
January 18th, 2020, 07:07 PM
I have never heard of this. I find the whole seaweed feeling you strive for during the conditioning step, a la curly girl method, where you put condish on wet hair and even add more water if needed so it "feels like seaweed" to be what really works for my hair though so I won't be experimenting with this one. but maybe diff hair types can benefit from this?

also, I have conditioner stocked for years so I'm not in the trying to save my conditioner mode. If anything, I'm ready to use up the one I have open so I can try a new goodie, ha.

Laurab
January 18th, 2020, 08:02 PM
I've heard of this, but will never do it, largely because I'm not stopping the water/getting out of the shower for any reason :laugh:
Sometimes I'll squeeze out the water if it's like a deep conditioner coming up and I want it to be concentrated in my hair, but for the most part I don't worry about it.

misspage
January 18th, 2020, 10:00 PM
I used to do this. It required more manipulation to really work in the product, therefore I wasted a lot more conditioner and it kinda pulled some of my hair out. The more water, the more slip :cool:

Panthera
January 18th, 2020, 10:35 PM
It would be a disaster for naturally dry and tangly hair. shudder: I need as much water as possible to get enough slip for detangling.

Suortuva
January 19th, 2020, 01:50 AM
I have done it sometimes in the past, because some conditioners and masks says: use in towel dried hair.

But, in my opinion, it's really waste of towel and time. I could never see any benefits.

Garnetgem
January 19th, 2020, 01:55 AM
Never tried this and seeing as it takes me an hour to wash/condition as it is then it would take me longer,i just wring out the water before i condition.

Jo Ann
January 19th, 2020, 03:17 AM
I do this--have for years (even pre-LHC). I don't see any benefit from putting conditioner on sopping wet hair. To me, it's just wasting money and conditioner to put it on dripping wet hair.

All I do is wrap the towel around my hair and head, squeeze the excess water out, then put the conditioner on my hair--no extra manipulation. Granted, I do have an old towel I use just for this purpose.

Of course, YMMV.

lapushka
January 19th, 2020, 04:25 AM
I do this--have for years (even pre-LHC). I don't see any benefit from putting conditioner on sopping wet hair. To me, it's just wasting money and conditioner to put it on dripping wet hair.

All I do is wrap the towel around my hair and head, squeeze the excess water out, then put the conditioner on my hair--no extra manipulation. Granted, I do have an old towel I use just for this purpose.

Of course, YMMV.

I always wring / squeegee my hair out, so it's never sopping wet, Jo Ann, and the conditioner goes on fine. I don't see the need for a towel for that, personally. :) But that's me. :D

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2020, 05:50 AM
I guess that towel-drying hair before conditioner would make it more rich/creamy/fatty than hydrating (there is going to be less water between the lipidic film and the hair shaft).
Maybe helpful if you need less moisture, or you are dealing with a conditioner thatīs too light. May not be ideal if your hair tends to be limp and get greasy fast.

Chromis
January 19th, 2020, 09:43 AM
That would be waaaay too much faffing with miles of wet hair for me!

Kat
January 19th, 2020, 10:09 AM
I squeeze some water out of my hair so I don't just get my conditioner dripping out as water drips out, but it doesn't get as dry as towel drying would do.

Too dry and it would be hard to work the conditioner through-- past experience. I'm aware that with wet-ish hair, it's possible that it may only be an illusion that I'm getting much/any conditioner on all of my hair, but I try to find the happy medium between "on wet hair I'm spreading around too little to make a difference" and "on dry hair I am trying to work in like half a bottle of conditioner."

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2020, 11:30 AM
I squeeze some water out of my hair so I don't just get my conditioner dripping out as water drips out, but it doesn't get as dry as towel drying would do.

Too dry and it would be hard to work the conditioner through-- past experience. I'm aware that with wet-ish hair, it's possible that it may only be an illusion that I'm getting much/any conditioner on all of my hair, but I try to find the happy medium between "on wet hair I'm spreading around too little to make a difference" and "on dry hair I am trying to work in like half a bottle of conditioner."

Ditto. I actually used to hand-squeeze out as much water as possible before applying conditioner (never went so far as a towel) but for quite a while now I've been squeezing out less water. I find I need slightly less conditioner and can still get the seaweed feeling. I put my hair up in a loose LWB while I do the rest of my showerly duties, and while it does run/drip a bit after a few minutes I don't mind - I'd rather that after having used less conditioner in the first place, than have to towel-dry and use 2-3x as much just to have it not run or drip. In fact using it on slightly wetter hair seems to make it feel better anyway; if it made it feel worse I'd have changed back to squeezing out more thoroughly!