PDA

View Full Version : Wearing long hair down

MadelineMomo
December 31st, 2019, 10:16 AM
I know well that most of us wear our hair up most of the time, and for good reason. But I want to wear my hair down once or twice a month, to enjoy it. My hair is hip-length, wavy, and I don't know how to make it not frizz when I wear it down.

Also, how about sitting in chairs? Do you put it in front of your shoulders then?

Ylva
December 31st, 2019, 10:24 AM
I’ve never been overly fussed about such. My hair was at TBL before I’d ever worn it in a bun. I lived in a braid, basically, and my hair didn’t look terrible at all. Sitting in a chair, you could take it to the front, yes, or just carefully place it over the back rest if you’re not leaning back and forth a lot.

Elodea
December 31st, 2019, 10:47 AM
I know well that most of us wear our hair up most of the time, and for good reason. But I want to wear my hair down once or twice a month, to enjoy it. My hair is hip-length, wavy, and I don't know how to make it not frizz when I wear it down.

Also, how about sitting in chairs? Do you put it in front of your shoulders then?

I just make sure I'm not sitting in a way that pulls on my hair; I never really paid attention to where exactly I place it. I don't have any advice about minimizing the frizz though.

Groovy Granny
December 31st, 2019, 10:53 AM
I love wearing it down in cooler seasons.

Biosilk Serum is my Holy Grail Product for frizz or static; just a few drops does it as needed, and I apply it to my ends before doing my sleep braids.

My hair placement is adjusted as I feel it; if it is pulling or caught, I just move it.

Only in certain circumstances....like needing a hood or to be contained in wind etc, are there pre-planned actions/styles.

akurah
December 31st, 2019, 11:04 AM
When I wear my hair down and want to sit in a chair, the "middle" of my hair is over my left shoulder and the ends are over the right. Kind of like draping the hair over them. I don't actually do much else than that when I'm wearing my hair down at home.

MadelineMomo
December 31st, 2019, 11:12 AM
Biosilk Serum is my Holy Grail Product for frizz or static; just a few drops does it as needed, and I apply it to my ends before doing my sleep braids.

When I last had long hair, when I was 6, my mom used biosilk a lot. I assumed it was super silicone-based, but I realize now I never actually checked

Zesty
December 31st, 2019, 11:14 AM
I wear my hair down sometimes, though usually not for a full day. I pull it over one shoulder and let the ends pool in my lap when I sit down. I don't have much advice about frizz, but once or twice a month sounds just fine to me.

When I wear my hair down and want to sit in a chair, the "middle" of my hair is over my left shoulder and the ends are over the right. Kind of like draping the hair over them. I don't actually do much else than that when I'm wearing my hair down at home.

I do this too, when it needs to be more out of the way.

jenn14
December 31st, 2019, 12:02 PM
My hair is tailbone length and i find that putting some oil in my hair helps a lot with frizz for me. My hair just touches the chair when I sit so soon i'm gonna have to worry about sitting on it in chairs but for now i don't pay much attention to where it lays when i sit and i don't have any problems. I still wear my hair down most days, my biggest complaints about this is that my hair collects a good amount of lint because of this, however i really enjoy wearing it down!

iforgotmylogin
December 31st, 2019, 12:13 PM
Once or twice a month? Wearing your hair out is one of the joys of having it

One inconvenience I don't see people talking about is getting it caught in underarms. Maybe it's just because my hair is BSL/MBL and I wear sleeveless tees a lot, but it happens. Still worth it

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2019, 12:30 PM
I just drape mine to the side if I'm sitting in a chair, so I'm not sitting on it - it's easy enough to do.

shelomit
December 31st, 2019, 12:49 PM
I drape mine over one shoulder if it's down (whether braided or loose).

AmaryllisRed
December 31st, 2019, 12:55 PM
When mine is down, I split it in the middle and put half over each shoulder.

akurah
December 31st, 2019, 01:40 PM
Once or twice a month? Wearing your hair out is one of the joys of having it

One inconvenience I don't see people talking about is getting it caught in underarms. Maybe it's just because my hair is BSL/MBL and I wear sleeveless tees a lot, but it happens. Still worth it

Mine doesn't get caught up in my underarms. Mine gets caught up in my legs. I'm past classic and nearly knee though.

