PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

Dark40
January 14th, 2020, 05:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking about going blonde with box dye very soon! I've been wanting to try this new formula box dye called, "Nice N Easy," shade 11 Ultra Light Blonde for a long time. I've used this shade before, and my hair turned to a nice bright golden blonde! I've been doing my research on it, and I've also learned that it is a color-lift, and it only lightens up to 2 shades. My natural hair color is, "medium brown/dark blonde." I will post a picture once it's done.

How many of you here use box dyes?

Obsidian
January 14th, 2020, 05:31 PM
I've used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde but I'm naturally lighter then you.

Laurab
January 14th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Goodness, let us know how it goes!
Box dyes scare me so much lol, I've always been really afraid of damage, so I've never dyed my hair.
But I know if you take good care of your hair after it typically isn't too bad, as long as you're not bleaching it several times in a short period of time.

Longlegs
January 14th, 2020, 07:24 PM
I don't use box dyes, I just buy peroxide and developer.

Labs*R*Us
January 14th, 2020, 07:46 PM
I've been using boxed dyes for 47 years - Nice-n-Easy for many of them, but Revlon Colorsilk for the past several, as it seems to be easier on hair. After several chops (not due to damage), I am near classic again. Go for it! ETA: I only take care of roots, not the length.

blackgothicdoll
January 14th, 2020, 08:22 PM
Box dyes ruined my hair, but it could have been user error. My hair is naturally a medium brown, and lifting even that completely destroyed it. Lift and deposits were just alright, but still, quite a bit. Since you also relax, I would be very careful as the combination can lead to a chemical cut. Maybe try a color wax or something of that nature.

Also, brown hair my lift to red/orange - that was my experience. To get an actual blonde, I needed to go to a salon, and my 'honey' highlights literally melted my hair off in some places. My hair could survive a lift to red/orange, but that was a pretty ugly color for me - think old penny color. Definitely strand test.

Dark40
January 14th, 2020, 09:03 PM
I've used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde but I'm naturally lighter then you.

Me too have also used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde too before I darkened my hair to a dark brown. I've been using box dye for many years. I also bet that you are naturally lighter than me too.

Dark40
January 14th, 2020, 09:08 PM
I've been using boxed dyes for 47 years - Nice-n-Easy for many of them, but Revlon Colorsilk for the past several, as it seems to be easier on hair. After several chops (not due to damage), I am near classic again. Go for it! ETA: I only take care of roots, not the length.

Wow! You've been using boxed dyes for 47 years? That's awesome! I've been using boxed dyes for 30 years now. Oh, I just love Nice N Easy. Oh yeah, I also agree with you about Revlon Colorsilk is a lot easier on the hair. Those are my 2 favorite boxed dyes. Thanks for the advice! I will most definitely go for it! Wow, you're near classic again? That's great! Yes, I know that once you've become a blonde you only have to touch up the roots. No, I don't ever do the length either. Because, it's already lightened.

Dark40
January 14th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Box dyes ruined my hair, but it could have been user error. My hair is naturally a medium brown, and lifting even that completely destroyed it. Lift and deposits were just alright, but still, quite a bit. Since you also relax, I would be very careful as the combination can lead to a chemical cut. Maybe try a color wax or something of that nature.

Also, brown hair my lift to red/orange - that was my experience. To get an actual blonde, I needed to go to a salon, and my 'honey' highlights literally melted my hair off in some places. My hair could survive a lift to red/orange, but that was a pretty ugly color for me - think old penny color. Definitely strand test.

Ahhhhh, I'm so sorry to hear that box dye ruined your hair. I had an uncle that was going to beauty school, and he once told me to be careful with haircolor since I was both relaxing and coloring at the same time. He did say that haircolor can ruin your hair but it never ruined mine after using them for 30 years. I guess box dye isn't for everybody.

Yes, I know what you mean about when you have brown hair, and trying to lift it up to a blonde you experience red/orange results. Well, since I'm already light it lifts up to a golden tone since I naturally already have those blonde highlights. Oh yes, you are right with me being relax I have to be extremely careful. I'll be fine, and yes I will do a strand test. Thank you for the advice!

iforgotmylogin
January 14th, 2020, 10:22 PM
I have very dark hair, but went light blonde a few times as a youth with box dye instead of foils or hairdresser

It worked surprisingly well

Just had epic roots in short order lol

Simpscone
January 15th, 2020, 01:39 AM
I've used platinum box dyes in the past and they've never been too bad, definitely not as good as a salon dye (I've had a lot of those too!) but no where near as bad as some people's experiences.

My only advice would be, if you've darkened your hair with dye it might not lighten in the way you are expecting. If it was me, I'd strip the colour out with a colour remover, or do a test patch of hair first!

I just used a Loreal dye on my front sections of hair and they have lightened to platinum and don't feel any different, but going forward I'm going to be buying "professional" bleach - just the powder and developer.

lapushka
January 15th, 2020, 03:31 AM
Since your hair is relaxed, and so a little "weaker" from a previous chemical service, I'd be cautious and for sure strand test. Buying an extra box just for that will pay off in the end, because... what if it melts off?

I was like that with my henna/bleach/box dye. At some point enough was enough, but that doesn't mean it has to go "bad" for you.

My point just is: be cautious.

Other than that: go for it.

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2020, 03:42 AM
I'd put the 2-week rule into effect here, using that time to collect shed hairs to do a strand test. You won't have any surprises because the collected shed hairs would be representative of your hair's condition now.

Good luck, Dark40!

iforgotmylogin
January 15th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Possibly soon to be known as Light40

lapushka
January 15th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Oh! Oh. That's a good one! :lol:

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 10:36 AM
I'd put the 2-week rule into effect here, using that time to collect shed hairs to do a strand test. You won't have any surprises because the collected shed hairs would be representative of your hair's condition now.

