PDA

View Full Version : Halo Extensions

Ilyem
January 8th, 2020, 12:46 PM
So I have just ordered myself a set of halo extensions from a company called Zala and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them and could give me advice or their thoughts on them.

The reason I got them is because I have unbelievely thin hair (it doesn't look like it does on my profile picture) and I've realised that my hair just physically can't grow any longer than BSL because it breaks off so easily. This has hurt me emotionally for so long, I tried growing my hair naturally for years now but it just gets worse and worse so extensions are pretty much my only option now. The good thing about halo extensions compared to clip-ins or permanant ones however is that they theoretically shouldn't create any damage whatsoever since they're not actually attatched to my hair and rather just hanging on my head.

Please don't shame me for going the fake route. I simply couldn't stand the state my hair is in any longer and there is nothing I can do to fix it as it is genetics.

Kalamazoo
January 8th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Let's see here. What tricks have I used to make my hair look thicker? Caboki powder on the scalp, Secret Extensions by Daisy Fuentes, and let's not forget the 99-cent fake hair braided headbands from eBay. I tried some others, too, but those are the ones that I think look good & still use from time to time. Perhaps my hair will someday grow thick enough so I won't feel the need to supplement it.

ETA: But my hair has now grown longer than the Secret Extensions, so they look a little weird...

Ilyem
January 8th, 2020, 01:05 PM
Let's see here. What tricks have I used to make my hair look thicker? Caboki powder on the scalp, Secret Extensions by Daisy Fuentes, and let's not forget the 99-cent fake hair braided headbands from eBay. I tried some others, too, but those are the ones that I think look good & still use from time to time. Perhaps my hair will someday grow thick enough so I won't feel the need to supplement it.

ETA: But my hair has now grown longer than the Secret Extensions, so they look a little weird...

Thank you for the tips :)

Kalamazoo
January 8th, 2020, 01:09 PM
Da nada. Peace!

bparnell75
January 9th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I hear your heart ache. too have used these which help with thickening the hair. Now my problem is that the front of the hair is getting so thin that my signature Poof is dying. How do you add extension to the front....don't think it an be done. So no shaing from here.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2020, 11:07 AM
No shaming here, it sounds like you're being sensible with the type of extensions you're considering :)

I just want to check though, have you been wearing it up in truly protective styles whilst trying to grow it? I'm just wondering if possibly wearing it down or in a way that doesn't protect the ends as much as you'd hope is causing it to break off before it stops growing (a false terminal). [However this is kind of a technicality because if wearing it up meant you could grow a few more inches but didn't enjoy it, you may feel there would be little point anyway. It's your hair and you should be able to enjoy it however you want :flower:]

cjk
January 9th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Halo. Aren't those the one with the fishing line headband?

Actually a pretty good design. Should not create much, if any, damage. Nice choice.

As for the poof in the front, are you talking about length or volume? A bump can provide a base on which to build volume. Pretty common with pompadours and other higher volume hairstyles.

Because I'm much more into braiding, I have purchased kanekalon in the past.

There's nothing wrong with extensions.

Siv
January 9th, 2020, 11:44 AM
So I have just ordered myself a set of halo extensions from a company called Zala and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them and could give me advice or their thoughts on them.

The reason I got them is because I have unbelievely thin hair (it doesn't look like it does on my profile picture) and I've realised that my hair just physically can't grow any longer than BSL because it breaks off so easily. This has hurt me emotionally for so long, I tried growing my hair naturally for years now but it just gets worse and worse so extensions are pretty much my only option now. The good thing about halo extensions compared to clip-ins or permanant ones however is that they theoretically shouldn't create any damage whatsoever since they're not actually attatched to my hair and rather just hanging on my head.

Please don't shame me for going the fake route. I simply couldn't stand the state my hair is in any longer and there is nothing I can do to fix it as it is genetics.

No experience here, but I'm interested in buying some too, to create big hairstyles. Also I'm sorry you're feeling crappy about your hair :grouphug:

wishy
January 9th, 2020, 03:24 PM
I understand the frustrations of having thin hair. I'm also an i and dang I wish it were just a bit thicker! There is so just so much hair advice and styles that don't work for my hair due to how thin it is. I hope you enjoy your extensions and I hope they are comfy to wear! I would really love to try the halo kind someday too.

unheardletters
January 9th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Halo extensions do have some clips, otherwise it can fall off. I’ve never used them, but I know people who do.
also I’ve heard that the wire digs in and really hurts if worn for more than a couple hours.

lapushka
January 9th, 2020, 05:18 PM
My mom has F i hair. It is marker/sharpie ponytail circumference. When she roller sets it, it is difficult to draw "parts" because it is that thin, not that she has bald spots or excessive thinning on the scalp, it's just... the way it grows.

Due to hairspray use, daily brushing out of that, and only washing every 2 months (very dry scalp), she has very thin hair in front. Nothing can be done. I don't think she would like extensions.

