PDA

View Full Version : What's your parents hair like?

Laurab
December 13th, 2019, 09:20 AM
I've always 100% had my dad's hair.
He use to have it midway down his back in the 70's when that was the cool thing to do.
Mine's the same thickness, hairtype, we've even got roughly the same hairline.
My mom's is pretty different from mine. Similar color, but hers is much thinner and wurly, exactly like her own mother's really.
And just to throw in my brother, he's got the thickness of my dad's and the curl from my mom's side of the family, he's much more of a blend.

So I'm curious about how other people take after their parents, or not.

Half of why I'm starting this thread is to share an amusing interaction with my dad.
I've been joking with him that if he starts growing his hair out we could have matching styles next Christmas.
Me: On average it grows half an inch a month, so you'd have six inches by next Christmas!
Him: Mine grows an inch a month.
Me: What? How do you know? Do you measure
Him: Yeah, I measure.
Me: Really? How?
Him: I measure with my eyes
:laugh:
If he's right that's pretty good news for me!
But I don't fully trust his "measure with my eyes" technique lol.

guska
December 13th, 2019, 09:31 AM
My parents share the same hair type and colour: thick, coarse, straight and jet-black. Guess what I inherited :P

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 09:35 AM
My mother is a fine-haired, silky medium/dark blonde. She last had long hair over 50 years ago (buzzed ever since), but she described it as golden and stravy.

My dad is also a finey with medium/dark blonde hair. I've never seen him with particularly long hair. He keeps a shaggy kind of cut, not super short but not long by any means. His hair is definitely in the 2s at least.

Unsurprisingly, I am a finey with medium/dark blonde, wavy hair. :laugh:

RunOnCaffeine
December 13th, 2019, 09:57 AM
My mum's is thick, coarse and straight which she wears short these days.
My dad's was thin, fine and straight.
Both started to go grey young and had brunette hair.

My hair is more like mum's, but I'm not sure where the waves came from.

shelomit
December 13th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Mom has very fine, 1a, light brown hair; dad has super-thick, 4c, matte black hair. She has always worn hers short; he has varied between short and long (well, more like "large". . . long when pulled out, a 'fro most of the time!).

Ergo, I totally get why I wound up with this weird in-between-y worst-of-both-worlds kind of texture. What I don't understand is how I wound up with this dark auburn color when nobody else on either side of my family has had (natural) red or auburn hair as far as anybody's memory can stretch ( ;

AmaryllisRed
December 13th, 2019, 10:11 AM
My dad's hair is very fine and fly-away, so that's where I get that. And my mom's has a similar wave texture to mine. Interestingly, my mom dyed her hair blond for my entire childhood and when she stopped, her hair was gray. So I have no idea what her natural hair color was. :)

giraff
December 13th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Genes are funny.

Mum: Dark brown, around 3b, thick, coarse.
Dad: Even darker brown, close to black. Red beard. Probably 1a or 1b, I've never seen it very long, thin and fine.

Sibling 1: Me. Dark blonde, wavy, fine.
Sibling 2: light blond, fine, 1b, neither thin or thick
Sibling 3: Basically belated identical twin of me, he's a boy, but we have very similar traits
Sibling 4: Even lighter blonde, fine, probably 2c or 3a.

I don't think I have any of my parents' hair. Maybe my grandmother's or something, but I've never seen either of them with long hair..

TatsuOni
December 13th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Dad: Quite thick I think and M/C. I've never seen it longer than a few cm. It used to be black but it now mostly grey.

Mum: Used to be 1b/1c/F/ii. It's now 1c/2a/M/ii. It grows in medium/light brown and gets blonde during the summer.

I've "inherited my mothers hair" and the slippery Houdini-beast is most definitely from her :laugh:

Panthera
December 13th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Father 1A/f/ii
Mother 1 something/f/m/ii

I don't know where I got my texture from.:ponder:

lapis_lazuli
December 13th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Some guesswork on my part but close enough :)

Dad: 1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii
Hair is fairly thick ii/iii even now, M/C, light brown when he was a kid and darkened near black as an adult. I'd say he's in the type 1b/c range as his hair stands pretty straight up, but it's never been long enough to say for sure.

Mom: 2c/3a/M/iii
A lot like mine: Same colour, thickness, and medium-textured. Her hair was straighter as a kid but ended up 2c/3a. Nowadays it's more thinned/straightened out by chemical dyes.

I guess I take after both of them in some way :)
I've got two sisters and our hair is all pretty similar, thick M hair between 1b-2a. Only difference is in colour: my middle sis is a shade or two darker than me (like our dad), and my youngest sister has always been dark blonde.

SleepyTangles
December 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Difficult to tell: mum keeps hers short, in a pixie, held in place by lots of hairspray, and dad keeps his even shorter, buzzed, as he's balding.

In old photos, mum had beautiful, dark brown hair (probably M, 1c/2a). She has thick long lashes and full brows, and It looks like she had quite thick hair too. Both her parents had good hair genes, particularly her father, that had an impressive mane of thick curls and went to his grave at 96 with all his hair, tough snow-white. I also remember my maternal grandma as someone with a very full hairline.
My mum complains that her brothers inherited the best genes, but quite frankly my uncles do not dye their hair every month, so chemicals may have a part in it.
Iīd say that my maternal side has above average hair, even my grandpaīs sibilings have good hair (but itīs a family with outstanding genetics, people who reached 90 y.o. with all their mental and physical faculties intact).

In his youth, my dad had wavy brown hair that looked suspiciously like mine, lol. Not particularly thick, for sure. My paternal grandpa had good hair, tough not exceptional as my maternal gp.
My paternal grandmother had particularly fine, frail hair that she lost almost completely with aging due to health issues. My fatherīs sister have beautiful thick hair tough, and also my grandmaīs sisters, some got very impressive masses of hair even in old age. I mean, no consistency here :shrug:

Iīd say that my hair is more like my dadīs side (and also my general appearance). Quite frankly, I canīt find lots of resemblance between hair in generations: if you set color aside (everyone in my line has some shade of brunette/brownette hair, all different yet similar), we donīt really have any "hair twins".
My fatherīs sister have beautiful thick hair tough, and also my grandmaīs sisters, some got very impressive masses of hair even in old age. Again, Iīm not sure my hair looks like any one of them.
Plus, my hair is mostly natural (except the purple bits ;) ) while all other ladies had some kind of treatment (color, perming, etc)

My brother has a thick mane of very thick, coarse hair, one shade darker than mine. And since they are mostly straight, they tend to feel spiky, like boar bristles. He also has thicker lashes and eyebrows.
Aside from texture (Granpa was curly) heīs the closest we got to my maternal grandpa.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 01:04 PM
My hair looks like my mom's from when she was younger, the color and texture and as far as I can tell thickness too. She never had it very long though, probably APL at most.

Both my parents are completely gray at this point. My mom's has gotten a lot more texture to it but has changed again recently as it's growing back from chemo. So they both have quite short hair as well.

All my female family members comment that their hair could never grow so long, but I think it's lack of care (or interest) more than genes that stopped them. :shrug: I'm a weirdo but not a hair genetics anomaly. :p

MissMuse
December 13th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I don't have either of my parents hair but have my grandmother's hair 100%. She had thick wild coarse hair and I do too. She used to say hairdressers would always comment on the volume of her hair and I have identical conversations with my hairdressers. My mum and dad both had pretty normal hair and so do my siblings. My hair however looks like medusa some mornings that is very hard to tame, but I am now embracing instead of fighting .

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 02:55 PM
I also take hair after my dad too 100%. It was never long but just short and curly. My mom's hair is thick and coarse. But I took the length after my dad's side.

Arciela
December 13th, 2019, 03:48 PM
My Dad's hair and his side of the family has 1a/F/ii/i hair and my moms side...well, they have hair like me! 6" circumference pony tails and tons of poofy hair >.< When we all used to go to the salon it was an all day thing, they usually have 3 people working on one of us. Glad I don't go anymore!

lapushka
December 13th, 2019, 04:24 PM
A couple years ago, we had a thread on the hair color of our parents, you can find that here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135706

Might be worth checking out.

My parents both have (had) black hair, their natural color. My mom's is 1b/c and my dad's is about 2b. My dad and mom both have F hair, my dad had thick hair in his youth, my mom average thickness (which has thinned out after pregnancy, and after menopause).

I think that's about it.

I had 1b/c hair up until puberty, when I switched to my dad's texture.

Servana
December 13th, 2019, 05:36 PM
What an interesting topic 🙂

Dad: Born white blonde but turned to black by adulthood. Very thick. It's currently 3a curly and white, around mid-back length. He wears it in a ponytail or a bun.

Mum: Naturally red but she hated it and always dyed it white blonde. Very thin, fine and 1b straight. She always kept it quite short.

Me: Born with almost black hair that lightened to medium-dark brown by adulthood. Very thick and 2a/2b wavy. I definitely get my hair from my dad (and pretty much all my other features!) So I expect when I'm his age my hair will be curly as well. It used to be completely straight but it's gotten more and more textured with age.

0xalis
December 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM
My mom's hair is pretty much the exact same colour as mine but more 1b/1c. She has face framing layers in a style like this https://focusonhair.com/sites/default/files/styles/response_image/public/images/FS-10-felicia%201.jpg?itok=D3MCTQyu
But with blunt bangs, and none of those blonde highlights.
Her hair is BSL right now but she prefers it in the range of shoulder to APL. It's rather healthy, surprisingly. She stopped using the curling iron and started using her blow dryer and round brush instead. Still uses a crap ton of hair spray though lol. She does monthly coconut oil treatments now too.

My dad's hair used to be long, black and thick, 3a. Probably waist+ stretched, but mid back curly.
But now it's scraggly thin 3a silver and white, always pulled into a tight pony with a metal-bound elastic at the base of his skull... the breakage is extremely obvious and it's horrible. It hurts me to look at.
And there's no convincing him to do anything about it.
He won't cut it, he's a longhair, but a lazy one at that. And a big headed aries that hates advice.
He's balding intensely, but the hair he does have could be a lot thicker and healthier if he'd just take care of it!!!!

MusicalSpoons
December 13th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Dad: blonde as a young child, darkened to fairly dark brown by teens, curly, mostly white now and bald on top (started losing it in his late teens or early twenties).

Mum: blondette as a child, darkened to mid-brown, not sure about texture but she mentions it was 'stringy' when it was longer in her childhood so probably some weak waves wanting to come out at least. Nowadays silver and white (first grey hair at 16 but didn't start to seriously grey until her thirties), thinning either due to hormones and/or weight loss.

Me: white blonde as a young child, darkened until stopped in teens at blondette I suppose (but my lengths are definitely blonde and that's how I think of myself), weak waves (Mum's stringy clumps sound familiar :lol:), F/M/ii. I've found just a handful of white hairs so far, though I am getting more and more white blonde hairs too and not just in the canopy, so we'll see how it turns out.

Brother: blonde as a young child, darkened to auburn, probably ii but looks thicker due to volume, F/M, true texture unknown - looks 1b until a couple of months after a haircut when there's definite flicking going on of its own accord; it flicks out once it gets to eyebrow level, and he has the beginnings of spirals behind one ear.

Sister: light blonde with a handful of ringlets as a young child, darkened to dark honey blonde (a bit lighter than mine), M/ii, now wavy with the odd ringlet here and there around her hairline.