Good luck, Dark40!

Thank you, Jo Ann!

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 10:36 AM

Yes, that would be a good one! :lol:

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Thread winner... :wethree:

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 01:16 PM
Or, Blondie40.... :wethree:

Ylva
January 15th, 2020, 01:28 PM

:spitting:

C_Bookworm
January 15th, 2020, 02:15 PM
I used boxed dyes when I was younger. I’ve since developed an allergy, and so use henndigo currently and manic panic previously.

I really enjoyed box dyes back when I could use them. It was fun constantly changing my hair color, and I liked how fast they worked. I hope you have lots of fun going blonde!

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 02:18 PM
oof. I'm glad it worked out for you but I'd steer clear of them in the future.

I think you'll enjoy bleach and developer. If you ever want any advice on bleaching or toning feel free to message me. :)

I have a good degree of experience.

lapushka
January 15th, 2020, 02:51 PM
I have a good degree of experience.

Do you have much experience working with relaxed hair, because Dark40 relaxes a couple times a year as well, which would be another chemical process added to the mix, and IDK about bleach then but I suspect it might be "worse" than boxed dye. :hmm:

I do know that I had bleach & highest developer twice (on henna) and melted my hair off after another couple box dyes. :oops:

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Do you have much experience working with relaxed hair, because Dark40 relaxes a couple times a year as well, which would be another chemical process added to the mix, and IDK about bleach then but I suspect it might be "worse" than boxed dye. :hmm:

I do know that I had bleach & highest developer twice (on henna) and melted my hair off after another couple box dyes. :oops:

I didn't realize she relaxes. I don't know if I would do either then. I have found box to be more damaging. Her box dye is bleach with added crap. :shrug:

As far as your second statement goes I would have probably stuck with multiple sessions of 20 volume.

The offer on toner still stand though. Hard water can make platinum hair brassy quick.

Panthera
January 15th, 2020, 03:22 PM
I would think about it long and hard. Bleaching will damage your hair. Is it something you've wanted to do for a long time? Even if it damages your hair and slows down your growth?

lapushka
January 15th, 2020, 03:23 PM
I didn't realize she relaxes. I don't know if I would do either then. I have found box to be more damaging. Her box dye is bleach with added crap. :shrug:

As far as your second statement goes I would have probably stuck with multiple sessions of 20 volume.

The offer on toner still stand though. Hard water can make platinum hair brassy quick.

Henna is so hard to get out though. I mean after 2 of those big sessions I still had orange in my hair, which is why I had to put a lighter brown shade over it instead of a darker blonde. It still had red pigment.

RunOnCaffeine
January 15th, 2020, 04:19 PM
I tried using a box perm over box blonde dye and bleach when I was 20. Absolutely destroyed my hair and made it like chewing gum. I had to cut off what I could, and grow it back out. With this in mind, I wouldn't recommend it over relaxed hair.

I've got two photos of my hair like that in my decade of hair album and one several months later:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39715&d=1578227582

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39714&d=1578227564

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39718&d=1578227800

Arciela
January 15th, 2020, 04:21 PM
I used box dye before to bleach, that same brand too. Never again. My hair turned orange..I don't mean like, the orangey blonde color, I mean straight up orange. My cousin did it who is a hair dresser and has been for a loooong time. After that disaster we went to sallys and bought wella bleach/developer and toned it..then it looked acceptable. Personally I will never use it again. This was back in 2016.

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 04:24 PM
No, I'm not wanting to bleach my hair. I just want to use the plain old Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde shade. I've used this product and shade for 10 years on my hair, and I've never had any issues with breakage, hair melting away, or slow growth. This blonde shade is not bleach. The bleach by Clairol is called, "Born Blonde." That's more damaging than the hair color itself.

RunOnCaffeine
January 15th, 2020, 04:45 PM
If I remember correctly, I used the Superdrug lightest blonde dye with a prelightener in. I just had a quick look on the site and I don't think they make it anymore. I'd definitely used a blonde dye before the perm, but I can't recall what I used prior to that as I've previously used the B Blonde and Born Blonde *I did black to blonde twice. The first time was two boxes of Born Blonde, orange hair and then another two boxes like a day later, and somehow I still had hair haha.

Could you test some on your hairbrush sheds? I would think that would be as close as trying your head hair.

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 04:48 PM
No, I'm not wanting to bleach my hair. I just want to use the plain old Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde shade. I've used this product and shade for 10 years on my hair, and I've never had any issues with breakage, hair melting away, or slow growth. This blonde shade is not bleach. The bleach by Clairol is called, "Born Blonde." That's more damaging than the hair color itself.

If it lightens your hair it is bleach. You can't color your hair lighter than it is.

That's not how it works.

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 05:32 PM
If it lightens your hair it is bleach. You can't color your hair lighter than it is.

That's not how it works.

Now, you've got me confused. :confused:

That is not necessarily true. Just because blonde shades can lighten your hair does not mean it contains bleach. When I first started using box dye I used a boxed dyed by Dark N Lovely, and the shade was called, "Fiery Red," and it lightened my medium brown hair up to a bright red. Does the red hair dye have bleach it to lighten your hair up to a fiery red then? No, I don't think so. I totally disagree with you. I've just checked the ingredients, and I did not see any bleach in this product. What did you mean by, "I can't color my hair lighter than it is?" Sure, I can. Because, I've done it before. Don't confuse, "Born Blonde Bleach," with the Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde shade. That is not a bleach. Now, you have your opinion, and I have mine, and also.....what you mean, "That's not how it works?" Yes, that is how it works. When you use a blonde shade of any brand I don't care what brand blonde shades can and does lighten brown hair.