I do have to say, your avatar looks great.
And I am not just saying that! :) :flower:

I'm not going to ask, "Is it really that bad/thin?" because only you know. If you feel that you have to go with extensions, then that's what you should do. I only hope the hair doesn't go "thinner" from the weight of these. Because if you do too much, the weight can probably do damage to the finer thinner strands.

I wish you the best of luck. I know what it's like (I'm very close to my mom).

Ilyem
January 12th, 2020, 02:21 PM
No shaming here, it sounds like you're being sensible with the type of extensions you're considering :)

I just want to check though, have you been wearing it up in truly protective styles whilst trying to grow it? I'm just wondering if possibly wearing it down or in a way that doesn't protect the ends as much as you'd hope is causing it to break off before it stops growing (a false terminal). [However this is kind of a technicality because if wearing it up meant you could grow a few more inches but didn't enjoy it, you may feel there would be little point anyway. It's your hair and you should be able to enjoy it however you want :flower:]

I've tried everything: braids, buns, low ponytails, simply having it down. I enjoy having my hair up but it doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of breakage for a reason beyond my grasp. I have been perplexed about this issue for years and have come to the conclusion that my hair must have become finer over the past few years resulting in it breaking much easier even when I now where the most protective styles theory wise (loose buns but not so loose that the hair is falling out, and loose braids.) My face framing layers have suffered especially and my mum has even commented on it which is saddening. I hope it's temporary.

Ilyem
January 12th, 2020, 02:23 PM
My mom has F i hair. It is marker/sharpie ponytail circumference. When she roller sets it, it is difficult to draw "parts" because it is that thin, not that she has bald spots or excessive thinning on the scalp, it's just... the way it grows.

Due to hairspray use, daily brushing out of that, and only washing every 2 months (very dry scalp), she has very thin hair in front. Nothing can be done. I don't think she would like extensions.

I do have to say, your avatar looks great.
And I am not just saying that! :) :flower:

I'm not going to ask, "Is it really that bad/thin?" because only you know. If you feel that you have to go with extensions, then that's what you should do. I only hope the hair doesn't go "thinner" from the weight of these. Because if you do too much, the weight can probably do damage to the finer thinner strands.

I wish you the best of luck. I know what it's like (I'm very close to my mom).

Thank you. I appreciate your niceness :)

Marymary
January 12th, 2020, 03:04 PM
These sound like a really good option for giving a bit of a boost without damage. really interested how you get on with them.

MusicalSpoons
January 12th, 2020, 03:49 PM
I've tried everything: braids, buns, low ponytails, simply having it down. I enjoy having my hair up but it doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of breakage for a reason beyond my grasp. I have been perplexed about this issue for years and have come to the conclusion that my hair must have become finer over the past few years resulting in it breaking much easier even when I now where the most protective styles theory wise (loose buns but not so loose that the hair is falling out, and loose braids.) My face framing layers have suffered especially and my mum has even commented on it which is saddening. I hope it's temporary.

May I ask what types of buns and how you secured them? Ponytails are not protective and for many of us braids aren't really either.

Either way it does sound like your hair won't grow exceptionally long, I'm just trying to pinpoint if there's anything fairly simple that might help.

The other aspect is to make sure everything internally is okay (hormones, vitamins, minerals, any underlying medical issues, nutrition) because certain deficiencies and imbalances result in weaker hair that is more prone to breaking. I'm simply mentioning these as things just to check in case you haven't already considered them :flower:

2gaits
January 12th, 2020, 08:29 PM
I would like to know how the extensions work for you. I've considered them for when I want more hair for certain braided styles etc.

Kalamazoo
January 13th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Halo extensions do have some clips, otherwise it can fall off. I’ve never used them, but I know people who do.
also I’ve heard that the wire digs in and really hurts if worn for more than a couple hours.

The Secret Extensions do not have clips. They simply hang from a single elastic thread, like an elastic headband. They're the most damage-free extensions I've seen.

Ilyem
January 13th, 2020, 11:54 AM
May I ask what types of buns and how you secured them? Ponytails are not protective and for many of us braids aren't really either.

Either way it does sound like your hair won't grow exceptionally long, I'm just trying to pinpoint if there's anything fairly simple that might help.

The other aspect is to make sure everything internally is okay (hormones, vitamins, minerals, any underlying medical issues, nutrition) because certain deficiencies and imbalances result in weaker hair that is more prone to breaking. I'm simply mentioning these as things just to check in case you haven't already considered them :flower:

I'm not sure of the name of the bun but essentially it is the most simple one. I twist my hair and then twirl it round and secure it with a velvet scrunchie.

I had a blood test as well regarding the issue and was told that everything was fine, I supposedly don't have any deficiencies. However it was the NHS trying to save money so they probably didn't test every possible option. A common issue for hair loss is thyroid issues but that's ruled out because I don't have any other symptoms such as weight gain/loss which is the major symptom.

