PDA

View Full Version : Anybody elses hair act weird on wash day?

Eryka
November 9th, 2008, 06:10 AM
There seems to be a cycle with my hair after its been washed:

Soaking wet: Feels good and incredibly soft
20% dry: Still soft
50% dry: The dry parts are frizzy and the ends are crunchy
80% dry: Part sticky/frizzy and feels crunchy.

After 80% is when I put it up and go to bed, generally planning something to fix my hair. When I take it out the next morning, suddenly it is soft, shiny, and quite happy looking/feeling.

Seriously, is my hair schizophrenic? Does anyone else have this?

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
My hair acts all weird too. My hair does nearly the same thing while drying except I don't put it up. I get a little worried each Thursday after I shampoo but it all turns out ok the next day. My curls are shiny, bouncy, and happy.
________
SILVERSURFER VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Mine basically does the same as yours. I think it's the water maybe reactivating curls, but on me that comes out as individual hairs curling and looking frizzy, and alot of others not having enough curl to look nice but just kind of floats up a bit. The crunchy thing is odd though, my hair tends to snag alot more being combed when just dried too.

Ryanne
November 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
My hair acts like that too.

Carina
November 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
My hair can really act crazy sometimes.My ends and roots never agree:crazyq:.Oily roots and dry ends are not easy to care for.:p:tongue:.

Katze
November 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
mine acts weird all the time. :silly:

Your description, though, sounds a bit like hair that is being washed too thoroughly. Are you using conditioner or oil? Do you make sure to condition the ends especially? CWC washing might help.

Knowing a bit more about your routine - what you wash your hair with - would help us be able to help you.

Eryka
November 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I use CO with cone and protein free conditioner. Generally I wash my hair 2 times a week with oilings (coconut & Emu) in between and scalp massages. I have it in a bun 98% of the time. I also use a cone and protein free leave in. My brushes are new ones from Kent and I wash them once a week. Only cold water touches my hair and I use no heat or styling tools/products. My hair has never been dyed.

We have really hard water here but my hair also did this when I lived in Southern California with softer water. It dried faster but I was essentially living in a desert.

Looking at my hair today its very shiny and the crunchy stickyness is gone. It seems that it goes through this freak out phase for 2 or 3 hours. Putting it up seems to "decompress it." I would damp bun it after a shower but it would NEVER dry. Case in point, I washed my hair at 5pm on Saturday and now at midnight on Sunday it is still cool in the center of my bun.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

BlndeInDisguise
November 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My hair is exactly like that as well. Something that I've found that helps the most (especially because my hair would get super tangly after washing, even though I never actually used shampoo on the ends) is washing only my scalp except once a week. The ends stay dry except for my once a week washing. Also, rinsing with vinegar has helped tremendously.

Jessikinz
November 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
My hair used to act that way, I don't know what I did to it to make it stop acting that way?? Maybe its because before I get out of the shower I do a cold water rinse? I wash my hair with warm/hot but not too hot water to wash out shampoo. I think another reason is because I don't comb or brush my hair when its wet anymore. The only things that touch my hair are my fingers and my coconut oil! I only damp bun it for a half hour to an hour after washing, and than I let it down to fully air dry.

Shari
November 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
My hair is similar, especially the 50% dry, half-frizzy, half-crunchy stage! But, when it is fully dry and brushed it is soft and shiny again.

galleth
November 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
My hair does that too... and I'm CO. Wash day is always the ugliest. I brush my hair when it's dry (so it becomes soft again), and then I put it up. The next day is fine. :S

I only wash once every 6 days though, and that's the reason why! My hair is at his best on the second and fifth day! (I WO on the fourth day). Go figure...

Eryka
November 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM
My hair does that too... and I'm CO. Wash day is always the ugliest. I brush my hair when it's dry (so it becomes soft again), and then I put it up. The next day is fine. :S

I only wash once every 6 days though, and that's the reason why! My hair is at his best on the second and fifth day! (I WO on the fourth day). Go figure...

Agreed, the day after it is hair commercial quality but on day 3 the heavy oiling comes in and then its just a grease ball until wash day.

Its a vicious cycle.

JessTheMess
November 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'm glad I'm not alone in the rebellious wash day hair!!!
The day after washing, it always looks and feels so nice though:cloud9:

Curlsgirl
November 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
My hair is always weird acting and looks like it might be frizzy and not good until it's like 90% dry. Then when it's dry I scrunch it a bit and it is great. So it's not necessarily wash day but just until it is totally dry. I think that is normal for a lot of us it seems.

lora410
November 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
If your hair is feeling sticky/tacky then that may mean you need a protein treatment.

brok3nwings
November 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
well lately my hair really feels bad until its completly dry. It doesnt feel soft until it is completly dry, even when its wet i cant really pass my hands all thought it (it is starting to tangle as it grows) . But it is really nice to see that i am not the only one... and one more thing...using non cones and giving conditioner to all my hair makes it really hard to dry. Sometimes i really have to comb when it is damp cause otherwise it takes agees...