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Now, you've got me confused. :confused:

That is not necessarily true. Just because blonde shades can lighten your hair does not mean it contains bleach. When I first started using box dye I used a boxed dyed by Dark N Lovely, and the shade was called, "Fiery Red," and it lightened my medium brown hair up to a bright red. Does the red hair dye have bleach it to lighten your hair up to a fiery red then? No, I don't think so. I totally disagree with you. I've just checked the ingredients, and I did not see any bleach in this product. What did you mean by, "I can't color my hair lighter than it is?" Sure, I can. Because, I've done it before. Don't confuse, "Born Blonde Bleach," with the Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde shade. That is not a bleach. Now, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Actually yes the red dye does have bleach in it that lightens your hair. If it makes your hair lighter it has bleach.

This isn't a matter of opinion. I went to school for this I have used dye on hundred of heads.

Your "opinion" is misinformed.

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Actually yes the red dye does have bleach in it that lightens your hair. If it makes your hair lighter it has bleach.

This isn't a matter of opinion. I went to school for this I have used dye on hundred of heads.

Your "opinion" is wrong.

I've also went to school for this too, and your "opinion" is wrong too, and over the years I've been using box dye and coloring my hair and going to beauty school I also learned a lot about hair coloring and bleaching.

If you went to school for this....are you a licensed beautician then?

Ylva
January 15th, 2020, 05:48 PM
That hair dyes contain actual bleach is new info to me. I did, however, know that peroxide in itself has some mild lightening properties. Just to make sure, there is actual bleach-bleach in the dye and not just peroxide?

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 05:54 PM
I say the same too. Box dyes having bleach in it is new to me too. I know that blonde shades do have some lightening properties in it too but not bleach.

Laurab
January 15th, 2020, 05:58 PM
All of this made me very curious, so I did some research! I've googled a couple of different things and read through the ingredients. The Nice N' Easy brand does contain Hydrogen Peroxide, which would technically bleach the hair.
I don't see any peroxide or anything in the Dark N' Lovely brand, but they do have some citrus extracts. I don't know enough about this stuff to know if that would lighten your hair or not. It's also possible something in their is a lightener I don't recognise, but considering it's for dark colors to stay dark that feels unlikely.
I think part of the trouble is different chemicals can bleach your hair. Like, if I lighten my hair with lemon juice that's technically bleaching it, even if it's all natural.

Ylva
January 15th, 2020, 06:00 PM
I think part of the trouble is different chemicals can bleach your hair. Like, if I lighten my hair with lemon juice that's technically bleaching it, even if it's all natural.

Or the Sun. The technical term for that is photobleaching, so I guess all lightening is bleaching, even if it doesn't involve actual bleach powder.

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Look. I'm making dinner right now but I will come back to thi when I'm done. I have figured out a pretty good way to explain why your product is partially a bleach.

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Okay, say you want to bleach your hair. So you go to Sally's beauty supply. You would walk out with a bottle of developer and a packet of powder lightener. Right?

Well, a quick google search reveals that the following are ingredient for each product:

Salon Care 20 Volume Developer:

WATER ,HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,CETEARETH-20 ,CETYL ALCOHOL ,STEARIC ACID ,PHOSPHORIC ACID ,TETRASODIUM EDTA ,ETIDRONIC ACID

Wella powder lightener packet:

Potassium Persulfate, Sodium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide, Mineral Oil, Ammonium Persulfate, Sodium Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Algin, Disodium EDTA, Silica

When you mix these two products together it creates bleach.

Now, lets take a look at the ingredients in your product.

Nice n' Easy Born Blonde Dye:

Developer: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Steareth-21, Laureth-23, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Styrene/Vp Copolymer, Ppg-1 Trideceth-6, Etidronic Acid.

Highlighting Powder: Potassium Persulfate, Sodium Silicate, Ammonium Persulfate, Silica, Ultramarines, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Edta.

Tint: Tall Oil Acid, Oleth-2, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethanolamine, Soytrimonium Chloride, Ammonium Hydroxide, Ethoxydiglycol, C12-15 Pareth-3, Hexylene Glycol, Water, Fragrance, Erythorbic Acid, Sodium Sulfite, Edta.

Conditioner: Water, Bis-Hydroxy/Methoxy Amodimethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Citric Acid, Edta, Sodium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

If you cross reference these three items you will find that the Nice n' Easy Born Blonde products share most of the ingredients that are in the developer and lightener powder. In fact, the Nice N' Easy even ays that it contains a developer and lightening powder as part of the ingredient list.

Your Nice N' Easy is a bleach and tone in one bottle. That's how box dyes that lighten work. This is the same for any box dye that changes your hair to a lighter color.

ETA: The main two ingredient that are active in bleach are Hydrogen Peroxide and Potassium Persulfate.

Evidence of that fact can be found in any of these links (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS819US819&sxsrf=ACYBGNQnHERTdyRqGT1f23UOyqhX6fpb5g%3A1579140 378284&ei=GsUfXubxEJG0tQbw27GoCw&q=potassium+persulfate+hydrogen+peroxide+hair&oq=potassium+persulfate+hydrogen+peroxide+ha&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i160l4j33i299l2.14586.15255..16959...0.2. .0.138.343.1j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30.PuWB2qSazgk).

neko_kawaii
January 15th, 2020, 07:37 PM
I expect part of the problem is that many people associate the term BLEACH with CLOROX, because that is what we have at home. Bleach is defined as “whiten by exposure to sunlight or by a chemical process”, and many many chemicals can be used which is why unless you are familiar with all those chemicals you might look at a list of ingredients and not seeing BLEACH and the outside of the box not explaining how the dye works to lighten the hair, one could easily think, awesome, blond without bleach!

