PDA

View Full Version : What's a good haircare routine for fine, 2a/b type hair?

pipippappa
December 16th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Hi, I'm trying to grow my hair out, it's currently armpit length and I want to reach waist length but my hair is quite fine and dry so it get's damaged quickly. What are some tips, recipes or routines you could give me to improve the quality of my hair? Preferably natural recipes since I don't really like to use chemicals in my hair. Thank you :)

lapushka
December 16th, 2019, 11:37 AM
There's a fine/thin thread on this forum, check it out for plenty of tips and hints!

Anything's a chemical. ;) But IKWYM, you want DIY stuff. Check the natural recipes forum.

Welcome BTW! :D

Groovy Granny
December 16th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Welcome to LHC :waving:

I am not into the natural stuff, but IF you decide to use products, I :love: BIOSILK

Their shampoos, conditioners and serums are awesome!
You can get good deals on Amazon and they last a LONG time.

The 17 Miracle leave in conditioner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KWT8JZC?tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1) is indeed that...a miracle!
I love it any time....before night braids, as a post shampoo leave in or even after styling on dry hair.
Literally ...just a few squirts = less than a pea size amount total does the trick on my Hip length.

Good luck on your journey and happy growing :cheer:

MusicalSpoons
December 16th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Top tip: Wear it up in ways that protect your ends, both to prevent them drying out and to prevent mechanical damage :) I'm not sure what styles are possible at APL but there's a relevant length thread and a thread for styles with shorter hair, so hopefully you'll find some helpful ideas.

Catnip tea is apparently very good for preventing split ends, and some ingredients that give slip are marshmallow root and slippery elm - however for truly natural haircare routines it involves a lot of experimenting, so it depends how committed you are to DIY stuff. Many people have ultimately given up and gone back to conventional conditioners, for which there are many more ethical / 'more natural' options available than even a few years ago. Not that I wish to put you off truly natural haircare, but just want you to be aware that it's not a simple undertaking, and you'd have to keep a close eye on your hair to make sure it's not drying out while you're experimenting. There are some members here who have had great success with herbal washing and only natural methods, so it *can* be worth it if you find something that works for your scalp and hair.

AmberWillow
December 16th, 2019, 05:00 PM
My hair is the same as yours; regular deep conditioning and swapping some shampoo washes for cowashes has helped keep my hair more moisturised and means less tangles.