PDA

View Full Version : when did you feel at peace with your hair?

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I am pleased to report (at long last!) that i feel comfortable with my hair now. Although it is not long by LHC standards, I feel long and relatively at peace with my hair.

When did you all feel at peace with the length/condition of your hair?

Red Jezebel
November 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Good for you! :) That must be a lovely feeling.

I'm at peace with the length of mine now, finally, I think. At least, I'm not aiming for longer at the moment. :D

I'm not at peace with the condition or thickness. I have a obvious taper, that I need to remedy so now I've reached a length that I'm happy with I can hopefully concentrate on reducing the taper.

My ultimate goal is to be able to do a nice wrap around crown braid - the length is finally there, but the taper makes it look lop-sided and wrong.

I guess I'm a fussy so-and-so. Maybe I'll always find something...

Shypii90
November 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I guess i'm happy with the condition of my hair.. my curls stay nicely and the colour doesn't bug me at all!! It's interesting living as a redhead until the henna grows out lol.

But the length. wow. i am so uncomfortbale with the length. i know people whose hair is shorter than mine but they look like john lennon, and mine looks like its 3-4 inches long because its so curly!! Doesn't help that it defies gravity completely.. I have to wait another year for sure before it starts behaving itself overall. That's the only part that sucks. Condition wise, i have nothing to complain about!!

Alaia
November 9th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Funnily enough, that only came recently.

I had reached my goal length (actually a couple of inches past it), but the taper and the thin-ness of the ends depressed me. Now that I've cut about 7" off, I'm at peace with it. My thickness is coming back at the top of my hair too! So I'm happy. I may have another year to go, but to have thicker ends, it's totally worth it. :D

Speckla
November 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I was finally at peace with my hair once I learned to accept that it's curly, it's turning grey, and it's beautiful and not a burden like I thought all my life.
________
KAWASAKI ZN1300A (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_ZN1300A)

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I became happy with the condition of my hair once i cut a load off this summer and removed the chemical damage.
I was happy with my length just before my first cut when it was a bit longer than the band on hipster jeans....but i had to cut because of the taper and damage so....it'll be a couple of years or so before i'm really happy with my length, but i'll be satisfied with it once it's waistlength again.

Carolyn
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It took me all my adult life so far but I finally realized I don't like my hair shorter than mid back and I don't like to have to do lots of styling. I love doing things to take care of it but I don't like complicated styling such as blow dryers and hot rollers. A few years ago I finally realized I need to stop cutting it to follow a new trend and just go with what I like.

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Once my hair passed waist, I stopped checking the length 9 times a day. Now if I could get over my split ends obsession. Sometimes I want to cut back to APL and start over!

Arctic
November 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Condition: I think I always has been pleased with it. My hair did improve after joining here but it wasn't in a bad shape to begin with.

Length: Well if we talk about BLHC (before I joined LHC) I was happy with what ever length I had. After joining here I got obsessed for a while and I got past the obsession finally after reaching APL, longest that my hair has ever been.

truepeacenik
November 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
For me, that peace (I consider the obsessing here more like a hobby) came when I accepted the red (and the skin that went with it). It helped that red became all the rage, and it helped living in the UK fpr a short while as a young adult.

I've always just let it grow for long stretches, as I've always had a serenity about letting it do what it will, even if it isn't overly interesting.
I'd cut , maybe once a year , too much, and when I met my Sweetie, he was such a fan of my letting it go and grow, that aside from a couple misguided ideas, like a perm (this is why I'm not ankle length now, three perms since I was 17) that caused considerable weakness and resulting damage (months later) and resulting cuts that took my hair back to apl/to bsl range, I've gone to benign neglect.

