PDA

View Full Version : a year on average for each hair length goal?

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I am thinking it takes a year to reach each goal. for me I found;

2005-2006 pixie cut to just touching shoulders
2006-2007 shoulders to APL
2007-2008 APL-BSL
2008-2009 BSL-waist oh please!

anybody else notice this?

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I can't really remember the shorter lengths as i was trimming more etc....but i've cut my hair from waist to bra strap a few times and each time it's taken a year to grow back. I'm 5ft4 if that helps. Waist to hip took roughly a year too....i think.

Shypii90
November 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
lol so far its been

2007-2008: shaved - really short
late 2007 - late 2008: really really short - very short!

so basically even though my hair is actually shoulder-length or so, it looks 3 inches long :P
I think if my hair is waist length it will actually look APL!
curly hair is hard indeed..

shay_48328
November 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Seems like the way it works.

I cut from BSL up to just below the shoulders around 5 months ago and I'm expecting to get that length back by next year, around the same time.

Future CCC-SLP
November 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I have found (for me at least) the shorter hair goals like shoulder, apl, bra strap didn't take to long to reach maybe because the distance between them isn't too far and my hair kept chugging along. but now that I'm past bra strap I feel that I'm just hovering around mid-back. It could be that the distance between bsl and waist is a lot farther than any other milestone I've reached. I was hoping to achieve waist this year but it doesn't seem physically possible so I'm shooting for a solid confirmation of waist in 2009!

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
August 11, 2007
http://images42.fotki.com/v1375/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_0858-vi.jpg

End of August 2008 (1/2 updo)
http://images43.fotki.com/v1389/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_1578-vi.jpg

Yesterday

http://images115.fotki.com/v685/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_2085-vi.jpghttp://images32.fotki.com/v1102/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_2090-vi.jpg

I gained 9 inches my first year. I am sure I will gain 12+ inches this second year. I started taking Biotin, B6&12, and MSM and now I'm growing at 1" or more per month.:cheese:
________
Volcano digital (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

rymorg2
November 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I get an average of 3/4" to 1" a month. Always have. It grows slower at different times of the year...but winter seems to be my fast time. Go figure. Anyway, I always take prenatal vitamins and I think they help. My hair also grows slower from chin to shoulders, and faster from then on. I think the weight pulls it down. So from shoulder, where I am, to APL should take about 6 months. If I don't touch it. APL to BSL should take about another 6 months. So in about a year I'll be past BSL probably and longer than it was before. IF I don't touch it. I'm doing the wear hair up challenge to make sure I don't touch it LOL.

darkwaves
November 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I hadn't thought about this -- but even with the little bit of length I've been maintaining each year (cutting off damage), I think you're right.

My hair was about shoulder length in 05, below armpit in 06, below mid-back in 07, and now in 08, it's about waist. From here on, I don't know -- it seems to be growing very slowly right now, or maybe that's because of trims. (For what it's worth, I'm guessing at least three more years for me to get to Classic... one to hips, one to tailbone, and then one more.)

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have found (for me at least) the shorter hair goals like shoulder, apl, bra strap didn't take to long to reach maybe because the distance between them isn't too far and my hair kept chugging along. but now that I'm past bra strap I feel that I'm just hovering around mid-back. It could be that the distance between bsl and waist is a lot farther than any other milestone I've reached. I was hoping to achieve waist this year but it doesn't seem physically possible so I'm shooting for a solid confirmation of waist in 2009!

The thing i find, is once my hair gets past bra strap it seems to not be growing and always looks BSL-ish then suddenly i realise that it's waistlength and it's usually a shock. Great kind of shock though :D

Arctic
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It looks like that for me too but I can only speak theoretically, as I started to record my hair growth only August 2007. I should reach my next goal of mid back length by summer 2009, approximately a year after I reached APL. Factors that might interfere are if I trim too much (that's areal problem for me!), the longer the hair and older the ends are, the more easily they might get damaged, possible stalls that many people report to have experienced, etc etc.

Carolyn
November 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Are you factoring trims into your estimations? With trims I have gotten an average of 3" net growth per year with a 1/2" per month growth rate. Some years it's been less than that and only once did I have a 4" gain. I remember it took me about 3 years to go from shoulders to mid back and then about 3 more years to get to waist. If I hadn't trimmed at all I would have reached those milestone much sooner but I wouldn't have had the even hemline and nice ends I desired.

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I did not have the bottom layers even trimmed for the first year and had 9". I had 2" cut off in the beginning of October and I swear I'm back to the same length barely 5 weeks later.

I only plan on trimming every 6 months as necessary. I keep long graduated layers to give my curls volume and help to keep their shape.
________
Iolite vaporizer (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

truepeacenik
November 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
length goals at "milestones" on the body will be extremely variable. Being short, and short waisted, tail bone was "quick: for me (I started paying attention at a bit above waist/end of the ribcage, but classic to thigh/ fingertip is taking a long time, because I'm long legged.
Standing 157 cm (5-2), I'm looking at 19 cm (7 1/2 in) to the fingertip goal. to compare, waist to classic was 41 cm. (16 in)

From what I remember in an old lhc thread, the taller folks tended to gauge growth in measurement terms, even in goals were not.iirc.

