PDA

View Full Version : Can hair type change?

Scelesta
December 30th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I used to have curly apl hair dyed black. Two years ago I shaved it all off after my divorce and it's grown back mostly straight at chin length in the front and slightly past the shoulders in the back that has a slight wave at the tips only.

My hair is virgin, I do water only mostly with a condition once every two weeks and I shampoo once a month. My hair is silky and doesn't have split ends and no longer frizzes up when it's dry.

I'm very confused as to what's going on with my hair. I'm not to sad about it but I'd still like to know if it's normal

Zesty
December 30th, 2019, 12:01 PM
It's perfectly normal for texture to change over time, but it's also possible that with more length it'll show a more curly/wavy pattern that is closer to what you had before.

Also are you doing anything different with your routine? If you were using product to encourage curls in the past and aren't now, that might also change its appearance.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 30th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Yes, it can and I'm not sure why it does - maybe it's a hormonal thing?

HaMalka
December 30th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Dying your hair can change the texture depending on the type of dye, so going from dyed black to virgin could be a contributing factor.

SleepyTangles
December 30th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Hey there Scelesta, maybe I´m wrong but I think I remember you from some years ago!
I did hear about texture changes, but usually they are gradual, in the years. My hair was straighter when I was a child, then it turned wavy with puberty.
Sudden texture changes, I´ve heard only from a past teacher of mine, a sweet lady that went through chemotherapy: other than going completely white, her hair grew back straight instead of her usual tight curly ringlets :shrug:

0xalis
December 30th, 2019, 01:23 PM
I've been wondering the same thing! My hair has been pretty straight while growing out from a buzz cut, too.
But I'm just a wavy. I do see Some evidence of my waves but I'm wondering if I'll be more of a 1c than a 2a when all is said and done?
I was a 1b as a kid, then ended up 2a as a teenager/young adult. I'm still a young adult lol but I've had short hair for the past two years.
I'm not going to be too upset if I end up with straight hair, it will be easier to look longer faster :grin:
But I did love my waves so part of me does hope they'll show up again with more length!

lapushka
December 30th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I used to have curly apl hair dyed black. Two years ago I shaved it all off after my divorce and it's grown back mostly straight at chin length in the front and slightly past the shoulders in the back that has a slight wave at the tips only.

My hair is virgin, I do water only mostly with a condition once every two weeks and I shampoo once a month. My hair is silky and doesn't have split ends and no longer frizzes up when it's dry.

I'm very confused as to what's going on with my hair. I'm not to sad about it but I'd still like to know if it's normal

Texture can change, but... but, as you go through growing it out, it might also change with the length it is and the length it will get. So it might just be because it is short(er) right now.

I'd keep an eye on it.

Happy growing! :D

Dark40
December 30th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Yes, it is perfectly normal for your hair texture of type to change over time. I'm going through the same thing right now! I was born with between wavy/straight hair but during my toddler years it grew thicker and curly. But now, as I'm aging my texture or hair type is relaxing on it's own! I was wondering if that was normal as well! I also have dyed hair too. It's dark brown almost black, and ever since I was 7 years old I had been relaxing but lately it seems like I really don't need to relax with a chemical anymore! So, that's a good thing! :) If I want to use any chemicals on it it would be the dyeing it, and that's it.

eresh
December 31st, 2019, 06:30 AM
Before I came here, and the first years here, my hair was pinstraight 1a.
I still wore it down a lot.
Then I started to braid it all the time, day and night.
When I do a hairtyping picture now, it is 1b with a slight wave.
Maybe hormonal? Could be...I am at THAT age ;)
Or maybe the constant braiding has an effect??

lapushka
December 31st, 2019, 09:05 AM
Before I came here, and the first years here, my hair was pinstraight 1a.
I still wore it down a lot.
Then I started to braid it all the time, day and night.
When I do a hairtyping picture now, it is 1b with a slight wave.
Maybe hormonal? Could be...I am at THAT age ;)
Or maybe the constant braiding has an effect??

It's awesome though and I think it looks great. Hormones are a total mystery. They work in mysterious ways.

My mom has about your "new" type. :D I often really think OMG and my hair is so thick and poofy, why, why, but then my mom goes, why can't my hair be like yours. :lol:

I guess the grass is always greener. ;)

eadwine
December 31st, 2019, 09:11 AM
Yes, can change.

My mom had nice waves before she got pregnant with me. I cost her her curls, she often said. So yeah.. hormones can do that..

StellaStellitsa
January 2nd, 2020, 11:40 AM
Yes, hair texture type can and does change. I had straight (and fine) hair in my childhood which changed to curly 3a 3b in my puberty and now in my twenties changed again to mostly wavy 2c. My mother's hair changed too. In childhood she had straight hair which changed to wavy in puberty and now in her forties her hair straightens again.

As I had found online a few years back when I searched it, it does happen but in a smaller part of the population. Aparently for most it doesn't happen. So, we are a part of the few to whom that happens.

Also, could it be that you might still develope curls but they might need more length for them to appear?