PDA

View Full Version : I'm a date to a holiday work party... how should I do my hair?

FrayedFire
December 11th, 2019, 05:54 PM
I want to learn something new and fancy looking but I'm not even sure what kind of style I want to wear!

I'd prefer to keep the majority of my hair protected, and I tend to wear chopsticks to keep my hair up, but I like a softer look and don't mind 2 or 3 bobby pins if necessary. I like braids but I don't feel like wearing one big loose one, and I'm not a fan of French/Dutch style except on maybe rope braids but I'm not practiced with that. I only really know like three buns and I just use variations of them, and while I can do that and just add decorations, if the actual bun was more complex looking (but simple to do), I would be happy to learn another style.

spidermom
December 11th, 2019, 07:22 PM
It would be helpful to know how long your hair is.

I had a special occasion in November and ended up curling my hair and adding a peacock feather hair slide. It looked good.

ExpectoPatronum
December 11th, 2019, 08:24 PM
I agree knowing your length would be helpful.

I personally spring for braids or a half up for special occasions. You could even combine the two and braid the top section of hair. HTH!

SpottedBackson
December 12th, 2019, 12:30 AM
Christmas tree shape complete with lights please!!

Gabrielina
December 12th, 2019, 01:16 AM
I voted half up because that is probably how I would wear. It's elegant and it actually shows the hair length and beauty (color, shine) instead of hiding it in a bun, be it a cute one. Just my thought.
Have fun! :waltz:

FrayedFire
December 12th, 2019, 05:35 AM
Whoops, I thought it was in my profile! I'm at classic.

lapushka
December 12th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Maybe a Nautilus, a LWB (lazy wrap bun) or a logroll would be nice. So many nice options for buns, for sure when you are classic length!

FrayedFire
December 12th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Maybe a Nautilus, a LWB (lazy wrap bun) or a logroll would be nice. So many nice options for buns, for sure when you are classic length!

I wear a LWB like... every day. I really should expand my repertoire instead of varying the same bun, but it is a favourite of mine.

FrayedFire
December 12th, 2019, 07:26 AM
I had a special occasion in November and ended up curling my hair and adding a peacock feather hair slide. It looked good.
I thought about curling my hair. How long does it even take to put in rag curls though? Cause my hair does nooooot like to curl.

lapushka
December 12th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I wear a LWB like... every day. I really should expand my repertoire instead of varying the same bun, but it is a favourite of mine.

So why not wear what you are comfortable with and that you know can't go wrong? There's nothing wrong with that at all! :)

neko_kawaii
December 12th, 2019, 08:33 AM
For holiday parties I pull out my Rudolph finishing pin set: one red pompom and two googly eyes. But I'm silly like that.

Rope braided buns look very fancy without any extra effort.

cjk
December 12th, 2019, 09:15 AM
it would also help to know the dress code. A formal black tie event would be different than a typical office party, for instance.

I would go with the Christmas theme. Start with some bright green kanekalon extensions, braided in.

Add one or two miniature red Christmas ornaments and maybe a sprig of holly.

bparnell75
December 12th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I vote for something you do well with a small poinsetta flower or other small Christmas decoration in the hair.

FrayedFire
December 12th, 2019, 06:46 PM
It's going to be hosted at Seasons 52, so a little fancy but not like... some big grand gala. I'm liking the idea of rope braids and a bun with some decorations... What are some buns that are of similar difficulty level to a LWB? I may end up defaulting to it, but I really would like to at least try something new if I can!

CopperButterfly
December 12th, 2019, 07:34 PM
https://youtu.be/Umz6pNWk9oQ
Maybe try this lazy wrap ponytail? I learned it recently for a concert I was performing in and got lots of compliments.

Some other bills to try that are similar in difficulty are the Nessa bun. If I had classic length hair, I'd probably do a Coronet braid.

FrayedFire
December 13th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I've heard of the nessa bun a lot, it does look like an upside down LWB, but I'm not a huge fan of how that looks. I do look great in a coronet braid, so I might do a mini one if I can get it to hold a thinner braid, along with a fancy bun or whatever.

SleepyTangles
December 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Ooooh, the possibilities!
IŽd say do something different than usual. You wear it up? Then let it down, or do a pretty half updo. You wear it in a long braid? Then do a fancy bun.
Just have fun with it :D

CopperButterfly
December 13th, 2019, 11:22 PM
An accent Coronet braid with a bun sounds really pretty. Another bun you could try is the neoma knot bun. I think it looks really neat. https://youtu.be/Y9W-qAKY_1I

FrayedFire
December 14th, 2019, 01:07 PM
I love the Neoma Knot but I've been having trouble getting it tight... I also made the questionable decision to SMT last night...

FrayedFire
December 14th, 2019, 09:59 PM
https://ibb.co/d5F8Lt1

Went with an almost Neoma Knot held by chopsticks and an accent rope crown and a piece left loose.

CopperButterfly
December 15th, 2019, 12:05 AM
So pretty! That accent rope braid looks really nice.