My paternal Grandad died with a full head of white hair in his 80s; I have no idea what colour he or Nanny used to have as I've only known her with white hair too. My uncles and aunt all had brown hair of varying shades, but no idea what texture except Dad's twin also has curly hair. (They keep it short but it curls after the first inch or so.) My maternal Grandad had mid-/dark brown hair even when he died in his 60s, and Grandma had mid-auburn hair before she went white. One aunt has similar hair to Mum although slightly darker before she went grey, and my other aunt has blonde hair, much lighter than mine, now going white but dyeing to cover it for now. She still puts braidwaves in every night so I don't know if her natural texture is straight or just not wavy enough for her liking.

Groovy Granny
December 13th, 2019, 09:41 PM
My Mother's hair was a coarse/thick dark auburn that turned into a wirey dull salt & pepper :thud:
Sadly it caused her to color/curl/perm and hairspray/glue it to death, so that she needed a clip in hair piece to cover the entire back of her head late in life :(

Thankfully I got my Dear Dad's hair :joy:
It was fine and super light blonde as a baby.... and was a darker blonde/light brown as we aged.
Sadly he died at 38, but all his brothers had the same hair type/color and were/are white/silver like I am becoming.
They have the same texture too...from my Grandfather :heart:

My sister luckily inherited my Mother's hair :p ....and yes, she did the same thing to it as our Mom :doh:
At least I got her to stop dying her hair which was like straw;only because she was scared to go bald like our Mom.
It is now a salt & pepper pixie that she hairsprays; a person can only do so much :shrug:

Gabrielina
December 14th, 2019, 02:00 AM
Mum: 3a/3b M iii dark brown
Dad: 1c/M ii medium brown
Me: 2b/2c M iii medium brown

Siv
December 14th, 2019, 04:37 AM
Mum keeps saying she has "curly" and "thick" hair but really, she's always been 2a and a fine-y... though with lots of hairs. I think I got hers because I'm too a fine-y with lots of hair and some waveage!

They're both convinced I got my dad's because he's always had fine and thin hair, and since I once said I had thin hair strands I guess they equate that with thin hair overall... can't convince them otherwise lol

AmaryllisRed
December 14th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Now that I think about it, even though my dad and his brother have super fine, floaty hair, their dad (my grandpa, who is 88 ) has this incredibly thick, wavy silver hair. I always thought it would be nice to have his hair when I get older. At least I seem to have some thickness, even though it's fine like my dad's.

Sora Rose
December 14th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Hmm...

My hair texture is similar in appearance to my mom's, but that's where the similarity ends. As a child - from the photos and her own description - her hair was white blond, and darkened as she grew older (like around eight or ten? Can't tell by the photo, but she had dark hair then). Now her hair is very, very dark brown (almost black) and was kept in a pixie for most of my life growing up, until she randomly decided to grow it longer. She is 58 and still mostly dark brown with some silvers here and there.

HER mom had dark hair, too. Looked to be wavy, but since she curled it, I can't really tell? She never grew it longer than shoulder-length that I know of, and never went completely grey. No idea what her hair was like as a child. She was super concerned about her hair's appearance.

Mom's dad had black hair, looked straight. I know nothing else except that he still had hair when he passed.

My dad is chocolate-y brown, kept his hair short all his life and I have no idea what texture it is. Probably similar to my mom's. He, too, was blond as a kid, although he stayed blond a lot longer.

HIS mom kept her hair around shoulder length, and I really don't remember much about it. I think she had dark brown hair, but I only remember it being grey. I'd have to look at pictures. She always held it back with a hair slide in a half-up, if I'm not mistaken.

My paternal grandfather had dark hair, too, I believe... but again, it was grey when I knew him and I didn't see them often, so I don't know.

I've got four siblings, soo...

Oldest sibling: Was born with brown hair and it looks like my dad's (like a clone of him) except mildly thicker and a little less tame.
Twin siblings: Born with pale blond hair and kept it, didn't seem to darken at all and is very slightly wavy. Probably M, like everyone else.
Me: Born with paler blond hair, and darkened a little as I grew older, but not all the way. Otherwise as described, dark blond.
Youngest sibling: Born with brown hair and kept brown hair, like a sequel to my oldest sibling.