Thanks for that rundown jane_marie, I wasn’t sure which ones were the culprits.

blackgothicdoll
January 15th, 2020, 07:46 PM
Yes and yes! I only learned maybe two years ago about the lift and deposit and had been dying my hair black for years. Semi permanent box dyes lift and deposit in one step. This is more evident in black dyes, where the hair is lifted at a lower volume to get the pigment to stick. Once the pigment on top faded, my hair was lighter than it was before.

I think this is part of what made it so dangerous, not knowing this information made it seem "better than bleaching" so I thought I could do it more often and overlap. My hair was not in good shape :/

Labs*R*Us
January 15th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Wow! You've been using boxed dyes for 47 years? That's awesome! I've been using boxed dyes for 30 years now. Oh, I just love Nice N Easy. Oh yeah, I also agree with you about Revlon Colorsilk is a lot easier on the hair. Those are my 2 favorite boxed dyes. Thanks for the advice! I will most definitely go for it! Wow, you're near classic again? That's great! Yes, I know that once you've become a blonde you only have to touch up the roots. No, I don't ever do the length either. Because, it's already lightened.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Dark40
January 15th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thank you! I will try to post a photo of it on my profile so you guys can see it. I bet you can't wait to see how it turns out! First, I gotta relax my hair, and then wait the 2 weeks....and then I can color it!

jane_marie
January 15th, 2020, 09:53 PM
I expect part of the problem is that many people associate the term BLEACH with CLOROX, because that is what we have at home. Bleach is defined as “whiten by exposure to sunlight or by a chemical process”, and many many chemicals can be used which is why unless you are familiar with all those chemicals you might look at a list of ingredients and not seeing BLEACH and the outside of the box not explaining how the dye works to lighten the hair, one could easily think, awesome, blond without bleach!

No problem! I figured it's important info to understand if you are into hair.

Ylva
January 16th, 2020, 12:56 AM
Very interesting! Thanks for explaining, jane_marie!

SleepyTangles
January 16th, 2020, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking about going blonde with box dye very soon! I've been wanting to try this new formula box dye called, "Nice N Easy," shade 11 Ultra Light Blonde for a long time. I've used this shade before, and my hair turned to a nice bright golden blonde! I've been doing my research on it, and I've also learned that it is a color-lift, and it only lightens up to 2 shades. My natural hair color is, "medium brown/dark blonde." I will post a picture once it's done.

How many of you here use box dyes?

Good luck, I hope you have a nice experience with the product.
Not a fan of box dyes, they trigger my dermatitis and I'm mildly allergic to them. As far as "natural" colors go I prefer plant dyes.

I'm currently using bleach and deposit dyes in fun colors (purple, pink, blue), separating the process works best for me. Until now I've had much better luck and no adverse reaction.

MusicalSpoons
January 16th, 2020, 09:08 AM

Ditto!

characters

lapushka
January 16th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Very interesting! Thanks for explaining, jane_marie!

Yes awesome! :D

Dark40
January 16th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Look, I've just had a "live chat" with a Clairol Hair Color Expert, and she told me that the color I use Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde does not contain bleach but it can lighten your hair up to 2 or 3 shades.

jane_marie
January 16th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Look, I've just had a "live chat" with a Clairol Hair Color Expert, and she told me that the color I use Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde does not contain bleach but it can lighten your hair up to 2 or 3 shades.

Oh, sorry I got the product wrong.

In the case of this product these are the ingredients copied from Clairol's ingredient pdf:

COLOR CRÈME FORMULA (1)

9/LIGHT BLONDE
AQUA/ WATER/ EAU, PROPYLENE GLYCOL,
CETEARYL ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, TRISODIUM
ETHYLENEDIAMINE DISUCCINATE, AMMONIUM
SULFATE, PARFUM/ FRAGRANCE, SODIUM SULFITE,
DICETYL PHOSPHATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CETETH-10
PHOSPHATE, STEARETH-200, XANTHAN GUM,
SODIUM HYDROXIDE, CI 77891/ TITANIUM DIOXIDE,
DISODIUM EDTA, LINALOOL, PHENYL METHYL
PYRAZOLONE, RESORCINOL, N,N-BIS(2-HYDROXYETHYL)-P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE SULFATE, 2-METHOXYMETHYL-P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE, 1-NAPHTHOL

COLOR CRÈME ACTIVATOR (2)

9/LIGHT BLONDE
AQUA/ WATER/ EAU, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE,
MINERAL OIL/ HUILE MINÉRALE/ PARAFFINUM
LIQUIDUM, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM CETEARYL
SULFATE, SALICYLIC ACID, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE,
PHOSPHORIC ACID, ETIDRONIC ACID

CC+ COLORSEAL™
CONDITIONER (3)

WATER/ AQUA/ EAU, BIS-HYDROXY/METHOXY
AMODIMETHICONE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, CETYL
ALCOHOL, STEARAMIDOPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, BENZYL ALCOHOL,
FRAGRANCE/ PARFUM, CITRIC ACID,
DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PROPYLENE
GLYCOL, BENZYL BENZOATE, EDTA, HISTIDINE,
SODIUM CHLORIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL,
LINALOOL, MAGNESIUM NITRATE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

In this case Potassium Persulfate is not an ingredient... I'll give you that.

However, It does contain Ammonium sulfate and Hydrogen peroxide.

