PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me determine my growth rate via photo?

jane_marie
January 5th, 2020, 02:50 PM
I measure monthly but my inches gained are all over the place with a range of 1.5" to .25". I'm not sure if it's my wave or what. my newest measurement was just .25" and that doesn't look right... does it??

Is anyone willing to help me determine an average rate of growth for me? Also any advice for how to get more accurate numbers would be great. :)

I'm extremely perplexed by the whole thing so thanks to anyone that helps.

Here are my length checks for the last 5 months. If it helps I'm 5'2".

https://i.imgur.com/j7zRoeX.png?1

TreesOfEternity
January 5th, 2020, 03:18 PM
My measurements don’t make a lot of sense all the time and my hair is quite straight, it’s not an exact science.

I wait at least 3 months to measure, and always do it at the same point in my washing cicle (like wash day, or second day hair).

Also I take 3 measurements and pick the average of them, then write it in my journal. And still I seem to get a different growth each month but I can’t know if it’s my growth or my measurements. So yes it is always orientative and I would go nuts as well if I did this monthly lol.

About guessing your growth: I guess I just can’t, because I don’t know your body measures/proportions and because seeing the precision you are seeking it would be imposible to just eyeball it.

jane_marie
January 5th, 2020, 03:22 PM
My measurements don’t make a lot of sense all the time and my hair is quite straight, it’s not an exact science.

I wait at least 3 months to measure, and always do it at the same point in my washing cicle (like wash day, or second day hair).

Also I take 3 measurements and pick the average of them, then write it in my journal. And still I seem to get a different growth each month but I can’t know if it’s my growth or my measurements. So yes it is always orientative and I would go nuts as well if I did this monthly lol.

About guessing your growth: I guess I just can’t, because I don’t know your body measures/proportions and because seeing the precision you are seeking it would be imposible to just eyeball it.

Okay I'll try taking those tips. no problem on not being able to guess it I knew it was a long shot when I asked. :)

Thanks for the tips!

lapushka
January 5th, 2020, 03:46 PM

I have to agree with that. It's a lot just on sight. I would try and see what your growth is in 6 months, then divide it by 6 and see what the average is. I say 6 months, because then it "should" be about 3 inches, given a half an inch average growth rate, and you can really see and determine it.

jane_marie
January 5th, 2020, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with that. It's a lot just on sight. I would try and see what your growth is in 6 months, then divide it by 6 and see what the average is. I say 6 months, because then it "should" be about 3 inches, given a half an inch average growth rate, and you can really see and determine it.

That's a good idea! and I can more or less do it with the last five months five length check's but the result seems a bit... unrealistic.

So, when I started here my hair was just above my bra in the back. I had my DBF measure from there to where my hair hits now and that's just over 4.5". 4.5 divided by the four months it has grown is 1.125" per month.

Is that unusual? I have noticed that my hair seems to have grown a bit faster than other's in my milestone thread... but that seems unrealistic... doesn't it? Then again, now that I think about it, I get my bangs cut super short. I have a scar 1" over my brow line and I get a baby bang that just barely covers it. I always get them cut when my hair reaches my brow and I just happen to get cut them once a month.

If it does grow that fast I'll easily be at BCL by this time next year and that's weird isn't it?

Is it unheard of to grow over an inch a month? ...and If that is how fast it's growing then why are my measurements so flawed?

MusicalSpoons
January 5th, 2020, 04:10 PM
I occasionally measure hair length but too calculate my average growth rate I just took notice of how long it took to reach the next milestone (whatever that was) and how far away it was. I've only been measuring since just after classic length anyway so it's all a bit inexact :lol: but it did help me not to obsess, because I definitely have that kind of personality.

Edit: a faster than average growth rate is not uncommon, because the average being what it is means by default that there will be higher and lower rates! Over an inch per month is uncommon, but not ridiculous. You may also find there's variation between seasons, and it may slow down over certain months and all average out over the year to something closer to the usual 'average' anyway. But even if not, that would be really cool! Time will tell, of course :)

jane_marie
January 5th, 2020, 04:11 PM
I occasionally measure hair length but too calculate my average growth rate I just took notice of how long it took to reach the next milestone (whatever that was) and how far away it was. I've only been measuring since just after classic length anyway so it's all a bit inexact :lol: but it did help me not to obsess, because I definitely have that kind of personality.

You and me both sister.

MusicalSpoons
January 5th, 2020, 04:15 PM
You and me both sister.

I want to say :hifive: if only it weren't such a frustrating trait ;)

(Btw edited my last post because I didn't see your one just before it until I'd posted.)

blackgothicdoll
January 5th, 2020, 04:17 PM
It's possible, some people's hair just grows fast. That's the genetics part of things. I get periods of time where my hair seems to not grow at all, then I get fast spurts. That's why I prefer measuring in 3 month increments (or seasons). You could try the seasonal growth thread if you wanna take that for a spin along with your monthly shots, then may be you'll see a trend?

blackgothicdoll
January 5th, 2020, 04:19 PM

Edit: a faster than average growth rate is not uncommon, because the average being what it is means by default that there will be higher and lower rates! Over an inch per month is uncommon, but not ridiculous. You may also find there's variation between seasons, and it may slow down over certain months and all average out over the year to something closer to the usual 'average' anyway. But even if not, that would be really cool! Time will tell, of course :)

Whoa, get out of my brain lol. I must have posted while you were editting :o

wishy
January 9th, 2020, 01:28 PM
I have only been measuring for a few months, but I'm clocking in about an inch a month as well. Not sure if this is normal for me or just a spurt, but after a recent mega shed I am counting my blessings with however long this growth rate lasts me!

I like the idea of taking 3 measurements each time and averaging them. I'm having my husband help me measure a few times a month -- He gets to make the call and I just go with that number so I don't have to stress out about where I think the hair is hitting on the tape :pinktongue: