PDA

View Full Version : 60's/70's/Hippie hairdo ideas

Siv
January 17th, 2020, 07:40 AM
So! I'm going back to college for a second degree on Monday (yikes!!!) and I just got assigned a "hazing team" for the first month of studies... our team theme is going to be "60's, 70's, and hippie". (I assume all teams are different time eras) Our theme seems perfect for a hairy gal like myself :p (something like renaissance and medieval would've been quite hairy as well of course, but I'm content!) I'm thinking I'll do more hippie/longhaired costumes, than, say, disco costumes because I'd love to incorporate the hair. BUT, what do you guys think would be some good hairdo's? I'd love to have some variation.

So far I've come up with a couple of different outfits:

- bootcut jeans + cropped peasant top
- vintage "prairie dress" (used to be mom's in the actual 70's)

And the hairdos:

- half up with accent braids hanging around the face
- wild and loose
- hairband?

Any ideas? (for both costumes and hair, but primarily hair!)

jane_marie
January 17th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Just normal braids would also be good.

Cg
January 17th, 2020, 08:19 AM
From someone from that era:

Wild and loose hair with or without a Southwestern-America beaded headband would be sooooo right. And don't brush your hair any too well.

I like your prairie dress or cropped peasant top ideas. Cloddy platform shoes and hip-hugging bell-bottoms that ideally are so ridiculously wide that they could trip you in wind. A huge, ugly, loud, neon-colored fake flower somewhere.

cjk
January 17th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Neon was the eighties. Flower, yes, but not neon.

Everything else sounds right. I'm assuming they want stereotypes, not reality.

Hippies usually looked like they smelled in real life. Don't go for anything elaborate in terms of styling. The movement was a rejection of societal standards.

Go look up a few episodes of Mary Tyler Moore. Mary was a professional woman, Rhoda was more hippie.

Dharma and Greg, as well. Her parents were aging hippies.

Both would be good models.

sophia_
January 17th, 2020, 09:14 AM
I always think of Melanie Safka when I think of hippies, but she just had bangs and wore her hair down, sometimes she'd have a headband.

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 10:12 AM
From someone from that era:

Wild and loose hair with or without a Southwestern-America beaded headband would be sooooo right. And don't brush your hair any too well.

I like your prairie dress or cropped peasant top ideas. Cloddy platform shoes and hip-hugging bell-bottoms that ideally are so ridiculously wide that they could trip you in wind. A huge, ugly, loud, neon-colored fake flower somewhere.
And MOI :flower:

:agree: Exactly

Hippies usually looked like they smelled in real life.

Of course we USUALLY :tbear:

Ah the sterotypes :rollin:

Jo Ann
January 17th, 2020, 10:26 AM
And the hair was (mostly) stick-straight, as I recall, but there were some "renegades" like Janis Joplin (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=janis+joplin&id=79551A24BF9B82D951999AC17B36FDACEDB7CFD0&form=IARRTH&first=1&cw=1117&ch=565) who had wavy/wurly hair, mostly from braids. Although, Haight Ashbury (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Haight-Ashbury+1967+Women&FORM=IRTRRL) in San Francisco seemed indicative of '60's counter-culture :tmi:

Regarding the American Indian-beaded headband, the narrower, the better! During winter, though, I would avoid the mini-skirts and mini-dresses, unless you have an ankle-length coat to wear over them.

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 10:31 AM
And the hair was (mostly) stick-straight, as I recall, but there were some "renegades" like Janis Joplin (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=janis+joplin&id=79551A24BF9B82D951999AC17B36FDACEDB7CFD0&form=IARRTH&first=1&cw=1117&ch=565) who had wavy/wurly hair, mostly from braids. Although, Haight Ashbury (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Haight-Ashbury+1967+Women&FORM=IRTRRL) in San Francisco seemed indicative of '60's counter-culture :tmi:

Regarding the American Indian-beaded headband, the narrower, the better! During winter, though, I would avoid the mini-skirts and mini-dresses, unless you have an ankle-length coat to wear over them.

