PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sleeping cap?

Erinliz
January 13th, 2020, 09:16 PM
I'm looking to buy a satin cap for sleeping. Does anyone have a favorite they recommend? I think I'd want something that ties, to keep it secure?

The-Young-Maid
January 13th, 2020, 09:32 PM
These are the best ones Amazon Link (https://smile.amazon.com/Stay-On-Satin-Pocket-Bonnet/dp/B077D7DW21/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-c2xlZXBpbmcgY2Fw-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=sleeping+cap&keywords=sleeping+cap&pd_rd_i=B077D7DW21&pd_rd_r=f324ab52-687a-4fdc-831a-401fa5b345bd&pd_rd_w=8mPBT&pd_rd_wg=ZXPO2&pf_rd_p=6d29ef56-fc35-411a-8a8e-7114f01518f7&pf_rd_r=EAEW50T9MEGKRWBXEC4C&psc=1&qid=1578976255)

I've had mine for years and it's still good. Stay on very well.

MusicalSpoons
January 14th, 2020, 07:24 AM
I bought mine from Nnembas on Etsy, an elasticated one. The elastic started rubbing away at my hairline (then was giving me wrinkles when I tried wearing it further down my forehead) so I modified it to be a 'drawstring' with satin ribbon - much better. Face and hair are very pleased with that :D

Belgrade Beauty
January 14th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Never tried that,can you give me some insight?

Erinliz
January 14th, 2020, 11:54 AM
Never tried that,can you give me some insight?

I'm working on improving my protective hairstyles as my hair has been growing. I wear it up in a bun most days and have been avoiding hair elastics. My next step is to keep it covered and protected at night. I know many on this forum either wear protective styles for sleep like a braid, and others wear a cover to keep loose hair from getting snagged. I'm wanting to give that a try.

Belgrade Beauty
January 14th, 2020, 12:00 PM
I'm working on improving my protective hairstyles as my hair has been growing. I wear it up in a bun most days and have been avoiding hair elastics. My next step is to keep it covered and protected at night. I know many on this forum either wear protective styles for sleep like a braid, and others wear a cover to keep loose hair from getting snagged. I'm wanting to give that a try.

That sounds good. I was wondering if my pillow case is hurting my hair,...Do you have some special case?

Erinliz
January 14th, 2020, 12:05 PM
That sounds good. I was wondering if my pillow case is hurting my hair,...Do you have some special case?

A lot of people like a satin pillowcase, but I think I'd rather use a satin cap. My curly hair gets everywhere if not contained. I think there wouldn't be much need for a special case if I use a satin cap or wrap.

Erinliz
January 14th, 2020, 12:05 PM
These are the best ones Amazon Link (https://smile.amazon.com/Stay-On-Satin-Pocket-Bonnet/dp/B077D7DW21/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-c2xlZXBpbmcgY2Fw-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=sleeping+cap&keywords=sleeping+cap&pd_rd_i=B077D7DW21&pd_rd_r=f324ab52-687a-4fdc-831a-401fa5b345bd&pd_rd_w=8mPBT&pd_rd_wg=ZXPO2&pf_rd_p=6d29ef56-fc35-411a-8a8e-7114f01518f7&pf_rd_r=EAEW50T9MEGKRWBXEC4C&psc=1&qid=1578976255)

Thank you! I will check that one out for sure!

Erinliz
January 14th, 2020, 12:06 PM
I bought mine from Nnembas on Etsy, an elasticated one. The elastic started rubbing away at my hairline (then was giving me wrinkles when I tried wearing it further down my forehead) so I modified it to be a 'drawstring' with satin ribbon - much better. Face and hair are very pleased with that :D

I like the drawstring idea. Was it difficult to alter?

desisparkles
January 14th, 2020, 12:10 PM

use satin or silk pillow cases, it really does wonders!

I use a silk scarf and tie it and wear a cotton buff that I bought at walmart like a headband to kind of secure it on my head. Sometimes I just wear 2 cotton buffs - 1 marge simpson style tied at the top then the second around my hairline to secure it while I sleep and that also does wonders.

Erinliz I love your natural hair - saw your post in the salt and pepper thread - I'm year of the monkey too! also, I'm very random as you can probably tell.

Erinliz
January 14th, 2020, 01:37 PM
use satin or silk pillow cases, it really does wonders!

I use a silk scarf and tie it and wear a cotton buff that I bought at walmart like a headband to kind of secure it on my head. Sometimes I just wear 2 cotton buffs - 1 marge simpson style tied at the top then the second around my hairline to secure it while I sleep and that also does wonders.

Erinliz I love your natural hair - saw your post in the salt and pepper thread - I'm year of the monkey too! also, I'm very random as you can probably tell.