I say I'm at peace, and to me that means not really stressing over it. It is what it is, and I maintain it to the best of my ability. Tranquil, perhaps.
I might get crotchety over messing up a new updo, but that's just me.
I don't freak if I can't get the best new shampoo (a CV soap bar is the miracle of the month, surprisingly) or condish (I have no wonder in that: I use a condish bar, some nature's gate and vinegar rinse...and a light oiling, so I'm just looking out for my ends, really)

Copasetic
November 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
When did you all feel at peace with the length/condition of your hair?

i feel good about the length of my hair now. i *want* it to be longer, but i don't measure it obsessively all the time or anything.

the condition? . . . still working on that one ;)

naomimcc
November 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
It comes and goes. Somedays I'm totally happy with it and other days I wanna hack it.

harley mama
November 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
When I stumbled across LHC and discovered that everything I was doing to care for my hair was wrong for it. My hair and I now live in peaceful coexistence and try to respect each other! :D

sneakybea
November 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
In a sense I always have been, and in another sense it comes and goes. I see to have slow hair-growing genes, and if my hair grew faster, I might cut back to bs length to see whether I could get back the curls I had then. But I think generally speaking I'm at peace with it.

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
some great answers.

Keep them coming!:beer:

Amara
November 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have just recently been more at peace with it. I was very obsessed at first when I joined LHC and then I did a big trim this past July, taking 2" or so off (I know that's not "big big" but my usual trims are .5" so I definitely noticed the difference - I quadrupled my usual cut!) and since then I have felt very impatient about getting that length back. Now that I am about where I was before the trim, and only .5" away from "hip", I am feeling pretty happy. My goal is tailbone, and I will reach that this coming summer (in about 10 months) if all goes well. That makes me pretty happy, and I am also feeling good about the length that its at right now. I'm starting to feel it brush lower on my hips and I love it. :)

Aisha25
November 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
When I joined here and met the bestest friends ever:D!

paper
November 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I am 90% happy with my hair right now. I've found a routine and products that work for my hair. My hair is so soft and I have waves I never knew I had before. I just had the rest of my layers trimmed off that back, which makes me very happy! :D I'm still growing out layers on the side. Thats the part of my hair I hate.

Chromis
November 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Pretty soon after I joined here actually! I liked it before, though I wished it wouldn't shed so much and I had accepted it would always look a bit bleh and never be soft no matter what I did. Then I found LHC and read. And read. And read. And read some more. By the time I actually delurked to make my first post I was quite happy with my locks! (And thrilled to know all my assumptions were utterly incorrect!)

Eboshi
November 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM
When my hair reached my waist, I was able to relax a bit. When this last layer is finally trimmed off I'll probably be 99% "at peace." :meditate:

Oskimosa
November 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I've actually realized that my hair is in great condition. The day after a wash, I have very few flyaways and besides the ends my hair looks and feels great. But I don't want to trim because of all the layers and I'm too impatient to reach my goals.

I think once I reach BSL, where it was before I cut, I'll get tiny trims and just grow it as long as I feel like it. I call that hair peace. That should be sometime next spring...

Gemma
November 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Right now. :) It's not BSL yet but it feels long, it's started growing again, and I love how it feels.

Juneii
November 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
not until I reach waist at least! the layers I have makes my hair look shorter, but I don't want to cut it off because I'll loose about 10 inches! >__<

Katahdin
November 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I became at peace once I got nice, flattering bangs and when I learned to like my hair colour =)

Now I love my hair to pieces!

zen_oven
November 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I'm still not there. I feel MUCH better about my hair since joining LHC though. I've been giving my hair more TLC in the past few months, and I know it's weird but I sort of feel like my hair appreciates it and is behaving itself. :D I think I'll be more at peace with it once it gets to a length where I can even out my layers and not feel like I'm setting myself too far back. Someday. . .

Miyani
November 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not quite at peace with my length as of yet but I'm grateful that it's bra length and I'm at peace with the condition of my hair. My hair is alot softer and less dry than when I was in high school. Plus I get more waves than curls so I'm quite happy:p

Curlsgirl
November 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
It took me a while after stopping the straightening mostly and wearing my hair curly. That was 3 years ago and for a while i got obsessed with LHC but it sure has paid off. I am FINALLY loving my hair for the first time actually in my whole life!

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'll feel more at peace with it when I can just comb and airdry and it falls properly--right now I always have to damp bun! It is so aggravating. :rolleyes:

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
It took me a while after stopping the straightening mostly and wearing my hair curly. That was 3 years ago and for a while i got obsessed with LHC but it sure has paid off. I am FINALLY loving my hair for the first time actually in my whole life!