Oh yes, the memories of freezing my @$$ off with my body shirt, mini skirt, and tall boots in Winter; thankfully the coat was long and that helped ;)

My hair was always parted in the middle and tucked behind my ears most of the time...WL/Hip...it is longer now as I am closing in on 70 :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2020, 10:49 AM
I remember having a pair of flared jeans (oh, the battle I had with my mother to be allowed to wear jeans... lol) with a Peace emblem patch on the rear pocket. Hair was worn loose and parted in the middle, nothing fancy!

lapushka
January 17th, 2020, 10:52 AM
I was a child in the 70s, like a small child. :) I remember overalls and pigtails. :D

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 11:28 AM
I remember having a pair of flared jeans (oh, the battle I had with my mother to be allowed to wear jeans... lol) with a Peace emblem patch on the rear pocket. Hair was worn loose and parted in the middle, nothing fancy!

:thumbsup: The bell bottomed hip huggers with the body shirts and fringed suede belts....so cool ;) :rockerdud:

EdG
January 17th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Long loose hair parted in the middle, possibly with a headband. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_Are_Burning and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Drum_(album)

ETA: Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Roses I have all three albums, bought used nearly three decades after they first came out. :rockerdud
Ed

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 12:10 PM
Long loose hair parted in the middle, possibly with a headband. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_Are_Burning and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Drum_(album)
Ed
I used to use these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YQX1SO?tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1) rolled up as head bands and occasionally as a kerchief/bandana tied behind my head at the nape under my hair :flower:

EdG
January 17th, 2020, 12:18 PM
I used to use these rolled up as head bands and occasionally as a kerchief/bandana tied behind my head at the nape under my hair :flower:You are authentic. :hifive:

I am a decade too young to be a hippy, but my oldest memories are from that period. It was a great time to be a young person. :)
Ed

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 12:52 PM
You are authentic. :hifive:

I am a decade too young to be a hippy, but my oldest memories are from that period. It was a great time to be a young person. :)
Ed

:agree: it sure was a great time :o

The Summer of '69 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gHfNYHTMkwere the best days of my life[/I] ~ I was a [B]Free Bird ;) :rockerdud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

Oh dear....I have derailed the thread :doh:

Please forgive the old bird...I digress these days ~ but thanks for the memories :flowers:

Back on topic...check out the hair and clothes in the video :lol:

EdG
January 17th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Oh dear....I have derailed the thread :doh:

Please forgive the old bird...I digress these days ~ but thanks for the memories :flowers:Everyone reading this thread should be grateful for what the hippies accomplished. They set out to change the world, and they did. :)
Ed

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Everyone reading this thread should be grateful for what the hippies accomplished. They set out to change the world, and they did. :)
Ed

I still pray each day for WORLD PEACE and BROTHERLY LOVE (as I did back then) ...there is still so much to do and time is flying by now... life is so fragile with the state of things being what they are :pray:

Pinterest has some cute styles and authentic pics from back in the day https://www.pinterest.com/pin/316800155007588243/

sophia_
January 17th, 2020, 01:52 PM
I never lived through the era but my God, was there some great music!
Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Laura Nyro, etc... some fantastic minds... and great hair on many of them! :p Buffy Sainte-Marie's hair in this video is absolutely gorgeous, though her clothing isn't particularly hippie (she's only adjacent to the movement it seems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgZmVvs-Xk

Jo Ann
January 17th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Seeing as we just had the 50th :shocked: anniversary of Woodstock, I'm sure you can find some great '60's ideas out there. If you can stand listening to it :dizzy: , disco fashions weren't so bad either--check out some Donna Summer, Bee Gees or Pointer Sisters, etc, videos.

Oh, and don't forget the love or puka beads! Or a crocheted vest :p

cjk
January 17th, 2020, 02:14 PM
It's really very simple.