Ha ha! Thank you. This is a good place to be a bit random lol. Do you use a satin pillowcase and a silk scarf? I feel like I'd be sliding all over the place, but maybe using the cotton headband would make the difference. That would help to keep it in place. I like that idea a lot.

desisparkles
January 14th, 2020, 02:02 PM
I do use both most days without slipping but lots of times I will just be so sleepy that I bun with a scrunchie and sleep just on the satin pillowcases I get at Ross. The satin is good for skin too, so win win!

I looked into silk scarves and cringed at the price. The only reason I have one is my hubs gifted me one he got overseas.
I love satin and even have used a satin pillowcase that got ripped in the wash as a scarf too.

MusicalSpoons
January 14th, 2020, 03:17 PM
I like the drawstring idea. Was it difficult to alter?

I was able to get hold of the elastic inside after unpicking a couple of stitches on the main seam where everything came together, then sewed two pieces of satin onto it before cutting the elastic in between the two bits of satin to make the drawstring. If that made any sense! She does sell ones you tie up anyway, and if I ever have to replace it I think I'd just go for that :)

I still bun my hair underneath just for ease of detangling the next morning, but the cap protects my wispies and the rest of my canopy; also the bun is usually looser at the scalp than in the daytime so if it falls out at night it's still fine.

I also sleep on a satin pillowcase (cheap, from China on eBay or Amazon) anyway so if I tie my cap too loose and it falls partly off, it minimises any potential damage :p

Nineteenbirds
January 14th, 2020, 10:25 PM

I have a big silk scarf that I tie around my head, AND a satin pillowcase, and I still get a little breakage on the sides because I tend to push my face into my pillow when I sleep. But this cap on Amazon looks like it might be more comfortable, so thanks for posting it.

The-Young-Maid
January 14th, 2020, 11:56 PM
I have a big silk scarf that I tie around my head, AND a satin pillowcase, and I still get a little breakage on the sides because I tend to push my face into my pillow when I sleep. But this cap on Amazon looks like it might be more comfortable, so thanks for posting it.

I just wanted to add that I also wear a wide fabric headband at night to keep the cap from sliding too much. I move around lots when I sleep but with a headband(cotton?) underneath i've found it generally stays put. Plus you could alter it to make it longer if need be. Its a simple design that can be easily reproduced if you're crafty and don't mind working with satin.

For anyone who does try it just keep in mind that Amazon will send you a random color. I've received black and pink so far.

Cg
January 15th, 2020, 01:11 PM

Interesting. Mine slithered all around and then off almost immediately, and it imparted extreme static. I didn't mind throwing it away as it was also an ugly bilious colour. Yet another example of YMMV.

Zesty
January 16th, 2020, 08:01 AM
I use a silk cap from AdorabellaBaby on Etsy. NOT cheap at all but I've had two for years and they are still going strong. They have a drawstring attached to elastic.

I go for actual silk for my caps because synthetic satin can be too hot (for me). Doesn't matter too much for my pillowcases but if it's going to be encasing my head I want it to be breathable.

Anyway, not for everyone, especially with how pricey they are, but my two cents.

shelomit
January 20th, 2020, 09:16 PM
My old one wore out, so I picked up this kind (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/stay-on-satin-satin-edge-hair-bonnet/ID=prod378411-product) at the drug store for a couple of bucks. At first I was thinking the elastic at the edge was so tight that I might end up having to alter it, but after about a week it has stretched out nicely. I've been using it now for several months to satisfaction. For what it's worth, I have mid-thigh mid-weight hair and if my hair was much thicker, I think that the "bag" of this particular cap would be a little too small to be comfortable.

For what it's worth, I loathe the additional heat of a satin pillowcase in the summer (we are very frequently over 110F/43C here), but am not bothered by satin sleep caps. They breathe pretty well, which I suppose makes a difference to having a big hulk of non-breathe-y satin-covered pillow directly underneath your head.

Ditzy Rose
January 20th, 2020, 11:13 PM
I've been thinking about getting some sort of silk scarf to tie around my bun/scalp. Admittedly, I still want something that'll look cute while protecting my poor, tired locks.

2gaits
January 21st, 2020, 09:20 PM
I was gifted a silk sleep cap at Christmas. It ties. It stays on okay but sometimes it bothers me when I try to fall asleep. Not quite sure what to do with my hair under the cap. It is light weight and breathable.

TayDragonis
January 22nd, 2020, 01:22 AM
I just got 2 mega cheap ones from Ebay. Had them for nearly 5 years, the elastic is completely gone so I have to tie them on with bandanas 🤣🤣. When I qualify (student nurse) I'm going to treat myself to a fancy one.

Stoneburnia
January 22nd, 2020, 01:37 PM
Have you looked on Mercari? I have bought two from a lady, her user name is Bedhead bonnets. She uses velvet sating for the outer and sating lining for inside. I LOVE the two I have bought from her, I would suggest typing in Satin Bonnets if your interested in looking!