LawyerGirl
November 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
This thread gives me hope that I will reach my goals sooner rather than later! Ha and because I'm so short... maybe mine will come quickly! LOL

truepeacenik
November 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
well, we never get 'em fast enough.... :D

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I get an average of 3/4" to 1" a month. Always have. It grows slower at different times of the year...but winter seems to be my fast time. Go figure. Anyway, I always take prenatal vitamins and I think they help. My hair also grows slower from chin to shoulders, and faster from then on. I think the weight pulls it down. So from shoulder, where I am, to APL should take about 6 months. If I don't touch it. APL to BSL should take about another 6 months. So in about a year I'll be past BSL probably and longer than it was before. IF I don't touch it. I'm doing the wear hair up challenge to make sure I don't touch it LOL.

thats makes it about right, i grow 1/2" god willing a month and take 12 months to reach each goal, it takes you half the time because you grow twice as fast as me!

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I hadn't thought about this -- but even with the little bit of length I've been maintaining each year (cutting off damage), I think you're right.

My hair was about shoulder length in 05, below armpit in 06, below mid-back in 07, and now in 08, it's about waist. From here on, I don't know -- it seems to be growing very slowly right now, or maybe that's because of trims. (For what it's worth, I'm guessing at least three more years for me to get to Classic... one to hips, one to tailbone, and then one more.)
it was your photo thread that got me to thinking of this!

neon-dream
November 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't know yet, I only started measuring my hair a few weeks ago hehe!
But I hope that's the case! By this time next year I hope to have at least waist length hair!!

Oskimosa
November 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yea, it depends on the growth rate and if you trim or not. I refuse to trim until at least BSL. I cut it above my shoulders in January (yes, face-palm!) and now am just barely but not quite to APL. I think before January 1st I'll be APL.

Jan 08 >>> November 08, 7 inches. (Rate has gone up since taking biotin)

SO If I keep up my usual growth rate, not the new one in case it's just a spurt, I should just hit BSL (25") by April!! :cheese:

HairColoredHair
November 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think the early goals are faster than the later ones... less distance between them... :)

Miyani
November 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
In 2006, I was between shoulder and apl and 2007-2008, I am bsl. I'm hoping that 2009-2010, I'll be waist length. Grow hair grow!!!!

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Mine seems to have been on a similar time-table, although waist to hip took only a few months. Then I maintained at hip for an entire year because of a massive case of the split ends. It took 3-1/2 months from hip to tailbone.

paper
November 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
It seems like I went from chin to shoulder quickly. Hitting APL feels like it's taking a long time! But, I've been trimming off layers too.

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'd say that's a good average. Shoulder to APL with microtrims has taken me six months, but I grow faster than average and am not very tall. I'm guessing I'll be at BSL before the next spring, but again, I grow fast.

BTW, your new hair siggy (at the bottom) is stunning.

Angellen
November 9th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think the early goals are faster than the later ones... less distance between them... :)

I agree. While I remember it taking ages to get from a 'flip' style to BSL, I hated my hair then, and I don't think it took me more than a year, with a trim. BSL to TB was about 15 months, but I've noticed some slowing in my growth rate, so I expect more than a year to get to classic...

tiny_teesha
November 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I suppose it depends how tall or short you are and your growth rate? I have 2 years between APL to BSL but under a year from BSL to WL.

Arcana
November 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would love for my growth rate to be such that this holds true for me, that would mean I'd be hitting my goal of waist length sometime around next Christmas (factoring in my upcoming trim). I have no idea how long the others took me because I wasn't strictly 'growing' it before, i cut it, and grew it, and then chopped off a chunk of length again. So who knows.

almmaaa
November 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well I guess I can say mine was liek that to I had kind of a little boy cut short sides and back and up to my ears on the top and it took four yrs to get to under the bsl.

Buddaphlyy
November 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I guess it depends on growth rate and body measurements of the person. It's been over 2 years since my last chemical service (which I consider coming for bald) and I'm still not even shoulder length yet. I hope to be there around April 2009 and then APL by December 2009.

missy60
November 19th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Slight hijack... but since it is your thread I thought it would be ok. Your hair is looking awesome! I just love the color and it looks so shiny.

jojo
November 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
why thank you Miss Missy60! its getting there thank heavens!!!!

squiggyflop
November 19th, 2008, 05:56 AM
my hair doesnt take that long for the smaller goals.. i think i would give up if it did..
my hair went from shoulder to waist in like 7 months.. of course after it did i ended up trimming quite a bit.. and now ive got relatively blunt ends at waist.. just 2 inches to hip.. maybe 4 or 5 months till i reach that..

however my bottom is LONG so it will most likely take me a year to reach tailbone.. then maybe a year to classic

jojo
November 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM
you are the exception to the rule dear Squiggyflop, your hair growth is phenomenal!

peachy.pudding
November 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Yes i find the same, if fact i dont even need to measure i just know where my hair will be each year, so this year i reached almost bsl and nexy year it will be waist lol

jojo
November 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
my thoughts too!

mugglemomof3
November 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
sounds about right for me too. *sigh*