Here is a scholarly article that explores dermatological damage from hair bleaching: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2010.00916.x

Here is the abstract:

Scalp burns can be caused by hair bleaching with excess procedures such as unnecessary heating and excessive treatment with bleaching agents. The aim of this study was to investigate the morphological and histological changes of the hair and skin after bleaching. Ammonium persulfate and hydrogen peroxide (6% or 9%) solution mixed at a ratio of 1:2 (weight ratio) were sufficiently applied to human hairs and rat skin. The bleached hairs were brightened up to yellow by increasing the concentration of hydrogen peroxide and time of bleach treatment. After bleaching, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) was used to observe that the cuticle scales of the hairs were irregular and lifted. The mechanical properties of the bleached hairs, such as tensile strength and elongation, were slightly different than the untreated hairs. The tested rat skin showed severe swelling after treatment of the bleaching agent (9% hydrogen peroxide). The rat skin bleached with 9% hydrogen peroxide exhibited epidermal thinning and subepidermal vesicle formation. The extracellular matrix of the skin was seriously disrupted after bleaching. Therefore, the use of only suitable bleaching procedures is suggested in order to avoid injuries.

So, as you can see a mixture of Ammonium persulfate and Hydroden peroxide is the combination of chemicals used as bleach in this experiment.

Bleach is not necessarily one set of chemicals. Here is a webpage that explores a variety of chemicals and chemical combinations that result in bleaching. http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Ar-Bo/Bleaches.html

Personally I am shocked and appalled that someone who has gone to cosmetology school does not know this information. That's dangerous.

Why did the Clarol representative say that there is no bleach?

Semantics

Well, perhaps it has something to do with what neko_kawaii said. Commonly the word bleach is used to describe Clorox or rather a product that uses some combination of sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide and sodium polyacrylate.

Since this product does not contain any of these when using laymen's terms one could say that this is not bleach. However, as far as actual science goes the combination of Ammonium sulfate and Hydrogen peroxide create a bleach.

lapushka
January 16th, 2020, 12:03 PM
In any case, I would urge you (Dark40) to strand test the product. Buy an extra box and go to town on some sheds or a strand that you can't see (back of the head), and do it a few days before actually committing to the dye.

No one wants a disaster on their hands. :flower: I've been there and it's no fun experience, I can tell you that much! :( What I wouldn't give to prevent stuff like this from happening!

iforgotmylogin
January 16th, 2020, 12:17 PM
lol at company rep saying no bleach

...and then bleach is listed in ingredients

jane_marie
January 16th, 2020, 12:51 PM
lol at company rep saying no bleach

...and then bleach is listed in ingredients

Yeah, who would have guessed that a product might be misrepresented. :confused:

Panthera
January 16th, 2020, 01:01 PM
I have dyed my hair for 14 years in a hair salon, I've been told and warned by licensed professionals many many times when I've wanted a lighter shade that color doesn't lift color. You can't lighten your hair without some form of bleach and causing some damage. If you are lightening your color you are basically bleaching it. If the box dye lightens the color only a little, it's probably a milder bleach and less damaging but you're still using harsh chemicals to already chemically treated hair, please be careful and do a strand test.

iforgotmylogin
January 16th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Just to help convince of the truth of only bleach making lightening possible...

There is no separate pigment for blond and for brown. Brown is simply more of it. You can't add pigment to remove pigment

Red is another story, as is black. Red IS a separate pigment altogether, and black is the blond/brown pigment PLUS blue pigment (the blue cannot exist on it's own)

Dark40
January 17th, 2020, 06:31 PM
In any case, I would urge you (Dark40) to strand test the product. Buy an extra box and go to town on some sheds or a strand that you can't see (back of the head), and do it a few days before actually committing to the dye.

No one wants a disaster on their hands. :flower: I've been there and it's no fun experience, I can tell you that much! :( What I wouldn't give to prevent stuff like this from happening!

Yes, thank you for the advice, lapushka! I will perform the strand test before I apply it all over my head. But I've used this color and product once before. Yes, I'm gonna need an extra box for my hair length.

You're right. No one want a disaster on their hands. :flower:Yeah, I've also been through hair disasters in the past too, and you're right. It isn't a fun experience.

LittleHealthy
January 17th, 2020, 11:54 PM
Nice n Easy is what I used to make my dark blonde hair a few shades lighter. It ruined my hair. My hair is super fine and thin though. That was years ago now! If it's worked for you in the past then hooray, I'm excited to see results!

lapushka
January 18th, 2020, 03:58 AM
Yes, thank you for the advice, lapushka! I will perform the strand test before I apply it all over my head. But I've used this color and product once before. Yes, I'm gonna need an extra box for my hair length.

You're right. No one want a disaster on their hands. :flower:Yeah, I've also been through hair disasters in the past too, and you're right. It isn't a fun experience.

Yeah, if I can spare you that! :D

I'm glad you'll be cautious even if you have experience with it (always smart).

I would *love* to see the results! :)

Kalamazoo
January 18th, 2020, 10:09 PM
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a nice paranda? I mean, that way, you know what color you're going to wind up with, and if you want a different color tomorrow, you can have it! No need to wait for two weeks. It can also make your hair look much longer & thicker, instantly. No worries about hair melting off...

I mean, henna turned my hair orange I was very lucky that I could put blueberries on it the next day and get back to brown! (which, post-henna, I decided I'm madly in love with.) :heartbeat:crush::smooch:

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2020, 05:40 AM
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a nice paranda? I mean, that way, you know what color you're going to wind up with, and if you want a different color tomorrow, you can have it! No need to wait for two weeks. It can also make your hair look much longer & thicker, instantly. No worries about hair melting off...

I mean, henna turned my hair orange I was very lucky that I could put blueberries on it the next day and get back to brown! (which, post-henna, I decided I'm madly in love with.) :heartbeat:crush::smooch:

Ahaha, nice suggestion, but paranda looks more like "highlights", I guess! Maybe OP wants her new color all-over.
My thirst for purple hair couldn´t be satisfyied with a paranda :whistle:

The blueberry thing sounds so cool!