Hair!

Hair, long beautiful hair. Shining. Streaming. Silken, flaxen, waxen.

Shoulder length or longer; longer hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Halter neck dresses with frills...

Vacurlylady
January 17th, 2020, 02:58 PM
I forgot about halter dresses! Definitely platform shoes. 🌼🌻🌸✌🏻❤️

Siv
January 18th, 2020, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone so much! I got super busy and didn't come back to this thread until now - I love the conversation it sparked! :love:

My main take-away is I already look like a hippie. LOL! I've got the middle part, the long hair, curtain bangs, paisley kerchiefs... No bell bottoms or platforms, but I think a bootcut and slightly platformed boot might do okay! What about clogs? Maybe that's a Scandinavian thing but I talked to my mom about it this morning and she mentioned she used to wear clogs all the time back then. Anyway, it's January so I'll definitely only break those out for indoor events...

spidermom
January 18th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Bell bottom jeans/pants.

Hair parted straight down the middle with a band around the head at forehead level.

Groovy Granny
January 18th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone so much! I got super busy and didn't come back to this thread until now - I love the conversation it sparked! :love:

My main take-away is I already look like a hippie. LOL! I've got the middle part, the long hair, curtain bangs, paisley kerchiefs... No bell bottoms or platforms, but I think a bootcut and slightly platformed boot might do okay! What about clogs? Maybe that's a Scandinavian thing but I talked to my mom about it this morning and she mentioned she used to wear clogs all the time back then. Anyway, it's January so I'll definitely only break those out for indoor events...

LOL ~ thanks for the memories it sparked ....and for tolerating the digression :o

That's cool you already rock the look ;)

Oh sure.....clogs, platforms, mules were all IN....sounds like you are good to go girl :thumbsup:

Rock on :rockerdud :lol:

Cg
January 18th, 2020, 01:42 PM

Nod, nod, yes, I had platform clogs. Clump, clump, clump every step.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 18th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I used to have clogs - I loved them - so comfortable!

Robot Ninja
January 18th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Going to have to agree with all the hair parted down the middle with a headband suggestions, if you're going for the stereotype. That's the first thing that pops into my head when I think "hippie hair."

Everybody is saying to wear bell-bottoms, but if you can't find any, I'd think a long flowy skirt would be appropriate too, no? (Actual hippies and ex-hippies, help me out, were those a thing?) Bootcut jeans read more modern, and bootcut hiphuggers are so late '90s/early 2000s.

Groovy Granny
January 18th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Going to have to agree with all the hair parted down the middle with a headband suggestions, if you're going for the stereotype. That's the first thing that pops into my head when I think "hippie hair."

Everybody is saying to wear bell-bottoms, but if you can't find any, I'd think a long flowy skirt would be appropriate too, no? (Actual hippies and ex-hippies, help me out, were those a thing?) Bootcut jeans read more modern, and bootcut hiphuggers are so late '90s/early 2000s.

I still wear long flowy broomstick skirts and tunic tops :o

Any flare bottom/hiphugger jeans would pass I think.

Kat
January 18th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Okay, I'm curious... what's a "hazing team," and what does it have to do with college? The only "hazing" and "college" I know of that go together are fraternities/sororities, and it doesn't get a good rap. And has nothing to do with hippies. :)

cjk
January 18th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Bootcut jeans read more modern, and bootcut hiphuggers are so late '90s/early 2000s.

The probability of her finding bell bottoms styled appropriately for the 1960s, with no incongruities whatsoever, within her time frame, is almost nonexistent.

But fashion is cyclic. What you describe is the re-emergence of the hippie bell bottoms, the most recent time.

the precise fit, the precise flare, and so forth will probably be wrong. But it would be very easy for her to ensure that they read 1960s by simply painting some flowers on them, or putting on a few bandana patches.

