PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cover grey hair blonde without peroxide?

Ab1J
January 13th, 2020, 04:03 AM
I’m getting desperate to cover my greys as I’m going out for my birthday at the weekend! I’ve bought cassia and amla but darent try that without a strand test, but my hair isn’t shedding at the moment so can’t collect enough hair! I don’t want to use anything with peroxide as my hairdresser told me in December that I have some damage, so I’m looking for a light blonde non damaging dye to plead my grey in with the rest. Help!

SleepyTangles
January 13th, 2020, 04:25 AM
Cassia gives a lovely golden light blonde on White hair, but It can be a commitment, if you have an important event maybe you could experiment with something more temporary, like a colored rinse.
I've heard of roux fancifull, but I'm no expert here

Ab1J
January 13th, 2020, 04:37 AM
Thanks Sleepy Tangles, I’ve seen some lovely results from cassia and really want to give it a go, I’m just worried about bright yellow hair! I might try doing a strand test on my head somewhere discreet. If I do go for it I think I’m going to have to try to only get it on the virgin greys anyway as the lightened parts will be more porous.

Kalamazoo
January 13th, 2020, 05:24 AM
I think argan oil might give a little yellow color?

lapushka
January 13th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Thanks Sleepy Tangles, I’ve seen some lovely results from cassia and really want to give it a go, I’m just worried about bright yellow hair! I might try doing a strand test on my head somewhere discreet. If I do go for it I think I’m going to have to try to only get it on the virgin greys anyway as the lightened parts will be more porous.

Don't do it on your head, collect shed hair and do it on that. If you are in a rush, often bad decisions come from that. Is it an option to just leave it alone until after your birthday?

Kalamazoo
January 13th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Does honey give a bit of blonde highlighting?

Ab1J
January 13th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Does honey give a bit of blonde highlighting?
I think Honey just takes colour out as it’s used for lightening, I think it contains natural peroxide- I could be wrong though! I’m trying to deposit a bit of colour into my whites. I also read that peroxide causes hair to go grey in the first place so I’m trying to avoid it if I can.

Ab1J
January 13th, 2020, 07:59 AM
Don't do it on your head, collect shed hair and do it on that. If you are in a rush, often bad decisions come from that. Is it an option to just leave it alone until after your birthday?
That’s so true! I will have to wait a while then as since getting it cut I’m barely losing any hair which I guess is a good thing. I’ve just ordered some Maria Nila colour refresh in Sand colour so will try that tomorrow. It’s only temporary but hopefully will see me through until after my night out ����

lapushka
January 13th, 2020, 08:44 AM
That’s so true! I will have to wait a while then as since getting it cut I’m barely losing any hair which I guess is a good thing. I’ve just ordered some Maria Nila colour refresh in Sand colour so will try that tomorrow. It’s only temporary but hopefully will see me through until after my night out ����

Is that a semi? Better option than any natural dye (IMO) if you want something very temporary.

Good luck! :)

Joules
January 13th, 2020, 08:47 AM
Herbal dyes are very permanent. Once you applied them on your head, there's no going back. And they don't bleach very well, if you go the cassia route you won't be able to achieve ashy blonde any time soon (in case you one day decide to do it).

lapushka
January 13th, 2020, 09:13 AM
Herbal dyes are very permanent. Once you applied them on your head, there's no going back. And they don't bleach very well, if you go the cassia route you won't be able to achieve ashy blonde any time soon (in case you one day decide to do it).

Very true! ^^ Herbal dyes are quite warm in tone!

Ab1J
January 13th, 2020, 09:34 AM
No it’s a wash out temporary colour Maria Nila Hair Colour Refresh - Sand 8.32 100ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723BBL9F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5UjhEb9YAVRHG

Groovy Granny
January 13th, 2020, 10:19 AM
I think argan oil might give a little yellow color?

It will ...but it happens over time, and it is not with a one time application.

Plus it stained my whites before my silvers...and not everyone experiences staining when they use it.

MusicalSpoons
January 13th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Just FYI, honey barely bleaches and only if the exact conditions are right (temperature, pH, and if the honey hasn't been heated in production enough to destroy the peroxide already). There is a whole thread about it on the henna subforum :)

As for cassia alone, no it's not permanent. The colour comes from chrysophanic acid which washes out/wears off after a few weeks. I actually think a test strand somewhere discreet on your head would be fine - you know the potential colour result could be very yellow and if you're willing to deal with that on a strand of hair that's really hidden, I see no reason why not :shrug:

But semi-permanent, wash-in/wash-out colour is a great way to go for quick, reasonably reliable results :)

chrissy-b
January 13th, 2020, 10:40 AM
No it’s a wash out temporary colour Maria Nila Hair Colour Refresh - Sand 8.32 100ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723BBL9F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5UjhEb9YAVRHG

This looks similar to another product I've used -- Sebastian Cellophanes Color Revitalizer. It's a deposit only color and last only a couple of washes.