Aerya
January 19th, 2020, 07:48 AM
I would strongly urge you to do a strand test. Box dye is no joke and can easily turn messy, as well as being damaging. If your hair is already relaxed it might be more prone to damage than you think, even if it seems healthy now. I don't think I've seen your hair in good lighting but it's fairly dark, right? So getting it to blonde would require a fair amount of lift and you also risk it pulling very orange.

Of course it might work out perfectly fine, but a strand test is always a good idea. :)

lapushka
January 19th, 2020, 08:26 AM
I wonder if you already dyed it, Dark40. :hmm: We haven't heard from you in a bit!

geenie
January 19th, 2020, 11:26 AM
I would never recommend using a box dye to go blonde. I used to do that to my hair and it end up breaking. I now just get highlights at the hairdresser and she uses opalex with it too.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 11:31 AM
I wonder if you already dyed it, Dark40. :hmm: We haven't heard from you in a bit!

Yeah, it has been a couple days and she said she would post when she finished to show us. I hope her hair is okay.

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2020, 11:39 AM
She is fine :)

She posted on January 15
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151557&page=5&p=3749277&viewfull=1#post3749277

Thank you! I will try to post a photo of it on my profile so you guys can see it. I bet you can't wait to see how it turns out! First, I gotta relax my hair, and then wait the 2 weeks....and then I can color it!

And she posted on Jan 17 that she agreed to do a strand test

lapushka
January 19th, 2020, 04:23 PM
GG, how can you know. ;) :) It's January 19 right now, about to be January 20 that's another 2/3 days later, right?

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2020, 04:45 PM
^ She did say she had to wait 2 weeks first after the relaxer

lapushka
January 19th, 2020, 05:03 PM
^ She did say she had to wait 2 weeks first after the relaxer

Did she tell us when she would be relaxing? :hmm:

I'm just a little worried, that's all. :o

Dark40
January 19th, 2020, 05:58 PM
Did she tell us when she would be relaxing? :hmm:

I'm just a little worried, that's all. :o

Thanks for your concern, lapushka! But It looks like I won't be relaxing until the first of February, and then I'll dye it on February 15th after waiting the 2 weeks after relaxing. When I do dye it I know that the color is not going to lighten up to the same color that's on the box which is, "Ultra Light Blonde." Because, right now my hair is reddish brown, and I think what I'll end with is a bright red, strawberry-blonde. Or, a golden blonde.

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2020, 06:03 PM
wrong thread

Dark40
January 19th, 2020, 06:05 PM
I would never recommend using a box dye to go blonde. I used to do that to my hair and it end up breaking. I now just get highlights at the hairdresser and she uses opalex with it too.

I really wish that I can afford to go to the hairdresser to get highlights put in but I'm living on a budget or a fixed-income. I'm doing the best that I can. I've been dyeing my hair with box dye for 30 years, and I've never had any breakage. Also, my mother which is 74 years old has been using box dye for 50 years, and she has never had any problems with breakage either. If you know what you are doing you won't suffer any breakage or damage.

Dark40
January 19th, 2020, 06:07 PM
wrong thread

What do you mean, "wrong thread?" Which one is it?

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2020, 06:11 PM
What do you mean, "wrong thread?" Which one is it?

That was for MY post...I posted in the wrong thread...sorry :o

Dark40
January 19th, 2020, 06:25 PM
That was for MY post...I posted in the wrong thread...sorry :o

Ok, gotcha....no problem :)

*Wednesday*
January 20th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I agree with what the others have said regarding the cautionary advice. You have dark hair, Dark40. The kitchen beautician approach normally does not end well.

You can’t just put blond dye (even the lightest of blonde) onto your hair and expect it to lift without turning orange. You need to have the brown pigment in your hair lifted to the proper level and then dyed to the blonde shade you want. The lifting is normally done with bleach. I would go to a salon to have that professionally done. You are going to RUIN your hair. The coloring isn’t as bad but factoring in you chemically relax your hair. Not a perfect combination. This will affect your length retention if not the health of your hair.
There was already concern your growth was stagnant and you weren’t gaining significant length in some odd years?

iforgotmylogin
January 20th, 2020, 06:58 AM
The suspense

*Wednesday*
January 20th, 2020, 07:08 AM
...If you know what you are doing you won't suffer any breakage or damage.

I disagree and yes you can. Even the most seasoned hairdresser can have hair disasters. Hair is fragile and unpredictable when chemicals are added.
Go on you YT and watch Brad Mando reaction videos to girls dying their hair blond. Yes, hair melts and hair cuts and nasty results. They believed they knew what they were doing.

Ylva
January 20th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Go on you YT and watch Brad Mando reaction videos to girls dying their hair blond. Yes, hair melts and hair cuts and nasty results. They believed they knew what they were doing.

Or reactions to Brad Mondo frying people's hair.

*Wednesday*
January 20th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Or reactions to Brad Mondo frying people's hair.

😂 lol yes that too.

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your concern, lapushka! But It looks like I won't be relaxing until the first of February, and then I'll dye it on February 15th after waiting the 2 weeks after relaxing. When I do dye it I know that the color is not going to lighten up to the same color that's on the box which is, "Ultra Light Blonde." Because, right now my hair is reddish brown, and I think what I'll end with is a bright red, strawberry-blonde. Or, a golden blonde.

Ah that is so nice of you to pop in and tell us more about your schedule. I really appreciate it. I wasn't sure about when or what and hadn't seen you in a couple days. :D I was starting to worry a bit there! :D

Good luck with your efforts, and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 07:43 AM
I believe she was going to strand test, guys! :) :thumbsup:
It's all good. :)

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Ah that is so nice of you to pop in and tell us more about your schedule. I really appreciate it. I wasn't sure about when or what and hadn't seen you in a couple days. :D I was starting to worry a bit there! :D

Good luck with your efforts, and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Ah, thank you! Yes, I've been quite busy. You are quite welcome for me popping in telling you guys more about my schedule. I'm sorry if I've worried you since I had been gone away for a couple of days. :D

Thank you with the good luck with my efforts, and I will keep you guys posted. :thumbsup:

MusicalSpoons
January 20th, 2020, 10:52 AM
My main concern is that a strand test won't tell you about long-term damage. As you got to waist length in 2017 and have only gained a few inches in length since despite minimal trimming, I fear this extra damage will only make matters worse. Of course if you decide that you want the colour instead of any extra length, that's your decision and completely fine - as long as you are aware of the decision you are making and are perfectly happy with your choice.

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 12:40 PM
The strand test may not tell me about long-term damage but at least it will show me what result I will get if I put it all over my head, and I've used this product for many years, and it has never damaged my hair before. So, why now? Anyway, my hair has grown since 2017 stretched. I would say when I do my relaxer it will stretch to about hip length. I would say that is some progress. Back in 2017 I was dealing with a lot of stress and hair shedding. That could have possibly slowed down my hair growth rate too, and also certain medications I take can also cause hair loss or shedding.

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 02:46 PM
The strand test may not tell me about long-term damage but at least it will show me what result I will get if I put it all over my head, and I've used this product for many years, and it has never damaged my hair before. So, why now? Anyway, my hair has grown since 2017 stretched. I would say when I do my relaxer it will stretch to about hip length. I would say that is some progress. Back in 2017 I was dealing with a lot of stress and hair shedding. That could have possibly slowed down my hair growth rate too, and also certain medications I take can also cause hair loss or shedding.

That is usually more of a concern than anything you put on your hair.
Hope it's not too bad (health wise). :) :flower:

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 03:18 PM
I disagree and yes you can. Even the most seasoned hairdresser can have hair disasters. Hair is fragile and unpredictable when chemicals are added.

Well, that's your opinion Wednesday. I've been there any done that going on YT seeing Brad Mondo's reaction videos to girls dying their hair blond. But those videos are no comparing to my hair, and me dying my hair blonde. Yes, that is very true that hair is most fragile ans predictable when chemicals are added to it. Hair is even most fragile when it's wet. So, I know and understand what you're saying there.

But you're not getting me. I've been using this product on my relaxed hair for 30 years, and I have NOT had any hair disasters. Plus, my hair was growing at the same time as well. It never grew pass BSL but as least I can say that it was long. Now, that may not be considered long to you but to me it's considered long. Anything pass the shoulders is considered long.

And to your comment about you can't lighten dark with blonde hair color....Yes, you can. Because, I have proof. Here's the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jKnG7qxNs

I am NOT going to go to a hair salon to have my hair bleached. Because, I can't. The relaxer I use does not recommend that I use bleach. But it says that you can use color on it. I would have to wait 2 weeks before I color after relaxing. I am sick and tired of you guys saying that me relaxing my hair 2 or 3 times is too much. That isn't too much at all comparing to how often others relax their hair, and there is a such thing as healthy extremely long processed hair. I have a girlfriend from my old church that had TBL relaxed and color-treated hair, and it always looked healthy. And, my hair is NOT staginated anymore. My is is growing again. Now, I did mention a couple of times that I've went through a couple stalls but that was it. I am retaining length. I'm sure after I do this relaxer it will have stretched to almost HL now. At least that is some progress, and for fragile chemical processed hair....what you think deep moisturizing products are out there for? At least they do help your hair to look and feel healthier after a chemical process. I know that there's no product out to prevent damage but it does minimize it. That's what deep moisturizing conditioners, protein treatments, and oils are out there for. Plus, my hair loves products with silicones in it. That helps to keep my hair looking and feeling healthy all of the time too.

So, to correct you.....now I am gaining and retaining length. I'm NOT losing length. To also correct you again....my natural hair color is considered to be more on the light end rather than dark. My natural hair color is sandy brown or medium brown with blondish highlights. That's how I'm able to get golden blonde hair NOT orange.

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 03:19 PM
That is usually more of a concern than anything you put on your hair.
Hope it's not too bad (health wise). :) :flower:

Yes, it is. No, it's not too bad (health wise) :flower: It's under control.

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Yes, it is. No, it's not too bad (health wise) :flower: It's under control.

Oh that's good to hear. :thumbsup:

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 04:00 PM
Oh that's good to hear. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 04:05 PM
This is the shade of Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde I'm planning to use 2 weeks after I relax my hair here's the link:

https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/hair-color/product/nice-n-easy?shadeSKU=070018117045

This permanent hair color can lighten up to 3 levels on virgin uncolored hair, and my hair is all virgin uncolored hair.

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 04:22 PM
This is the shade of Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde I'm planning to use 2 weeks after I relax my hair here's the link:

https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/hair-color/product/nice-n-easy?shadeSKU=070018117045

This permanent hair color can lighten up to 3 levels on virgin uncolored hair, and my hair is all virgin uncolored hair.