My impression is that the goal is to dress up in a hippie costume, not to recreate the era to a certain degree of historical accuracy.

What was suggested will be close enough. Styling will easily fill in the rest of the gaps.

Her aura will be very groovy

misspage
January 18th, 2020, 10:12 PM
My dad wasn't really a hippie in the 60s and 70s but he did live the life. He had long wavy hair (extremely puffy, probably didn't use conditioner)
I think just letting your hair do whatever it wants, let it be au natural xD

Jo Ann
January 19th, 2020, 03:23 AM
When I wore bell bottoms or elephant flares with boots, I would sometimes wrap the lower part of the leg around around my calf and then slip the boots on over that and zip the boots up. With modern boot cut jeans, that look will work.

As CJK also suggested, tying a bandanna around or above one knee was a look, too!

Siv
January 19th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Okay, I'm curious... what's a "hazing team," and what does it have to do with college? The only "hazing" and "college" I know of that go together are fraternities/sororities, and it doesn't get a good rap. And has nothing to do with hippies. :)

Lol yes, it's formally called "introduction" or "kick off" these days, it used to be called "hazing"... but the universities set up rules to make sure no one ended up hurt, and they changed it to "introduction/kick off" but most still call it "hazing". Anyway, all Freshmen are divided into teams according to what major they're doing. Each team gets a theme, and has to dress up accordingly. Then we do lots of ridiculous competitions and social things like pizza nights and pub nights over the course of about a month. The point is just to get to know each other and the upperclassmen in the same major while doing ridiculous things. It used to be the upperclassmen actually putting the freshmen through a rough time... But it's not like that anymore, now they're just the playleaders :)

Also I went to see my parents for Sunday lunch today and got a bunch of 70's themed clothes from my mum that doesn't fit her anymore so now I'm really set :lol: No true bellbottoms unfortunately, but considering that we're all in out 20's and weren't around for the real thing I doubt anyone's going to point out the incongruities!

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2020, 11:45 AM
Lol yes, it's formally called "introduction" or "kick off" these days, it used to be called "hazing"... but the universities set up rules to make sure no one ended up hurt, and they changed it to "introduction/kick off" but most still call it "hazing". Anyway, all Freshmen are divided into teams according to what major they're doing. Each team gets a theme, and has to dress up accordingly. Then we do lots of ridiculous competitions and social things like pizza nights and pub nights over the course of about a month. The point is just to get to know each other and the upperclassmen in the same major while doing ridiculous things. It used to be the upperclassmen actually putting the freshmen through a rough time... But it's not like that anymore, now they're just the playleaders :)

Also I went to see my parents for Sunday lunch today and got a bunch of 70's themed clothes from my mum that doesn't fit her anymore so now I'm really set :lol: No true bellbottoms unfortunately, but considering that we're all in out 20's and weren't around for the real thing I doubt anyone's going to point out the incongruities!

That sounds like fun....if you can/want to....pics would be nice :popcorn:

Hope you have a good time :cheer:

Kat
January 19th, 2020, 06:03 PM

Aha, that makes sense! We had something similar my freshman year of college-- all of the freshman showed up before the year started to kind of all get to know each other and such. But, there weren't teams, partly because we didn't have to declare a major until at least the end of freshman year*. It was interesting, but we all just grumbled because it meant we had to show up and be there over Labor Day weekend while everyone else didn't have to come until after when classes actually started (which actually could be not-good simply because some families may have wanted to plan a last summer vacation before someone went off to college or something). :) In hindsight, I sort of like the idea, but I think when we did it, it was the first time they'd tried it, and I'm not sure if they ever did it again...

*(It was a small college anyway, so wouldn't be hard to get to know the people in your major. When the head of the department for mine-- also the only prof for my major; I told you it was small-- retired, we got in some new professor and she wanted to play icebreaker games on the first day of class... which we all found weird because we'd all been in the same classes together for a couple years at that point...)