Ilyem
January 13th, 2020, 11:58 AM
I would like to know how the extensions work for you. I've considered them for when I want more hair for certain braided styles etc.

I'll let you know once I recieve them through the post, so in a few days time. I also want to do braids with them as I find that one of the most beautiful hairstyles.

My plan is to cut them to an inch longer than my hair and to very lightly layer them if required so that they blend in more naturally with my own hair and I can wear them straight rather than having to faff about every morning curling them and causing damage to my own hair along the way. My other worry is that honey blonde will be a little to light on the roots as my natural hair is ash blonde on the roots and lighter on the ends so I may dye the roots of the extensions if they're visible which is not that likely.

MusicalSpoons
January 13th, 2020, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure of the name of the bun but essentially it is the most simple one. I twist my hair and then twirl it round and secure it with a velvet scrunchie.

I had a blood test as well regarding the issue and was told that everything was fine, I supposedly don't have any deficiencies. However it was the NHS trying to save money so they probably didn't test every possible option. A common issue for hair loss is thyroid issues but that's ruled out because I don't have any other symptoms such as weight gain/loss which is the major symptom.

Ah, that's a cinnabun. Sounds fairly protective :)

Ugh, I sympathise re: blood tests! Have you asked for a copy of your results? That way you can see for yourself where in the range all the 'normal' results are, and you can then address any low levels yourself (not likely to get any help on the NHS for that though). As for thyroid, my aunt has hypothyroidism and is absolutely tiny - to the point where they can't give her any medication to deal with it because she can't afford to lose weight! The other major symptoms are fatigue, feeling cold, and skin changes e.g. being dry. For hyperthyroidism it's pretty much the opposite, except fatigue is consistent, also palpitations. Of course even if you can get a thyroid blood test out of them, they only do the basic unless there are any abnormal results. For the common, simple thyroid conditions they are fine (sort of) but they don't test for the more unusual types of wonky thyroid, which require FT3 and antibody tests. However if you are certain you have none of the other symptoms of any thyroid issue then I wouldn't worry too much.

Vitamin D is the other big one, which they don't routinely test for on the NHS.

There is an option for private blood tests, which may or may not be worth the money to you for peace of mind - I'm not mentioning these as a suggestion necessarily, or even asking you to respond, honestly just saying that it may be an option *if* you wished to investigate further and the NHS refuse to help :)

Untressed
January 13th, 2020, 02:11 PM
I think you will love your halo and I wish you all the best.

In October I suffered a massive hair loss due to a health related shed. While my hair looks ok most days, I hate wearing it down going out. In a span of two months, I lost half my volume. My hair was too thin for clip in extensions. I wanted a braidless sew in until I heard about how damaging they can be. I looked into halos and they seemed like a pretty good option to try but most were too short to match my length.

As my hair is wavy and most halos are straight, I constructed a halo style extension from wefted virgin wavy hair. It wasn't very complicated and I watched a youtube video from doctoredlocks first. It turned out beautifully. I've only worn it a few times but I plan on keeping it. It's the same length as my hair so it blends perfectly. I plan on making more of them as my hair grows longer.

lapushka
January 13th, 2020, 04:27 PM

Thyroid is standard testing in Belgium. I'm so sad that they won't test because you don't have symptoms. My aunt had problems in her teens and didn't have symptoms either; just discovered during a standard blood test. She had to have radioactive iodine. She hasn't had problems since and doesn't have to take medication since her teens. She's in her early 60s now.

MusicalSpoons
January 13th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Thyroid is standard testing in Belgium. I'm so sad that they won't test because you don't have symptoms. My aunt had problems in her teens and didn't have symptoms either; just discovered during a standard blood test. She had to have radioactive iodine. She hasn't had problems since and doesn't have to take medication since her teens. She's in her early 60s now.

Haaahaha the standard tests on the NHS are full blood count, kidney function, liver function, and maybe blood glucose. Anything else has to be more specifically indicated, and you'll only get the 'standard' tests if you're actually feeling unwell in the first place. Although, if you're between 40-74, haven't had a stroke and have no known conditions, you're entitled to a health check once every 5 years - do we have an emoji for a sarcastic thumbs-up? [/rant]

Anyway, that's off-topic. Back on track!

Edit: don't get me wrong, I am incredibly grateful for the NHS. It's pretty good at keeping people alive and finances are generally not an issue at the point of use (though of course the general population do have to pay towards prescriptions, dental care, and optical care). It is just a bit soul-destroying that due to the immense pressure and lack of funding, quality of life is not a priority in the guidelines.

Spikey
January 13th, 2020, 06:11 PM
Nothing useful to say, but I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I hope you find a good solution. If you get the extensions, post pictures! There's never shame in doing something with your hair that will make you happy.

Belgrade Beauty
January 14th, 2020, 11:41 AM
Can you give me a link where to buy?

Untressed
January 16th, 2020, 03:25 PM
I think the OP mentioned Zala Hair. They have a website listed as: https://www.zalahair.com/