PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair in the steam room?

jane_marie
December 27th, 2019, 05:06 PM
I love the steam room at the gym but I think I remember someone around here mentioning that it's damaging to hair. Is that true?

If it is true what are some ways that UI can protect my hair when I use the steam room? Will covering it with a turbie twist do the trick? Should I apply a deep conditioning treatment for while I relax in there? Any other ideas?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

blackgothicdoll
December 27th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Ooh I'd just put in some conditioner/deep conditioner to make it twice as productive. The steam should help the DC penetrate your hair, if anything.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 05:21 PM
If you go to "advanced search", then type in "sauna" and search titles only, you're going to get a lot of hits! :) Just FYI. It might help you find answers. :D

jane_marie
December 27th, 2019, 05:26 PM
If you go to "advanced search", then type in "sauna" and search titles only, you're going to get a lot of hits! :) Just FYI. It might help you find answers. :D

Yeah... I have spent literal hours trying to get the search area to work for me and I've accepted that it does not. Using it mostly just results in me finding an increased sense of anxiety. :shrug:

It's dead to me.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Yeah... I have spent literal hours trying to get the search area to work for me and I've accepted that it does not. Using it mostly just results in me finding an increased sense of anxiety. :shrug:

It's dead to me.

It works though, if you follow the directions; just make sure to go to "advanced search", and search "titles only" (that is KEY).

Ylva
December 27th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Does "steam room" = sauna? In that case, I don't try to protect my hair from it - I use it for wonderful and relaxing deep treatments. I'd say my sauna at home is one of my haircare secrets. And I am from THE sauna country. :)

jane_marie
December 27th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Does "steam room" = sauna? In that case, I don't try to protect my hair from it - I use it for wonderful and relaxing deep treatments. I'd say my sauna at home is one of my haircare secrets. And I am from THE sauna country. :)

Yes, I meant sauna. I used steam room because I didn't want it to get confused with a dry sauna. Perhaps, when I read that saunas are bad for hair it was in reference to dry saunas?

How do you think that saunas help your hair?

Now that I think of it my growth rate was a bit faster when I used the steam room more often but I just figured it was likely just a lack of exercise, and a change of seasons that has my hair growing slower.

Ylva
December 27th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Yes, I meant sauna. I used steam room because I didn't want it to get confused with a dry sauna. Perhaps, when I read that saunas are bad for hair it was in reference to dry saunas?

How do you think that saunas help your hair?

Now that I think of it my growth rate was a bit faster when I used the steam room more often but I just figured it was likely just a lack of exercise, and a change of seasons that has my hair growing slower.

I don't think of saunas as dry or steamy, they're all just saunas to me. When you throw water on the stones, they all become humid. I'm not well-versed in foreign public saunas.

I just smack my conditioner/mask on and let the heat work its magic.

jane_marie
December 27th, 2019, 06:34 PM
I don't think of saunas as dry or steamy, they're all just saunas to me. When you throw water on the stones, they all become humid. I'm not well-versed in foreign public saunas.

I just smack my conditioner/mask on and let the heat work its magic.

That makes sense. Next time I use the one at the gym I'll just do a deep conditioning mask.

Thank you!