CurlsGirl, I love your texture, it is actually somewhat similar to mine, just with more defined curls!

tiny_teesha
November 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Condition : Still not there. Getting there though. I have almost 2 years regrowth (to my chin on the canopy and APL on the undergrowth) and once that reaches the ends I'll be happy :). Though with each trim I get off some of the worst ends so it only gets better. I wish it would thicken up already though! After the last trim I can notice a difference and I feel better about it! :)
Length: Still not there. Once I reach waist again I can breath a little. I don't like it shorter then waist, but my aim is TB. Ultimate is Knee.

Teacherbear
November 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I battled my hair until I was 30 or so. I either wanted my hair straighter or curlier than it was.

When I was about 30 I started to get lazier with my hair care. A few times (in a month or so) I washed my hair before going to work, but wanted my hair dry by the time I got there. I didn't have time to blow dry. So . . . I drove to work with the windows and and the heater blowing on my face. I got to school and was so busy I didn't think about my hair. I got a TON of compliments. My hair had dried naturally (pretty much) and was wavy/curly from top to bottom. After I got over the fact of "they're complimenting my hair that is knotty" and thinking how MESSY my hair was . . . I decided to try that "style" another time. I got the same amount of compliments.

Now, if I plan to wear my hair down, I let it air dry and scrunch it a little. Otherwise I let it dry how it wants.

Arcana
November 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm working on it. I love my curls, but sometimes I can't stand the frizz, or the colour feels unflattering. Mostly I've made peace with my hair, but sometimes I struggle to keep that peace.

willowcandra
November 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I was happy at waist length and hennaed. Since that I did a colour that killed the condition, and had a baby and took bc pills that made me shedd like crazy.

I am half virgin now and slowly getting thicker so I will be contented when I am all virgin and thickened up at my current length.
I will be truly happy when it's thick enough to wear loose again! it's been a couple of years since I felt good with it loose.

chicken
November 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I think that'll be next summer... my hair will be at least at waist then - and my nape hair will be so long again I can put my hair in updos again.

Curlsgirl
November 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
CurlsGirl, I love your texture, it is actually somewhat similar to mine, just with more defined curls!

Thank you!!!:grin::flower:

darkwaves
November 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM
At peace? I'm almost there...

I want long hair, and in my mind, that means hair that hangs below waist. Mine's there when wet, but not when it's dry.

Nes
November 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Wow it's great that so many of you appreciate just how great you hair really is!

I've never felt completely at peace with my hair. I used to flat iron constantly and was always on edge waiting for my natural waves to fight their way back. That was so stressful!

I'm doing better now than I was - but i'm left with a lot of damage from the irons so I guess i'll feel more peaceful once i've grown that out.

I don't think i'll ever really feel at peace, but I think that has more to do with my head than my hair if you know what I mean...

Nes x

sahiba
November 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I'am pretty happy with the way my hair feels now.

RocketDog
November 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm actually quite happy with my hair right now. It's in better condition than it has been in years, it's getting long enough to me to put it up in something other than a teensy ponytail, and LUCKILY the old dyed stuff has faded to almost the exact color as my virgin hair.

I'm sure I'll be even happier when it's longer and all the dyed stuff is trimmed away, but I'm still happy now!

joyfulmom4
November 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think for me it was when my bangs were finally grown out to be the same length as the rest of my hair. I was happy with that. Before, during the growing out phase, they always felt so awkward.

I believe my hair must have been around BSL at the time.

skydancer7
November 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I am as at peace as I can be in this moment. I have been growing out a pixie... now my hair is past my ears and I am starting to feel feminine and pretty again! I missed that feeling so much that I am as happy as can be right now. :o

I will also be happy once it finally reaches tailbone, but at least I have started to enjoy the journey a little.

Oberon88
November 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
It depends on the day, but today I threw it back in a ponytail so I didn't have to deal with it. Usually I love my hair, but I can get really frustrated with the layers and the fact that its not curly or wavy, its just wild.