MadelineMomo
December 31st, 2019, 02:28 PM
I ask because the ones at the lab have this fancy reclining-thingy, so when I try to wear it down, I usually end up putting it up with a stick once I'm in the lab. I'm afraid of it getting caught in the working mechanisms on the back of the chairs.

iforgotmylogin
December 31st, 2019, 02:52 PM
Mine doesn't get caught up in my underarms. Mine gets caught up in my legs. I'm past classic and nearly knee though.

I think length is why - ends can bounce around like a middle section can't

trolleypup
January 1st, 2020, 12:30 AM
I just drape mine to the side if I'm sitting in a chair, so I'm not sitting on it - it's easy enough to do.
Over one shoulder, in your lap, over the back of the chair if it is long enough...but not so long it reaches the floor.

Exactly...the thrills you have to look forward to.

Don't get too fussed about it, enjoy it down from time to time.

Sora Rose
January 1st, 2020, 07:45 AM
Whenever I wear my hair down I keep it pushed out over my back (really hard now that my bangs are closing in on BSL and love sitting in front my shoulders). When I sit, I pull it all over my left shoulder and leave the ends in my lap.

Although it's rare, rare, rare for me to wear it down. It's so windy so often that it's usually more trouble than it's worth, and I hate wearing it down in the car. But now I'm tempted to try it come warm weather...

spidermom
January 1st, 2020, 07:50 AM
Biosilk IS silicone heavy, which is lovely for taming frizz, just don't overdo it because a little goes a long way. Also use a clarifying shampoo from time to time. I have several hair-styling products in my cabinet, and they all help with frizz. They all contain silicones, too.

Dark40
January 1st, 2020, 12:49 PM

My hair is up the majority of the times too but I also always enjoy having it down everyday out of the week too. I wear my hair in all kind of different protective styles. But I prefer to wear it down all of the time more than wearing it up all of the time. Wearing your hair in a bun or a ponytail all of the time doesn't do anything but causes breakage and friction.

So yes, when it comes to sitting in chairs I pull it to the front of me.

Wendyclaire
January 1st, 2020, 01:52 PM
I never wear my hair up except for bedtime. Ponytail if cooking or doing housework. My hair isn’t as long as some (waist) so it might depend on that as to what you do with it. In public I either scrunchie it over my left shoulder or if it’s loose, drape it over my left shoulder. Never ever in public do I have it down my back or ponytail in back. I have a fear of someone cutting my ponytail off or my hair!!

Spikey
January 1st, 2020, 02:07 PM
I tend to do a back of chair scan when my hair is down and I'm taking a seat. If my your-hair-will-snag-on-this sensor is tripped, I part my hair and move it in front. Otherwise, I drape it over the back of the chair. And for what it's worth, I don't think wearing your hair down twice a month is any cause for concern about damage. Seems very reasonable for hip.

0xalis
January 1st, 2020, 09:21 PM
Satin shirts. Generally less linty, and less friction. And I personally just love the feeling of satin!
I recently got a few new ones for when my hair is longer again, especially at shoulder when the ends rub on clothes a lot.
(But I tend to put it up a lot and forget about it when trying to get to APL, it's an annoying length for me in general :P)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2020, 04:23 AM
Satin shirts. Generally less linty, and less friction. And I personally just love the feeling of satin!
I recently got a few new ones for when my hair is longer again, especially at shoulder when the ends rub on clothes a lot.
(But I tend to put it up a lot and forget about it when trying to get to APL, it's an annoying length for me in general :P)

Where do you get satin shirts from?

0xalis
January 3rd, 2020, 03:15 AM
Where do you get satin shirts from?

I search around thrift stores, tend to find them in the pajama sections but can also find them with the more formal blouses.
But I also recently snagged one at the clearance section of target ;)