Oh... I was under the impression you had dyed it before? That's so odd how I remember things the wrong way. :hmm:

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 05:02 PM
Oh... I was under the impression you had dyed it before? That's so odd how I remember things the wrong way. :hmm:

Yes, I had dyed it before but I haven't colored my hair in 2 years! So, all of that dark hair dye has grown out, and I had been micro-trimming a little off at at time. :p

AmaryllisRed
January 20th, 2020, 06:06 PM

I could have sworn Dark40 dyed her hair last summer. My brain... :sigh:

jane_marie
January 20th, 2020, 06:19 PM

:popcorn::popcorn:

MusicalSpoons
January 20th, 2020, 06:26 PM

I also thought virgin hair meant unprocessed, but there we are :shrug:

jane_marie
January 20th, 2020, 07:09 PM

I'm sure she knows what she's doing. I mean she managed to find a dye that can lighten without bleach so I'm sure everything's going to go just fine. Plus, she's a hairdresser. :thumbsup:

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 07:18 PM

Where did you see me posting that? :sigh:

AmaryllisRed
January 20th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Where did you see me posting that? :sigh:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116012&page=375&p=3706741&viewfull=1#post3706741

Dark40
January 20th, 2020, 07:26 PM

Virgin hair does mean unprocessed....but I'm talking about virgin uncolored hair. I wasn't referring to hair that's never been chemically processed at all. :doh:

Sparkles122
January 20th, 2020, 07:37 PM
Dark40 I think all the posts and comments you are receiving are from people who are attempting to help you avoid a potential hair disaster. I’m prime example of hair disasters. I even went to a hairdresser, a hairdresser that I had been going to for 11 years. I had virgin hair that had a few salon dark demi permanents over it using a 5 volume or a 9 volume.(so not technically virgin but the demi permanents were on virgin unprocessed hair). My hair was in excellent condition. I then had highlights put in by the same girl and my hair was completely destroyed. From the roots to the ends, with the crown of my head being the worst. I still dont know what happened and I never will. Metallic salt reaction? Idk. Product left on too long? Idk. But the point of the post is to say, you never know the outcome. And its an awful feeling to have to start all over again after a hair disaster.

neko_kawaii
January 20th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Virgin hair does mean unprocessed....but I'm talking about virgin uncolored hair. I wasn't referring to hair that's never been chemically processed at all. :doh:

On LHC: (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874)

Virgin: Hair that has not been altered by dyes, lightening, or chemical straitening/curls.

Might save future confusion.

jane_marie
January 20th, 2020, 08:36 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116012&page=375&p=3706741&viewfull=1#post3706741

That's interesting.:popcorn:

Kalamazoo
January 20th, 2020, 10:26 PM
My understanding is that damage is an accumulative process. It may be possible to use the same product a million times without any damage that's obviously bad, but the million and first time could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. That Ultra Light Blonde shade certainly is a pretty color, but you're gambling all-or-nothing. If you win, you get beautiful pale yellow hair; but if it goes wrong, you could wind up needing to shave your head. Are you OK with that potential outcome?

It's your hair. It's your perfect right to do with it whatever you wish; but you're also human. Human beings are limited creatures. The greatest beauty comes from accepting one's flaws and working with them, not trying to obliterate them with a nuclear bomb.

Assymetry is fascinatingly gorgeous. A Barbie Doll is an ugly piece of plastic that's "perfectly" an atrocity. Any living human being is so much more beautiful than a stupid ol' Barbie doll!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's also in the eye of the beheld. It's the sparkle in your eye, the music in your laugh, the little way you toss your head. It's everything about you that makes you you!

Do you know that you are loved?

We care about you, just the way you are. We don't care if your hair's black, brown, blonde, purple, pink, or green. We care about you!

Aerya
January 21st, 2020, 12:19 AM
Yes, I had dyed it before but I haven't colored my hair in 2 years! So, all of that dark hair dye has grown out, and I had been micro-trimming a little off at at time. :p

If you haven't colored your hair in two years and it's waist+ length, you've probably got quite a bit of dye left on your ends.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 21st, 2020, 07:41 AM
If you haven't colored your hair in two years and it's waist+ length, you've probably got quite a bit of dye left on your ends.

I would think so. Do be careful Dark40, dye does damage hair to some degree, and are you prepared for endless root upkeep?

ETA: Oh, so you dyed your hair last August? Then it probably won't be good to dye again now, particularly with something that's going to strip your hair to make it blonde. Dye upon dye generally = not a good thing for the health of the hair.

gustavonut
January 21st, 2020, 07:53 AM
I would think so. Do be careful Dark40, dye does damage hair to some degree, and are you prepared for endless root upkeep?

The root upkeep is the worst part. Don’t forget frequent trims if you are wanting a nice neat hemline as well.

Dark40
January 21st, 2020, 08:29 AM
On LHC: (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874)

Might save future confusion.

Ok, thank you for explaining that to me! :)

Dark40
January 21st, 2020, 09:39 AM

I'm sorry. My bad. Thank you for reminding me. I forgot that I had posted that back then. :)

Dark40
January 21st, 2020, 09:49 AM

ETA: Oh, so you dyed your hair last August? Then it probably won't be good to dye again now, particularly with something that's going to strip your hair to make it blonde. Dye upon dye generally = not a good thing for the health of the hair.

Yes, I will be careful Sarah. Yes, over a period of time dye can damage hair to some degree. Well, I don't mind he endless root upkeep. At least the ends will be already light. Well, to help you understand is that when I use this dye on my hair next month my hair is not going to be stripped out as blonde. This is not a bleach. All it is....is a permanent hair dye that can lighten up to 2 or 3 levels. Bleaches lightens up to 10 or 11 levels, and they strip out your natural hair color. So, with the kind of relaxer I use which is Organic Root Stimulator in Normal Strength....if I had used bleach along with that relaxer my hair would've melted along time ago. But the Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde is NOT A BLEACH or a COLOR STRIPPER. It is only a permanent hair dye, and I've never had any hair disasters with it. Not after all of these years.

neko_kawaii
January 21st, 2020, 09:53 AM
I am closing this thread.