PDA

View Full Version : How This Cirque Du Soleil Performer Hangs By Her Hair [Video]

MoonRabbit
December 19th, 2019, 08:15 PM
https://youtu.be/R8R6ESFMero

Stumbled across this video and thought it would be an interesting share for us fellow hair lovers.

Never would I image that hair hanging would be a thing in this world but here it is. For some reason I have found myself really appreciative of the art, it is so unique and beautiful. Thinking about all the training, pain and hair loss seems daunting and it was surprising to see that her hair is not super thick. But I LOVE it!!!

Your thoughts? :popcorn:

Groovy Granny
December 19th, 2019, 08:33 PM
That is incredible....and beautiful....but almost hurts me to watch :thud:

I can't even get comfy with a pillow some nights when my scalp is sensitive/painful....I cannot even imagine doing something like this :tmi:

Nineteenbirds
December 19th, 2019, 10:07 PM
Wow, that was really cool. Thanks for sharing it!

Like you I'm surprised that her hair isn't longer or thicker to be able to do that. I'd be curious to see how she puts it up and attaches the ring, since her safety depends on her doing it right every time. Also, I love that she plays the trombone.

ExpectoPatronum
December 19th, 2019, 10:26 PM
Oh wow! That was fascinating to watch. Thank you for sharing!

It just goes to show how strong hair can really be. She said it took months of training for her scalp to be able to bear her weight. I'd also like to know how she secures the metal ring since her safety seems to ride on that being properly secured.

lapis_lazuli
December 20th, 2019, 01:00 AM
I loved that video! She seems very pleasant and professional :) The performances are stunning; I was in awe. The inside look is so interesting, though they didn't reveal much about the hair styling. Trade secrets?

lapushka
December 20th, 2019, 04:57 AM
This is somewhat of a déjà-vu for me, because I thought we had that thread here once. :lol: I could be wrong though. I am always amazed by Cirque du Soleil's performances. Amazing!

HaMalka
December 20th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Cool and Creepy.

According to the internet (aka I google searched), the method of actually doing the hair is a secret usually passed down in circus families.

MoonRabbit
December 20th, 2019, 09:00 AM
This is somewhat of a déjà-vu for me, because I thought we had that thread here once. :lol: I could be wrong though. I am always amazed by Cirque du Soleil's performances. Amazing!

I tried doing a search but nothing came up. Kind of a hard topic to search for as well lol.

Cool and Creepy.

According to the internet (aka I google searched), the method of actually doing the hair is a secret usually passed down in circus families.

Ah well that explains it then, She does say she starts with a series of knots and builds structure from that. Talk about the worlds most sturdy bun.

lapushka
December 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I tried doing a search but nothing came up. Kind of a hard topic to search for as well lol.

I can't find it either. Maybe I'm going nutso. :lol:

Groovy Granny
December 20th, 2019, 11:18 AM
This is somewhat of a déjà-vu for me, because I thought we had that thread here once. :lol:

I can't find it either. Maybe I'm going nutso. :lol:

We did....it was about this tragedy Hair Acrobat Accident (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122611) :(

paulownia
December 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Impressive;)
It must be still a lot of pulling. It's clearly visible that her hairline is receding:doh:.

Siv
December 20th, 2019, 11:32 AM
That was awesome! I'd think she'd have tension alopecia but when she had her hair down I didn't really see anything like that. Interesting.

Siv
December 20th, 2019, 11:39 AM
We did....it was about this tragedy Hair Acrobat Accident (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122611) :(

Oh dear that's horrible!

Impressive;)
It must be still a lot of pulling. It's clearly visible that her hairline is receding:doh:.

You think? I was wondering about that but I couldn't really see anything beyond a high forehead.

ETA: I rewatched, there are few shots where you can see the receding at the "corners of the forehead" (what do you call that in English??) I guess anything for art, eh? Her show is so stunning...

branbran
December 20th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Wow Wow Wow
She is an amazing artist. I am amazed. Never seen something so beautiful.

lapushka
December 20th, 2019, 02:39 PM

O wow. GG to the rescue. :)

Groovy Granny
December 20th, 2019, 02:56 PM
O wow. GG to the rescue. :)

:cheese: happy to help!

desisparkles
December 20th, 2019, 07:29 PM
I wonder if she gets the effect of a face lift because of this? Maybe only temporarily or maybe long lasting??

so beautiful to watch for sure!!

MoonRabbit
December 21st, 2019, 08:13 AM
I wonder if she gets the effect of a face lift because of this? Maybe only temporarily or maybe long lasting??

so beautiful to watch for sure!!

I would say she would be more prone to wrinkles. You can clearly see how tight her skin is pulled back while hanging. What goes up must come down. I would image all that tension can eventually wear down elasticity. But who cares. She is a strong and beautiful woman who brings such enjoyment and awe with this art.

Kat
December 21st, 2019, 06:47 PM
Wow. Very interesting. I wonder if it's visible to the audience to understand that she is hanging by her hair, though? (I don't know if this is explained in any way. Because just watching, I would think one would assume she is suspended in some other way. I know I would. "Cool, I wonder where they hid the other straps?")

I'm very inflexible (really tight through the hips/lower back, and never 100% got my splits even as a kid), so I always think it must be amazing to be able to do beautiful things with your body.

I would say she would be more prone to wrinkles. You can clearly see how tight her skin is pulled back while hanging. What goes up must come down. I would image all that tension can eventually wear down elasticity. But who cares. She is a strong and beautiful woman who brings such enjoyment and awe with this art.

And, you never know what causes what... a person could avoid something like this and still end up with a lot of wrinkles.

SpottedBackson
December 23rd, 2019, 04:14 PM
She says that her follicles got stronger with practice... doesn't tension alopecia suggest that that doesn't happen? Because if what she says is true, when I put my hair up really tight, eventually my follicles would just get used to it?

Upside Down
December 28th, 2019, 01:35 PM
I know of hair hanging, never tried it and never really had the desire to, although it is beautiful.

It is a rare form, and kind of niche in circus, I think. Although thb I think aerial chains hurt waaay more, and are even quirkier.

And also, consider body suspension too, which can also be beautiful to watch and as people say an amazing experience. So may amazing weird ways our bodies are awesome.