Most of my cousins, aunts, and uncles have brown hair on both sides, with the exception of one aunt that was white blond.

Ligeia Noire
December 14th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Mother has thick, straight dark brown hair.
Father has super thick wurly black hair.
Somewhere on my paternal side there must have been a blond progenitor as i have blond cousins, nephew and siblings.
My sister's hair is super thick, Iberian blond and straight.
I wish she would grow longer than waist...

MoonRabbit
December 14th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I 100% have my mother's hair. Average thickness, reddish dark brown color, lots of volume. We both had full heads of ringlets as children. My mom had knee length hair for like 30 years, now she keeps it short.

As for my father, he had dark brown to nearly black silky hair.

Dirtyblonde
December 14th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Mum: thick, coarse and red
Dad: fine, straight, and dark brown/almost black
Me: fine, straight, and medium brown/dark blonde

Deborah
December 14th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Dad had very thick, coarse, very wavy, dark brown hair which went grey quite early.
Mum had medium thickness, very fine, straight, dark brown hair which went grey quite late.
My hair is entirely like Mum's.

jane_marie
December 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM
In her youth, my mother had thick very very coarse (much coarser than mine) auburn brown hair with a 2b curl which she kept between shoulder and armpit length until she had me. She is 61 now she still has very very thick strands but her shade has transformed to a gorgeous titanium streaked with bright silver which she keeps short.

My father is 65. He has a full head of fine hair that kept 2" at it's longest and is slowly turning grey. Right now his colour looks a lot like that trendy ash blonde that seems to be so hot right now. His hair stayed a vibrant platinum white blonde until his late 20s when is slowly started to become more and more muted and ashy.

I seem to have inherited my great grandmother's hair color and thickness. I don't know who's texture I have.

spidermom
December 14th, 2019, 03:54 PM
I do not have hair like either one of my parents. I'm not sure about the mailman.

lithostoic
December 14th, 2019, 04:58 PM
My Dad has chocolate brown, super fine soft hair. It gets loose spiral curls probably 2b/c when long. When short it brushes out smooth and straight with a slight bend. His hair density is probably the same as mine by looking at photos.

My mom has fine/medium hair like mine. Almost the same natural color too, hers is just slightly darker and more golden. However it is thinner and more textured. Her waves are probably 2b when untouched. It was straighter when she was younger, same as me.

So besides my hair color (lightest in the family) and strand thickness, I got everything from my mom except my hair density which is my Dad's. Interestingly, both parents have finer hair than mine. My Dad's dad has coarse hair like a brush. Could just be the mix of genes.

HaMalka
December 14th, 2019, 05:50 PM
My mother has straight brown hair. My father has curly black hair. Both of this was before greying/balding. My father used to have thick hair but no longer does and I don't know about my mother. My fathers is fairly coarse my mothers fairly fine.

I have a different brown then my mother's and am wavy so in between my parents on texture. My hair is thicker than theirs is currently but as I don't know their thickness when younger I can't answer on thickness.

My sisters: One has hair fairly similar to mine but not quite as thick and a different shade of brown. One is a fine thin redhead.

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Honestly my hair is a perfect half between my mothers hair and my dads hair. My moms hair is light brown fine and curly. She ended up going through a long period of stress and lost half the thickness. However, it’s starting to grow in thicker. My dad had long thick chocolate brown hair. Naturally I have light brown hair with a natural chocolatey brown lowlight.

Estrid
December 20th, 2019, 11:15 PM
My father shaves his hair off, so it's a bit hard to tell what colour it is, but I'd guess it's a medium to dark blonde, he used to be light blonde as a child. Judging by the rest of his side of the family, his hair is probably straight and on the thinner side.
My mother got red hair, wavy (2c, I'd say). She used to have a copper red shade as a child but it has gotten lighter with age, also got wavier with age. She used to have really thick hair but it's gotten a little thinner with age as well.

I got middle blonde hair, ii thickness and a 2a/2b hair type, so I suppose I turned into some sort of mix.