PDA

View Full Version : cowlick? recieding hairline? Solutions?

kimchi989
December 28th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Hello everybody!
I hope you're all having a good time for the holidays.
I've a question for you? Does anyone know what's going on with the left side of my hairline?
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39511&d=1577567532
I've had that for I think 8 years now. I noticed it a few months after stopping the contraceptive pill. I read many women experience hair loss after stopping hormonal birth control. I also read most of them grew out their bald spots eventually.
Fast forward now, 8 years alter, and this "bald spot" hasn't grown. Then length you see is the length I had 8 years ago, like if he hair there would only grow that long before falling out.
It really bugs me and makes me feel insecure because, when my hair is up, you can see that the right side is flat-ish, but there's a poufy weird hair thing going on. I told myself "oh, no big deal, just bobby pin it in place and it will be fine" ... haha... no... If I bobby pin in place, you can see a huge bald spot (vs the other side). I tried: castor oil, cayenne pepper oil, mustard, ginger, onion... Nothing worked or maybe I'm doing something wrong
I really don't know what to do. I was thinking side bangs so that the hair would never be put up, but my problem with that is they never look good if not styled, and I don't use heat on my hair (I don't even own a blow drier haha).
I know it's stupid to feel insecure about that, but for me, it's one more insecurity among the others. I put my hair up all the time because it's easier for work, and it always makes me cringe to have that pouffy hair on one side :(
So, if that happened to anyone, what did you do?

lapushka
December 28th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I've just been looking at the pictures, but I see nothing out of the ordinary. Those are wispy hairs, we *all* get them. As far as a receding hairline, I see no such thing. :flower:

gingerninja
December 28th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I would say they are just the "baby" hair that grows around most people's hairline that never grows beyond several inches long, as they just have a shorter terminal length compared to the hair on the rest of your head.
I also have them and i just style my hair in buns that contain them and i barely notice they're there.

Deborah
December 28th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Yep. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your hairline looks perfectly normal.

lapushka
December 28th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Yep. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your hairline looks perfectly normal.

Yes! That's good news. I would keep your hands off the hair there, as it is truly baby fine around the hairline. No manipulation, no special treatments, nothing of the sort. Just let it be. :flower:

It's hard if you think it's something to worry about, but trust me... it isn't!

kimchi989
December 29th, 2019, 02:39 AM
That's why it's bothering me so much. It would be on both side I wouldn't have noticed, but it's only on the left side
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39550&d=1577612227

lapushka
December 29th, 2019, 05:12 AM
It still looks normal to me, and just how your hair lays. Trust me, it doesn't look any different on me when I wear an updo! I wouldn't worry. It's hard, I know, when you are dead focused on something, but try and get your mind off of this. It really really really is nothing to worry about! :flower: I would not just say that! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 29th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Mine looks just like that too, I'm sure it's quite normal! :D

TreesOfEternity
December 29th, 2019, 05:56 AM
My hairline starts just like yours, quite far back. I used to wear bangs but the part with less hair would show no matter what.
I have come to accept this eventually. Changing my part helped, because the longer hairs would come above the wispies and make them stay flat (this works with low buns, where you don’t pull the hair right back but to the sides of the head and down if that makes sense).
Another thing is using aloe Vera gel to tame them in place. Both things in combination can make it look more polished. But as the others said, it looks perfectly normal :)

E.t.a: forgot to add, nowadays I incorporate both wispies and my growing fringe in an accent braid. I make my part as I said, covering those hairs, and then just dutch braid them, headband style. Looks quite polished for work!

lapushka
December 29th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Oh, BTW, take a look at the wispies club thread, and you may start to feel a whole lot better. I'll link it for you!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555&highlight=wispies

Stray_mind
December 29th, 2019, 11:30 AM
It looks pretty normal, but maybe if you think you should have more hair in these areas, try to not pull your hair up very tight and Maybe try some hair growth serum or Essential oils like rosemary or something on your scalp. Be carefup with those though, they can cause contact dermatitis. Read up before you start using them.

SleepyTangles
December 29th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Hello! My hairline Is higher on my left side, and in general my face is quite asymmetrical. It's pretty natural for most people.
Sometimes we develop a trait later in life, I'm pretty sure my hairline was more even in my teens and early twenties.
Sometimes losing weight can draw attention to these things

shelomit
December 29th, 2019, 01:49 PM
I've always had an uneven hairline--it starts way higher on the left side than the right. I don't know if half of my genes were going for a widow's peak and the other half were having none of that, or what ( ; I can see how this would be disconcerting if it developed suddenly, though. The asymmetry does bother me, so I never pull my hair straight back from the hairline, but always keep it parted. With the part, you honestly can't tell that it's uneven at all because the strands fall the same distance down to my ears.

lapushka
December 29th, 2019, 02:41 PM
It looks pretty normal, but maybe if you think you should have more hair in these areas, try to not pull your hair up very tight and Maybe try some hair growth serum or Essential oils like rosemary or something on your scalp. Be carefup with those though, they can cause contact dermatitis. Read up before you start using them.

Very good advice. If we can't convince you, at least be veeeeery gentle with those front pieces, no manipulation, no tight updo's like Stray already mentioned, and don't rub stuff on that part, no messing with the scalp or hairs!

You could try and massaging (gently) some castor oil into that part, but it is very thick, gloopy, and oily! So I would do it before wash day. If that puts your mind at ease. :flower:

Kalamazoo
December 29th, 2019, 08:10 PM
I think human beings, in general, are assymetrical. I've only studied myself in-depth, but so far, I've noticed my left everything is bigger, eye, hand, foot, wrist, ankle, nostril. Why not the hairline too?

It does help my self-esteem on some days to dust my whispies with Kaboki powder. Somehow, if they're darker, I feel better about them. Or sometimes, I rub an oil on them that I think will help them grow & turn darker (black castor oil, neem oil, etc.), or maybe squirt them with a little (cooled-down) rosemary tea.

I've heard of a philosophy that beauty is enhanced by imperfection, so when Disney was making Tangled, they gave Rapunzel an overbite -- to make her prettier... Kind of like Marilyn Monroe's beauty mark. (Wouldn't you call that a mole?)

kimchi989
December 30th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Hi,
Thanks, I didn't tried essential oils, but I tried rosemary tea.
I never put my hair up tight, just because I hate the feeling of having a face lift due to my bun + I know that's how you kill your hairline^^
Thanks for the advice :)