PDA

View Full Version : Do Beanies cause mechanical damage?

HairWitch
January 8th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I looked, but didn't see a thread already posted for this.
Do beanies cause mechanical damage? Specifically the loose-ish floppy style. I have quite a few, but now that I'm really conscious of hair health, I'd hate to cause breakage by frequently wearing a beanie. Any insights?

Zesty
January 8th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Unless it's particularly rough or tight I wouldn't worry about it. It might even be protective, depending on how you wear it. :)

SleepyTangles
January 8th, 2020, 12:01 PM
I agree with Zesty, depends on the material. If itīs coarse wool or a scratchy knit, maybe a lining with a smooth fabric can help.

Kalamazoo
January 8th, 2020, 12:09 PM
Over on the Scandinavian thread https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150680&page=5 they've been talking about silk beanies to wear under woolen or fur-lined hoods, hats, etc., to protect one's hair from rougher fibers.

Zesty
January 8th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Yes, satin-lined in some fashion is ideal! I forget that not all beanies have a satin lining. :doh: All my hats do.

lapushka
January 8th, 2020, 01:11 PM
I think mechanical damage when it comes to rough detangling or something like that, so really "attacking" the strands with some rough manipulation and handling. I wouldn't count a hat as "able" to cause that much damage, just friction maybe, yes. But to go as far as call that mechanical damage, IMO, is going a little too far.

Of course you always have to be careful with rougher materials (for friction), but a little satin lining and you're good to go. And to top it off, they sell them ready-made! :)

Spikey
January 8th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Nah. Some that have really rough wool or super bad plastic-y yarn maybe. Or if they have a sewn in tag with rough edges. I think most are very safe, more than most hats. If you're really worried, you can sew in your own satin lining too!

SpottedBackson
January 9th, 2020, 01:33 PM
If you're worried you could get a satin lined one or get a roll of satin and put linings in the beanies you already own.

lakhesis
January 9th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Aliexpress finally has satin lined beanies, I got mine for like 4 dollars only, so it's a great way to try it for cheap if you want to :) I was worried it would cause static, but so far it works great!

Beckstar
January 9th, 2020, 05:23 PM
They might if the material is rough. You can always sew in a liner of a silky material.

0xalis
January 9th, 2020, 07:35 PM
They always frizz up my hair, so I tie my satin pillowcase (which pretty much just acts as a scarf and is ridiculously long) around my head like a hood before putting on any hats.
I haven't invested in a satin-lined hat yet, but that's the ultimate goal. It's also great at insulating heat.